PDA

View Full Version : 50th Anniversary Ruger ?

jack19512
08-27-2008, 05:35 PM
My 50th Anniversary 44 mag Ruger has shot way to the left since new so I decided to send it back to Ruger so they could check it out but when I went to ship it back the shipping was going to be $58.00 and some change! OUCH!!!!

Anyone have any ideas for some other options I may have? I am not going to pay $400.00 for a revolver and then pay $58.00 to ship it back so they can try to make it right. :roll:

nicholst55
08-28-2008, 09:58 PM
Call Ruger and politely explain the problem to them. Ask them if they will send a call tag for it (ship it on their dime). Most likely they will.

454PB
08-28-2008, 10:06 PM
Another solution is to take it back to the selling dealer. He can mail it USPS for a lot less.

jack19512
08-29-2008, 10:26 PM
Call Ruger and politely explain the problem to them. Ask them if they will send a call tag for it (ship it on their dime). Most likely they will.

I did just that and the UPS man picked up the Ruger 44 Mag today. I hope Ruger can find out what is wrong with the revolver because I like it a lot. With the windage screw adjusted to the point it was ready to fall out the pistol was still shooting to the left about 3-4 inches at 25 yards with factory ammo.

jack19512
08-29-2008, 10:30 PM
Another solution is to take it back to the selling dealer. He can mail it USPS for a lot less.

That might have been an option but where I purchased the revolver was over two hours from home at a place I like to do business with. :)

MakeMineA10mm
09-07-2008, 12:05 AM
I just ordered mine, as CDNN has a deal on them for the left-overs from Ruger.

I hope mine shoots straight ahead instead of to the left! [smilie=1:

gunsbrad
09-08-2008, 07:29 AM
me too.

Mine should be here this week, I hope. All the ones I have inspected look to be very nice for factory guns. I hope this one will be the same.

Brad

jack19512
09-08-2008, 07:36 AM
Anyone get to shoot theirs yet?

AnthonyB
09-09-2008, 02:50 PM
I have about 1000 rounds through the one I bought two years ago. It is my favorite revolver, and the best finished/dimensioned Ruger I've ever owned. I haven't done any real accuracy testing but can compete well offhand against my kids firing their their scoped 22's from the bench at broken pieces of clay birds at 25 yards. Paper plates are easy at 75 yards from any supported position, and plinking at rocks on the 100 yard berm is a blast.
The only problem with mine is also that the rear sight is off-centered to the right after zeroing, and the front sight is angled just enough compared to the rear sight that I think the barrel was probably turned a little too far. It isn't distracting and I just ignore it.
I may eventually find a 4 5/8 inch barrel for it to create the closest thing to an affordable, perfectly sized and weighted 44 Special I can get. I'll buy a 357 version as soon as I find one at a good deal.
What is the price from CDNN? I paid $469 for mine shortly after they came out.
Tony

MakeMineA10mm
09-09-2008, 09:02 PM
Anthony,
They're $389, and they have 357s too! [smilie=1: :drinks: :mrgreen: :Fire:

MakeMineA10mm
09-12-2008, 11:17 PM
Anyone get to shoot theirs yet?

Jack,
Shot mine today. I'm quite pleased. I took out some light loads (7.5grs W231 and 210gr RNFP in 44 Magnum cases). It shot into about 1.5" at 10 yards. (Yeah, that's wimpy range, but it was raining, and today was the only day I had range opportunity time for a week...) Anyway, it shot to the left and high, just like the other's. Lowering the rear sight was easy and good, because the sight was sticking up higher than I liked anyway... Now, the screwing of the "micro clicks" to get the windage set was rediculous!! I had to have the rear sight so far to the right that two turns of threads on the windage screw were sticking out the side of the rear sight!!!

I'm going to call Ruger and see what they suggest I do... I'm also definitely hanging on to it for a little while, because my "Keith Loads" are going to get tested in it, before it ever gets sent back... (My Keith loads are equivalent to Elmer's old heavy load - 17.5grs 2400 & Keith boolit, but I load mine with AA#9 and put it in Magnum cases, instead of Special cases...)

jack19512
09-13-2008, 10:32 AM
[QUOTE=MakeMineA10mm;394809] Now, the screwing of the "micro clicks" to get the windage set was rediculous!! I had to have the rear sight so far to the right that two turns of threads on the windage screw were sticking out the side of the rear sight!!!

I'm going to call Ruger and see what they suggest I do... QUOTE]

Sounds just about like mine. Keep in mind that you were shooting at a distance of only 10 yards and not something like 25 yards. Try it at 25 yards or even 50 yards and see how bad the windage thing gets. I can tell you exactly what Ruger will tell you, they will tell you to send it back to them. I was glad Ruger picked up the shipping cost for me. I really like the revolver but if they can't do anything about the windage problem I will sell mine and get something else. :(

gunsbrad
09-14-2008, 07:57 AM
I picked mine up Friday evening. I have all kinds of ammo a beautiful weekend to shoot, plenty of time, and I will not be able to fire it.

It is impossible to thumb cock this revolver the cylinder is binding so bad. It took alot just to get the cylinder out and I thought the yellow safety ring was binding. Nope there is a visible protrusion on the ratchet pad. I e-mailed Ruger first thing and will call Monday after work. This is a brand new gun. I hope it doesn't have to go back a second time for sight work. I really don't want to sell this thing but Ruger will make it right.

Brad

jack19512
09-14-2008, 01:26 PM
I hope it doesn't have to go back a second time for sight work.

That really sucks, but I guess it happens. If you have to send it back try to get them to look at the revolver to see how it shoots while it is there for the other problem.

MakeMineA10mm
09-14-2008, 06:04 PM
I picked mine up Friday evening. I have all kinds of ammo a beautiful weekend to shoot, plenty of time, and I will not be able to fire it.

It is impossible to thumb cock this revolver the cylinder is binding so bad. It took alot just to get the cylinder out and I thought the yellow safety ring was binding. Nope there is a visible protrusion on the ratchet pad. I e-mailed Ruger first thing and will call Monday after work. This is a brand new gun. I hope it doesn't have to go back a second time for sight work. I really don't want to sell this thing but Ruger will make it right.

Brad

That really sucks, but I guess it happens. If you have to send it back try to get them to look at the revolver to see how it shoots while it is there for the other problem.

Yes! Tell them you bought it to be a "shooter," not a "looker"!!! They should be able to run a couple cylinders full through it (should do that anyway to make sure the binding problem is fully addressed), and if they'd just pay attention to where it was hitting, they could solve that problem on the same trip...

jack19512
09-14-2008, 07:55 PM
I'll be honest with you, I am starting to worry a bit about Ruger's quality control. At least I did get to shoot mine although I can't say I would have been able to hit anything. I had hoped to get mine set up for deer hunting this fall but I don't know now.

I didn't have any problem with the elevation but if I were to shoot at anything around 50 yards or so I would probably have to aim to the right about a foot or more. Mine never grouped that well either at 25 yards. I was actually getting better groups with my cast than I was with factory ammo. But it still wasn't anything to brag about.

gunsbrad
09-15-2008, 07:27 AM
Jack,

I am not at all happy with the situation with my ruger, but S##t happens to all manufacturers. Last year I bought a brand new Marlin 1895 cowboy with a constriction in the barrel. I have seen new sith and wessons where the barrel breaks off at the frame. These are considered some of the best manufacturers in America. With lesser quality guns it happens more frequently. Of all the new guns I have seen, and I see quite a few, these three american makers have fewer out of the box problems than all the others. I am not happy about it, but I am confident Ruger will make it right. Marlin made my 1895 right, and boy is it right.

I remember reading Elmer Keith had to send a Smith .22 outdoorsman back in the 30s for a badly misaligned cylinder. It happens Smith made it right. I usually buy used guns, but when I buy new I always buy from a good maker, and inspect, inspect, inspect so they can make it right if needs be. It is usually right. This one just happens not to be.

Brad

Larry Gibson
09-15-2008, 12:12 PM
I've shot mine quite a bit since I got it in June of '06. It shot to the left also and I paid the tab and returned it to Ruger. They fixed it very quickly and returned "no charge". it now zeroes within 1-2 clicks of center depending on load. I haven't seriously benched mine with cast yet as I'm just finishing the last of 500 Jacketed Magnum loads through it. However first groups with cast loads were quite good. I expect very good results now that the revolver has 500 jacketed bullets through it. With my sorry eyes I can hold 4-5" six shot groups at 50 yards with the iron sights using the magnum load. In my younger days I could do much better....might have to put a scope or one of the small dot sights on it but probably won't. I'll probably do that with my 7 1/2" Bisley .41 for hunting and just leave this 50th Anniversary as the nice carry revolver that it is.

Larry Gibson

AlaskaMike
09-15-2008, 03:25 PM
I bought mine in early 2007, and it's the most accurate revolver I own. It seems to like anything I load in it as well.

Mike

jack19512
09-15-2008, 08:43 PM
gunsbrad

I see that you are from pound, been there many times. I use to work at a deep mine there many years ago. I am from Hazard, Perry county Ky. I really hope they fix mine as I like the revolver a lot. I am anxious to get it back. I was going to call Ruger today to see if I could find out what the turn around time might be but never got to it. I will call them tomorrow.

MakeMineA10mm
09-16-2008, 12:07 AM
I was actually getting better groups with my cast than I was with factory ammo. But it still wasn't anything to brag about.

I haven't seriously benched mine with cast yet as I'm just finishing the last of 500 Jacketed Magnum loads through it.

OK, y'all are losing me here... What's "Factory" ammo and what are "jacketed" bullets??? [smilie=1:

Larry Gibson
09-16-2008, 01:57 AM
OK, y'all are losing me here... What's "Factory" ammo and what are "jacketed" bullets??? [smilie=1:

Blowing smoke aside I'll answer the question as some new guys here might think you're serious;-)

The 500 jacketed bullets will smooth the barrel and reduce and constriction (if there is any) at the threaded end of the barrel. Simply a fun way to break in the barrel by shooting it. Had the jacketed bullets and they are reloads, not "factory".

Larry Gibson

MakeMineA10mm
09-16-2008, 03:30 PM
:mrgreen:

jack19512
09-16-2008, 04:21 PM
Now even I would be able to figure that out! [smilie=w:

jack19512
09-17-2008, 03:52 PM
The lady from Ruger returned my call today and informed me that it would be another 4 weeks before they shipped my Ruger back to me. :cry:

gunsbrad
09-21-2008, 08:17 AM
jack,

Hazard ain't far at all. My shooting partner is from Jenkins.

Ruger sent me a UPS shipper and picked up the gun on Tuesday. They should have it by now but I have not heard from them as yet. I put a note in the box to check the rear sight. We'll see what happens. I hope it is not too long.

Brad

jack19512
09-21-2008, 06:22 PM
I could be wrong but it seems like I have read several posts(actually too many) about problems with the 50th anniversary 44 mag revolvers. It's kind of sad to think that their 50th anniversary revolvers would have so many lemons in them.

You can expect around 5 to 6 weeks before you get it back. I think I should be getting mine back in about 3 weeks now. I miss it, it is the only 44 mag I have. If they send it back without finding anything wrong I am going to be very disappointed. :(

jack19512
09-21-2008, 06:25 PM
I forgot to mention that you will get a card in the mail from them when they receive it. Or at least I did.

sargeny1
09-21-2008, 07:49 PM
OK..now I am going to jump in.....MINE went back TWICE to ruger over the last year.....its original barrel was ROUGH and full of machine marks AND had a circular ring of PITTING about 1" back from the muzzle.....got it back in 4 weeks with ANOTHER BAD BARREL...SAME PITTING about haflway around the barrel at midpoint......BACK AGAIN to ruger.....came back to me with a decent, meaning NO PITTING, barrel....AND WITHOUT any rollmark anywhere "50Th Anniversary"...!!!!????? I will say the accuracy is SUPERB......One hole groups at 25yds with 250gr. Keith H&G #503's and 10 Grains of Unique......Took 'em LONG enough to get mine right.....it should NEVER have been released for sale with a PITTED barrel...AND NARY a word of explanation from ruger.....
They are slapping them together soooo fast that quality control has gone south....period.....
Pete

Bass Ackward
09-21-2008, 08:01 PM
I could be wrong but it seems like I have read several posts(actually too many) about problems with the 50th anniversary 44 mag revolvers. It's kind of sad to think that their 50th anniversary revolvers would have so many lemons in them. :(

If you think about it, I'd say Ruger is playing the odds. Any " anniversary model " is destined to be a collector's piece, more than a shooter.

Of the one's that aren't, most of those will be shot with jacketed where chances are, very few people would notice.

Moral of the story, it's logical to assume anniversary models and other special additions are a good place for manufacturers to get rid of all the marginal parts they have been stuck with.

NHlever
09-21-2008, 09:49 PM
One thing to keep in mind is that a small problem in a production line can let a lot of the same problem throuh in a short time. Normally, such things are caught, and backtracked, but sometimes some of the early ones get shipped before the problem is noticed. The front sights on Blackhawks are soldered on the barrel after the barrel is torqued to the frame, and it sounds to me like they had an issue with the tooling that aligns the sight to the frame while the sight is being soldered on. If you saw pitting inside the barrel, that could also be from the sight soldering process, and I'm sure that Ruger will make good on it! There can be a delicate balance between getting the sight, and barrel warm enough for the high temperature solder to flow correctly, and getting it warm enough to damage the barrel. I'm sorry that such a batch of problems showed up on one lot of guns, we don't like to hear about that with any manufacturer's products! My new Ruger Blackhawk 4 5/8" 45 Colt has a very smooth bore, and the sights are centered very well. I've only put a hundred, or so rounds through it so far, but it seems to be very well built so far.

