PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 5" 44 Special half lug GP100

376Steyr
01-19-2018, 12:07 AM
Lipsey's had a run of these made. http://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=RUGP4451 I manfully resisted temptation for almost a full day before I ordered one. My LGS charged me $650, before state tax. Here's what I can tell you about mine:
Cylinder throats will all take a 0.431 pin gauge, none will take a 0.432 gauge.
With my set of cheap feeler gauges, Barrel-cylinder gap is more than 0.002", less than 0.0035", call it 0.003".
I can't feel any thread choke with a tight patch on a cleaning rod.
The smooth wood stocks are nice looking, but they sure are slippery.
You can see a little daylight between the front sight and the barrel, but it's not an obnoxious amount.
I had a couple of hours of daylight left when I was done measuring, so I headed to the local shooting spot and set up some paper plates at 25 yards. I had two batches of "Skeeter" loads, with the RCBS 44-250-Keith (262 grains in my alloy) sized .430 over some stout charges of Universal Clays and Unique. Yeah, I know they should be sized .432 for this Ruger, but that was what I had loaded and sitting on the shelf.
First shots hit a foot and a half high. Uh-oh. Cranked the rear sight all the way down, and the Skeeter loads still hit 4" above point of aim for me. Did I mention the stocks were slippery? Turned out they don't fit my hand too well, either.
After 50 rounds or so I had a touch of leading close to the forcing cone, about what I expect from bullets cast a little hard and a touch undersized.
Here's the part where I get to tell a tall tale about the accuracy of the Ruger, either good or bad. Sorry, between the slippery stocks and my lack of practice I can only tell you it seems to be more than adequate, but promising groups were always marred by me yanking the trigger when the gun was pointed someplace other than it should have been.
I sent an email off to Ruger, asking about getting a taller front sight. They sent me a service tag number for a new rear sight blade. We'll see how that works out.
I ordered a set of Pachmayr "Diamond Pro" rubber grips online. They arrived and I put them on tonight. They're a version of the Pachmayr "Grippers" I have on all my other revolvers. Maybe they'll be enough to pull the point of impact down where I want it.
Right now, I'm real happy to have another .44 Special in the stable. I'm hoping with a little more work I'll be extra happy about this one.

Dpmsman
01-19-2018, 01:01 AM
Thanks for the write up. They are also offering the same configuration in 327 federal. I definitely like the looks of the half lug barrel over the full lug. I might have to sell my 3" gp 44spl to buy this one. Hats off to Ruger and Lipsey's for making what there customers want. I just wish S&W would follow suit.

Pistolero49
01-19-2018, 01:11 AM
That blued half lug .44 Special is a definitely a good looking gun.

Warhawk
01-19-2018, 01:45 AM
On mine, all the throats will accept a .430 pin gauge, none will accept a .431, using a minus set of pin gauges. I have not slugged the barrel yet, need to get some dowel rod for that.

Did you measure the diameter of the barrel shank? My calipers are too big to get there good, but mine measures pretty close to .535 that’s not much meat around a .429 Bore.

Paul105
01-19-2018, 10:04 AM
Don't know why manufacturers can't get the sights right on new guns. Almost every gn I've bought in the last 3 or 4 years shoot high for me -- this incules adjustable sights with the rear bottomed out.

Warhawk -- When I first got my M69, I measured the bbl shank on both the M69 and a 629

M69 .620"
M629 .630"

Never measured the 696 (Orig L Frame S&W .44 special), but the barrel shank was very thin.

Paul

oldhenry
01-19-2018, 11:20 AM
I very nice looking revolver.
I have the 3" SS & the 5" full lug blue now. I'll resist adding this one.........for a while.
SS is nice, but the blue finish is my favorite.
Henry

Char-Gar
01-19-2018, 11:21 AM
Don't know why manufacturers can't get the sights right on new guns. Almost every gn I've bought in the last 3 or 4 years shoot high for me -- this incules adjustable sights with the rear bottomed out.

Warhawk -- When I first got my M69, I measured the bbl shank on both the M69 and a 629

M69 .620"
M629 .630"

Never measured the 696 (Orig L Frame S&W .44 special), but the barrel shank was very thin.

Paul

It is all the rage now to use heavier than nominal weight bullets, thus the higher front sight. If the sight was the correct height for 240 - 260 grain bullets the heavy bullet users would complain. As it, it is easier to make a tall sight shorter than a short sight taller.

