PDA

View Full Version : Roll crimps with the Lee Factory Crimp die in .45 ACP

Dale53
08-27-2008, 01:27 AM
I want to use some "revolver" bullets with roll crimps in my S&W 625's (.45 ACP's). I also wanted to use my Lee Factory Crimp die for this purpose (I have long been an advocate of seating bullets and crimping in separate stages). My Lee Factory Crimp die will only taper crimp (that's what it is designed to do). I wondered if the Lee Factory Crimp die in .45 Colt would work (the insert only, from the .45 Colt die). Well, I decided to go direct to the factory for information "straight from the horse's mouth". I called Lee and talked to one of the Technicians. I posed my question and he stated that the insert for the .45 Colt die would not work by itself as it was not the same length as the .45 ACP die insert. However, he stated with a proper spacer it would work to make a perfect roll crimp. So, I ordered the insert and spacer and received it today. You just swap out the taper crimp insert and replace it with the .45 Colt insert and spacer. It works just as Lee stated it would. So now, I have the best of both worlds...

So, if you have a desire to have a roll crimp with your .45 ACP Lee Factory Crimp die this is the solution. The cost was relatively small and it was shipped almost immediately. I got it in a couple of days.

Thank you, Lee Precision.

Dale53

S.R.Custom
08-27-2008, 02:44 AM
Check your Lee 45 ACP Factory Crimp die... I have one of the older ones, and the crimp portion of the die is a sliding sleeve that can be reversed. One end of the sleeve is for taper crimp, and the other is... you guessed it... roll crimp. :-D

Dale53
08-27-2008, 04:24 PM
SuperMag;
My Lee Factory Crimp die for the .45 ACP will NOT roll crimp (I carefully examined it after reading your post). That is an excellent idea, however. Unfortunately, I had to go to the .45 Colt insert with spacer. It works quite well, so I am happy.

Dale53