PDA

View Full Version : Wtb: Bottom Pour casting pot

Fastleo
01-25-2018, 06:51 PM
I知 really getting into casting and ladle pouring is for the birds. I知 looking for a nice used bottom pour pot.

Thanks

RogerDat
01-25-2018, 07:03 PM
What are you using for a ladle? Nothing against bottom pour but I like using a ladle. I use the Lyman little dipper and it works out pretty decent.
https://www.amazon.com/Lyman-Casting-Dipper-Multicolor-Size/dp/B001OPLJUU

I thought I would pass that on, if you already have a dipper pot might be worth trying. Otherwise good luck with finding a bottom pour. I know a lot of folks swear by them especially those that run more than one mold at a time.

claude
01-25-2018, 07:49 PM
Check your PM's

tred1956
01-25-2018, 07:53 PM
PM sent
Doug

Fastleo
01-25-2018, 11:10 PM
What are you using for a ladle? Nothing against bottom pour but I like using a ladle. I use the Lyman little dipper and it works out pretty decent.
https://www.amazon.com/Lyman-Casting-Dipper-Multicolor-Size/dp/B001OPLJUU

I thought I would pass that on, if you already have a dipper pot might be worth trying. Otherwise good luck with finding a bottom pour. I know a lot of folks swear by them especially those that run more than one mold at a time.

I知 not sure what brand my ladle is but it looks similar to the link you posted. I initially thought I would only cast for a few times a year but it seems like cast is all I shoot these days and am spending time in front of that casting pot weekly. I知 hoping to increase my productivity.

RogerDat
01-26-2018, 01:11 PM
I知 not sure what brand my ladle is but it looks similar to the link you posted. I initially thought I would only cast for a few times a year but it seems like cast is all I shoot these days and am spending time in front of that casting pot weekly. I知 hoping to increase my productivity.

Fergitaboutit - you increase productivity and then you end up shooting more. So you cast more so.... it either becomes a death spiral or a virtuous circle of joy. :bigsmyl2:

Some molds work better if you tip the mold so it is right on the spout of the ladle and pour by turning the mold and ladle together. Lead goes in under pressure, I have one mold that that was the only approach that didn't have a high reject rate that I got with pouring it in normally. Still I have given some thought to bottom pour and some molds with more cavities so I can crank out the plinking ammo. Especially the closer I get to retirement.

Bump to help a caster find a new furnace

Fastleo
01-26-2018, 04:48 PM
Fergitaboutit - you increase productivity and then you end up shooting more. So you cast more so.... it either becomes a death spiral or a virtuous circle of joy. :bigsmyl2:

Some molds work better if you tip the mold so it is right on the spout of the ladle and pour by turning the mold and ladle together. Lead goes in under pressure, I have one mold that that was the only approach that didn't have a high reject rate that I got with pouring it in normally. Still I have given some thought to bottom pour and some molds with more cavities so I can crank out the plinking ammo. Especially the closer I get to retirement.

Bump to help a caster find a new furnace

Great post!

I’m young(27) and casting/ shooting cast bullets is a great value and a ton of fun. The more I do it and learn about it the better my results get. It’s a great pastime, I’ve learned a ton off this site and I would not be where I’m at with this hobby if it wasn’t for you all. It’s a good alternative to not having someone show you in person.

94Doug
01-26-2018, 05:32 PM
I might have a small old pot you can have for the shipping. It may be a Med Flat Rate Box. I think it's a 10 # furnace.

Fastleo
01-26-2018, 05:39 PM
I think I have a deal working doug

94Doug
01-26-2018, 06:37 PM
Sounds good. Best of Luck!!