PDA

View Full Version : Northerner needs to learn how to make Sausage Gravy

6bg6ga
01-19-2018, 07:39 AM
Grew up in the midwest and I've never tasted sausage gravy. The other night I made some sausage and figured I'd try to make some sausage gravy. I thickened the drippings in the pan and added some milk just like I have made **** on the shingles in the past. The end result didn't taste too good.

So, how do you make it? or is it just plain tasteless.

Thundarstick
01-19-2018, 07:48 AM
It can't be taught, is a birth rite!

6bg6ga
01-19-2018, 07:55 AM
Its an acquired taste?

phonejack
01-19-2018, 08:08 AM
My wife adds flour to the drippings and heats until the flour starts to turn brown. Then she adds the milk and cooks until desired thickness is obtained. Last, she finely chops some cooked sausage and adds to the gravy. Serve over biscuits.

6bg6ga
01-19-2018, 08:11 AM
My wife adds flour to the drippings and heats until the flour starts to turn brown. Then she adds the milk and cooks until desired thickness is obtained. Last, she finely chops some cooked sausage and adds to the gravy. Serve over biscuits.

That is just what I did and there must have been something with the drippings. Had sausage pattys with toasted english muffins covered with gravy.

Maybe I will try some bacon drippings next time for more flavor or maybe asausage with a higher degree of seasonings.

GhostHawk
01-19-2018, 08:42 AM
I suspect it is all in the sausage.

Salt and pepper also help, pepper in particular. My wife and I have been discovering that Cavendish greek seasoning adds a nice bit of flavor to foods that have grown tasteless with age. Might try it.

Biggin
01-19-2018, 08:55 AM
I guess I'm a little different. I start out with hot bacon grease stir in a handful of flour make a rou then add milk and let it cook. Stir occasionally to keep it from clumping up. Add in the sausage after it starts to cook. Pepper to taste. It's a learned skill u have to pull it off at the right time to keep it from overcooking.

MyFlatline
01-19-2018, 08:59 AM
I'm betting the lack of spices. Milk and flour ( think glue ) have little or no taste. A good sausage helps a bunch.

tinhorn97062
01-19-2018, 09:08 AM
I guess I'm a little different. I start out with hot bacon grease stir in a handful of flour make a rou then add milk and let it cook. Stir occasionally to keep it from clumping up. Add in the sausage after it starts to cook. Pepper to taste. It's a learned skill u have to pull it off at the right time to keep it from overcooking.

^^^^ Exactly how I make my gravy.

pworley1
01-19-2018, 09:50 AM
I don't know how to tell you how to do it, I have never measured anything in the 50+ years that i have been making it, but I will tell you what I do.
First cook good sausage. Pour off all but about three or so table spoons of the grease produced. Using medium low heat add enough self-rising flour to create a thin paste. Be sure to add salt and pepper to this mix. When this mix has become smooth and slightly brown, add a crumbled up sausage and 3 or 4 cups of milk. Continue to cook over medium heat stirring constantly until the mix just begins to bubble. Remove from heat at once and pour into a bowl. enjoy.

Taylor
01-19-2018, 10:02 AM
These recipes ain't gonna do you no good if'n ya'll don't know how to make cathead biscuits

woody1
01-19-2018, 10:50 AM
It IS Rocket Science and it has to be learned. Review post #8 and think seriously about it. There's your answer. It's all in the spices the sausage either contains or that you must add if using "mild" sausage. A little more salt helps too. As does a little "Uncle Woody's secret seasoning.

Greg S
01-19-2018, 10:58 AM
I like butter or bacon fat rue. Salt, pepper and a sprinkle of granulated garlic (1/8-1/4 tsp) for a faint background flavor. Rubbed sage if your sausage is weak in flavor.

KenH
01-19-2018, 11:01 AM
toasted english muffins??????????????????

