PDA

View Full Version : Texas hog...

tinhorn97062
01-21-2018, 07:16 PM
.38 Special snubby, 158gr Semi Wadcutter pushed by 5.6gr Power Pistol. 3 shots to the boiler room, first one was thru and thru. Within 30 seconds of the first shot, she piled up while trying to run across the road.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180121/7eafa88b1468a58070891752f9e71a5f.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180121/73c5750d1de363c863568f7ec56459ff.jpg

TXGunNut
01-21-2018, 07:22 PM
Nice little piggy! Always wanted to split one like that down the middle and toss it on the smoker.

rking22
01-21-2018, 08:01 PM
Oh, now thats tale telling, everybody on the net knows an ole 38 would just bounce of a mouse much less a hog!!!!
Nice shootin, bet it would be nice spinning between some hickory fires!

tinhorn97062
01-21-2018, 08:47 PM
Oh, now thats tale telling, everybody on the net knows an ole 38 would just bounce of a mouse much less a hog!!!!
Nice shootin, bet it would be nice spinning between some hickory fires!

Yah...shameful. That’s my carry load too.

rking22
01-21-2018, 09:26 PM
Mines about the same, full WC atop 3.5 of bullseye in a M36, good for most things. And way more accurate than most on the "net" believe.
That piggy headed for supper or they to nasty where you live?

MDC
01-21-2018, 09:35 PM
Good smoker size. I need to get one so I can make some more sausage

Texas by God
01-21-2018, 09:38 PM
Way to go! My first feral hog was taken with a .38 Special from 6ft between the eyes after the best stalk of my life. 24 years ago seems like yesterday. S&W m15.

brewer12345
01-21-2018, 09:43 PM
Well, I hope they never come up my way, but if they do I will be doing my part to thin out the population, heh.

How hard was the boolit?

Eddie Southgate
01-21-2018, 10:46 PM
Unfortunately they outlawed Hog hunting in Tennessee . Good shooting .

CastingFool
01-21-2018, 10:54 PM
Congrats, Tinhorn!

brewer12345
01-21-2018, 11:01 PM

Really? Amazing. This is an incredibly virulent invasive species and they outlawed hunting them?

MDC
01-21-2018, 11:18 PM
Really? Amazing. This is an incredibly virulent invasive species and they outlawed hunting them?

Yes sir , that is crazy. MGySgt just posted his successful hunt in Tn

Smoke4320
01-21-2018, 11:57 PM
Congrats on the pistol kill. Looks like it would make a good smoker sausage

tinhorn97062
01-22-2018, 12:23 AM
Well, I hope they never come up my way, but if they do I will be doing my part to thin out the population, heh.

How hard was the boolit?

This was using a commercial cast boolit...so, probably as hard as woodpecker lips. The ones I cast are water dropped 50/50 WW and soft lead.

My revolver load is fairly stout, but not over pressure. I’m amazed at the terminal performance of something that some folks would call “weak”.

texasnative46
01-22-2018, 12:30 AM
tinhorn07062,

NICE "wee piggy" & looks to be the right size for numerous hours on the BBQ pit.

yours, tex

texasnative46
01-22-2018, 12:33 AM
Eddie Southgate,

IF the feral hogs are as numerous/destructive as they are here in TX, I cannot imagine than anyone in any jurisdiction would outlaw their being "thinned out".

Here in TX, feral hogs can be taken 24/365 by "any otherwise lawful means", including shooting, poison, trapping, etc.

ADDENDA: Fwiw, I know a farmer here in TX whose entire commercial crop of tomatoes (over 50 acres) was consumed/bespoiled/destroyed in just one night by feral hogs.

yours, tex

Omega
01-22-2018, 12:53 AM
Eddie Southgate,

IF the feral hogs are as numerous/destructive as they are here in TX, I cannot imagine than anyone in any jurisdiction would outlaw their being "thinned out".

Here in TX, feral hogs can be taken 24/365 by "any otherwise lawful means", including shooting, poison, trapping, etc.

ADDENDA: Fwiw, I know a farmer here in TX whose entire commercial crop of tomatoes (over 50 acres) was consumed/bespoiled/destroyed in just one night by feral hogs.

yours, tex
Here in TN, it had the opposite effect when they opened it up to hunting. By all accounts, it looks like some hogs were moved to areas where there were no hogs. Now it looks like landowners are the only ones able to hunt them. I'm sure when they overrun the state all hunting methods will be opened up like TX, because there will be no one way to eradicate them so all methods will on the table.

texasnative46
01-22-2018, 01:18 AM
Omega,

It sounds like to me, as a part-owner of a family farm, that the people who voted to outlaw hog hunting in TN are "afflicted with lack of foresight".