MtGun44
09-22-2008, 02:08 AM
Mine works pretty well. I only have about 4-5 different loads tested
so far, but a couple have been pretty good. I like it and got a bargain
price from CDNN.

This is better than my SBH will normally do, but it has fat throats and
needs really large boolits to do it's best work.

Bill

jack19512
09-22-2008, 03:36 AM
....AND WITHOUT any rollmark anywhere "50Th Anniversary"...!!!!????? I will say the accuracy is SUPERB......One hole groups at 25yds with 250gr. Keith H&G #503's and 10 Grains of Unique......

I would prefer mine stayed as I purchased it but have to admit if that is what it took to get mine to shoot like that I would gladly be satisfied with the change. I purchased mine to shoot, not to look at.

Below is a pic of the best group I got with mine using jacketed bullets . Distance was only 18 yards and using a rest. Windage screw was adjusted to the point I was afraid it would come out and I would lose it. Group measured right at 3 1/2 inches.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a63/jack19512/44magjacketed.jpg

jack19512
09-22-2008, 03:46 AM
I should add that I did get better groups with my cast bullets but still shooting to the left and at the distance I was shooting from was nothing to brag about.

NHlever
09-22-2008, 03:59 AM
Is the gun at Ruger now? I'm sure that they will go through it for you. If you have concerns that you haven't talked to them about, be sure that you do while they have it. If you think it should be rebarreled ( the cause of the sight problem) say so, and if you are concerned about cylinder throat diameter, want a test group back with the gun, or such things make sure you mention that too in a courtious way.

shotman
09-22-2008, 04:57 AM
I had 2 Rugers in 454 the first one I fired 6 shots and had to take a wood dowel and drive the brass out of cylinder. I fires 6 more and they were in gun when i sent back. I got it back the fired shell came out fine but the gun shot 4 in high at 25yds [this was 6in barrel] i bought a 8in gun and shot it. It shot ok but the shell were a little hard to get out so I switched cylinders and sold the 6in. Last year I bought a S&W 460 , the performance center, had it about a week and got a letter from S&W they had a recall on them. I am a ffl but that one I bought/traded from another dealer/store. I took it back to him and got the reg 8 1/2 and some money back. This one is the most accurate pistol I have ever shot. Last deer season ,first time I shot the gun 1 shot at 83yds deer was turned around and didnt move. With cast in 45colt cases at 25yds off rest will keep in 10 ring. The only problem is its heavy, and if I had to shoot the thing twice like the deer[no ear plugs] he would have to just go away. shotman

Lloyd Smale
09-22-2008, 06:42 AM
watch these aniversary 44s a bit. My buddys had the barrel come loose and turn and ive heard of a couple more that did the same. Mine went right to dustin linebaugh to have the barrel wacked and ive never shot it. I think someone at ruger was asleep on the line for a couple days.

MakeMineA10mm
09-22-2008, 03:09 PM
If you think about it, I'd say Ruger is playing the odds. Any " anniversary model " is destined to be a collector's piece, more than a shooter.

Of the one's that aren't, most of those will be shot with jacketed where chances are, very few people would notice.

Moral of the story, it's logical to assume anniversary models and other special additions are a good place for manufacturers to get rid of all the marginal parts they have been stuck with.

One thing to keep in mind is that a small problem in a production line can let a lot of the same problem throuh in a short time. Normally, such things are caught, and backtracked, but sometimes some of the early ones get shipped before the problem is noticed. The front sights on Blackhawks are soldered on the barrel after the barrel is torqued to the frame, and it sounds to me like they had an issue with the tooling that aligns the sight to the frame while the sight is being soldered on. If you saw pitting inside the barrel, that could also be from the sight soldering process, and I'm sure that Ruger will make good on it! There can be a delicate balance between getting the sight, and barrel warm enough for the high temperature solder to flow correctly, and getting it warm enough to damage the barrel. I'm sorry that such a batch of problems showed up on one lot of guns, we don't like to hear about that with any manufacturer's products! My new Ruger Blackhawk 4 5/8" 45 Colt has a very smooth bore, and the sights are centered very well. I've only put a hundred, or so rounds through it so far, but it seems to be very well built so far.

