PDA

View Full Version : 30cal carbine rbh

legend
08-27-2008, 02:59 PM
i have a 30cal carbine ruger blackhawk,i am trying to use 32-20 brass.
the first load was 4gr trailboss and an old remington 98gr boolit,these print about 8 inches high at 25yds.i know future loads will be much faster,but,do you think i can get it 8 inches lower?
anyone have a load that they have had success with?
thank you
legend

Steelshooter
08-27-2008, 06:35 PM
Legend
Why are trying to use 32-20 brass? Never had a carbine pistol, the only loads I have are for full power loads with j-bullets. I can give you some 30 carbine brass if you need some.
Good luck
Chuck

leftiye
08-28-2008, 01:47 AM
Some brands of 7.62X38R Nagant revolter brass is the same size ahead of the rim as 30 carbine headsize is. 32-20 is much thinner in the neck, and this causes centering problems in the chambers (not a real big deal), and loss of case life from expansion and sizing being so extreme.

legend
09-03-2008, 12:37 PM
i have had hell through the years getting the carbine to shoot and be reliable at the same time.some went off some did not...
the 32-20 gives me a rim to headspace on (like a 38special really) and trimming wont become a factor.
the chambers in this pistol are all different depths to the sholder which sets headspace.ruger did not do a good job with this one....

i am getting the speed up better now ..but am still plagued with it shooting very high.short of a different front sight i dont know how to correct this.
thanks
leigh

yondering
09-03-2008, 01:03 PM
Low velocity and/or heavier bullets makes a handgun shoot high. Higher velocity and/or lighter bullets shoot lower. I'm guessing 4gr of Trailboss gives pretty low velocity, way lower than what the 30 Carbine was designed for.

If you are wondering about the sights having a problem (like front ramp too low, etc), try some factory ammo, or some near max loads with a jacketed bullet (Hornady's 90gr XTP is good). If those shoot to point of aim, you'll have a place to start anyway.

legend
09-03-2008, 01:17 PM
yondering
factory ammo wont fit in the chambers(too long)
i have picked up the speed to 1005fps,but,it did not change the impact.

McLintock
09-03-2008, 02:09 PM
I experimented around with this type setup before finally just having a second cylinder in 32-20 made for my .30 Carbine. I got a second .30 Carbine cylinder and opened the throats to .312", and then used bullets sized to .311", so they'd be closer to the .309" bore size. I had to shorten my brass in order to use the 115 gr gas check NEI bullet that I got a mould for, as it had a band above the crimp groove that in full length brass wouldn't chamber in the cylinder. The resulting round turned out like the one on the right in this picture, up next to two 32-20's and a 32 H&R on the left.
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1620/1303399/7384995/99286037.jpg
I had to use a combination of 32-20 and 30 carbine dies to load them, so I could seat the bullet properly, but it shot good and on target with both mild and hot loads. This load in the picture has 12.0 gr of 4227 and I also used 13-14 gr of H110 in some other loads. Overall much easier to load for with the new cylinder though. You may have to get a higher front sight in order to lower the impact point; many Rugers have this problem and are generally notorious for it. Both my Old Model .45 and .44 Flattop shoot this way and it's frustrating to say the least. I put a higher front sight on the Flattop, as it was not a collectable one, but have left the .45 as is. Hotter loads may help also.
McLintock
T

yondering
09-03-2008, 05:28 PM
yondering
factory ammo wont fit in the chambers(too long)
i have picked up the speed to 1005fps,but,it did not change the impact.

Legend, if the chambers are too short for factory ammo, Ruger should fix that for you at no charge (other than you paying to ship the gun to them). I would definitely want my chambers to be all uniform, for any hope of decent accuracy. If you don't want Ruger to do it, a gunsmith shouldn't charge very much for it. It's weird that the gun would have left the factory without being able to chamber factory ammo. Or, are the chambers just full of lead or carbon, so factory ammo won't chamber? Personally, I would sure get the gun working right before trying to develop a load for it.

1000 fps does seem pretty low. Hodgdon's online data manual lists 1760 fps with a 100gr jacketed bullet. That would definitely change your point of impact. Are you using lead or jacketed? At first I thought you had a lead boolit, but your post says it's made by Remington.

Salmon-boy
09-06-2008, 09:24 PM
Leigh,
I've got one inherited from my father in law.. Ok, Really, it's my wife's. Good thing she likes shooting it too! 2K empty cases from gibrass.com will take a long while for me to shoot alone.

I'd have to agree with the others on this. Give the cylinder a good thorough soaking and cleaning. Factory ammo SHOULD fit before you go messing with other solutions. They're fine guns and should have come from the factory that way.. I have had some trouble with rounds hanging up the cylinder, but the problem was caused by crud forward in the chambers.

IF you still have problems chambering factory ammo, call or e-mail Ruger. You should have full confidence in their abilities. Operative word there is should. If you've had problems with them before, then go the local route..

HeavyMetal
09-06-2008, 11:40 PM
I had a 30 RBH years ago, an old three screw. Lot of fun!

Shot a bunch of GI surplus ball in it. Found that every once in awhile a case would be a touch long and would cause the cylinder to drag and bind. Once I trimmed the fired brass with a Lee trimmer the problem never came back, until I shot more suplus ball! I'd say 2 out of every 30 or so rounds was to long and yes I tried to clean the gun it wasn't the problem.

I also found the the ejector housing was required me to "bend" it back into position before I could screw it back on the barrel. I mean a lot of "bend"!

Dressed the housing down a little to where it slide down the barrel and into the frame. Shot a whole bunch better after that!

I figured the tension the housing was applying to the barrel was scattering shots all over the place!

legend
09-10-2008, 02:04 PM
yondering,i did say i used remington ,they were so old they were in a red box.i dont know where i got them,but,the box was junk and it had about 76 left in it.

this gun was so bad from the factory i did not shoot it for years.the cylinder would drag badly even with factory loads,i got to looking and a hump was cast into the recoil shield of the frame and hit all the primers and scratched the brass so bad some you could not read the headstamp.i took out the trusty dremel tool and ground off the hump;now it just looks bad .but works.
because of the different depths in the step in the cylinder i am trying the 32-20 method so i dont have to fool with 30 carbine any more.
they all work fine,but,with the real high strike of the bullet i am looking to lower the hits.
leigh

yondering
09-10-2008, 08:45 PM
yondering,i did say i used remington ,they were so old they were in a red box.i dont know where i got them,but,the box was junk and it had about 76 left in it.

this gun was so bad from the factory i did not shoot it for years.the cylinder would drag badly even with factory loads,i got to looking and a hump was cast into the recoil shield of the frame and hit all the primers and scratched the brass so bad some you could not read the headstamp.i took out the trusty dremel tool and ground off the hump;now it just looks bad .but works.
because of the different depths in the step in the cylinder i am trying the 32-20 method so i dont have to fool with 30 carbine any more.
they all work fine,but,with the real high strike of the bullet i am looking to lower the hits.
leigh

Send it back to Ruger! Really! They will make the gun as good or better than new, and will clean up all the bad spots. With the other problems you describe, you might have a sight issue or maybe even a barrel that is bent or mounted crooked in the frame! Let them fix it, so you can have an accurate gun you can trust. You should only have to pay for shipping one way. At the very least, call them and see what they tell you.

runfiverun
09-10-2008, 10:07 PM
i took about .0015 to .0020 off my 32-20 brass and shoot boolits sized at .312 and use 3.5 gr 700-x
why cause i have some.
the last deer i shot was hit by a vehicle and had a broken leg. and at @ 75 yds it went right through her.
about a 125 lb doe. she went about 20 yds and just expired.