Gotta be biscuits!!! and if they're not HOMEMADE, they're not "real" biscuits

buckwheatpaul
01-19-2018, 12:01 PM

I make it exactly the same way but I add salt, pepper, and garlic (granulated or powder) plus I use 50/50 milk and water.....to begin I take the flour salt, pepper and garlic and add it to a jar with water or milk to fill the jar 2/3 of the way and shake it up to smooth out the flour prior to pouring into a very warm skillet that still has some grease and the drippings...then you just stir and add water or milk until the gravy is as thick as you like....comes out great.....good luck!

country gent
01-19-2018, 12:10 PM
I add salt pepper butter and also some sage to the ground sausage when browning it. then a teaspoon or so of flour and cook fry until it browns some and add milk to desired thickness. A well seasoned cast iron pan makes a difference also. Over biscuts or hash browns its a very filling breakfast.

popper
01-19-2018, 12:10 PM
She refuses to make it for me, says it's bad for the heart. But when the SIL comes, he gets some. Humm.

Thundarstick
01-19-2018, 12:11 PM
It can't be done with that limp wristed Yankee sausage either! If you want real flavor order you some Broadbent's aged sausage, but I doubt many North of the Ohio, or West of the Mississippi could stomach it!

I learned the basics from my Granny and it only took me 15 years to prefect the subtle techniques! My wife and I don't even agree on what's good gravy and not good gravy! Granny made it with a dark dark roux, I like it this way. I cook the flour until the first whiff of smoke rises from the skillet, then hit it with the milk! That's whole milk to, not blue john or 2% junk! If I'm forced to make it for my wife the roux is a little lighter.

Outpost75
01-19-2018, 12:15 PM
How the roux is made differs depending upon which part of The South you are from.

If you don't have "enough" bacon or sausage grease, I "stretch" the pan drippings with a bit of lard or butter.

You don't want the pan smoking when you add the flour. You want to "brown" and coat the flour, not burn it.

Stir the flour vigorously so that all of the grease and essence from the pan is mixed in, if there are not enough enough drippings to take up all of the flour in the pan, this is when you supplement the pan drippings with a dab of lard or butter.

If using fresh ground pork which has not been seasoned, use only salt, pepper, sage and cayenne if you like it. If you don't have fresh ground cayenne, it's OK to add about a tablespoon of Crystal hot sauce.

In our hunting camp we cook 1 pound of sausage until crumbly, remove from the pan and put it aside, then make the roux with 1/2 cup of flour, 1 teaspoon of salt (if the pork was unsalted) and 1/2 teaspoon each of rubbed sage and fresh ground black pepper. 1 pint of water and one 12oz. can of evaporated milk stirred into the roux to heat and thicken, then put the sausage back in, one diced onion and a fresh serano or jalapeno pepper optional.

We serve ours on cornbread! Only Yankee's and Brits eat "crumpets!"

Substitute hamburger for the sausage and Worcestershire sauce for the Crystal and leave out the fresh peppers and you have S.O.S.

rking22
01-19-2018, 12:32 PM
Ya'll are making me awful hungry.....

backhoe
01-19-2018, 12:47 PM
yep dem mufins gotta go, buttermilk catheads only. yalls er learnin.

mozeppa
01-19-2018, 12:50 PM
the one thing nobody has said....

when you have the grease and the flour browned and you are ready to add the milk...

ADD IT SLOWLY! ....TOO FAST AND IT 'S GLOB CITY!....STIR WHILST ADDING SLOWLY!

koehlerrk
01-19-2018, 02:23 PM
I may have been born a Yankee, but I'm a son of the South at heart!

Someone here mentioned the sausage you start with making a difference. Oh heck yes!

I use half breakfast sausage and half hot sausage, though if it's really hot stuff, you can go two breakfast to one hot. I have used store bought sausage. I get much better results with sausage raised on my parents farm.

The other one is milk. Skim, 1%, 2%, you are wasting your time. Whole milk only, and if you can get "real" milk, aka, raw milk from the farm, like when I visit my parents, so much the better.

Then for the biscuits, that is the secret, good biscuits. Master that skill first, then proceed with the gravy.

Remember, as Grandma said, the meal will only be as good as the ingredients you start with.

Good luck and happy cooking!

trails4u
01-19-2018, 02:29 PM
for a nice twist and to add some richness.....you can cut the roux with beef stock instead of milk, or try a 50/50 ratio of each if you don't like it too 'beefy'. Sacrilege I know......but sure is good. And for me personally....if it doesn't have sage, it's just not right.

Outpost75
01-19-2018, 02:41 PM
When I was in Italy the Alpini Regt. cooks used panchetta, stretched the fat with olive oil, then seasoned with sea salt, garlic, oregano and red pepper, then made the roux with whole milk and served over polenta.

Molto bene!

fcvan
01-19-2018, 03:12 PM
Biscuits and gravy. Yum! Once, we were at the lake for the weekend, Aunt and Uncle, Grandma, Mom and Dad and all us boys. It was getting towards lunch and we were talking about what to fix. My cousin comes into camp with a stringer of fish and a rattlesnake. Grandma said nothing, went over to the Coleman and fired it up. Another cousin started on some scratch biscuits. In no time we had southern fried rattler (fried in the bacon grease from breakfast) biscuits and gravy. Snake skin became a hat band, more fish were caught for supper. Why is it food tastes better when the breeze is blowing through oak trees?

buckwheatpaul
01-19-2018, 03:26 PM
Try grilling the oven cooked biscuits first and then slather with that unhealthy, but good, gravy and enjoy.....just remember what a prominent heart doctor told a friend of mine, who was in the cath lab,.....in the future, if it tastes good spit it out! Not going to happen here but one time per week is ok in my book!

yeahbub
01-19-2018, 03:27 PM
+1 on the pepper, but it should be fresh ground, for certain. My method: Sausage of your favorite seasoning in the desired quantity skillet browned on both sides and done. Remove sausage and stir in enough flour over drippings to make a lumpy/pasty/dry mass, usually 1-2 heaping tablespoons in a 10" skillet. Add a 1/4 cup of milk and stir it smooth over low heat (working out the lumps) until it begins to congeal. Add another splash and do it again and again until it remains creamy, working out the lumps each time. The hotter you want it, the more milk you'll need to keep it creamy (essentially, you're making a white sauce). Since the gravy is full of flour and so are biscuits, I like my gravy on home fries or hash browns and I'll have the biscuits with butter and peach preserves.

And a little humor for dessert: 212205

GhostHawk
01-19-2018, 10:27 PM
Momma and her momma were both New Orleans born, my mamma moved to El Paso at a young age, but she learned from her momma.

I make rouix for a lot of different things.

If I am making scalloped potatoes from scratch I like a light "biscuit" color, a bit darker for mac and cheese, and of course you need some good yellow cheddar cheese in there which changes it some.

For Fricassee Momma used a medium brown to a light milk chocolate color. Depended on what was going in it.

I was taught Gumbo should be dark chocolate, but I have been backsliding. Seems to sit better with me if I quit at a light milk chocolate color.

Most of my gravy's I stay pretty light, but beef I will add more color.

Can't go wrong with Bacon Fat, I never throw any away.

But for many things a nice light canola oil works well and is better for you.

But hey, everyone has to die from something.
Rather go from butter and bacon fat than sheer cussedness.

swamp
01-19-2018, 10:53 PM
When my mother made it(how I learned), she poured off and saved 2-3 tablespoons of the grease. After the gravy was done and in the bowl she mixed in the saved grease. Barely get enough grease to make the gravy now.

MaryB
01-19-2018, 11:03 PM
As mentioned fresh ground black pepper is key, for me it needs a pepper bite!

kens
01-19-2018, 11:57 PM
One of the keys is to use no more flour than necessary. Almost any amount of four & fat will make a roux, but the trick is how much proportions, and for how long to simmer?
If you use too much flour, it will thicken immediately, and too little flour it will need more heat/time to thicken. The more flour you use, the more milk it needs to get the right thickness.
If you have too much flour for your amount of fat, you will need too much milk, and that leads to a plain taste.
A good gravy has the proportions of flour/milk such that it takes about 5 minutes of low heat for it to get thick.

T-Bird
01-20-2018, 11:36 AM
3Tbl flour, 3Tbl fat, will make 2 cups of thinish gravy with your chosen liquid. I use 50/50 milk and chicken stock. The advice to season adequately is essential.If it’s not thick enough, a little more cooking will thicken

6bg6ga
01-20-2018, 01:14 PM
I think the sausage was the key factor. It wasn't spiced very well at the store. Yes, I browned my flour, added salt and pepper a lot of pepper. I also had some sausage bits in there for taste and look.