You both make good arguments. Having been in manufacturing, I can tell you that in this day and age (communication age / internet age) even sending one bad product out the door has a potentially too-devastating effect. I think the idea that "collectible" models are where the bad parts go on the theory that it saves money over junking the parts and will be less of an exposure to warranty work flies in the face of the potential liability combined with the bad word-of-mouth, ESPECIALLY when all the gun-writer reviews of this (Taffin on the web plus reviews in GUNS magazine and Handloader magazine) said something to the effect of "although some will never shoot theirs and keep it pristine as a collectible, many will shoot 'em." I wonder how much the warranty work costs for only half of the 1000(?) made when you add in shipping both ways (sometimes multiple times) plus the actual labor and parts involved? (My guess is that it's more expensive than it would have been just junking any bad parts involved...)

Where these two theories might cross is that these that CDNN are putting out may be the ones that were sent back to the factory over the last 1.5 years because of the sight/barrel problem, and Ruger decided to blow them out at a good price through CDNN rather than fix them right. I doubt this too, because they were touted as New-In-Box, which is blatently false if these were sold once and sent back and replaced under warranty...

watch these aniversary 44s a bit. My buddys had the barrel come loose and turn and ive heard of a couple more that did the same. Mine went right to dustin linebaugh to have the barrel wacked and ive never shot it. I think someone at ruger was asleep on the line for a couple days.

I agree. Maybe not asleep, but maybe a new employee, or maybe the demands of production numbers made sloppiness more acceptable... Ruger's reputation is made on being tough-as-a-tank while maintaining low prices forced them to cut corners on QA maybe.

I mean, I'd think there'd be a test jig they put these in that assures the front sight/barrel was mounted properly. I know they have super-sensitive measuring equipment that double-checks tolerances on machining. (Helps assure nothing is out of spec and keeps track of tool wear so that the tools can be changed before something gets out-of-spec.) Hopefully, they have testing jigs that double-check assembly processes, as the human element is at least as fallible as tools wearing out.......

Combined with my thoughts in the paragraph above, I think an accountant somewhere needs to point out to Ruger that their "break-even" point on quality control needs to be upped a little bit.

NHlever
09-22-2008, 03:37 PM
Well, speculation is just that, and nothing more either way. I know that the folks running Ruger understand that quality is important........ but we still have to keep them honest don't we! :-)

jack19512
09-23-2008, 05:36 PM
I am curious to know if quality control is important to Ruger why do some have to keep sending something back to them until they (hopefully)get it right. I know I don't want to have to send mine back to them again and wait another 6 weeks. I am hoping they get it right the first time. Well, technically the second time I guess now. [smilie=b:

gunsbrad
09-24-2008, 07:34 AM
jack,

I am with you. I think quality control is important to them, but their definition of quality is different than mine. .010 barrel cylinder gap is in spec for them, but I always fix this spec on my guns, along with several wacky specs.

When I buy a new factory gun of any make I fully expect to fix problems. As Johnny Cash said "I don't like it, but I guess things happen that way."

At least our problems they are willing to fix. Ask them to fix undersize throats some time.

Brad

MakeMineA10mm
09-24-2008, 11:47 AM
I am curious to know if quality control is important to Ruger why do some have to keep sending something back to them until they (hopefully)get it right. I know I don't want to have to send mine back to them again and wait another 6 weeks. I am hoping they get it right the first time. Well, technically the second time I guess now. [smilie=b:

jack,

I am with you. I think quality control is important to them, but their definition of quality is different than mine. .010 barrel cylinder gap is in spec for them, but I always fix this spec on my guns, along with several wacky specs.

When I buy a new factory gun of any make I fully expect to fix problems. As Johnny Cash said "I don't like it, but I guess things happen that way."

At least our problems they are willing to fix. Ask them to fix undersize throats some time.

Brad

I had an acquaintence once who sent a shotgun back to Mossberg about 4 times, because of a blemish in the finish. Finally Mossberg said, "if you'd like we'll just keep the gun and reimburse you your money..." This same fellow sent a Vaquero back to Ruger about 7 times because the chemically-induced case-hardened finish kept wearing off. Now, this fellow was an engineer and Ruger explained the investment casting steel vs. costs for real as opposed to chemical case hardening, and he still sent that Vaquero back and forth. It spent more time in the hands of UPS drivers than it did in his holster!

Obviously, there is a cost vs. benefit point where Ruger puts out decent quality (in their eyes) vs. the cost it would take to make them better. They want sufficiently-quality guns that are built like tanks so they last and don't need a lot of work over the years. Now, we want something more than what Ruger put into it. I'm OK with that, and agree with you guys that I like well-constructed guns (especially revolvers). However, we must pick our battles on what kind of problems Ruger really needs to fix, and HOW MUCH they need to fix them.

I don't want to be like my acquaintance. Personally, I'm happy if Ruger gets it so the screw isn't sticking out of the rear sight. If the blade is still obviously waaay over to the right, but the screw is inside the edges of the sight base, I'm OK with that. If I wanted it to be P-E-R-F-E-C-T, I'd send it to Hamilton Bowen or one of the other 'smiths who can do perfection (actually, I'd drive the 45 minutes to Bill Oglesby's shop), and understand that I have to pay for it. For the money I paid for that Ruger, I want the screw inside the sight base. If I'd paid $150 more for it, there are a half-dozen things I'd ask Ruger to "correct." If I'd paid $750 more for it, it had better be like perfect... At the price I did pay for it, I just want the screw inside the sight base...

gunsbrad
09-24-2008, 12:31 PM
I couldn't have said it better. I concur wholehearedly.

Brad

jack19512
09-24-2008, 03:32 PM
Myself, I don't think what I am asking for is unreasonable at all. I'm not asking for a tack driver or anything like that. But I am not satisfied with a "hit the side of a barn" type accuracy either.

The farthest I have shot my 44 mag so far was 25 yards. With the accuracy I have got from it so far I would never attempt to shoot at a deer with it from 50 yards.

Just to get the bullets to hit close to bullseye at a distance of 25 yards I had to adjust the windage to the point my adjustment screw was ready to fall out. Just picture this, I use the 100 yard smallbore rifle targets like you can purchase at Walmart. They are a fairly large paper target.

When I first shot my 44 mag I started off using jacketed ammo. And this is with the rear sight centered. I started at 25 yards. I fired 6 shots and then went to examine my target. I had one round just barely touching the target on the left side. I thought to myself **** what is wrong here.

That is when I moved my target to 18 yards and went from there. My wife has her concealed carry permit and she wanted me to help her pick her out a pistol for her to carry.

She liked a Taurus light weight 38 special with 2 inch barrel with no adjustable sights so that is what she got. Accuracy wise I can do much better with it off hand than I can do with the Ruger with a rest. In other words I am satisfied with the accuracy from the Taurus but sure not satisfied with the Ruger. I can't wait to get the Ruger back and hope that it is a better performer than when it left. I will post results when I get it back.

MakeMineA10mm
09-24-2008, 05:09 PM
Oh, don't get me wrong. I don't think you're being out of line at all, Jack. I agree with you and have a similar problem. (On mine, 2.5 turns of threads are sticking out, so I've got less of a problem than you, but it's still not good.)

I just don't want to be overzealous in criticizing a company's error until I see if it gets fixed to my satisfaction first. When we get a new gun, especially if it's something we've been jonesin' for, or is a limited run (in this case, maybe not so much because of the gold scroll marks, but because they don't make the small-frame flat tops anymore), we expect it to be right. When it isn't, it's upsetting. Before we enjoy ourselves too much getting on Ruger, I'd like to see how well they address the issue. That's all.

NHlever
09-24-2008, 10:10 PM
Oh, don't get me wrong. I don't think you're being out of line at all, Jack. I agree with you and have a similar problem. (On mine, 2.5 turns of threads are sticking out, so I've got less of a problem than you, but it's still not good.)

I just don't want to be overzealous in criticizing a company's error until I see if it gets fixed to my satisfaction first. When we get a new gun, especially if it's something we've been jonesin' for, or is a limited run (in this case, maybe not so much because of the gold scroll marks, but because they don't make the small-frame flat tops anymore), we expect it to be right. When it isn't, it's upsetting. Before we enjoy ourselves too much getting on Ruger, I'd like to see how well they address the issue. That's all.

That we won't know the outcome of this until the gun comes back from Ruger. By the way, in reply to an earlier post, I know very surely that chamber throats have been corrected by Ruger, though I can't be so certain that it is their common policy, and wouldn't go on record saying that it was. I was very pleased to find my new .45 Colt had .452 chamber throats.

gunsbrad
09-25-2008, 07:26 AM
Jack,

You have a very legitimate beef and I didn't mean to suggest otherwise. A gun that won't shoot would be just as distressing as my gun that you couldn't even pull the hammer back.

NHlever,
I am certainly glad to hear they have corrected their chamber throat issues on 45s. I have inspected so many that were tight I figured it was policy. I will still probably get a blackhawk in 45 even if it did have tight throats.

Brad

jack19512
09-25-2008, 09:24 AM
I will still probably get a blackhawk in 45 even if it did have tight throats.

