PDA

View Full Version : Best mid-highend 1911 for single stack?

Dpmsman
01-19-2018, 01:24 AM
I'm looking to buy a new or use 1911 for single stack. Funds are not unlimited so I would like to keep the price tag under 2k. A friend suggested the Colt special combat but I have a couple of Colt 1911s and I'm not all that sold on them. If someone that owns a special combat would like to chime in that would be awesome. Also if you have other suggestions that would be great too. Thanks! :bigsmyl2:

LUCKYDAWG13
01-19-2018, 07:59 AM
I was shooting a friends Les bear a few weeks ago nice pistol but in my Ruger 1911 shot just as good in my hands
just saying https://ruger.com/products/sr1911/specSheets/6708.html

6bg6ga
01-19-2018, 08:07 AM
You've just opened up a can of worms and the result will be 1000 posts on everything from someones Springfield arms to their prized Ruger 1911.

My suggestion. Close the thread. Go to your nearest high end gun shop and look at the high dollar guns in person. Most of the time a shop will have a high end gun that has searved as a method of auditioning the gun in terms of feel and accuracy. Plain english.... shoot the guns in question and judge by feel, accuracy and additional bells and whistles.

GhostHawk
01-19-2018, 08:44 AM
^ What he said, and yes, I'm the guy with the 500$ Springfield Armory who will be back shortly if you don't do what he said.

Plate plinker
01-19-2018, 09:48 AM
I would look at rock river arms. They are back in the 1911 game. Years ago they made good guns.

readr1
01-19-2018, 02:06 PM
Dan Wesson A2.

Dpmsman
01-19-2018, 03:11 PM
My problem is I don’t have access to any of these guns. I have a friend with a Sti DVC classic but it’s out of my price range. The closest place that would possibly have higher end 1911s is 2 hours away. Right now I’m stuck in the house and couldn’t stand being in a car that long. I just had my ACL reconstructed and Meniscus Repaired. I figured you guys wouldn’t lead me astray.

Plate plinker
01-19-2018, 03:53 PM
Forgot about STI they have other models that are cheaper. I would look at those models too.

Dpmsman
01-19-2018, 03:56 PM
How about a Springfield TRP any opinions?

jakharath
01-19-2018, 04:28 PM
Les Baer

tazman
01-19-2018, 06:58 PM
I know how well my Springfield Range Officer shoots. The TRP is basically a Range Officer setup for combat. I wouldn't worry about the TRP being a problem.

rfd
01-19-2018, 07:40 PM
also, consider if series 70 or 80 will be a criteria for ya. it would be for me - always a 70 and never an 80. fwiw, a LEO friend is also seeking a good, high quality, solid 1911 and his research and testing lead him to wilson combat.

M-Tecs
01-19-2018, 07:51 PM
What is the extra money going to get you and what do you need/want? NRA Bullseye, Competition race gun, carry or something else. With 1911's you can spend a lot for very little gain. Well worth the money if you need it but not so much if you are using a Ferrari to take the kids to school in a 30 mph zone.

At one time the Les Baer National Match 1911's were the best value on the market but the prices have gone more inline with the rest of the line.

Artful
01-19-2018, 08:07 PM
Post removed by user

Bigslug
01-19-2018, 09:13 PM
Bang for buck on fit, the Springfield Trophy Match and TRP offer a lot. The Range Officer line started as the same fit level without the finish and a few bells and whistles deleted, though lately, they're adding some pretty slick offerings with that stamp.

osteodoc08
01-20-2018, 12:35 AM
New? Dan Wesson or maybe a TRP

Used? Les Baer (Brown, Wilson, Guncrafter, Nighthawk if you're lucky)

Budget : SA Range Officer

birch
01-20-2018, 01:39 AM
I am not a gun snob--I just love fine guns.

I have owned just about every sub-1500 dollar 1911 on the market. Some of them were fine. Others were OK. Many were *** not worthy of John Browning's toilet leavings.

