PDA

View Full Version : Buchanan Hand Press

Barbarosa
01-26-2018, 09:54 AM
Been thinking about one, just moved into a fifth wheel and thinking I could still reload. Anyone use one or see in person?

EDG
01-26-2018, 10:51 AM
He posts here a lot. Do a Search.

AZ Pete
01-26-2018, 12:08 PM
looks like an old Huntington hand press. I had a Huntington, good for very low volume. A very capable press though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wayne Smith
01-26-2018, 01:16 PM
Keep your fingers open, get a ram prime, and enjoy the process. I have number 41 and use it once in a while. I prime on an RCBS bench unit anyway.

LUBEDUDE
01-26-2018, 09:46 PM
It is a very versatile, smooth hand tool. I love mine, though I have not used it in quite a while. It was money well spent.

Mr_Sheesh
01-27-2018, 12:41 AM
I may well upgrade eventually from the Lee Hand Press I have, they look nice. My budget bites tho so not this week.

Green Frog
01-27-2018, 10:03 AM
I may well upgrade eventually from the Lee Hand Press I have, they look nice. My budget bites tho so not this week.

I went through the same steps,Mr_Sheesh. I had to have a field press and bought the Lee for price and availability. I used it and a couple of the guys I shot with borrowed and used it as well... all with perfect satisfaction. It only got replaced when a NOS HDS Compac became available at an attractive price at a gun show. While the nicer version of the hand press is... nicer, I probably would have been just as happy with the Lee if that had been the way things went. You get what you pay for though, and there is a certain pride of ownership and satisfaction when you go top shelf. :mrgreen:

Froggie

PS One special use for mine is a final taper crimp on loaded rounds that don’t pass the “plunk test.” I don’t have to go back and reset my bench press that way. I can even do this at the range. ;)

Barbarosa
01-27-2018, 03:36 PM
Thanks everyone for all the information

Smoke4320
01-27-2018, 03:56 PM
Buchanan Hand Press Its a quality press .. well made for the price ..

pjames32
01-28-2018, 01:43 PM
I have one in our 5th wheel. Using it to work up 270 loads while on the road. I brought a powder scale and a Lee hand primer with me. Working well, but slow production.

Nueces
01-28-2018, 03:38 PM
It is a slow process with any single hole hand operated machine. The Buchanan (I have two) is a fine tool and can be taken along where other tools cannot be. It does not require a bench mounting, but it can be so mounted. The RCBS Partner press is a real treasure if space for a bench mount can be provided, even temporarily (mine is bolted to a steel plate and thus mounted using a C clamp). But, if hand operation is needed, the Buchanan is tops. Handsome thing, too.