PDA

View Full Version : Loading Manuals

captn-tin
01-21-2018, 01:47 PM
Anyone know what the best manual would be for loading cast boolits ? Looking mostly for 454 Casull loads, but will be looking for 45acp, 9mm, &38-357 loads in the near future. Sportsmans Warehouse has the Lyman Cast Bullet manual, but it is covered with plastic so you can't peek in it. Any suggestions ? Thanks, Bill

Hardcast416taylor
01-21-2018, 02:30 PM
As far as I`m concerned about cast boolet loads and advice on doing so get a Lyman cast reloading manual either the new one or a past version.Robert

tazman
01-21-2018, 04:00 PM
What he said^^^^^^^^

I also use the Hodgdon data site for a large variety of powders and cast loads in the cartridges you mention.

Wayne Smith
01-21-2018, 04:47 PM
Lyman Cast boolit manual - don't hesitate to get it even if sealed. The Lyman 50th as well.

rintinglen
01-21-2018, 04:54 PM
The only ones I can recommend are the Lyman Cast Boolit Handbook, 4th edition, (The 3rd edition has a tremendous amount of information, but so much of the data has been rendered obsolete, I really can no longer recommend it.) and the Speer Manual, with has some data for RCBS pistol molds. The Lyman 50th Reloading Manual is also worth consideration, if you also shoot Jacketed ammo.
Hodgdon has a great deal of pistol and revolver information on line as well.

Moonie
01-21-2018, 05:35 PM
Another vote for the Lyman Cast Boolit Handbook 4th edition. It has data for the 454.

Three-Fifty-Seven
01-21-2018, 09:45 PM
o ...

Rcmaveric
01-21-2018, 10:17 PM
Lyman Cast bullet is good. Lee Modern Reloader is my favorite. I am waiting for the Lee Modern Reloader 2017 Revision to come out. You can also sign up for loaddata.com by Wolfe Publishing and have access to every published load data ever printed by them. You can search it and then print them off and store them in a 3 ring binder. It tells you what manual it was from and even has loads from the older Lyman manual. Doesn't have the articles though from those manuals, just the load recipes.

Lyman 50th was a let down. I have the Lyman 49th, I read the 50th was supposed to have a lot of new loads and cast loads. Yeah, no, did not really have much cast bullet data as I was hoping.

As far as learning to cast and reload: Cast Bullets for Beginners and Experts, From Ingot to Target, Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook and Lee Modern Reloader all have my highest vote. As far as load data for a beginner Lyman and Lee wont steer you wrong. You will hear of others talking about the older load and how its missing from the newer Lymans. You can buy the older Lymans or you can join Loaddata.com like I did and have access to all the older loads and all the handloader magazine loads.

TMenezes
01-23-2018, 03:53 PM
Lee load Manuel is awesome, in addition to loads of cast load data, it also has some great articles on casting, lubing, gas checks, and blending for hardness.

Also never just buy one Manuel, buy several, they are cheap and fill in the gaps that the others may have. Grab the Lyman cast bullet handbook, and either the 49th or 50th edition Manuel. Their pistol and revolver handbook is good too.