PDA

View Full Version : Compact 4x4 tractor advice?

BD
01-20-2018, 03:42 PM
I've been looking for an affordable small tractor for a couple of years, but don't really know that much about them. I have a lot more experience with excavators, skid steers, bulldozers and telehandlers over the years. I'm not tied into any particular brand, and in general low hours means more to me than date of manufacture. JD and Kubota are the most common brands I see around here. At the end of the day I'd like something around 30 hp with a loader, backhoe, cultivator and maybe a snow blower. I've been told by the local dealer to avoid any Kubota earlier than the mid 90's due to parts availability. I haven't gotten any such warnings about the JDs. I'm going to look at a 1996 JD 870 with a loader and hoe on its this week. 1,000 hrs on the clock and in the pics paint looks good. Asking price on that one is 16,000. Any advice?

Blanket
01-20-2018, 04:33 PM
check out LS and Branson

BD
01-20-2018, 05:42 PM
I've never heard of LS or Branson. Can you give me any basic info, (where they are built, who builds the engines, pricing?).
Searching the web, the only LS dealer anywhere near me is a very small shop, 80 miles away, and in a different country, (Quebec). I'm not finding any price info.
The Branson website is 90% unusable. No pricing and the dealer locator puts the only dealer within 500 miles on top of a mountain 20 miles from me in a township where the total population is zero? There is no real road on Whitecap Mtn, so I am pretty sure there isn't a tractor dealer up there.

BD
01-20-2018, 05:53 PM
A question for anyone knowledgable about the John Deere stuff. Would the implements from the 850 series fit the 870s? I am asking because I may have a source for a couple of 850 implements that have have been sitting for a long time. The woman's husband died, and his 850 and the implements have been sitting in the yard for 15 years now. I've asked a few times and she is unwilling to sell the tractor for sentimental reasons, (and I don't know how I feel about a tractor thats been grown up in weeds for 15 years), but maybe she'd part with the implements.

merlin101
01-20-2018, 06:15 PM
I'm a Kubota fan so you now what I recommend, one thing I'd worry about with a JD is the computer software. I've heard that JD considers it always theirs and you just get to use it, end result you MUST have tractor repaired at a Deere dealer.
Parts for a Kubota could be a problem but only if they break down which they don't seem to do! My old Kubota B6000 is still running strong even after 42 yrs the only parts that have been changed besides glow plugs is the starter air filter housing and hoses (coolant and hydraulic).
I told ya I was a bota fan!

akajun
01-20-2018, 06:25 PM
Either jd ir kubota is fine , the one you listed seems a bit high to me for its age. Go to tractor by net for discussions on various brands and models . One decision maker for me as far as brand, where is the dealer for parts and service? If one is 20 mins away and the other an hour or two I know which brand id buy.

MyFlatline
01-20-2018, 06:30 PM
If you hadn't said back hoe......A few years ago, I got the Kubota 25hp with the front loader. It is one little working machine. I keep a grapple rake on my. Sure is handy with tree debris.

I took advantage of a zero down, stupid low payment for 5 years, fully insured. The insurance sold me. If I rolled it, they pay, if I catch it on fire, they pay, and I still get a tractor. My first Kubota, I'm happy.

Blanket
01-20-2018, 06:32 PM
http://lstractorusa.com/ They Make the compacts for New Holland at about 20% higher price, Branson is made in Korea and assembled in Rome Georgia and is made by the same company that makes JD's for the Asian market. I have a 2640 JD but that is a lot larger tractor.

blackriver
01-20-2018, 06:33 PM
I have owned and operated over a dozen Kubota tractors in the past 20 years. They have ranged from 30hp to 125hp and have been used commercially. They were run hard by employees. Other than normal wear and tear, they never let me down. I did try a couple of green tractors one year, within a few months they were traded in for Kubota’s. In my opinion the Kubota is the best compact tractor on the market today.

PaulG67
01-20-2018, 06:38 PM
I have owned Yanmar and John Deere, and for those two reasons I now own a Kubota. Yanmar was good, the John Deere was horrible even though it too was a Yanmar it was nothing but trouble. I have had the Kubota BX25D for 6 years now and it can't be beat. Front loader, backhoe and three point hitch snowblower. As far as using implements from one tractor to another the three point hitch universal.