Blanket
01-20-2018, 02:02 PM
mix some coffee in it for red eye gravy

Beerd
01-20-2018, 02:04 PM
now where did that Cat Head Biscuit recipe go?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?258904-Junior1942-cathead-biscuit-recipe

Xringshooter
01-20-2018, 07:22 PM
Typically when making a roux you use equal parts flour and fat. Stir the flour into the fat and stir until it is the desired color you want. Then add the liquid that you want to thicken (for sausage gravy I like whole milk or even half and half) stir until thicken and then cut the heat back a bit but keep cooking it. If it is not cooked long enough it will not taste right because the flour didn't completely cook and you get that raw flour taste. Add the crumbled sausage, bring it back to bubbling and serve over good scratch made biscuits. Eggs on the side are typical but not required if you've made the biscuits and gravy properly.

Blanket
01-21-2018, 12:40 AM
This thread is already in the toilet. Sausage gravy and biscuits is not that hard

Lloyd Smale
01-21-2018, 06:29 AM
mines pretty easy. First you have to start with good sausage. Not crappy store bought and not sausage made with venison that's to dry. I fry one lb of sausage stir in 1/4 cup flour then slowly add milk till it gets to the thickness I want. Nothing fancy. Biggest trick to the whole deal is what sausage your starting out with. That's where the flavor comes from. Sausage also needs a bit of fat for flavor. If all you have is a leaner venison mixed sauage add bacon grease but I make my sausage out of just pork but and theres no need for added fat. I make it in 5lb batches and freeze small glad containers so I have it on hand all the time. One of my favorite uses for it is my supper made for a king. I take venison steak that's been run through the cuber and chicken fry it. then I slice potatos and onion and fry them in real butter. Then when everything is don't I poor sausage gravy over the whole thing. One of my favorite suppers.

6bg6ga
01-21-2018, 07:08 AM
mines pretty easy. First you have to start with good sausage. Not crappy store bought and not sausage made with venison that's to dry. I fry one lb of sausage stir in 1/4 cup flour then slowly add milk till it gets to the thickness I want. Nothing fancy. Biggest trick to the whole deal is what sausage your starting out with. That's where the flavor comes from. Sausage also needs a bit of fat for flavor. If all you have is a leaner venison mixed sauage add bacon grease but I make my sausage out of just pork but and theres no need for added fat. I make it in 5lb batches and freeze small glad containers so I have it on hand all the time. One of my favorite uses for it is my supper made for a king. I take venison steak that's been run through the cuber and chicken fry it. then I slice potatos and onion and fry them in real butter. Then when everything is don't I poor sausage gravy over the whole thing. One of my favorite suppers.

Got to be my store bought sausage that is the problem maker. I'm good at making gravy. Lloyd, your making me hungry.

Rick N Bama
01-21-2018, 02:41 PM
As others have already said, the English Muffins were most likely your problem. Sausage Gravy calls for Biscuits, the homemade type, not store bought and certainty not canned. The recipe on the bag of White Lily SR Flour makes a decent Biscuit.

Hardcast416taylor
01-21-2018, 02:57 PM
The key item for any attempt at making gravy is copious amounts of Tobasco sauce on it!Robert

texasnative46
01-21-2018, 04:41 PM
6bgt6ga,

Fwiw, the grease tha tyou have previously cooked fried chicken makes BETTER "white gravy". = After you've made the gravy, throw in the cooked/drained sausage.

And YES anything but homemade biscuits under the gravy is an abomination to us Southron boys/gals.

yours, tex

rockrat
01-21-2018, 08:12 PM
I use Owens Hot Sausage. Save all the drippings and add flour to make a roux about as thick as a thick salsa. Brown it and just add the milk. You get chunks of drippings/flour, but work it with a spatula and it will be fine. I usually add pepper, salt and a little bit of powdered hot pepper (I use habanero--those of you with a less cast iron tongue might want cayenne pepper). Stir constantly over a med-low fire, so it won't burn, till the consistency you want. It goes from thin to thick fairly quickly. I usually add a couple of patties of sausage, broken up into smallish pieces, while stirring.

Thundarstick
01-21-2018, 09:28 PM
Some of the things posted in this thread are an absolute abomination! May God have mercy on your soul!

frankenfab
01-21-2018, 09:50 PM
A variable I see here is the type of flour used. I use self-rising. It's a more tedius process, but the end result is, fluffier?

You have to watch it carefully.

I use bacon grease, heat on 5 for a general reference. Add flour, whisk. When flour is cooked, add whole milk, turn heat up to 8. Add dried onion flakes to get them re-hydrating. Add a little salt, fresh ground black pepper, Cavender's. Whisk often, when the baking powder in the flour activates, the gravy gets thick really fast. Turn heat back down to 5. Have gallon of whole milk ready to add slowly if it gets too thick. Whisk, whisk, whisk. When you have the thickness where you want it, turn the heat down to 1 or 2.

Bacon grease gravy forms a skin pretty quickly when it cools. Adding oil or butter will reduce that tendency.

When the baking powder activates, I call that the bloom. On a electric stove, you need to move the skillet off to the side at that point. Add milk and whisk. Repeat.

To finish it after you have your desired thickness, put it back on the heat until it starts steaming or barely bubbling. Garnish with another round of fresh cracked pepper.

The only way to fix gravy that you have over-thinned is to make a little extra roux in a seperate pan, and add it to your gravy.

Aaaannd....

You have to have a whisk, people!

6bg6ga
01-21-2018, 10:21 PM
6bgt6ga,

Fwiw, the grease tha tyou have previously cooked fried chicken makes BETTER "white gravy". = After you've made the gravy, throw in the cooked/drained sausage.

And YES anything but homemade biscuits under the gravy is an abomination to us Southron boys/gals.

yours, tex

Since I'm not from the south I'll keep my English Muffins you can keep your biscuits.

frankenfab
01-21-2018, 10:24 PM
To make sausage gravy, add cooked sausage to above recipe.

frankenfab
01-21-2018, 10:26 PM
English muffins equal sourdough bread. Sometimes I will substitute them for Texas toast with a good steak. Very tasty

rdwarrior
01-21-2018, 11:47 PM
Agree with ThundarStick - you have to be born Suthern. I was born and raised in the midwest, but married a gal from South Carolina - where we live - and she can make sausage gravy - me - not so well , still cant get it right :)

AllanD
01-22-2018, 04:59 PM
The way I make it (the way my mother did it) is
1lb of fresh uncased sausage broken up as it is cooked
1 medium onion chopped finely
1 tablespoon of Bells poultry seasoning
1 can Evaporated milk
Black pepper to taste
1/3cup of general purpose flour

Add the flour last after the sausage is fully cooked. it MAY require some water to thin the gravy depending on how runny you like it. Personally I like it to stay where it is put, but my mother always bitched it was too thick. but I don't want to eat it from a bowl with a spoon like soup.

I like it to stay up on the biscuit not all around it on the plate!

texasnative46
01-22-2018, 05:14 PM
AlloanD,

My late mother often said that I made "mashed potatoes" out of white gravy. = I want mine ON the biscuits.

yours, tex

AllanD
01-22-2018, 05:49 PM
Tex,

We seem to be in agreement against my (Late) Mom's opinion.

The one that wowed her was when I made a version of chipped beef she had not had before
that I had learned in USCG boot camp, not that I was in any way taking part in cooking it, but more a case that I liked their version of SOS from one particular crew in the Galley (the one directly supervised by "Mouse" (The MAA)) and recalled it 20-odd years later and it tasted as good as remembered.

I just had my eyes open during "galley week" in boot camp

It is basically a variation of Sausage gravy, but made with Ground Beef and More onions and a somewhat heavier hand with the pepper grinder. (and as I remember one of the cooks upending a quart Bottle of minced garlic into that big Hobart steam kettle in with all those onions and ground beef.

Texas by God
01-22-2018, 06:03 PM
Bacon grease gravy for me on biscuits. Chicken grease gravy on mashed taters and CFS. Red eye on the taters when ham is present. I have summed me up.

texasnative46
01-22-2018, 06:56 PM
AllanD,

You must be an OF like me to be an SOS fan. - The younger GIs don't even know what it is.
(I was a "recalled guy" during Desert Shield/Storm & one of my "additional duties" was supervising the large "consolidated mess" in the 200-700 building area.)
On the afternoon that I arrived on post, I checked in, picked-up the keys to my nine WWII era buildings & as I was leaving the Reception Center I was "flagged down" by a CW2. - I asked him if I could help him & he responded, "I'm your new mess steward" & he wanted to chat "- - - - with you about tomorrow's meal plans".
(We decided that we would "farm out" our arriving GIs to other mess halls for the next day & "be up & running fullspeed" the 2nd day. = I inquired if we would have SOS, eggs to order & biscuits. - The Chief said, "Sure enough. And waffles, pancakes & omelets, too.")

When "the word" got out on post that we had HOT biscuits & SOS every morning, we suddenly became the post's "Number One mess hall".
(The old Chief had to TEACH the young cooks to makes SOS, as that dish isn't on the Army Master Menu any more.)

Note: As we were a 19-77H Military Police command, our mess hall was open 24/7, as MPs work "weird shifts" & we served breakfast/supper all day/night.

yours, tex

Boaz
01-22-2018, 07:01 PM
I might add pull the pan off the stove 30 sec before you get the thickness where you want it . It will continue to thicken a bit even after you put it into a container .

The Governor
01-22-2018, 09:31 PM
http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/rees-sausage-gravy-0236008

lightman
01-22-2018, 09:31 PM
You'all are making me hungry! Biscuits and Gravy are my Wife's Sunday morning breakfast.

AllanD
01-23-2018, 01:09 AM
I was in USCG-TRACEN cap may between March and May of 1980

So As I'm now 56, I guess I'm edging into "old fart" territory...

For the record I've never considered making Bacon Gravy... Bacon fat is too priceless
to use it up that way.

And priceless for frying eggs, though I have been known to use bacon grease instead of Oil in my cornbread.
I'm actually old enough to remember the "deli sliced dried beef" that used to be the main ingredient for "SOS" before the more recent technique of just browning ground beef to make it but I find the ground beef method easier and less subject to the "iffy" quality of some batches of Dried beef I have bought Deli corned beef round had it sliced slightly thicker and cut the whole stack into postage stamp sized pieces then made an evaporated milk & flour gravy (with Onions of course) and it made SOS that would make my grandmother happy

Blanket
01-23-2018, 08:17 PM
ground beef for SOS is a abomination

6bg6ga
01-23-2018, 08:23 PM
ground beef for SOS is a abomination

Properly made SOS is great. Improperly made its dog food.

MaryB
01-23-2018, 08:43 PM
Grandmother on Mom's side used to make hamburger gravy... 1 pound of burger, gallon of water, and lumps... to this day I can not eat it... The memory of that bad hamburger gravy triggers a gag reflex... and no I did not learn to cook from that Grandma! Dad's mom was the farmhouse chef!

texasnative46
01-23-2018, 11:11 PM
MaryB,

Would you like to have the OFFICIAL 10th Mountain Division recipe for SOS??
(GREAT stuff, imVho)

yours, tex

6bg6ga
01-24-2018, 07:26 AM
Getting rid of the lumps is a simple matter. Simply put flour or flour and corn starch in a pint jar with warm water put the lid on and shake like hell. The lumps will be gone. Simply pour a little of the thickening mixture into your sauce and keep stirring a little at a time. The result will be a lump free gravy.
My wife used to drive me nuts with her gravy to the point where I strained it before putting it into a gravy boat. Naturally straining it irritated her to no end and when I introduced the shake and combine method everything went back to normal. No lumps no more.

AllanD
01-24-2018, 03:14 PM
MaryB,

(GREAT stuff, imVho)

yours, tex

Don't ask, just post it already!

Though I'll tell you just to be truthful, I'm not a cook that works from a recipe except as a starting point.

In point of fact I don't make things like Hamburger helper without reading the instructions and doing something very different.

Like the hamburger helper stroganoff, the instructions call for both milk and water, I use only milk(I've been known to ad Half&Half cream!), plus I add Onions and Minced Garlic, sometimes I even add a couple tablespoons of smoked paprika to convert it to a kind of milky Goulas.

I should note that I have an "unfair" advantage called Talent (inherited) in addition to any kitchen skills (learned) because my Mother was a great cook and some of it rubbed off, but she came from a Family that ran a "Bed & Breakfast" in conjunction with a sort of "Dude Ranch", in thee 1940's and 1950's
(until the horse barn burned down in 1952) and my grandfather was one of those cooks who would mix up pie shells or biscuits in the flour sack, which is something I've never actually never tried.

Outpost75
01-24-2018, 04:28 PM
S.0.S. Recipe - U.S.M.C. Style, from Sgt. Grit Newsletter Dec. 3, 2009

Everyone recalls the famous pre-invasion Marine Corps breakfast of steak and eggs. However, that was not the normal morning meal served aboard transports as they slowly plodded across seas to deliver Old Breed Marines to their next combat venture.

Once in a while a great document of historical importance concerning the Marine Corps comes to light. This is not one of them, but worth printing for those of you who miss the famous, everyday meal commonly called S.O.S. One note of interest, did you know Marines had their own 'special' recipe, which differs from any other branch of service?

S.0.S. Recipe - U.S.M.C. Style 1-1/2 pounds extra lean hamburger or ground chuck
2 tablespoons Butter (Oleo only if none)
1 cup freshly cut chopped onion
2 tablespoons flour
2 teaspoons granulated garlic
4 tablespoons Soy Sauce
1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
2 cups milk
Salt and pepper to taste

Brown meat, add butter and stir. Add onions and cook until they are translucent. Add flour, stir and cook two to three minutes. Add garlic, soy sauce and Worcestershire. Mix thoroughly. Add milk and stir till it thickens. Serve on a shingle (toast}.

It's now time to rush to the grocery store to get any ingredients you don't already have. One must keep this in mind before leaving the house. You either: (1) miss the Corps terribly and should volunteer for fleet duty, (2) have a great desire to do bodily injury to yourself, (3) suffer from dain- bramage or, (4) have neighbors you can't stand and want to invite them to a special dinner. Before doing option #4, suggest you dig a slit trench in the back yard in case of emergency gastric distress imposed upon your guests.

Written (with tongue-in-cheek) by Historian, FMDA

Thundarstick
01-24-2018, 04:38 PM
Ok ok, I'm going to try to save your soul(at the risk of losing mine), but here goes.

Number one. I realize sausage recipes are very regional! We have a large processing plant here that makes sausage for distribution to the whole country. When my uncle worked for them the employees could buy overruns very cheaply so the family got to try out all kinds of regional fair, that ironically was produced there, but couldn't be had in local stores. Try to get Southern sage sausage. Get you some Pioneer brand Country Sausage Gravy Mix, yes, powder in a pouch, I know, I know. Crumble up and fry the sausage til brown, reserve the pan and grease. Make up the gravy according to instructions, except use about a quarter cup more water per pouch. Now pour that into your sausage skillet on simmer and desolve the scrapings and grease into the gravy, add the sausage back into that, and it ain't half bad. Not scratch, but not half bad.

I'll trade you for some smelt and pasties! O, and fall fresh MI apples!:bigsmyl2:

redriverhunter
01-24-2018, 07:07 PM
The not so healthy version. 1 pound of breakfast sausage--1 stick of real butter--whole milk--flour--
Fry the sausage in a pan I use a potato masher because I like my sausage in small bits, once cooked put in the stick of butter under low heat or just turn off. I take about a pint and a half of milk and put it in a jar add (I am guessing) 1/4 to1/3 cup the flour the milk. I take a small whisk with a round hand and run it back and forth (like you were trying to start a fire with a stick) in the jar to mix the flour and milk. you want the milk and flour all mixed up. get the sausage and butter between warm and hot add the milk and stir until desired thickness

MaryB
01-24-2018, 10:03 PM
Nope, can't eat it, it literally would trigger a barf reflex after Grandma Nelson's bad food... just the look of it makes me queasy

MaryB,

(GREAT stuff, imVho)

yours, tex

Nueces
01-25-2018, 12:55 AM
A few times after I got my commission was I able to partake of the SOS in an airman's dining hall. We could eat there when on duty and the O Club was closed. Man, nothing since compares with the hearty breakfast served there. Fresh scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, SOS on a toast, short stack, coffee and OJ. I recall it costing me maybe a little over 2 bucks in the 70s and 80s.

Can any of you worthies provide the recipe for USAF SOS? Those of you who grew up on the Army, Navy or Marine versions understand that I want the home team version, no matter how good y'all think it was in the other services. It'll be like being back in the squadron.

frankenfab
01-26-2018, 09:14 PM
I started putting a little bit of dried minced onion in my gravy after had it that way on a food truck 15 years ago.
The cook was a black lady who made a very mean bowl of sausage gravy with potatoes, biscuits, and eggs.
I put just a good sprinkle on top, right after I put the milk in. A minimal amount.

Lloyd Smale
01-27-2018, 08:26 AM
easier way is to mix the flour in with the meat before you add the liquid.
Getting rid of the lumps is a simple matter. Simply put flour or flour and corn starch in a pint jar with warm water put the lid on and shake like hell. The lumps will be gone. Simply pour a little of the thickening mixture into your sauce and keep stirring a little at a time. The result will be a lump free gravy.
My wife used to drive me nuts with her gravy to the point where I strained it before putting it into a gravy boat. Naturally straining it irritated her to no end and when I introduced the shake and combine method everything went back to normal. No lumps no more.

6bg6ga
01-27-2018, 08:38 AM
easier way is to mix the flour in with the meat before you add the liquid.

I think your making a rou? Don't know how to spell it. I'm so used to doing it my way that its hard to change. The wife does it that way when making SOS and still get lumps. My way=no lumps and I can control the thickness.

rockrat
01-27-2018, 10:20 PM
roux --I think

shooterg
01-27-2018, 10:38 PM
OK on sausage gravy - but I like to make gravy with fatback grease - milk,flour,pepper. And the fatback is tasty on those hot biscuits too - sometimes with fried apples or apple butter. This thread has changed my breakfast plans for tomorrow !

Blanket
01-27-2018, 11:41 PM
Made SOS for supper tonight. stick of butter, 16 oz of dried beef, cooked together, add 1/4 cup of flour, cook a while longer. Stir in 2 cups whole milk, grind in a bunch of black pepper and cook to thicken. Served over toast yum

William Yanda
01-28-2018, 10:01 AM
You're making a North/South thing out of a city/rural thing.

AllanD
01-30-2018, 03:40 AM
You're making a North/South thing out of a city/rural thing.

I think you are right...

Thundarstick
01-30-2018, 07:52 AM
Y'all just need to stick to the bagged powder stuff. :cry:

6bg6ga
01-30-2018, 07:58 AM
Made SOS for supper tonight. stick of butter, 16 oz of dried beef, cooked together, add 1/4 cup of flour, cook a while longer. Stir in 2 cups whole milk, grind in a bunch of black pepper and cook to thicken. Served over toast yum

SOS is hamburger not dried beef.

Dried beef with creamed gravy is another delicacy and should be served with mashed potatoes between two pieces of toast that are cut diagonally.

AllanD
01-30-2018, 04:48 PM
SOS is hamburger not dried beef.

Dried beef with creamed gravy is another delicacy and should be served with mashed potatoes between two pieces of toast that are cut diagonally.

TRADITIONALLY SOS was made with dried beef (ORIGINALLY in the 19th century with reconstituted(Soaked in water overnight) jerky)

ground beef is a modern innovation

fiberoptik
01-31-2018, 12:55 AM
Best on homemade whole wheat bread [emoji506]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fiberoptik
01-31-2018, 12:56 AM
roux --I think

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

condorjohn
02-02-2018, 01:05 PM

Smoke4320
02-02-2018, 01:16 PM
MaryB,

(GREAT stuff, imVho)

yours, tex
its not as bad as Ranger pudding