If your state government is as slow/clumsy to change laws as our TX government is, by the time that the law is changed, your State will have a completely untenable feral hog problem.

just my OPINION, tex

Bodydoc447
01-22-2018, 01:42 AM
I shot a 100 pound sow this morning. She is boned out for sausage making this week. Used a 6.5 Creedmoor with jacketed since that was all I had on me. Wish I could have gotten the other 8 or 9 with her. Danged things are a plaque.
Doc

Mr_Sheesh
01-22-2018, 01:52 AM
None up here ATM or I'd be picking on them. Sure enough of them in the warmer southlands!

About all I can say to ya, tinhorn97062, is, "Enjoy your BACON!" :)

rking22
01-22-2018, 10:53 AM
Its been a while since I read the TN law but my takeaway was that "hog hunting" was relegated to landowners and x number of approved individuals. There is no regulation about killing every one you see! Any transportation of a live feral hog is a major problem with significant penalties. The intent of the law is to prevent the creation of a "hog hunting" industry leading to uncontrollable spread of the tasty but destructive critters. So far I have not seen any sign of them on my farm and the map showed them to be less than 4 miles away close to 10 years ago. Dont know if its the result of the law (haha) or our tendency to shoot and eat tasty critters :)

texasnative46
01-22-2018, 01:21 PM
rking22; Mr Sheesh,

According to NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC magazine, there are just TWO sorts of places in the USA:
1. Those places that HAVE a feral hog problem now
and
2. Those places that soon WILL HAVE.

Our family farm in NETX has more than "our fair share" of pigs.

yours, tex

dogrunner
01-22-2018, 02:59 PM
Why would you bother to shoot somethin' that little? Shoulda grabbed it by the hind legs, taped it's mouth shut and tossed it in the bed of your pickup...........haul it home and feed it good stuff for a few weeks........THEN it's fit to eat.

You Tejas folks do strange things!

starmac
01-22-2018, 03:14 PM
Years ago, hell maybe centuries ago, a couple of friends and I were walking through the woods headed down to the lake. We came out in a small meadow and there were some little pigs playing on the other side of it. My two friends took off running full out across the meadow to try and catch one, I shouted a warning, but they ignored it. Well all was fine until they got close and a pig squealed and momma came to the rescue. lol. They spent the next hour up a tree. lol

texasnative46
01-22-2018, 04:35 PM
starmac,

Sows with shoats are like that. = Rotfl.

yours, tex

missionary5155
01-22-2018, 05:32 PM
Good afternoon
Most any mama critter will get offended when the little ones start making a ruckus. Some just being more vicious and properly equipped to even the odds.
Mike in Peru

Texas by God
01-22-2018, 05:39 PM
unfortunately they outlawed hog hunting in tennessee . Good shooting .
say whattt??!!

MGySgt
01-22-2018, 06:08 PM
Yes sir , that is crazy. MGySgt just posted his successful hunt in Tn

That boar hunt was at a Fenced Lodge (2500 arces). Wilderness Lodge in Monterey Tenn. Private Land and Pay as you go hunt.

TXGunNut
01-22-2018, 09:15 PM

I'm completely baffled by that set of circumstances. I'd like to introduce some of your bunnyhuggers to a cranky old boar and see if they can squeeze a little cuddle time in between writing stupid game laws. Quite awhile back I hunted hogs on a large peanut farm near Turkey, TX. Next trip I learned the farmer could no longer plant peanuts as the hogs would eat them all.

brewer12345
01-22-2018, 09:20 PM
rking22; Mr Sheesh,

According to NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC magazine, there are just TWO sorts of places in the USA:
1. Those places that HAVE a feral hog problem now
and
2. Those places that soon WILL HAVE.

Our family farm in NETX has more than "our fair share" of pigs.

yours, tex

Ugh, no doubt that is correct. So far the state of Colorado seems to be holding them at bay in the southeast corner of the state. Just a matter of time.

starmac
01-22-2018, 10:31 PM
Farmers in Texas could get them thinned down considerably if they wanted to, but would rather consider them a cash cow. I am sure there are plenty that would like to see them thinned, but plenty don't too.

Rufus Krile
01-23-2018, 12:11 AM
Friend has 350 acres of brush in San Patricio County... High fenced... Had everything on it BUT pigs, and decided (without seeking counsel) that he should have "a few". Bought 4... a boar and three sows... Then told a couple of us about his accomplishment... We told him to put his kids to work right away and kill 'em all quick. Six months go by and I ask him if he shot all his pigs... Said they'd killed 3 but the rest are down in the deep brush... Asked him "The rest? How many are left?" As near as he could tell, he was down to about 16... Easy to understand once you know how prolific they are and how thick and scratchy this brush country is.

brewer12345
01-23-2018, 12:28 AM
Friend has 350 acres of brush in San Patricio County... High fenced... Had everything on it BUT pigs, and decided (without seeking counsel) that he should have "a few". Bought 4... a boar and three sows... Then told a couple of us about his accomplishment... We told him to put his kids to work right away and kill 'em all quick. Six months go by and I ask him if he shot all his pigs... Said they'd killed 3 but the rest are down in the deep brush... Asked him "The rest? How many are left?" As near as he could tell, he was down to about 16... Easy to understand once you know how prolific they are and how thick and scratchy this brush country is.

Amazing. That is like buying several rats and letting them loose in your pantry.

sixshot
01-23-2018, 01:08 AM
16, that's only 2 litters! Wait a few more months & do another head count, it will be close to 100.

Dick

texasnative46
01-23-2018, 01:49 AM
brewer12345; sixshot,

SPOT ON are BOTH of you. = IF the "high fence guy" does nothing, in about 3 years he'll have 400-500 AND the hogs will have rooted up or eaten everything on his place.

yours, tex

brewer12345
01-23-2018, 10:45 AM
brewer12345; sixshot,

SPOT ON are BOTH of you. = IF the "high fence guy" does nothing, in about 3 years he'll have 400-500 AND the hogs will have rooted up or eaten everything on his place.

yours, tex

That sort of thing is why I hope the dang things never get past the part of Colorado that borders the OK panhandle. If they get established in the rest of the state it will be a tremendous mess.

trapper9260
01-23-2018, 12:32 PM
We do not have them here in NE Iowa .but the state law is shoot them on sight.

popper
01-23-2018, 12:34 PM
Standing order in 'high fence' or hunting preserve is shoot on sight or trap & remove. Heard from my friend with property, he and another guy got 3 last weekend, in a single trap. Not much food this time of year so they are on the move.

Littleton Shot Maker
01-23-2018, 01:53 PM
we had / have some here in Az.

game and fish sent out a Tx. shooter in a Helo to shoot the ones near the Az. Ca. border….70? i think i one day?? I can't get in there due to Fed land, Native lands, Refuge , military bases…what ever . You need a helo to get back there fast and hard.
So long story short- it hard enough for me to get out here to do my part, the stat took over and id it for the hunters…good and bad.
they don;t go out of there way to help folks find them or locate them or even admit we had any for many years. I know locals that tell about them but won;t say when or where or anything..

I am not saying we want them here but it would be another food source for the truly POOR hunter that can;t pay for HUNTS or never gets drawn for ELK OR BISON here……and the deer ?? I think we need to shoot the invasive horses and burros too, they don;t belong here just like the Spanish pigs brought here , the HORSE would make for great food….
Maybe a bounty on them PIGS would help -??? like they did for wolves??

Jayhawkhuntclub
01-30-2018, 04:45 PM

Not legal in Kansas either:(

sparky45
01-30-2018, 05:04 PM
One caveat: In the State of Kansas, Landowners or legal occupants of the land or their employees may shoot feral hogs on their property without a permit. AND, I believe when the feral hog problem is recognized as the ecological threat it actually is, there will be unlimited hunting allowed.

Wolfer
01-30-2018, 06:34 PM
You can't hunt hogs in Missouri now either. The state has been trapping and shooting from helicopters. They claim the hunters mess up their trapping.

Hickok
01-30-2018, 07:53 PM
Tinhorn, great job, great shooting!

Tracy
01-30-2018, 09:53 PM
Alabama claims to have a hog problem, yet hunting them is pretty heavily regulated. Since DCNR can't stand the thought of just letting us hunt them with minimal regulation, they're planning to start poisoning them this year.

GunnyJohn
01-31-2018, 01:10 AM
Isn't it just like government to want to control everything with the taxpayers footing the bill for them. Just let the public have the option of at least being able to put some meat on the table. When you start poisoning them, scavengers, both wild and domestic, (dogs) end up getting into the poisoned meat, thus causing a chain reaction. Selling some inexpensive tags would at least generate some revenue, instead of expending it. By the way, good shooting. Nice little piggy. That size seems to eat better I'm told. Hope you enjoy it.

dkf
01-31-2018, 01:18 AM
We have em here in PA in certain areas thanks to the genius of paid fence hunting outfits and the lack of the state doing anything about the import of them. There are wonky laws and special areas. Areas where they are trying to trap them you can't take any of them nor hunt for them. In all other areas you can hunt them but only if hunting for other animals. That is at least the way I read it. Even in the closed areas where they are trapping they only trap in certain seasons. I have plenty of doubts that the plan the PGC is doing will work.

MT Gianni
01-31-2018, 11:03 AM
I can only imagine if they got to Montana, what the weather didn't kill the wolves, coyotes, cougars and bear would.