Geezer in NH
01-20-2018, 06:41 PM
Closet dealer with great service IMHO

rockrat
01-20-2018, 07:50 PM
I have had a JD950 for about 25 years. Have a loader and hoe on it. Regular maintenance and had a power steering setup put on it (don't know how I did it for years without one---I know, I was younger and stronger!!). Bought wife a 770 with belly mower last year for $7k. Figure loader at around $4k and hoe, maybe the same. My JD's don't have computers, newer ones do. Doubt the 850 stuff will fit, but you never know. Too bad she won't sell the 850, good machines. Maybe you can convince her you would take care of it just like her husband did.

Hossfly
01-20-2018, 08:13 PM
Started with an old English Ford Super Dexta 1962 Perkins diesel, man was that thing hard to start when it got cold, below 50’ You better get jumpers ready. Then picked up JD 950 with decomp to help start unloaded, wore it out just a little light for my doings. Finally got a 30 hp Kabota with front loader glow plugs and fast shift rop on top with sun canopy. This week at 11’ needed to clean out horse stalls, and haul off bedding after hitting glow plug switch for 20 seconds she fired right up, other tractors will do same but for now I’m Orange. Wow 11’ for Louisiana is cold.Crawfish hard to find now for sho.

Hossfly
01-20-2018, 08:21 PM
I think all small hp 3 pt hitch equip will work every thing I have from the 50s - 90s brush hogs hole digger and tillers all hook up fine.

AnthonyB
01-20-2018, 08:24 PM
I bought a Kubota BX2680 last year after moving back to AL. It has the front bucket and belly mower, and that bucket is a very versatile tool! Paid around 17K for mine at 0% interest. I have nothing negative to say about a JD but love the Kubota.
Tony

Elkins45
01-20-2018, 08:30 PM
The JD small tractors are rebadged Indian or Korean imports, so if that’s the route you want to go I would just cut out the middleman and buy a Koyote, Branson or Mahindra.

I bought a new Kubota L3800 (gear) with a loader in 2013 and don’t regret the purchase at all. I had a MF 245 that I sold last spring and I don’t miss it at all.

Pay extra and have them load your tires with Rim Guard. It makes a huge difference and no corrosion worries.

TXGunNut
01-20-2018, 08:34 PM
Kubota! Great service from tractor and dealer. True zero finance hard to beat as well.

Ickisrulz
01-20-2018, 08:34 PM
I have had a BX25D for a couple years now and it has been great. In addition to the front end loader and backhoe I use a rototiller and flail mower. It can do lots of work, just not fast.

Thundarstick
01-20-2018, 08:36 PM
One thing you should keep in mind, and that's what am I really going to do with this tractor? I have a1979 Yanmar that tills the garden, and runs the box blade. I don't need an expensive new tractor! It starts when I think it shouldn't and pulls more than it should for 23hp, but it's a fairly heavy tractor. Keep in mind that anything you buy new over 25hp will be tear 4 emissions! I would buy a 25hp Kubota L ( no computerised common rail injectors or EPF to go bad) before a B series. Be aware that some of the older Deeres aren't very well supported, at least a Kubota is a Kubota is a Kubota, and not cobbled from Japan, Korea, China, etc etc! Don't discount Mahindra either, they have the most weight and lifting capacity per given size!

MyFlatline
01-20-2018, 08:39 PM
That is exactly what sold me on mine...great point.

woody1
01-20-2018, 08:44 PM
And you prob'ly believe that a 21 year old tractor only has a thousand hours on it. Right? Mebe so but I'd look hard at it.

Not knowing how hard you plan to work it and what you plan to do, it's hard to know what to recommend and I won't. I do however hear good things about Kubota and would likely have bought one but.........I kept procrastinating, did I really need a new tractor. Well yeah 'cause I really, really needed a front loader and the ancient Ford 8N I've been drivin' forever doesn't even have live hydraulics. I liked John Deere (mostly the prices) so well I never visited them even though I can see the local dealership from my house. I did do a lot of internet research and you should too. I used this site a lot. http://www.tractordata.com

And this one www.tractorhouse.com. I joined a bunch of tractor forums and searched 'em all.

In the end I bought a 2013 New Holland T1510 4WD with a NH front loader and a rear tiller that was being repossessed. It had about 700 hours on it and I know what kind of hours most of 'em were. I paid exactly $10,000 for it. The New Holland dealer where the tractor was originally purchased is only about 15 miles down the highway from me. Look around, don't get in a hurry, do your research, and ask questions as you are. There's a deal out there waiting for you.

Houndog
01-20-2018, 08:55 PM
I've had a New Holland TC30 for over 15 years and outside of normal maintenance it's been bullet proof. I've used a 6' finish mower, a 5' bush hog, a 6 foot scraper blade, 6 foot disc mower, pickup hay rake, 6 foot rotary tiller as well as the front loader and hitch mounted hoe you asked about. One plus over a Kubota and a small Deere is it has a standard size cat 1 3 point hitch so any equipment you may buy is easier to find and MUCH cheaper than cat 0 or some other hybrid equipment you may want to buy. Mine has just over 2000 hours on it now and is showing no signs of trouble yet.

jmort
01-20-2018, 09:03 PM
"The JD small tractors are rebadged Indian or Korean imports"

No, they are Yanmars or at the very least powered by Yanmar engines which are superb
I have a 2017 2032

"Assembled in the US from globally sourced components and sub-assemblies. Engine is obviously Yanmar, which is a great thing because they are bulletproof engines."

buckwheatpaul
01-20-2018, 09:13 PM
Got a Kubota L3400 (34 hp) 4 wd with loader and shuttle shift with a whopping 98 hours for $15,000.00 two years ago....been tough and good!

Ickisrulz
01-20-2018, 11:14 PM

No, they are Yanmars or at the very least powered by Yanmar engines which are superb
I have a 2017 2032

"Assembled in the US from globally sourced components and sub-assemblies. Engine is obviously Yanmar, which is a great thing because they are bulletproof engines."

There is a billboard directly across from the local John Deere dealer asking people to take a look under that green hood where they will find a Yanmar engine. The Yanmar dealer is a little farther up the road. This is potentially the most effective sign I've seen.

Petrol & Powder
01-20-2018, 11:45 PM
Well the Op really opened a can of worms.

Might as well asked which truck is better - Ford or Chevy :-o

I had a Kubota 22hp and killed it after about 15 years. I will say that I wasn't particularly good to it. The hydraulic pump eventually went and it just wasn't worth repairing. It also developed a cooling problem that seemed to be related to the hydraulic problem. I can't say it was a bad tractor because it took a lot of abuse.

Replaced it with a 26 hp Mahindra. The jury is still out on that one.

A friend had an old grey market Yanmar that was as tough as any small tractor I've ever seen. In fact, it was tougher than a lot of American tractors that were larger.

My biggest complaint is you can't get a gear drive with a true shuttle shift and live PTO's until you get way above 30 hp in most models.
Hydrostatic drive is convenient but has some limitations.

The engines on most of the compact tractors are 3 cylinder diesels and they have proven to be rather durable. Cast iron blocks & heads, forged cranks, mechanical injection pumps; not much to go wrong.

I looked at compact John Deere (Yanmar powered for the most part) and you pay a lot for the name and the green paint.

The Kubota's are good but not as competitive price wise as they once were. The old gear drive Kubota's seem to go forever.

Mahindra cuts some corners but appears to be about on par with the Kubota but a little cheaper and not as refined.

There are other makes but none of them really stand out.

Blanket
01-21-2018, 12:01 AM
interesting thread but will say a Kabota won't pull or pick up what it says it will

samari46
01-21-2018, 12:08 AM
I HAD a John Deere years ago and it was nothing but a money pit. Sold it and bought a Kubota L3800 with bushog and front end loader. And I also got the insurance which is a good thing. Frank

Blanket
01-21-2018, 12:21 AM
I have had JD tractors since the 60's all older ones but would go with an import now unless you are tilling

Blanket
01-21-2018, 12:23 AM
And you prob'ly believe that a 21 year old tractor only has a thousand hours on it. Right? Mebe so but I'd look hard at it.

Not knowing how hard you plan to work it and what you plan to do, it's hard to know what to recommend and I won't. I do however hear good things about Kubota and would likely have bought one but.........I kept procrastinating, did I really need a new tractor. Well yeah 'cause I really, really needed a front loader and the ancient Ford 8N I've been drivin' forever doesn't even have live hydraulics. I liked John Deere (mostly the prices) so well I never visited them even though I can see the local dealership from my house. I did do a lot of internet research and you should too. I used this site a lot. http://www.tractordata.com

And this one www.tractorhouse.com. I joined a bunch of tractor forums and searched 'em all.

In the end I bought a 2013 New Holland T1510 4WD with a NH front loader and a rear tiller that was being repossessed. It had about 700 hours on it and I know what kind of hours most of 'em were. I paid exactly $10,000 for it. The New Holland dealer where the tractor was originally purchased is only about 15 miles down the highway from me. Look around, don't get in a hurry, do your research, and ask questions as you are. There's a deal out there waiting for you. That would be an LS

Thundarstick
01-21-2018, 06:56 AM
Once again, what's the tractors main job? If in mainly going to run a mower, I'm going hydrostatic, if it's main purpose is ground engaging plows, disk, tiller, it's going to be geared. How many hours/ year are you really going to put on it. I probably put 20-25 hours on my old tractor. A 3000lb 25hp tractor will out work a 32hp 1950lb tractor. When it comes to the small Deeres, I'd look at the new 100% Japanese Yanmars for the same reason I'd
I'll buy Kubota over a Deere. The diesel emissions over 25hp should also be a serious consideration, unless you really really need the extra hp. Don't discount Mahindra out of hand either. Just because they are fairly new to the North American market don't make them some johnny come lately tractor co. We had an old IH growing up that was just a Mahindra in IH paint, and it was tough as they come.

William Yanda
01-21-2018, 08:58 AM
Either jd ir kubota is fine , the one you listed seems a bit high to me for its age. Go to tractor by net for discussions on various brands and models . One decision maker for me as far as brand, where is the dealer for parts and service? If one is 20 mins away and the other an hour or two I know which brand id buy.

I am not a tractor owner, but I worked with dairy farmers for 20 years. Whether milking systems or tractors, the dealer in question is a real deal maker/breaker.

Plate plinker
01-21-2018, 09:05 AM
All the kubotas I have run were excellent machines. And the backhoe attachment is super handy.

rockrat
01-21-2018, 12:42 PM
Nephew bought a new Mahindra. Around 60hp. Fuel tank rusted out after two years and after months of waiting for a new tank from the dealer, traded it back in and bought a used JD.

21 year tractor with 1000 hours??? My 950 has just around 1000 hours and I believe its 30 years old. to beat that , a MF 135 , I inherited from my Grandfather is a 73 model with the perkins diesel. It has around 600 hours and still runs great.

buckwheatpaul
01-21-2018, 12:51 PM
interesting thread but will say a Kabota won't pull or pick up what it says it will

Not trying to pick a fight but I have 3 different sizes of Kubota tractors, and after countless research they fit the bill and they all pick up what they are rated for....however, if you are doing heavy plowing they are light in the back end and not as strong as a Case or John Deere. In my end of the world if you own green you play h#$$ getting it worked on. But for ranch work....hay bailing, moving brush, discing and such they are great simple machines.

seaboltm
01-21-2018, 01:38 PM
After a lot of research I settled on a mahindra last month. So far I like it.

BD
01-21-2018, 03:37 PM
My primary initial use for this small tractor will be burying the power line to my house, burying a waterline to the garden and digging out the back side of the foundation of my shop for some remedial waterproofing and drainage work. I'd also like to widen the circle at the driveway to the shop and do a little clean up around the place. And, till the garden twice a year, (something I currently pay to have done). At some point, given a good cold winter, I'd like to drive it across the ice to our island camp to put in a little better bases for the posts and add a small gray water drainage field. So I'd say I want it mostly to move dirt. A snowblower and wood splitter would be nice if I ever came across the implements at a good price.
]

Plate plinker
01-21-2018, 04:47 PM
For wood splitting you now have a hydraulic pump so you find a splitter with a bad motor just modify it or weld up your own.

rancher1913
01-21-2018, 04:57 PM
a friend has a massy with the backhoe attachment, I had to show him how to drop it and reattach it. it had surprisingly good digging power and was easy to operate. another friend has a coyote tractor with a similar backhoe attachment that won't hardly do nothing.