I can say--without a shadow of a doubt.........Les Baer makes the finest 1911 on the planet. They have a feel all their own, a look all of their own, and most importantly--They Shoot! They shoot like no other!

Some complain of poorly polished machine marks on the inside of the frame and slide. My heavyweight monolith has three very small examples of polishing "tracks". In my opinion, they are proof that a skilled craftsman carefully went over every inch of that gun to make sure it had a world class fit and function that is not matched by any of the semi-custom gun makers. I would go as far as saying that Les Baer guns are "full custom". There is nothing about any production line gun that holds a candle to these guns. Did I mention they shoot?!!!

This is the only 1911 I have ever owned or shot that I can truly say if I miss it is my fault and not the guns fault. There are deals to be had on the used market. I have seen nearly new in box Les Baers in the 1800 dollar range. However, if you have 2000 dollars to spend, I would save up 300 dollars more by picking up pop cans on the side of the road. I would sell a few pints of plazma. I would get two of the 8 chainsaws I have in my garage that don't run--running and lay down 2300 dollars on a Les Baer with target adjustable sights and be done with searching for a good 1911. You will have one. (Also, if you are really lucky, you will find that your slide turns a beautiful plum color in a year or two--Sexy!!)

.....or, if you are wanting a single stack 45 that holds 7 rounds (6+1), goes bang every time, and shoots like a screaming banshee, there is always the Glock 36!!!!!! Ahhhh.....I can almost see the rotten tomatoes wizzing at my face.

falmike
01-20-2018, 09:09 AM
Les Baer TRS or UTC

Love Life
01-20-2018, 09:43 AM
I have two Colt special combat gubmint pistols. They are a decent pistol, but better can be had in the same price range. Accuracy is on par with my Les Baer pistols, but behind my Sam’s custom wad gun.

They’ll do fine for single stack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silver Jack Hammer
01-20-2018, 11:30 AM
All my 1911’s are Colt’s. A wiser 1911 man than I once said to buy a basic foundation and build it the way you want it. Take your time, have each modification done by the expert for that modification. If you already have 1911’s you can part with your building the perfect piece while it’s at the ‘smith. If you buy a finished 1911, that’s what you end up with. The Colt’s Series 70’s are a good foundation gun. The Springfield Mil-Spec is probably a better foundation to start with. No production gun will be of custom quality. Any production gun will come to you as is. You can chose each feature to your taste and when you’re done your 1911 won’t be one of those gone to far models.

Murphy
01-20-2018, 11:30 AM
The 1911, man o' man. Given your criteria above, I would start by looking at the Springfield Armory TRP in a production gun. Stepping up the ladder, I would look to Les Baer, Ed Brown or Wilson Combat.

Good luck on your search,

Murphy

jmort
01-20-2018, 11:41 AM
^^^ This makes sense

lefty o
01-20-2018, 12:15 PM
The 1911, man o' man. Given your criteria above, I would start by looking at the Springfield Armory TRP in a production gun. Stepping up the ladder, I would look to Les Baer, Ed Brown or Wilson Combat.

Good luck on your search,

Murphy

all but one of those are over his stated budget. good choices though.

Plate plinker
01-20-2018, 03:17 PM
Thinking a bit more I agree with Murphy. Maybe the best move is to save a bit more money. The next level is not that much further up the line.

BD
01-20-2018, 04:50 PM
Basically all of todays mid price range 1911s are production guns, and as such the "leading" brands are all pretty much equal. Prices will vary with features in most cases, and they all will suffer from a lack of any hand fitting, or serious test firing, post production. So there is some risk of break in hiccups and typically a need for throating and a simple "fluff and buff" to get to 100% reliability with a variety of ammo types.
They are far better than they used to be, but you still should take a new 1911 apart and give it a close inspection and lube prior to use, then run a couple 100 rounds of hardball through it to confirm reliability, before you bet your life on it.