RGrosz
01-31-2018, 01:22 PM
We do not have them here in NE Iowa .but the state law is shoot them on sight.

Same with NW Iowa and South Dakota. One hand wish there was some, but the more logical side says "NO WAY"
Rob

pls1911
02-02-2018, 04:05 PM
WHAT??? Outlaw hog hunting in Tennessee?

WHY??

popper
02-04-2018, 02:03 PM
Another bites the dust. He got 3 couple weeks ago, this one last week, all with 40SW. Been teasing him about BBQ so this one is strung up. I'm relaxing with Tamiflu. He & wife using pistols.

Omega
02-04-2018, 02:27 PM
Another bites the dust. He got 3 couple weeks ago, this one last week, all with 40SW. Been teasing him about BBQ so this one is strung up. I'm relaxing with Theraflu.

Nice, pistol or carbine?

Itzdapig
02-04-2018, 03:31 PM
You can't hunt hogs in Missouri now either. The state has been trapping and shooting from helicopters. They claim the hunters mess up their trapping.

This is not entirely true. Not legal on lands owned or run by the Missouri conservation dept.
https://mdc.mo.gov/wildlife/nuisance-problem-species/invasive-species/feral-hogs-missouri

texasnative46
02-09-2018, 12:58 PM
To All,

IF your area HAS "a feral hog problem" (and I have difficulty believing that you DO NOT or WILL NOT soon have a HUGE problem), I cannot imagine WHY your game & fish department would not allow these invaders/destructive pests to be shot on sight.
(Here in TX, for quite a long time the TP&WD tried to ignore the ever-growing problem but finally decided that these invasive pests HAD to be removed from our environment wherever encountered. - Now the problem is Statewide & constantly growing worse, despite uncontrolled hunting & use of poisons.)

yours, tex

Hickory
02-09-2018, 01:39 PM
To All,
I cannot imagine WHY your game & fish department would not allow these invaders/destructive pests to be shot on sight. tex

$$$$$$

texasnative46
02-24-2018, 12:50 PM
Hickory,

IF anything, the $$$$$$$$$$$ are all on the side of the HORRENDOUS DAMAGE that hogs do to golf courses,, farmer's fields, lawns & parks.
(I know 2 commercial tomato farmers who lost their entire crops in one night to feral hogs.)

yours, tn

popper
02-26-2018, 12:26 AM
Omega - pistol. >220# , high as his scale goes. He finally gave up on the 9 mm.

KCcactus
03-24-2018, 12:20 PM
Everyone I know that leases from a farmer or rancher in N. Texas says the standing rule is "see a pig, shoot it". They don't care if you leave them where they drop, just kill them. One local farmer spent the day planting corn and had pigs come in behind him and root up everything he planted.

My place is pretty small, only 120 acres. I usually get game camera pictures of around 100 different pigs over the course of a couple of months. Last year, they started coming in regularly during daylight when my feeders go off, so I hunted them pretty hard and got 11. They are back to nocturnal, but still there. My neighbors and I did get them thinned out enough that deer can get to the feeders.

With pigs, I've had better luck with neck shots. I double lunged one with my 6.8 spc that ran more than a 1/4 mile before dropping. I found her a month later on my neighbor's place along our easement. The pig behind her dropped with a broken spine. The advice I read on the 6.8 forum is draw a line from the front shoulder to the back of the ear. Shoot them any place on that line and bang, flop. You also waste less meat. I did that with the last 8 and none of them made it a single step.

popper
04-23-2018, 04:16 PM
http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2018/04/23/watch-wild-hogs-storm-houston-area-suburb/

COOLBARRELBILL
05-07-2018, 01:42 AM
I shot this with a Glock 20 with a 200gr WFN over 8.2gr of 800X

Texas by God
06-10-2018, 04:15 PM
Not a cb but Cuz's 12th straight one shot kill on hogs. 6.8 SPC/110gr Vmax works for him. 310# boar.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180610/e6fafb736c0c77ac7547f4b97bd76690.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Bodydoc447
06-10-2018, 10:36 PM
That's a dandy hog. Lots of sausage!

Jedman
06-11-2018, 01:05 PM
Looks like a brain shot. That's a big hog, if he is the one you tried your 44-40 on for a penetration test I can see why the Boolit didn't make it thru.
Nice Hog !

Jedman

Texas by God
06-15-2018, 03:45 PM
He was killed at 9:30 pm. We've seen him on 3 trail cams but no actual sightings till now. A true vampire. Cuz said a brain shot seemed prudent. I agree. I brained a wormy sow several mornings ago with a .45 acp/200 swc- but she was in a trap.
Hardly sporting; but this is war.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk