PDA

View Full Version : Any Roofers, Better shingle CertainTeed vs Owens Corning Duration

.45Cole
01-21-2018, 04:22 PM
Looking to reroof in the mountains of Colorado, lots of wind, not much hail (maybe pea sized twice a year) and lots of snow. The humidity is usually <10% so I'm thinking I don't need much hail/alge resistance. I do need huge wind resistance and I'll be 6 nailing. 4/12 pitch. Surenail looks cool.

Looking at Owens Corning Duration Designer or as a second CertainTeed Landmark. Any thoughs?

Plate plinker
01-21-2018, 04:31 PM
Go to metal.

rancher1913
01-21-2018, 04:32 PM
I gave up on shingles and have metal on every roof I own. look into a standing seam commercial grade metal and be done with roofing for the next 50 plus years. metal costs a lot more up front but with the insurance savings and longevity it pays you back in the long run.

ascast
01-21-2018, 04:36 PM
go metal

ascast
01-21-2018, 04:38 PM
ps cost is comparable as steel requires less labor

rl69
01-21-2018, 04:40 PM
With a 4/12 pitch I agree go metal standing seam is best

.45Cole
01-21-2018, 05:21 PM
I'm not looking to stay in the house for much over 3-4 years and I'm not looking for much upfront costs. I'll do the work myself. This house was an abandoned foreclosure I'm fixing up to make a profit while living in it. Not sure about the lightning increase, but I'm next to a huge field and there are tons of lightning strikes nearby.

An old house about 2 miles away in a field (other side of hog back from me) was hit so many times it now sits abandoned.

Idz
01-21-2018, 05:48 PM
In the New Mexico mountains shingles get brittle in a couple years. I put on propanel and weathered many hailstorm and was the only survivor when we got hit with wildfire. I like steel.

bdicki
01-21-2018, 06:13 PM
I recommend what ever you put on cover the entire roof with ice and water instead of felt paper.
http://www.gaf.com/roofing/residential/products/leak_barriers

454 shooter
01-21-2018, 06:37 PM
I don't want to know much about shingles, I can do them, I just don't want to.
I had the opportunity to talk to a shingle engineer about what is the best shingle. He said they all have pros and cons but that he has Owens Corning Duration on his house. I have not used any other shingle since then.
I have steel on my house.

jsizemore
01-21-2018, 07:35 PM
We've been using these lately. I'm not sure if they're in your area.

https://www.atlasroofing.com/roof-shingles

shooter93
01-21-2018, 07:35 PM
Either one will be fine. At the same price/quality level any major companies shingles are comparable. I have 4/12 pitch on my house and although I'll re-roof this year I put on 25 year shingles on 28 years ago and could let it go a few more years if I wanted too.

bosterr
01-21-2018, 07:58 PM
I had my former home done with Owens Corning Duration in 2014. It's 8/12 pitch and I hired the premier roofer in the area. It was too steep for me to strip and shingle myself. He only used the Duration because of the lifetime warrantee. I did my 2 car garage because it's 3/12 pitch and I had all the equipment and I use to work for a roofer in the 80's. It was one of the hottest days of the year and the shingles wanted to stick together as soon as I threw them onto the roof. I had the roofer 5-nail the house, and I had plenty of coil nails so I did the same with the garage. I've seen shingles slip on steep roofs, so I wanted to be sure. I can't imagine the wind could lift them. I had 2 strips of ice guard installed at the bottom all around. It's absolutely essential in my book.

Metal roofs are the rage around here, but I'm suspicious of driving screws through a new roof. I know the screws have rubber washers under the head, but what happens after many hot/cold weather cycles and the washers start to split? The same contractor who did mine will only do standing seam metal for that very reason.

I would check to see if the Duration still had the lifetime warrantee and go from there. Things DO change.

Grmps
01-21-2018, 10:26 PM
If your roof isn't cut up (lots of dormers, gables, valleys) metal 1-inch standing seam is very easy to install, sheds snow well and is fireproof (a good feature to have in the woods and has many colors to choose from.

lefty o
01-21-2018, 10:56 PM
if your not going to be in the house more than a few years, find a roof with a transferable warranty. doesnt matter what it is, the warranty will give you a better return upon sale of the house.

Shepherd2
01-22-2018, 10:46 AM
I put on a metal roof about 6 years ago. At the time good metal was slightly cheaper than good shingles and the warranty was 15 years longer.

Kraschenbirn
01-22-2018, 11:32 AM
I went with CertainTeed last year, laid by same roofer who subcontracted most of the roof work for my renovation/restoration business. Forty-year, transferrable warranty (pro-rated, of course) BUT you have to do a complete tear-off (down to bare decking) then use their underlayment and vent system to get it. Previous shingles were also CertainTeed (applied by me and my crew, in between paying jobs) weren't their "Best" but were on for 25 years and could've probably gone a couple more.

Bill

Jeff Michel
01-22-2018, 12:27 PM
I've put Duration singles on 14 houses in the last three years. Guaranteed for winds in excess of 120 MPH and lifetime warranty if you use their underlayment. Metal is ok in the short term,after 10-12 years starting to see issues with insects moving in and condensation damage due primarily to marginal instillation practices. I am differentiating between standing seam and rigid steel sheeting. From what I've seen standing seam will out live everything but slate but it's expensive.

BD
01-22-2018, 09:05 PM
I would recommend Durations if you are shingling. I just redid my house roof for the third time and I'm going for the warrantee this time as I'll be in my 80's when it needs it again. So, Durations it is. My shop is getting the same next spring. If I didn't have five skylights and a chimney cricket I'd have gone metal. If your roof is fairly straight forward, metal is the way to go. Where metal falls down is in conflicting or asymmetric valleys, skylights, eyebrows, midspan pitch breaks and due south facing roofs in far northern climates. Unless you can afford something that can be soldered. I've supervised 1/2 dozen projects that got copper, or copper and slate, roofs and they are the best thing going. But, I can't afford it for my own roofs.

KCSO
01-23-2018, 12:25 PM
You need to get the shingles my brother has. He's been taking shots for two months and they won't go away! I put on Certain Teed 10 years ago and now I will have to live to 95 before I re roof. I stay up nights wondering witch one of us will make it.

sundog
01-23-2018, 01:16 PM
Here in Oklahoma any decent 25-30 year shingle will do fine, as it will not last that long anyway due to hail. My house is 22 plus years old and has had the original roof plus TWO (2) reroofs. Second reroof got beat up with SOFTBALL SIZE hail that also ripped holes in corregated steel roof on outbuilding! If your lucky, you might get more than 10-12 years out of a roof.

Adam20
04-21-2021, 04:17 PM
the duration will hold up better to wind, i have used both products alot

kerplode
04-21-2021, 08:16 PM
I put Class 4 IR Durations on my current house a couple years back. So far, so good! I live on the CO Front Range and we can get violent thunderstorms with big hail in the spring and lots of wind all year. Insurance covered the upgrade when my previous roof got nuked by a couple years of golf ball hail. Interestingly, the city changed their building codes around that time and now require IR shingles for all new roofs.

If I lived in the mountains, I'd probably go standing seam metal and be done with it, but there's no way HOA would sign off on that here, so shingles it is!

iomskp
04-21-2021, 08:50 PM
Where I live we get cyclones we have a tin roof screwed down like every one else in the area nobody gets roof damage I like tin

farmbif
04-21-2021, 09:00 PM
having lived in several homes and reroofed a couple with the best architectural shingles available. metal roofing is far superior and if done right, last decades longer than any asphalt shingle. plus if wildfires or chimney/fireplace sparks happen to send embers your way metal, will laugh at fire compared to tar based product

FLINTNFIRE
04-22-2021, 12:58 AM
Metal roofing is good , but has issues to , I have metal roofed structures and shingled , like metal if you do it right and go beyond what the normal install is , the shingles are fine if you buy the best rated and lay your underlayment good , do it yourself for the best roof .

Having roofed and seen what a lot of installers do I will always do my own , as to the shingles being a fire hazard as suggested above , he must burn creosote clinker chimney fires to worry about shingles catching fire , wildfire will burn your house from the ground as fast as the roof , your walls are more of a concern there keep plants shrubs brush away , but it is your call lots of different opinions and to each their own .

35isit
04-22-2021, 07:45 AM
My guy put on a metal roof cheaper than removing old shingles and putting back shingles. Go metal

gwpercle
04-22-2021, 01:25 PM
Go to metal.

About 10 years ( I think ?) maybe longer , ago we re-roofed and went metal . At the time OPEC controlled the oil and prices for oil were sky high thus asphalt shingles were high ... so high we got a metal roof for the same price as 25 year shingle roof . Used simple galvanized (silver color) vee groove metal roofing panels . The asphalt roof had a leaky spot no roofer could seem to fix ...
The metal roof stopped all leaks and ... I don't worry about wind or hail or sun damage and my heating / cooling bills dropped a good $50.00 a month . The silver color is cooler and reflects summer heat in summer ... I Love it !!! Taking stimulus money and getting metal roof on my two out buildings , garage and my casting reloading bldg .
If you can swing it ...go metal !

Like 35isit said ... they left the asphalt roof ... but you can't tell it's on , the metal roof covers completely . Got matching gutters and downspouts too, the old (1929) house is looking good now !
Gary

Dekota56
04-22-2021, 02:14 PM
Had my house for 32 yrs. replaced my roof several times. I live on a hill, and can’t keep shingles on this roof. We went an tried other types, the only thing that is working is I went to an all metal roof love it.

Petrol & Powder
04-22-2021, 05:36 PM
With the new snap together metal panels (Advantage LokII is one brand), you don't need clips or a big sheet metal brake to form the pans.
There are no exposed fasteners and the install time (labor costs) are less.
Metal still costs more up front but it is clearly the winner over the long run.

If the OP is thinking about selling the house in 3 -4 years, I would recommend the CHEAPEST shingles not the best shingles. The buyer for the house is not going to care enough about the quality of the shingle for you to recoup the cost of high quality shingles.

Cast_outlaw
04-23-2021, 09:19 PM
I’m a roofer have used both it won’t mater witch they are about equal quality bump my suggestion would be malarkey or gaf shingles gaf has the best warranty malarkey has the best design

Bmi48219
04-26-2021, 08:09 PM
Having had every type roof I’d go with metal now. Lot of tile roofs in FL. Pretty but expensive to repair after a hurricane.
If any manufacturers still make T-lock shingles you can’t beat them for an asphalt shingle roof. We bought a hose that had T-lock roof installed when they built the house in 1967. Sold it in 03 and the roof still had plenty of life to go.

Cast_outlaw
04-26-2021, 08:51 PM
T-locks have been discontinued for over 15 years they are great until the start to fail then they fail hard

Bmi48219
04-27-2021, 05:19 PM
I did a lot of roofing w/asphalt shingles before they came out with the architectural look. Never installed T-lock but can see where you’d have to really watch your bond & coursing.