I gave up on one size fits all a long time ago, run mostly ford/new holland tractors and have from a 30 horse all the way to a 150 horse so the one that gets used depends on the job. have some john deeres including a newer skidder but they are harder to work on than the fords. have some caterpillars as well including a smaller track hoe and its a bear to get parts because the local dealer is a 2 hour drive.

Thundarstick
01-21-2018, 05:24 PM
For what you have listed as the tractors job, I'd keep my eyes open for a used rig of the brand that has support near you. Looks to me like you'll be like me and put very few hours a year on it, but need it when you need it! Tractors aren't like automobiles, 20 years ain't nothing for a good tractor. Do as much research as you can on the model you are considering to see if there are known bugs. Some do have them!
I grew up on a big farm and my folks still have and use regularly tractors I drove as a teen nearly 40 years ago!

rockrat
01-21-2018, 06:16 PM
I second that part about checking on support for what you might buy. My JD dealer is primo on work on my tractors (the few times I have needed it), but my Sister could hardly ever get her JD people to do squat and when they did, she was never happy with their work. Good used tractors are few and far between around here. I almost bought a Kubota with belly mower for my wife to use, but by the time I talked to her about it and got her to go with me to see it, it was gone.

jmort
01-21-2018, 06:30 PM
My JD dealer is first rate
Makes sense to get the brand with the best service and support that is close to you

WebMonkey
01-21-2018, 08:07 PM
b7600 hydro drive for ten years now.
bought it used along with a new kubota 3pt backhoe.

other than a little weak in the font loader department, i've been nothing but happy.
:)
clamp on pallet forks are my most used implement.
;)

woody1
01-21-2018, 09:01 PM
IMO based on what you've said about what you need it to do, I don't think you need a 30 HP tractor. I certainly wouldn't think you'd need anything bigger than the JD you mentioned. You'd pro'bly do fine with something from there down to mebe even 24HP. Unless of course you get a screaming deal you can't pass up.

Elkins45
01-22-2018, 11:05 AM

I have a 2017 2032

Hmmm...five years ago when I was tractor shopping a Deere salesman told me they were either Indian or Korean. Either they have changed since then or that guy didn’t know his product very well. I didn't bother to check out what he said because his quote for an equivalent JD tractor was $5K higher that the Kubota quote, so I knew I wasn’t going with a Deere.

I thought the Cub Cadets were the rebadged but otherwise complete Yanmar units, so if Deere is selling complete Yanmars and not just engines then it might be worth looking at a Case and doing a little comparison bargaining.

I agree that Yanmar makes a great engine, and support should be easy to find. I’m just glad I bought mine before all the computerized emissions controls were required.

Handloader109
01-22-2018, 02:58 PM
For all the small tractors under about 50hp, they are all imports. None of them are made in the US.. JD, Case, Massey, all the of US manufacturers are imported Korean and Indian builds. The better have Yanmar engine. LS, TYM, MAHINDRA are all roughly the same. Kubota not really any different, just the largest importer in the US. Pick one, check as best you can the service and cross your fingers.

Elkins45
01-22-2018, 03:43 PM
For all the small tractors under about 50hp, they are all imports. None of them are made in the US.. JD, Case, Massey, all the of US manufacturers are imported Korean and Indian builds. The better have Yanmar engine. LS, TYM, MAHINDRA are all roughly the same. Kubota not really any different, just the largest importer in the US. Pick one, check as best you can the service and cross your fingers.

WHERE they are imported from makes a difference to me. All else being equal I would prefer a Japanese product over a Korean or Indian one.

Kubota has a factory in Georgia, but I don’t know if they make compact tractors there.

BD
01-22-2018, 08:52 PM
Part Of what I'm looking at is digging depth and reach on the backhoe. I'm in northern Maine, my footings and water lines are all 7' or deeper. The JD 8B will go 8'6" down and reach about 11'. To match, or better that, in a used Kubota I'd be looking at an L35. I see L35s around still working, and I'd love to own one, but they go for 25% more than the JD 870s for machines with twice the hours. I'm also a little leary of the basic strength of all of the newer machines, (most of the brands after 2004 or so), looking under them there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of structure down the length of the machine. Similar capacity backhoes seem to come with full length subframes that really limit the ground clearance of the whole rig. It seems to me that a subframe that only extends to the middle of the machine would allow you to get out of a hangup using the hoe. A subframe that extends all the way to the front axle seems like it could get a guy real hung up. I should also mention that while I have very little experience with small tractors, I have thousands of hours on skid steers, track loaders and large telehandlers, and hundreds of hours on bulldozers and excavators. When I look at compact tractors, all of it looks a little delicate.

MyFlatline
01-22-2018, 09:02 PM
Sounds like you need bigger than compact then. That or consider renting a mini ex for the big dig and use the compact for everything else...I know that don't make sense but ya gotta look at the financial options also..
Best of luck which ever way you go, sure is fun to run good equipment. I wish I could justify a little dozer just
because, lots of hours on em..

BD
01-22-2018, 09:14 PM
This is something for me to mess around with in my retirement years. if I need to dig a foundation, I'll borrow a 200 for a day or two. I just want something to do all those little jobs and "tune ups" that didn't really become apparent until I'd lived with the major work for a year or two. I need to be able to go outside and get something done, even if it's not much, it might be enough that I won't get sucked inside the house "redecorating".

Ateam
01-22-2018, 09:22 PM
I have a kubota L2900, awesome machine. Changed the bucket to quick attach a few years ago, and it wears forks most of the time now. Mainly moves logs, and unloads steel at the shop.

I looked into running a log splitter of the hydraulics, and on my bota at least, the gpm was way too slow. It would take forever to split any amount of wood.

Father in law has a Newholland of comparable power, and it is a gutless piece of garbage, wont do half the work the bota will, especially like climbing a hill and mowing simultaneously.

BD
01-29-2018, 10:10 PM
I bought the JD 870. 980 hrs on the clock, everything works as it should, no leaks, no smoke. It's not new by any means but it's been well kept up, and it's been kept painted, and the rear tires are new. I paid 1,000 less than asking as he never used the 3 pt and didn't have all the 3 pt links. I'm happy with it so far. My only issue is that the backhoe controls are opposite to everything I've ever run, and there's no switch under the seat to swap them to Cat. But on the plus side, there's no computer either. Now to find a good 60" tiller.

starmac
01-29-2018, 11:40 PM
I am curious, when they standardized the backhoe controls excavators went to cat controls and rubber tired hoes went to john deere patterns, are you used to tracked cat controls or rubber tired?

BD
01-30-2018, 05:42 AM
At this point I'm used to CAT, I don't think I've had a rubber tired hoe on a job since the '80's. I haven't spent much time at work on equipment in the last 10 years, but it's been 30 years since I've been on anything with JD controls. Feels a little awkward, but I'll get used to it. A lot less pump flow than an excavator as well. Using the dipper stick and boom simultaneously really slows it down. Even curling the bucket slows the boom down a little.

Three44s
01-30-2018, 12:09 PM
The strap on backhoes on any tractor is questionable, but on a small tractor I would think they on a par with a pooper scooper.

I would buy/rent a real machine for your real work and then buy the “pooper scooper” to dress up the edges.

Best regards

Three44s

jmort
01-30-2018, 12:18 PM
You want a frame mounted backhoe
Not a 3 Point mounted hoe
That is a fine looking tractor you got there

BD
01-30-2018, 07:33 PM
It's a sub frame 8b hoe. I'll need to be a little gentle with it as I watched one break it's own dipper stick cylinder on a 1050 back in 1995 when the guy on it worked the dipper against the boom trying to wiggle loose a stump from under the edge of a building. To get a hoe that will reach that deep these days you'd need a 35-40 HP tractor. A 790, (1990-1999) has more engine HP but less PTO HP, and less hydraulic pressure and flow. Seems like the new stuff gives up a lot to hydrostatic drive.

Elkins45
01-31-2018, 04:30 PM
I know there are 100 good reasons to go with a hydro, but I went gear (shuttle shift) with no regrets. If I were just doing loader work I might have considered hydro, but I want every available ounce of power going to the PTO when I’m tilling or mowing.

lightman
02-01-2018, 09:57 AM
Thats a nice looking tractor! Its always an adjustment to get off of a large machine and onto a compact one. I have to constantly remind myself that its faster than doing the work by hand.

Maineboy
02-01-2018, 10:58 AM
I bought the JD 870. 980 hrs on the clock, everything works as it should, no leaks, no smoke. It's not new by any means but it's been well kept up, and it's been kept painted, and the rear tires are new. I paid 1,000 less than asking as he never used the 3 pt and didn't have all the 3 pt links. I'm happy with it so far. My only issue is that the backhoe controls are opposite to everything I've ever run, and there's no switch under the seat to swap them to Cat. But on the plus side, there's no computer either. Now to find a good 60" tiller.

BD, no snow at Moosehead this year? Nice tractor for sure. I'm starting to look around for one mainly for snow removal and bush hogging

dverna
02-01-2018, 11:57 AM
Yes, nice machine and a good price.

When I went through this, I talked to the guy who dug my pond and the guy who did most of my landscaping. Both talked my out of getting a backhoe attachment. For the cost, it makes sense to hire someone to do that kind of work and one of the guys lives only 4 miles from me. I was set to buy a Kubota when my closest neighbor told me I could use his L35 anytime I wanted. And he has a brush hog, tiller, blade, York rake, discs, FEL. etc. So it was hard to justify getting a tractor.

I still have the itch as I hate to borrow things, but I have not scratched it yet. Last year I went through less than 10 gallons of fuel but I only borrow it when I really need it. If I had one sitting here it would get more use but not enough to warrant the investment.

BD
02-04-2018, 11:07 AM
Plenty of snow at Moosehead, the pic is Manchester NH where I picked it up.

Maineboy
02-04-2018, 01:40 PM
Plenty of snow at Moosehead, the pic is Manchester NH where I picked it up.

I figured you had your share on the big lake. Plenty here too with more coming today and again on Wednesday. Looking forward to spring.

Beau Cassidy
02-06-2018, 05:20 PM
Ahhh. Moosehead lake. Beautiful country. I worked up that way for a few months 5 years ago. Took the now wife up in a float plane. She wasn't too keen on the idea but laughs about it now. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180206/30497e8d330cab112f3bdccb263bea6b.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180206/5a87856f965f542539c6cac0bd7d7553.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180206/b717a807b745230b37c02f3ca2b77028.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180206/31660065205fdabfa07a48cc620211e1.jpg

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

BD
02-06-2018, 07:59 PM
Looks Like Roger's beaver, (Curriers flying service), and your wife does NOT look very relaxed :) Actually VFR float planes are the norm up here. It's the IFR landings at the Greenville airport with the 200' ceiling limit in between the 2,000 ft hilltops that gets exciting at times.

BD
02-06-2018, 08:02 PM
Yes, nice machine and a good price.

When I went through this, I talked to the guy who dug my pond and the guy who did most of my landscaping. Both talked my out of getting a backhoe attachment. For the cost, it makes sense to hire someone to do that kind of work and one of the guys lives only 4 miles from me. I was set to buy a Kubota when my closest neighbor told me I could use his L35 anytime I wanted. And he has a brush hog, tiller, blade, York rake, discs, FEL. etc. So it was hard to justify getting a tractor.

I still have the itch as I hate to borrow things, but I have not scratched it yet. Last year I went through less than 10 gallons of fuel but I only borrow it when I really need it. If I had one sitting here it would get more use but not enough to warrant the investment.

An L35 was my first choice, but I couldn't find a decent one with twice the hours even for nearly twice the price. I know a couple of L35s that could give the energizer bunny a run for his money.

Beau Cassidy
02-06-2018, 11:39 PM
Sure is! Real good guy. It was my first time in a Beaver. I sat in the co-seat. When we were about to take off the hinge on the engine cowling broke and it came up and hit the windshield in front of me! He just shut it down in the middle of the lake, got out, and fixed it, and we took off.. I thought my wife was gonna have a fit over that!

Ramguy
02-08-2018, 12:08 PM
Kinda new (very) on this site, just chiming in. I own a Yanmar 220D which is a 4WD Diesel. I LOVE!!! this thing. A few years ago I had one of the front seals go bad. I checked the internet and Yanmar parts were a little spendy. I then found a cross thread that listed a JD750. I called my local dealer and he said a JD750 is a Yanmar... he had the part in stock and stuck it in the mail. I had it next day and tractor was up and running shortly thereafter. I got mine for $3500 about 12 years ago. So far I have replaced that seal, a water pump, a steering sector (pushing too much snow) and several oil filters during regular maintenance. I am afraid to even think about the day that this unit fails completely, i rely on it that much. Maybe I will go first.