PDA

View Full Version : Case dryers

salpal48
01-21-2018, 07:39 PM
Anyone Using These or Food Dehydrators for large Vol. Of cases.

JimB..
01-21-2018, 08:49 PM
I use a big towel and a box fan, processed more than 7,500 pieces of .45acp this weekend. Have never tried a dehydrator, just assume that it’s no faster than dumping the cases out and spreading them roughly flat.

pete501
01-21-2018, 09:15 PM
American Harvest Dehydrator is the one I use. I find these used at yard sales and have several. They work great for brass and fruit. I have some bananas drying right now. Overnight works for brass.

Hick
01-21-2018, 09:19 PM
Clothes Dryer. 45 minutes on high

TNsailorman
01-21-2018, 09:27 PM
I use an old fruit de-hydrator to dry my cases. Works like a charm. james

MyFlatline
01-21-2018, 09:29 PM
Most times in Florida the sun works,,,at this time of year , either the dehydrator or the oven on the lowest setting. Sure wish it would warm back up..:)

Roy Acuffff
01-21-2018, 09:31 PM
After 50+ years of laying cases on a towel to dry, last year I started using a food dehydrator to dry my cases. Asoluty love the dehydrator, usually takes about 1 hour to dry my cases. Very quick and easy, I recommend.

Roy

Grmps
01-21-2018, 10:10 PM
Clothes Dryer. 45 minutes on high

Clothes drier works great with that clip on shoe shelf that doesn't turn

I use 2 6-tray dehydrators similar to the one pictured, With my DIY polisher/tumbler.
Each dehydrator can do APR 2 Gallons of boolits @ a time

https://i.imgur.com/BgTBDPR.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/jvrq5jm.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/H6IFXqH.jpg

lefty o
01-21-2018, 10:59 PM
a good dehydrator will dry them totally in about 45min. i guess it all depends on what you consider high volume.

Walter Laich
01-22-2018, 12:07 AM
built a 2x2 ft wooden rack with chicken wire center. put towel on top

take wet brass and put it in towel and see-saw back and forth to get most of water out of brass

dump on towel and either:

a) leave in Texas Sun for 1 - 1 1/2 hours

b) put under ceiling fan overnight

JimB..
01-22-2018, 12:17 AM
After 50+ years of laying cases on a towel to dry, last year I started using a food dehydrator to dry my cases. Asoluty love the dehydrator, usually takes about 1 hour to dry my cases. Very quick and easy, I recommend.

Roy

So after 40 years I bought my first carbide tipped blade for a reciprocating saw just the other day. It cost a fortune on a relative basis, but it is now my favorite tool and I’m kicking myself for waiting so long. With that in mind I’m trying to be open to the dehydrator.

I run a 45lb tumbler from STM (a vendor here), great tumbler. 1 load is a 50 cal ammo can. Tumble that for a couple hours, spin the pins out under water with a Lyman media separator (takes 3 loads) then spread the brass on a towel in the garage. I usually leave it overnight with a fan blowing, and while it’s not a huge issue, having 4 or 5 towels down limits what else I can do.

My question is, can the dehydrators that we’re talking about hold an ammo cans worth of brass? If they can, then I’d be able to dry and store one load while another is still tumbling. I like the idea, it just seems like a lot of brass for a dehydrator.

Appreciate your thoughts, or anyone else’s.
Thanks
Jim

lefty o
01-22-2018, 01:12 AM
you have to look at the sizing of the dehydrator, some will easily take a 50cal can worth of brass with room to spare. others not so much.

Mr_Sheesh
01-22-2018, 01:21 AM
I use a Brass Dehydrator, not much sun here in the Pacific NorthWet...

ak_rob
01-22-2018, 03:03 AM
Dehydrator for me.
JimB for your volume you could look at a rod oven for welding rods or just a old oven set at 225 you could dry 6-50cal. cans in about 30 or 40 minutes.

Rob

fcvan
01-22-2018, 03:18 AM
After sizing, I wash with Dawn dish soap and some lemon juice, strain and throw them into the vibratory case polisher. Ground walnut with a teaspoon of Turtle Zip Wash leaves them shiny, clean, and with a thin layer of wax to seal the pores of the cases so they stay shiny longer. The brass and media turning over helps dry pretty fast.

It takes an hour or so for the brass and walnut media to dry. I add the Zip Wash every 5k cases, and re-wash my media in a burlap bag with a zipper after 25k cases or so, depending on the condition of the media. Adding the wet cases (and washing the media) causes the media to swell and get rough again after being polished smooth.

Grmps
01-22-2018, 03:34 AM
I use a Brass Dehydrator, not much sun here in the Pacific NorthWet...

plenty of liquid sunshine :)

[QUOTE=My question is, can the dehydrators that we’re talking about hold an ammo cans worth of brass? If they can, then I’d be able to dry and store one load while another is still tumbling. I like the idea, it just seems like a lot of brass for a dehydrator.[/QUOTE]

1 6 tray dehydrator holds 2 gallons of brass I would think a 10 tray dehydrator would do an ammo can if it's under 3 gallons..

jmorris
01-22-2018, 10:33 AM
Another vote for the Sun.

therealhitman
01-22-2018, 11:23 AM
The Harbour Freight brass dryer has been on the job at my house for several years now. Getting my money's worth for sure.

JimB..
01-22-2018, 04:19 PM
Dehydrator for me.
JimB for your volume you could look at a rod oven for welding rods or just a old oven set at 225 you could dry 6-50cal. cans in about 30 or 40 minutes.

Rob

Hey, saw one of those rod ovens on Craigslist the other day...thanks for the suggestion.

JimB..
01-22-2018, 04:21 PM
1 6 tray dehydrator holds 2 gallons of brass I would think a 10 tray dehydrator would do an ammo can if it's under 3 gallons..

Thanks, if the welding rod oven isn’t available I’ll go look for a 10 tray at the big box outdoor stores.

mozeppa
01-24-2018, 06:43 PM
i use frankfort arsenal brass dryer ...works great!