That is what I have been looking at and will probably be my next purchase also.

jack19512
10-07-2008, 05:09 PM
I finally got my 50th anniversary 44 mag back from Ruger today. :drinks: According to the repair receipt I got with it they repaired the barrel and the timing. I will shoot it tomorrow and see if anything has changed. :)

NHlever
10-07-2008, 07:11 PM
I was shooting my 45 Colt Blackhawk today. Windage is fine, but it could use a little taller front sight. :-)

gunsbrad
10-08-2008, 07:31 AM
Jack,

How long was your gun gone? Did they send a card saying they had it, or just mail back the gun without any notification?

Thanks
Brad Hurt

jack19512
10-08-2008, 12:35 PM
Mine was gone right at 5 weeks. Ruger sent me a card to let me know that they had received it and I had talked to Ruger after getting the card and asked if they would call me when the gun shipped back to me so I would be able to be home for the delivery.

Ruger called me yesterday to let me know the gun had been shipped back to me and that I should receive it the same day of the call which I did. There was signature required so I was glad I was able to be home.

I was really looking forward to shooting it today to see if anything had changed but I woke up to the sound of rain and it has been raining all day. :( The repair slip said the barrel and timing had been repaired, wish it had been a little more in detail. I'm more curious about the timing than the barrel.

MtGun44
10-09-2008, 12:02 AM
Good luck! Hope it shoots well.
Please report.

Bill

jack19512
10-09-2008, 04:06 PM
:mrgreen: Well I got to do some shooting with my 50th anniversary Blackhawk today and I must say I am a happy camper. The Blackhawk was shooting right on target with the rear sight centered just the way it came back to me. I still didn't have groups that I would brag on but that's probably my loads as I haven't had a chance to work up any for it yet and I didn't have any commercial ammo to try.

I also shot my new Marlin 1894 CB 44 mag and it shot real good with the 3 different cast loads I had with me that didn't shoot all that well in my Ruger 44 mag. I am real pleased with it. Also shot my 1895 CB 45/70 with my cast loads and it done real good also. You just gotta love a 45/70. When the cast boolit from the 45/70 hits the dirt backstop you can almost feel the ground shake. :-D

44man
10-09-2008, 07:39 PM
Don't shoot the 45-70 if you live in Kalifornia! :mrgreen: Starts earthquakes.

jack19512
10-09-2008, 08:22 PM
I shot my 44 mag Blackhawk and my 357 Blackhawk today and I just got through cleaning them. Does any body know how to say leading? :veryconfu It only took me about 2 hours before I could start to get clean patches through the barrels.

I don't know why I can have such good luck with my cast boolits when shooting them out of rifles but when it comes to these two revolvers I seem to struggle. I have two Lee molds for my 44 mag, the 430-310-RF and the 429-240-SWC and have used only Lee liquid alox for lube so far.

I guess I will have to start all over again from the basics and go from there. I haven't checked my rifles for leading yet but at least they both shot great today and the two revolvers didn't do that well.

unclebill
10-09-2008, 08:27 PM
i wonder if i should send mine back?
this is what it looks like.
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l272/billhedges/zsmithwesson27-2098-4.jpg

jack19512
10-09-2008, 08:44 PM
i wonder if i should send mine back?
this is what it looks like.
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l272/billhedges/zsmithwesson27-2098-4.jpg

Now that is just about what mine looked like before sending it back. And that was shooting at less than 25 yards and still shooting to the left some. Now my rear sight is centered and hits right on the bullseye although a larger group than I like but I hopefully will get that straightened out too.

AnthonyB
10-09-2008, 09:55 PM
Mine isn't that bad, but you guys have me thinking a call to Ruger might be in order. The rear sight is much farther to the right than I would prefer. Tony

jack19512
10-09-2008, 11:32 PM
I cleaned both my rifles and as far as I could tell there was no leading in either one of them. So, my inability to get decent groups and to have leading seems to be limited to my revolvers.

I slugged the barrels and measured the throats again tonight and now it's time for me to ask probably the stupidest question ever :oops: and believe me if I knew where to find the answer I wouldn't ask so here goes, what exactly is the purpose of the throats on a revolver? What job do they perform? :groner:

unclebill
10-09-2008, 11:54 PM
i am calling in the morning.

jack19512
10-10-2008, 12:10 AM
unclebill

I probably could have adjusted my rear sight a little more but I was at the point I expected the windage screw to fall out at any time. As far as the rear sight goes now I am 100% satisfied, I just got to get it shooting good groups now. I can't understand it I have such good luck with my cast boolits in rifles but can't seem to get this revolver thing right to save my life. [smilie=b:

jack19512
10-10-2008, 12:20 AM
I found this, interesting read for me.

http://www.alphaprecisioninc.com/revolver/default.htm

unclebill
10-10-2008, 12:59 AM
unclebill

I probably could have adjusted my rear sight a little more but I was at the point I expected the windage screw to fall out at any time. As far as the rear sight goes now I am 100% satisfied, I just got to get it shooting good groups now. I can't understand it I have such good luck with my cast boolits in rifles but can't seem to get this revolver thing right to save my life. [smilie=b:

well,
the way i look at it.
ive got some other sixguns that need load development so i wont miss this ruger TOO bad if it has to go away for a month or two.
and the rear sight really should be centered.
if i had to make do.
i would
but i will let ruger get this squared away for me.

JACK
are you an FFL holder?
how did you get this gun delivered to your door otherwise?
i've never returned a gun before so i dont know what it entails.
thanks
bill

jack19512
10-10-2008, 02:07 AM
JACK
are you an FFL holder?
how did you get this gun delivered to your door otherwise?
i've never returned a gun before so i dont know what it entails.
thanks
bill

No I am not an FFL. If you send yours back call Ruger and see if they would send you a paid shipping label so you can send it back to them. You will have to pack it up for shipping and put the label that they send you on the package. That is what I did and it didn't cost me a penny.

UPS even picked up the revolver at my house and they will ship it back to your house. It is 100% legal for them to do this. When the revolver gets returned back to your house someone will have to sign for it. It has to be someone at least 18 years old. I'm glad I sent mine back but that was the only 44 mag I had and I missed it.

Lloyd Smale
10-10-2008, 07:19 AM
to start the bullet into the forcing cone as straight as possible. Chambers have to be cut larger then the bullet so that you can load them without a chamber that is smaller the loaded rounds would flop around in the cylinder and smash into the forcing cone crooked and accuaracy would be non existant
I cleaned both my rifles and as far as I could tell there was no leading in either one of them. So, my inability to get decent groups and to have leading seems to be limited to my revolvers.

I slugged the barrels and measured the throats again tonight and now it's time for me to ask probably the stupidest question ever :oops: and believe me if I knew where to find the answer I wouldn't ask so here goes, what exactly is the purpose of the throats on a revolver? What job do they perform? :groner:

unclebill
10-10-2008, 07:21 AM
this is my only 44 too.

unclebill
10-10-2008, 08:30 AM
UPDATE
i called and the lady was super nice.
it will be picked up on tuesday.
and yes i was polite.:wink:

one question though.
in the letter i was told to include with the gun the lady told me to mention what kind of ammo i use so they can try to match it when they test fire.
what do i tell them?
i only use cast boolits!

jack19512
10-10-2008, 12:03 PM
one question though.
in the letter i was told to include with the gun the lady told me to mention what kind of ammo i use so they can try to match it when they test fire.
what do i tell them?
i only use cast boolits!

They never asked me anything like that. She just told me to include a note describing what problems I was having with the revolver. I would probably just say that you were just using several different brands or maybe even just pick one.

I only tried one brand of commercial jacketed ammo but the revolver shot just as much to the left with it as it did with my cast. One thing I would do though would be to make sure your barrel is clean and has no leading. Before I sent mine off I spent some time in making sure my barrel was clean like new.

unclebill
10-10-2008, 12:48 PM
will do.
thanks!

NHlever
10-10-2008, 02:07 PM
Before I sent mine off I spent some time in making sure my barrel was clean like new.

That is a good point often overlooked. It is only natural for customer service folks to be more careful, and to care more when they are working on a gun that the owner obviously cares for, and takes care of. If, however, there is something they should know about like lead buildup in one area of the forcing cone, be sure you mention it in the note, and they will look at that too while they have it.

I got to see some of the real tough cases when I worked for a firearms company. One rife was lost crossing a stream in Alaska in the fall while trapping, and recovered downstream about a mile the next spring........ amazing how the gravel was ground into that action. In another case a guy left a two digit serial number "Flatttop" out all winter in Montana to see how tough the finish was. That one we saved because of it's collector value, but it sure took some time......... actually, we saved the river swimming rifle too, because it was a real challenge. :-)

unclebill
10-12-2008, 06:45 PM
They never asked me anything like that. She just told me to include a note describing what problems I was having with the revolver. I would probably just say that you were just using several different brands or maybe even just pick one.

I only tried one brand of commercial jacketed ammo but the revolver shot just as much to the left with it as it did with my cast. One thing I would do though would be to make sure your barrel is clean and has no leading. Before I sent mine off I spent some time in making sure my barrel was clean like new.

i got a call today from UPS.
they are picking it up monday.
in my note i said i tried various types of factory ammo.
p.s.
that gun is spotless:-D