PDA

View Full Version : Newbie ?? on maxi-hunter bullets

Throckmorton
11-21-2005, 08:52 PM
Just picked up a box of .50 caliber maxis to try this weekend.
They are lubed,and the pkg says no other prep.necessary.
Now here's the goofy question :bigsmyl2:
I'm used to shooting prb.do the maxi's us a wad?
I told ya I was a newibe,remember??
we will not be walking around with them,just load and shoot if that makes a diffference.
Thanks for bearing with me on this.

Maven
11-21-2005, 09:15 PM
Maxi-balls don't require a wad. However, I've obtained slightly better accuracy from the bench when using one. If you can find a 1/2" arch punch, cut wads from cardboard writing paper/legal pad backing. Vegetable fiber wads are also available commercially (don't remember the manufacturer).

StarMetal
11-21-2005, 09:45 PM
Maven

Might be that wad seals before the max-ball gets bumped up to make a good seal, thus the better accuracy. I'll have to try that and see if works for me.

Joe

Maven
11-22-2005, 09:57 AM
Throckmorton & Joe, If you're using Maxi's for hunting, you can skip the cardboard "wad." There is a trick that you can use for bench and hunting that helps improve accuracy: Swab the bore with a dry patch after you seat the [lubed] Maxi-ball to maintain a consistent bbl. condition. Also, I find MB's leave quite a bit of fouling in the bbl., even with Pyro. Ergo, for target work I swab with a damp patch after every other shot (70gr. Pyro. RS or 60gr. BP FFFg or Pyro. P), dry the bore, load & seat the MB and then dry swab any lube left behind. If I do this, I can get ~5 into 1" @ 50 yds. from an open sighted T/C .45cal. Hawken with a ca. 1982 bbl. (28", 1:48).

Throckmorton
11-22-2005, 11:07 AM
your advice makes sense,and we'll surely try it both ways for comparison.Half the fun is seeing what works and what is what in different guns.

are those maxiis' gonna be hard to get seated...do they engrave as they go down,or is obturation required to engrave 'em?
thanks again.,!

StarMetal
11-22-2005, 11:15 AM
Paul,

I own 50 calibers. When I go to the bench for some target shooting or to develop load I take a nice heavy duty aluminum cleaning rod from a shotgun cleaning set with me. I run a brass brush down the bore between shots and tap the muzzle on a little wood block and all the crud comes out. Makes for some nice easy bullet seating no matter how many you fire. Lately I've been using TC's yellow lube and it seems very good, sure smells like Ben Gay though, wonder if it's good for sore muscles??

Joe

Maven
11-22-2005, 12:14 PM
Throckmorton & Joe, If cast of pure Pb, i.e., as pure as we need it to be, but not laboratory grade, they should seat with thumb pressure and a short starter. You'll see that the front band will then be engraved by the rifling. As for lubes, I confess to using the original T/C MB lube (tannish, creamy with a pleasant odor) and T/C "Bore Butter" (yellow) and its clones. However, some on another forum thought it was mostly Crisco and overpriced at that, and frowned on using it. Bore Butter & clones work, smell nice (like Ben Gay/oil of wintergreen) and are widely available.

Throckmorton, Used Maxi-Ball molds appear regularly on e-Bay and are worth looking into. T/C sold them under their own name (black., anodized Al, possibly made for them by Lyman) and are excellent, but single cavity (fit Lyman handles). Lyman and Saeco also produced them and both are of excellent quality as well.

fiberoptik
11-24-2005, 04:12 AM
Lets not forget the nice Lee aluminum moulds for the REAL bullets (rifling engraved at loading) They come in 320 & 250?? I've yet to try the REAL mould I've got, along with the maxi & rb's. Lee also has a target minie that cuts nice holes in paper, looks like the flying ashcan. Lots to pic from.... [smilie=w: