PDA

View Full Version : To chop, or not to chop - the barrel?

Naphtali
08-27-2008, 12:48 PM
My Freedom Arms 475 Linebaugh has a ported six-inch barrel. I've been considering either replacing the barrel with a 7.5-inch non-ported barrel (about $400.00) or having Freedom chop (about $200.00) it to their short barrel to eliminate ports.

Regardless whether ports are present, I will not shoot the revolver without ear protection. I have in-ear protectors. So noise "reduction" is not a factor. And regardless what I do, anything more than modest loads are on the edge of too much.

I don't care for slots in the barrel, but I understand that this is an expensive cosmetic problem to fix. And were cosmetic surgery to be done, I cannot confirm I'll appreciate the change more than I do the original. My head shrieks, "Don't waste my time."

The revolver is not a primary hunting gun. It is a carrying while wandering/hunting gun. This change occurred when I detected my second grizzly this year -- ever!! -- without bars between us. I thought about some sort of cattle prod, but decided on the Model 83.

While I doubt there's a right answer to my question, there are probably rational reasons for making a decision. I'm stuck.

wonderwolf
08-27-2008, 01:44 PM
A few thoughts

A bear will not wait for you to put in ear protection, I understand this is not your primary weapon but it might be the only weapon avalible when the time comes.

Porting IMHO is not needed and when you fire that first shot at a charging bear and that porting redirects all those gases more towards you than downrange you WILL notice. I've compared ported and unported S&W 500 with the same barrel lengths In the words of Big bore guru John Ross. "It feels as if somebody set of a stick of dynamite right in front of you". A shorter barrel might make the weapon more favorable but then you'll have a....shorter barrel.... and muzzle blast might be just what it was when you had porting.

So. How far back does the porting go? I would go with a 5" barrel if you could get away with it but thats only me. There seems to be something about a 5" barrel on a revolver that just makes them so handy for all around use. :mrgreen:

Naphtali
08-27-2008, 02:25 PM
As near as I can determine, porting ends one inch from the muzzle. When I chatted with Mr. Baker, he told me they (FA) would cut the barrel to whatever is the next shorter barrel length for a Model 83, then reinstall the front sight. I didn't query about an intermediate barrel length.

Regarding ear protection, were I carrying the revolver, I would wear the in-ear protection -- just in case. I don't find ear plugs, even solid ones, to be uncomfortable for long periods of wear. And I don't find my hearing acuity is retarded by wearing the electronic plugs.

missionary5155
08-27-2008, 02:51 PM
I think if I was going to have the barrel cut I sure could do it with a hacksaw and a machinest square.. I did my S&W 19-5 (6 inch to a 3.5 inch) and it shoots as well. Removed the front sight from the barrel and resoldered it in the rib and except for there not beind the little barrel curvature near the front sight it hard to tell from 5 feet. And it sure did not cost $200 plus shipping. But this is me. I can do it... and if I really mess it up I can find someone to help me get it better.

doghawg
08-27-2008, 08:30 PM
I have two .454's....a 7 1/2" unported and a 5 1/2" (custom order length) ported. I like them both. With max loads the ported gun recoils (perception here) a little less than the 7 1/2" but barks a little more. I've never been face to face with a grizzly but the last things on my mind would be my ears or the cosmetics of the gun in my trembling hand.....:):Fire: It's just a matter of personal preference I guess....as you said...no right answer.

454PB
08-27-2008, 10:14 PM
I can tell you that my Taurus RB .454 Casull 6" with porting is WAY more noisy to shoot than my FA83 with 4 3/4" unported barrel. It causes any nearby shooters to move away every time I fire it at the bench.

targetshootr
08-27-2008, 10:31 PM
If you send it to the factory for any reason make sure it leaves with the new style firing pin or it may fail like mine did. Thankfully, I wasn't near any grizzleys at the time.

Speaking of which, check out this encounter. Scary.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=uMbnmLLnsfw&feature=related

Just Duke
08-28-2008, 09:16 AM
I'd leave her as she is Naph.

Four Fingers of Death
08-28-2008, 09:21 AM
Buy another :D You now have a good excuse, if you ever needed one.

HeavyMetal
08-28-2008, 09:53 AM
I once had a Ruger six gun in .30 carbine.

Zero recoil yet, when fired with military ball ammo, it would flatten my glasses against my face with every shot! Other than the 22 magnum auto pistol owned by a friend this was the loudest pistol I have ever fired! I have chased guys with 4 in 44 mags off the firing line!

So I can understand the issue. I woud cut this but I would only cut the bare minimum to get past the ports and no more. Then carry the hottest load I could stand and hope for the best!

Not sure what skill level gunsmiths you have close to home but I think I'd do some phone calling and ask some freinds for references.

Geraldo
08-28-2008, 10:11 AM
If you're really worried about bears, buy OC spray. I read an article on it recently, and the bear defense stats are better for spray than handguns.

Still, if it were mine, I'd cut it. I know it's mainly cosmetic, but I don't like the look of porting.

If you cut it but still plan to use it against Griz, make sure to leave the front sight off, so when he sticks it up your keister it doesn't hurt so bad. [smilie=1::-D:drinks:

44man
08-28-2008, 11:37 AM
I would call a good Smith like Jack Huntington. He might cut it and remount the sight a lot cheaper then Freedom.
Besides the bear won't take the time to flip you around, he will just stuff the gun in your nose! :wink:

Naphtali
08-28-2008, 01:42 PM
If you send it to the factory for any reason make sure it leaves with the new style firing pin or it may fail like mine did. Thankfully, I wasn't near any grizzleys at the time.New firing pin!!!

When did a change in firing pin manufacture occur? My 475's serial number is very low for a 475 series. But 475s were not produced during the first several years of Freedom Arms' existence.

What or how was firing pin changed? Metal, metallurgy, shape -- what?

targetshootr
08-28-2008, 05:32 PM
New firing pin!!!What or how was firing pin changed? Metal, metallurgy, shape -- what?
They make them replaceable now. The version I heard is that they could not take guns with firing pins to the Shot Show so they make them replaceable without having to remove the barrel. But I believe they also have a high rate of failure compared to gunmakers like, say, Ruger.

:lovebooli

NSP64
08-28-2008, 06:20 PM
I wouldn't cut it. I would buy another gun to carry in the woods.

MT Gianni
08-28-2008, 11:47 PM
If you're really worried about bears, buy OC spray. I read an article on it recently, and the bear defense stats are better for spray than handguns.

Still, if it were mine, I'd cut it. I know it's mainly cosmetic, but I don't like the look of porting.

If you cut it but still plan to use it against Griz, make sure to leave the front sight off, so when he sticks it up your keister it doesn't hurt so bad. [smilie=1::-D:drinks:

If you ever have to use spray remember to hit them hard with it and get out of the way. The Bear will continue it's charge in the direction it started in. Most bear biologist's doubt the ability of a trained shooter to get off a 2nd shot on a charging bear. Their research was done in Canada so assume a rifle not a handgun.

2 dogs
08-29-2008, 12:38 AM
Alan Harton shortened one of my FA's beautifully. And it didnt cost anywhere near 200 bucks.

bobthenailer
08-30-2008, 09:42 AM
i installed a witcha comp / under lug/ barrel weight on mine and my friends 686 smith revolver this required drilling and tapping a hole in the underlug or the barrel for attachment years later we decided to remove the comp/ assy. i had a local welder fill in the holes with stainless and cleaned up the weld with wet/dry sandpaper you could not tell it was ever done. you may be able to weld over the outside of the ports or semi fill the ports but would still have the ports in the inside of the barrel. give it a try the cost is probley $25.00 or less , mine were done as a favor, ck the accuracy if still the same wala ! if not send it back to FA to shorten the barrel