Loudy13
01-20-2018, 08:35 PM
I have a Kimber Team match and have had years of flawless operation with it. It feeds everything I have loaded for cast and jacketed. Just my 2 cents.

Dpmsman
01-21-2018, 12:19 AM
Well I've decided to go with Les Baer. I found one online new for less then $1800 so I decided to jump on it! It's hard to argue with the 3" at 50' accuracy guaranty. Not to say I'm at that level but at least I know the pistol is. Thanks for all the input! Hopefully it will live up to the hype.

Silver Jack Hammer
01-21-2018, 02:19 AM
I look forward to posts on how you like your Les Baer. Sounds like you got a sweet deal.

6bg6ga
01-21-2018, 06:54 AM
I would have sworn I had a post here yesterday that magically disapeared.

My thoughts and maybe they won't be removed today.

None of the cheap 1911's are worth consideration in my opinion.

My thoughts on 1911's worth looking at would be the older Colt Gold Cup National Match series 70's. The reason is they were hand fit, had good triggers, and they shot very well. Mine would shoot with the Wilsons in competition. I still have one national match 70 series that I would put up against a $3k custom 1911. With the more expensive guns you get better fit, better triggers, and simply better all around feel when you shoot them.

My recommendations would be to look for a used Wilson, or Les Baer. I always see them at gun shows for less than 2K used. My thought for a New off the shelf production gun would be the S&W 1911 out of the custom shop. I have one and its got a great trigger, is hand fit, and its very accurate at least in my hands.

I personally wouldn't and couldn't recommend anything under say $1400 that one could purchase off the shelf. I've owned great Kimbers but the newer ones simply don't have either the accuracy or the great triggers that the older ones did. Currently own several Kimbers and they spend a lot of time on the shelf.

Silver Jack Hammer
01-21-2018, 11:57 AM
As a LEO I carried a Colt’s Series 70 5” blued magnificent .45. It was all lowered, extended, checkered and gone over hand fitted by Wilson. A sore back prompted me to buy a lightweight 5” .45 Colt’s. I didn’t do much to the lightweight but shoot it. Just before I retired I had to shot a bad guy. Ident measured the distance at 82-84 yards. That Colt’s 1911 worked.

Plate plinker
01-21-2018, 11:57 AM
Nice find. Let us know how it works out for you.

osteodoc08
01-21-2018, 12:17 PM
Well I've decided to go with Les Baer. I found one online new for less then $1800 so I decided to jump on it! It's hard to argue with the 3" at 50' accuracy guaranty. Not to say I'm at that level but at least I know the pistol is. Thanks for all the input! Hopefully it will live up to the hype.

You chose wisely imho.

Looking forward to the range report

jrayborn
01-21-2018, 12:36 PM
Yes! Please come back and post range results! Additionally some (me!) may want to know what exactly and where exactly you found. I am looking for the next step up from my Dan Wesson.

I think you made a fantastic choice by the way!

bluelund79
01-21-2018, 01:54 PM
I’d be hard pressed to say anything other than a Les Baer. I love mine, and it will be more than likely the last gun I’d ever sell other than the shotgun my Dad gave me for graduating hunter safety many moons ago. All of my 1911’s are excellent, but my Colt and Springfield can’t hold a candle to it. However, it would be an Orange to tomato comparison.

bluelund79
01-21-2018, 01:56 PM

Awesome choice! What model did you get? Can’t wait to hear the range reports. Keep it wet during the break in period, and get a good bushing wrench.

Dpmsman
01-21-2018, 10:57 PM
Of all places I found it on Gunbroker. A dealer out of Kansas had a Shooting USA model and a Premier 11 for sale. I bought the Premier 11. Both are NIB. I will do a full range report when it comes in.

birch
01-21-2018, 11:10 PM
Oh man--I am excited just hearing about somebody getting a new Les Baer. Congratulations!

As far as the break in period goes.......it helps if you whisper a few sweet nothings to the gun before you try racking the slide for the first time. They are crazy tight and usually require a "break" out of battery with your hand before you can pull the slide back. I have found that it never hurts to tell my LB how beautiful she is.....or how curvy her beaver tail looks.

6bg6ga
01-22-2018, 06:35 AM
Oh man--I am excited just hearing about somebody getting a new Les Baer. Congratulations!

As far as the break in period goes.......it helps if you whisper a few sweet nothings to the gun before you try racking the slide for the first time. They are crazy tight and usually require a "break" out of battery with your hand before you can pull the slide back. I have found that it never hurts to tell my LB how beautiful she is.....or how curvy her beaver tail looks.

I think you need to talk to somebody. how curvy her beaver tail looks .............that just sick, you need help

birch
01-22-2018, 08:14 AM
Yes..........I need a lot of help.........the cure? More Les Baers!!!

6bg6ga
01-22-2018, 08:55 AM
Yes..........I need a lot of help.........the cure? More Les Baers!!!

Its a joke son. Relax

birch
01-22-2018, 12:17 PM
Some people's kids!!

Texas by God
01-22-2018, 01:07 PM
Well I've decided to go with Les Baer. I found one online new for less then $1800 so I decided to jump on it! It's hard to argue with the 3" at 50' accuracy guaranty. Not to say I'm at that level but at least I know the pistol is. Thanks for all the input! Hopefully it will live up to the hype.I think you did good. Just don't use it for a car or carry gun. That's what polyguns are for.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Love Life
01-22-2018, 01:39 PM
I think you did good. Just don't use it for a car or carry gun. That's what polyguns are for.

Why not use it for a carry gun?

lefty o
01-22-2018, 01:45 PM

people are paranoid the police will lock it up for evidence if you use it, but imo if you have to use it, a $2000 pistol is cheap insurance.

Love Life
01-22-2018, 01:51 PM
people are paranoid the police will lock it up for evidence if you use it, but imo if you have to use it, a $2000 pistol is cheap insurance.

My mind is blown.

fivefang
01-22-2018, 02:49 PM
MTecs, thank you !, yes I can shoot ,but would it improve the score over what I get from my .45 Norinco???, Fivefang

Texas by God
01-22-2018, 05:21 PM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkAs stated above. Use a proven gun that works and costs $500 or less in case the police keep it or it gets stolen from your vehicle. Insurance does not cover either one. Sure, you'll get your gun back from the police at their discretion. If you're rich, forget what I said.
Thomas

Dpmsman
01-22-2018, 05:31 PM
Definitely not rich! I like carrying my Glock 19. Or an old military surplus pistol.

Love Life
01-22-2018, 06:29 PM
I carry a Les Baer UTC for ccw, but what you say makes sense.

rfd
01-22-2018, 06:33 PM
i think that unless yer pockets are perpetually deep and jingly, it's totally unnecessary to ccw a $2k handgun.

Love Life
01-22-2018, 06:42 PM
i think that unless yer pockets are perpetually deep and jingly, it's totally unnecessary to ccw a $2k handgun.

Probably not necessary, but it sho’ does feel good and it’s almost as reliable as my Glocks, lol.

lefty o
01-22-2018, 06:44 PM
who cares what it costs. if you feel comfortable with it, and trust it fully. even if it costs $5000, what is your life worth?

rfd
01-22-2018, 06:48 PM
it shouldn't be too hard to find a very reliable, very dependable and worthy ccw for well under $1k, or even well under $700 - that is, unless $2k to $5k is someone's idea of chump change ... wish that was me, but it ain't. lucky someone else.

Love Life
01-22-2018, 06:54 PM
Well, I’ve been known to carry a Colt Gold Cup National Match with Ivory stocks as an el cheapo substitute, lol.

Back to the OP- The thumb safety will probably be sharp edged. A few swipes with the file, some sand paper, and a cold blue pen will take care of it.

Dpmsman
01-22-2018, 08:18 PM
who cares what it costs. if you feel comfortable with it, and trust it fully. even if it costs $5000, what is your life worth?

Don't ask my wife that question! You might give her ideas��

lefty o
01-22-2018, 08:56 PM
Don't ask my wife that question! You might give her ideas��

im not here to argue values. if you feel good carrying an expensive pistol, dont tell the wife LOL . if you feel good with a less costly pistol dont tell her that either as she will want to know where the rest of the money is!

birch
01-22-2018, 09:07 PM
I have no intention of CCW my Les Baer, but I will say that the Les Baer is one of the best looking 1911s with some actual carry wounds and scratches. There is a guy on 1911 forum who has over 130,000 rounds through his premier II. It is still a **** fine looking gun. But.....I can also say that Glock makes a **** fine plastic pistol. I have never had a failure to feed that was not my fault (OAL too long on hand load 40 cal truncated lead) on any of the Glocks I have owned.

6bg6ga
01-23-2018, 07:36 AM

Some good points made already. The cost is a small factor when it comes to your life. The only problem I can see is if you happen to drop the expensive gun on rough concrete and mar it up. If that happens your going to feel bad.

Personal opinion here... I don't believe your high dollar Les Baer's increased accuracy potential is going to help you if your dealing with the split second decision to use your weapon in response to a threat. After all are you going to ask them to please stand still so you can make a nicer three shot group or a nice tight double tap?

One also needs to remember that IF you use your weapon in response to a threat you probably won't see it again for close to a year after law enforcement take it.

6bg6ga
01-23-2018, 07:40 AM
I have no intention of CCW my Les Baer, but I will say that the Les Baer is one of the best looking 1911s with some actual carry wounds and scratches. There is a guy on 1911 forum who has over 130,000 rounds through his premier II. It is still a **** fine looking gun. But.....I can also say that Glock makes a **** fine plastic pistol. I have never had a failure to feed that was not my fault (OAL too long on hand load 40 cal truncated lead) on any of the Glocks I have owned.

I realize you sent me a PM telling me I couldn't post on anything you posted on so here goes..:kidding: I'm curious if your using hand loads in your carry weapons.

Love Life
01-23-2018, 09:57 AM
Y’all crack me up.

If the gun gets marred up, I don’t care. It’s a tool, lol.

ikarus1
01-23-2018, 11:04 AM
My problem is I don’t have access to any of these guns. I have a friend with a Sti DVC classic but it’s out of my price range. The closest place that would possibly have higher end 1911s is 2 hours away. Right now I’m stuck in the house and couldn’t stand being in a car that long. I just had my ACL reconstructed and Meniscus Repaired. I figured you guys wouldn’t lead me astray.

Uh. Order directly to your FFL. Most of my LGS's around here have a "website" which links back to Gallery of Guns, and they don't charge the FFL fee if I order from "them".

LUBEDUDE
01-23-2018, 01:40 PM
When I was much younger and ignorant I never bought into accurizing 1911’s. I thought that nothing on earth in my hands could outshoot my Colt Gold Cup.

Then I shot a Wilson Combat. Boy was I ever wrong! Now I have 2 Wilson’s and a Les Baer among a plethora of the other common brands. For me, the closest thing to those high end pistols are my STI’s at half the price. My Sig 1911 would be a close second at less than $1000.

birch
01-23-2018, 01:48 PM
Yup==Me as well. I was always a Colt hoarder. I still love Colt, but the custom gun makers really do create works of art. One of my goals--to have one 1911 from the big 4: Les Baer, Wilson Combat, Brown, and Nighthawk. I also want to have one each of the three generations of Colt SAA. Those are the only guns that I care to have more than one in my collection.

I guess I could own a Guncrafter as well. Oh man--life is too short and money too tight!!!