PDA

View Full Version : CCW class yeterday

pmer
01-21-2018, 11:25 AM
I re-upped my CCW permit yesterday. I used my Ruger SR1911 Commander in a OTWB holster and a easy shooting 230 grain HP / Tightgroup load. We had to shoot 100 rounds 5 shots at a time. Some fast, some slow and some with a reload.

The last part was new in that we had to shoot picking up the gun from a bench. The instructor would start with his hand on your shoulder, remove his hand, then you could grab your hand gun while yelling "stop! go away!". From both facing the target and turned away. The target was moving towards you too. I thought that was pretty neat, it was designed to try and add some excitement or stress. And the last part was simulating shots from behind a column with a chance to shoot weak handed.

There was quite a variety in skill level or aptitude too. Someone dropped a mag out the bottom, another messed up their safety. And one had to re-fire her qualification target. The Ruger 1911 shot perfectly without a hitch with some pretty fast paced shots, faster than I shoot at home. I was thinking of using my alloy J frame 38 SPL. which I carry more but thought 100 rounds of +P 358429's would be less fun on my hand.

skeeter2
01-21-2018, 12:01 PM
Did you take the class? Ive taken it a couple times and the shooting has been more of a punishment than enjoyable. 100 rounds at an indoor range is unpleasant to me. I don’t really care to shoot at a man sized target at 7 yards.

Dan Cash
01-21-2018, 03:04 PM
Is this silly shouting, "Stop, go away," some kind of MN law or just a Concealed Carry Instructor's idea? At the ranges common to CCW tests, one better be shooting in self defence and not issuing silly orders/pleas.

pmer
01-21-2018, 03:52 PM
Did you take the class? Ive taken it a couple times and the shooting has been more of a punishment than enjoyable. 100 rounds at an indoor range is unpleasant to me. I don’t really care to shoot at a man sized target at 7 yards.

Yes I took the class. It was my first renewal class, it took about 4 hours.

pmer
01-21-2018, 04:08 PM
Is this silly shouting, "Stop, go away," some kind of MN law or just a Concealed Carry Instructor's idea? At the ranges common to CCW tests, one better be shooting in self defence and not issuing silly orders/pleas.

I think the idea was to help show you are to be a reluctant participant and not be a gunslinger.

marlin39a
01-21-2018, 04:56 PM
Sounds to me like a great course. I've taken a couple here at Gunsite. They test your nerve for sure. I live about 2 miles from them. I love hearing the shooting, especially on a summer night.

skeeter2
01-21-2018, 06:25 PM
Sorry, I meant to ask where did you take the class?

Bubba w/a 45/70
01-21-2018, 08:40 PM
I took my first "ever" defensive shooting class last summer and had a blast. More work than I thought it was going to be, more shooting than I thought I was going to do,and more reactionary thinking than I thought I was going to do.

594 rounds fired through my B6P 9mm in 2 days, a couple hundred through my AR15, and homework to do afterwards for many months.

Nothing to do with CWP testing, but still thought I would post this anyway.

I agree, the speaking part of it gets you thinking on multiple levels and makes sure you aren't the agrees or in the eyes of bystanders and such to be used against you later.

Hick
01-21-2018, 09:24 PM
Sounds like a fun class to me. When I did my CCW I used my S&W Model 64 revolver. The instructor looked at that revolver and required me to do all the qualifying shooting double action (the theory being that in a tight spot it takes too much time to do single action). Didn't make any difference as I qualified first time out anyway.

bob208
01-21-2018, 09:44 PM
could be fun. but to renew here just fill out your form take it to the sheriff office. give the forms and $20. wait for your turn for picture then leave with your 5 year license to carry.

Three-Fifty-Seven
01-21-2018, 09:49 PM
0 iirc ...

FergusonTO35
01-21-2018, 10:17 PM
Wow, Minnesota training requirements are hardcore. I would have some fun with it and say the required phrase in Spanish like Bumblebee Man from The Simpsons: "No Senor! No Mas! No Mas!"

pworley1
01-21-2018, 10:22 PM
We have to renew in person every other renewal. the first renewal can be done online. We do not have to retest.

FergusonTO35
01-21-2018, 11:12 PM
Here in the Bluegrass, we can renew and pay the fees online or in person; however either way you have to pick up your new card in person at the sheriff's office. If you don't currently have a license you have to apply in person.

pmer
01-21-2018, 11:14 PM
It was near North Branch on interstate 35, north of the twin cities. Bullseye Shooting Range.

Bubba w/a 45/70
01-22-2018, 07:07 AM
In ND, to renew the Class 2 license, all that is required is renewal paperwork, updated photos, money, and a bit of time for the BCI to check you out. Class 1 renewals require FTF more, same paperwork, but skills testing, new fingerprints, more money...and the joy of having a larger reciprocity pool of states to carry in.

6bg6ga
01-22-2018, 07:21 AM
My last renewal was timed for 10 shots, 5 shots, different distances and different lighting conditions. No one screamed or anything stupid like that. Some screwed up with the timed 10 round with mag changes. I passed easily.

winelover
01-22-2018, 08:11 AM
Just a cylinder full or magazine.....to see if you can hit paper and operate your firearm. Qualify with a semi, you can carry either revolver or semi and renewal is in five years. Qualify with a revolver, you can only carry a revolver and permit must be renewed in three.

Winelover