There is an easy fix as Ruger makes a taller rear sight blade (white outline) for the Redhawk. This blade will interchange with all other Ruger sights. Install one of these and you are good to go with nominal weight bullets.

Paul105
01-19-2018, 11:54 AM
Unfortunately, for me anyway, they all shoot high with factory sights (therefore need a higher front sight or lower rear ) -- even higher for heavier bullets.

Here's a target I shot with my 4 1/4" S&W M69. Rested at 25 yds with rear sight bottomed out. Aim point same for all loads (center diamond). Only shot two of each load to minimize recoil induced fatigue and target clutter. Interesting to note lateral dispersion of various loads in addition to vertical impact with different bullet weights.

https://photos.imageevent.com/paul105/hobby/large/Target%20M69%204.25%20Various%20Loads%20POI%2025%2 0yds.jpg

S&W fixed this with a lower rear blade on later M69s.

Recent Ruger and Colt firearms also shoot high for me (even with adj sights bottomed out).

I know the problem is fixable, but it's a bit of a pain, and in my opinion shouldn't be necessary.

Sorry for high jack.

FWIW

Paul

rking22
01-19-2018, 12:11 PM
Last new GP100 I bought in mid 80s, but it came with a selection of different front sight blades. That was the point of the easy interchange push button thingy. Has Ruger gone back to pinned blades, or no assortment of fronts? Would seem the easiest would be to include a blade with enough meat to file for what ever bullet was desired. Anyway, could be a nice nitch market for someone with a CNC mill.....if they are still interchangable.

Three-Fifty-Seven
01-19-2018, 07:32 PM

rking22
01-19-2018, 09:05 PM
Interesting, I always thought that was a nice feature and kind of a "trait" of the GP100s. Oh well, looks like a nice revolver, I'd be in crept for mt 41special version :)

376Steyr
01-20-2018, 01:49 AM
I got the same throat measurements on mine, using a minus set of pin gauges. I have not slugged the barrel yet, need to get some dowel rod for that.

Did you measure the diameter of the barrel shank? My calipers are too big to get there good, but mine measures pretty close to .535 that’s not much meat around a .429 Bore.
Well now. I got my micrometer out and measured the following barrel shank diameters:
GP100: 0.513"
S&W 696: 0.523"
S&W 629: 0.621"
Before we all panic and throw ourselves into traffic over shank diameters, I have another set of numbers, this one for the length of unsupported barrel shank sticking out of the frame:
GP100: 0.050"
S&W 696: 0.120"
S&W 629: 0.107"
What does this tell us? I can unequivocally state I'd rather shoot 44 Magnum loads in the 629 than the other two. As far as "Skeeter" level loads (250 SWC over 7.5 Unique for 900 fps) go, I'm going to keep running them through the GP100. As far as "Keith" loads (250 SWC at 1200 fps) go, I have a .44 Magnum for that kind of duty.

Cosmic_Charlie
01-20-2018, 07:59 PM
Was close to hitting on one of those but went for 5.5" flattop bisley.

Warhawk
01-20-2018, 11:47 PM
Well now. I got my micrometer out and measured the following barrel shank diameters:
Before we all panic and throw ourselves into traffic over shank diameters, I have another set of numbers, this one for the length of unsupported barrel shank sticking out of the frame:
What does this tell us? I can unequivocally state I'd rather shoot 44 Magnum loads in the 629 than the other two. As far as "Skeeter" level loads (250 SWC over 7.5 Unique for 900 fps) go, I'm going to keep running them through the GP100. As far as "Keith" loads (250 SWC at 1200 fps) go, I have a .44 Magnum for that kind of duty.

Exactly my thoughts, as far as what to use in each Gun. I used to have a 696, but always worried about that super thing barrel shank and when I got a ridiculous offer for it, I sold it.

I bought 500 poly coated Badman bullets, the are a 200 gr RNFP. I’m hoping I can find a 900-1000 FPS load with them that the GP shoots well.

I’ve also sort of duplicated the old 38 Spl FBI load for the 44 Special. I use a 240 gr swaged SWCHP at about 850 FPS. This is one That shoots well in my little Rossi 720 with mild recoil.

Tracy
01-23-2018, 02:51 PM

Taurus Tracker .44 Magnum shank diameter: 0.543" and stickout: 0.050"

bpatterson84
01-23-2018, 03:58 PM
I sure like the esthetics of this gun, I might need one someday. Really looking forward to seeing some more experiences with them, I hope they get sight regulation figured out. I suspect they want to trade out the rear because they have more of those laying around than the gold(or brass) dot front sight.

marek313
02-08-2018, 04:53 PM
When I was looking at GP100s I didnt like those full lugs neither. I really wanted 6" half lug GP100 Match Champion but they dont make those, only in 5" I think. I shot my friends 6" S&W with full lug and i think it was a bit front heavy. I still like my GP100 MC though even with this short 4.2" barrel. My first and so far only wheel gun. I'm starting to get this itch to pick up another wheel gun though in a larger bore like 44mag, 454 or 460 S&Ws are nice.

falmike
02-08-2018, 08:14 PM
I’ve noticed lately that quite a few guns are coming out with stock sights set up for 6 O'clock hold which will obviously shoot “high” if you were not aware of the factory’s intent. Maybe that is what is going on here?

str8wal
02-08-2018, 09:34 PM
I’ve noticed lately that quite a few guns are coming out with stock sights set up for 6 O'clock hold which will obviously shoot “high” if you were not aware of the factory’s intent. Maybe that is what is going on here?

Not sure if the factory's intent is for a 6 o'clock hold. A 6 o'clock hold is only applicable for a certain size bullseye at a specific distance. This doesn't make sense for a gun that is more likely for hunting or self defense at random distances on a variety of targets. The rear sights have plenty of upward adjustment so it wouldn't hurt to add a few thou's to the front sights to make them more versatile. Ruger really needs to address this situation.

jban
02-10-2018, 07:57 AM
Sounds like Ruger set the sights for 44 special (200 gr bullet moving at around 750 to 800 fps.) Since the flattops came out, everyone thinks the Skeeter load is the norm. Maybe they don't want heavy loads banging into the forcing cone. The local gun store I go to, had to send 2 back with forcing cone issues. Not sure what the issues were. He knows I want one, but am on the fence about the forcing cone. I would too think the Skeeter load is what it would get fed. He tells me to get the flattop.

wildwilly501
02-10-2018, 08:24 AM
Mine went back 50 rds. Nosler 200 gr 8 gr unique.Cracked forcing cone.Mine seemed to shoot high.Didn't get to shoot enough to really see.

Livin_cincy
02-10-2018, 09:53 AM
I am wondering if the weight on the end of the barrel of the Full Lug lowered POI ?

376Steyr
02-10-2018, 04:25 PM
Update on hitting above point of aim: I sent in a customer service email to Ruger. The good news is they answered promptly and quickly had a replacement rear sight blade, at no charge, on the way to me. The bad new is the replacement blade they sent is 0.03" taller than the blade that came on the gun, which will make the problem worse. :roll: I sent another email, saying the right way to fix this is with a taller front sight blade. I'm sure somebody will suggest filing on the rear sight, but there isn't a whole lot of metal there to file on. I could wind up with a beautiful view of the back of the rear sight assembly before I finished cutting on it. We'll see what happens.

376Steyr
03-16-2018, 09:41 PM
Update: My Lipsey 5" went back to Ruger, and to my surprise came back with a new barrel, cylinder, pawl, and cylinder latch. New cylinder has uniform .431 throats, so I can't complain about that. The front sight on this new barrel fits tight to the rib, with no unsightly gap showing. The old one wasn't bad, this is a lot better.
Included in the case was a copy of a test target, showing "246 Remington" hitting to point of aim at 15 yards. When the gun left, the distance from the bottom of the barrel to the top of the front sight was 1.21". Now it's 1.20".
Weather permitting, I'll shoot some Skeeter loads through it tomorrow. We'll see what happens.

AlanF
07-21-2018, 06:06 AM
How are these guns doing? Did you get your issued resolved? Getting the accuracy you expected? I am just about to buy one.

rking22
07-21-2018, 04:44 PM
I just bought one, may have resisted if I had not had it in my hand! Mine measures out well, dims are on other thread but very good bc gap and virtually no end play. Throats are consistent and .431ish from memory. Now, I dont know what they zero with, but mine was 6 inches high with semester load, pretty much all I load in 44special. Sight all the way down is still couple inches hi at 25, but accurate as I am now. My current loads are a bit small for it. Going to bump up my sizing and see how the 696 likes them. Hope that works out. I may try to do a side by side with this gun and my Clements 41 GP100.
Mine now wears the grips from my 85 gp100, the wood is pretty but hits my thumb knockle. Grab the gun, they feel VERY good and shoot well. Sights are a minor issue, I have a 235 gr I'm going to try....

376Steyr
07-22-2018, 10:39 PM
How are these guns doing? Did you get your issued resolved? Getting the accuracy you expected? I am just about to buy one.

I got mine back from Ruger, see above, then it got buried in the safe by other projects. Thanks for the reminder, I can't believe four months went by so fast.

Dug out the Ruger, grabbed some ammo and went to the local shooting spot. Found I had grabbed a very stout Skeeter load, with a 262 grain SWC over more Universal Clays than I wanted to use. I shot them anyway. Accuracy is better than with the original barrel, which was fine to begin with, but the darn thing still hits 6 inches high at 25 yards.

I have a bunch of 429215, which are 230 grains with my alloy, already cast. I'll try them over a charge of Unique and see what happens.

AlanF
07-25-2018, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the replies. I have purchased one but won’t be able to pick it up until September. We are in the midst of moving to a new duty station in WI.

BABore
07-26-2018, 05:29 AM
I posted this on the Ruger forum a while back:

I picked up a Lipsey's 1770 a few weeks ago and began load development. Being a bullet caster, I measured all of the critical features and checked for any barrel constrictions. It was all good with uniform 0.4312 cylinder throats and a 0.004" cylinder gap. I worked up loads with Unique and Power Pistol in 1/2 grain increments using my 429421 HP bullet at 240 grains. I kept all of these loads at or below the SAAMI 15.5 kpsi limit for the time being. All was good until I saw that the first shot at 25 yards was about 10" high.

When I went to turn down the rear sight, I found that it was only 3 clicks from bottoming out. Bottomed out it was still hitting 6 inches high. I went through my 80 rounds of test loads and found a few good accuracy points. I checked the barrel during several breaks for any leading and found a nice shiny bore. That evening I looked through the Brownells catalog, Novak web site, and several others without much luck. Last Monday I came here and dug back about 4-5 pages back and saw that there were others with the same issue. I also saw that there was very limited resolution from Ruger or other sights. So, I began the process and called Novak first as it is their 0.265 high front sight. They said that it indeed was theirs, but the rear sight was Ruger's so I should call them. I did look on Novak's web site again and they do offer a 0.300 front. I knew it wasn't high enough, so I didn't bother. A call to Ruger was a waste of time. The rear sight is common to several of their different platforms, but they don't offer a shorter rear blade. When I explained all of the above, they wanted me to send the gun back for evaluation stating that it could be the crown was bad. Even after I told them that I had shot several 5 shot groups around 1 inch. I declined and moved on.

Last Tuesday I returned to a website that I had found a sight height calculator on, Dawson Precision out of Texas. I re-ran the numbers and gave the distance I was shooting high as 12 inches. I was only 6" high, but the rear was bottomed out already. The calculator said I needed a front sight 0.352" high. Dawson does offer sights for the GP100, but they aren't any higher than mine. After poking around there a bit, I saw that they do offer front sights for Novak dovetail cuts. While they appeared to be more for 1911's they looked liked they may work. They did not list the dovetail height which was important as there is a 0.060" and 0.075" dovetail versions. They off a standard black serrated ramp, fiber optic, and night sights in a big list of increments well over what I required. I wrote down the part #'s for a 0.340 tall fiber optic and a 0.330 black and gave them a call.

I explained the whole situation and they ran the numbers again, matching what I had. Their Novak cut sights offered are all 0.075" version which I found out was the standard Novak cut, 0.330" wide x 0.075" deep, 65 degrees. Dawson agreed on my sight choices and suggested that I order them on-line as I would get free shipping. I received the two sights on Saturday and got the black ramp (SKU #050-935-00) installed right away. The factory sight did come out hard. The sight needs to be removed from to the left to the right if your looking from the rear or normal shooting position. As I was planning some more test loads for yesterday, I put all of the tools in my range box along with the fiber optic sight (SKU #050-532-00).

My sight height choice worked out near perfect. I tried both 200 and 240 grain loads and I had plenty of adjustment range. Hope this all helps out the next Ruger sight victim.

rking22
07-26-2018, 10:36 AM
Babore, many thanks for posting your research and results! Saves us all from going thru the same exercise. I am going to double check my dims and poi to order mine. I think I am going to get the .115 wide as I like/need more light around my front sight. Link below gets you there.
https://dawsonprecision.com/novak-cut-black-front-sights/

376Steyr
07-26-2018, 09:04 PM
BABore, thanks for posting that info, I ordered my replacement sights from Dawson's today. One more little data point on the Ruger service, when my 5" was returned, they included a COPY of a target that showed "Remington 246" hitting dead on at 15 yards. When I got it back, the revolver had its rear sight screwed all the way down, just the way I'd shipped it, which means any heavier load was going to hit high. A suspicious fellow would almost think they'd run a bunch of copies of one good target, and were carefully putting one in the box with each .44 Special they worked on...

AlanF
07-30-2018, 01:04 PM
Thanks for sharing what you have learned. Let us know how the new sights look on this gun. One of the things I liked about this revolver was the brass bead front sight.

JoeJames
07-30-2018, 05:11 PM
Thanks for sharing the information. I have had the Lipseys full underlug in 44 Special for a few months. I reckon I am old school, but I do not like the fiber optic front sight. I don't have any problem with the height of the front sight; it shoots to point of aim, no problem there, but I just prefer a regular old fashioned black patridge sight. I have looked all over for one with no luck until now.

rking22
07-30-2018, 06:22 PM
http://i63.tinypic.com/f20qol.jpg
Top one is from Dave Clements, was looking for one like it for the 44 then realized it had the wrong dovetail. The one posted above will be here shortly, dont care for glow worms either. The one on the stainless is one I cut on an EDM when I had access, all have orange paint on the face.

JoeJames
07-31-2018, 09:31 AM
http://i63.tinypic.com/f20qol.jpg
Top one is from Dave Clements, was looking for one like it for the 44 then realized it had the wrong dovetail. The one posted above will be here shortly, dont care for glow worms either. The one on the stainless is one I cut on an EDM when I had access, all have orange paint on the face.All I can say is wow! The front sight on the stainless is exactly what I want. Excellent job! I was thinking I was fighting against the modern tide of glow worms, and I was the only shooter left who liked a plain old patridge sight.

35 Whelen
08-04-2018, 06:37 AM
This thread reminded me....

When I first got my Ruger Flat Top Blackhawk .44 Special several years ago, it too shot just a little too high with the rear sight bottomed out. I didn't want to bother with replacing the front sight, so I went the other direction. I removed the rear sight, took the elevation screw out and laid the sight on my belt sander letting it lightly ride on the sandpaper while the sander ran. I don't remember how much metal I removed, (I probably posted it here somewhere) but it wasn't much and it did the trick.

Maybe this will help one of you.

35W

Warhawk
08-04-2018, 07:52 PM
Babore, many thanks for posting your research and results! Saves us all from going thru the same exercise. I am going to double check my dims and poi to order mine. I think I am going to get the .115 wide as I like/need more light around my front sight. Link below gets you there.
https://dawsonprecision.com/novak-cut-black-front-sights/

I have a 5inch half lug 44 special myself. I went to the Dawson website and am coming up with different part numbers???

I really like a 1/10th wide front sight. They have one that’s .315 tall by .100 wide. Part number 020-612. If this sight will fit my GP100 I’m going to give it a try.

EDIT: never mind, a little more digging and I found the part numbers that BABore mentioned. I’ve ordered the .315 tall .100 wide sight. Hopefully that will be enough taller get to it zeroed. I’m not going to miss that little gold bead either.

Livin_cincy
08-05-2018, 07:10 PM
... I just shim the target if the sights are off ...

rking22
08-05-2018, 09:49 PM
Squirrel keeps moving off the shim.....

AlanF
08-14-2018, 04:23 PM
Any updates on how the new sights are working out for you guys?

JoeJames
08-14-2018, 05:07 PM
This thread reminded me....

When I first got my Ruger Flat Top Blackhawk .44 Special several years ago, it too shot just a little too high with the rear sight bottomed out. I didn't want to bother with replacing the front sight, so I went the other direction. I removed the rear sight, took the elevation screw out and laid the sight on my belt sander letting it lightly ride on the sandpaper while the sander ran. I don't remember how much metal I removed, (I probably posted it here somewhere) but it wasn't much and it did the trick.

Maybe this will help one of you.

35WThis thread also reminds me. I got a Ruger Blackhawk in 44 Special about 4 years ago. I first loaded a few .430 240 grain SWC's over around 6.1 grains of Unique. At 25 yards it was just barely touching the top of the target, and I could not crank the rear sight down far enough. I figured "dwell time", and kept increasing my load to 6.8 grains of Unique. There it was hitting point of aim at 25 yards and the groups had appreciably tightened up. It is still a comfortable load to shoot and very accurate. It is running an average of @890 fps, and good enough for me.

Thumbcocker
08-15-2018, 02:21 PM
I have the 3" version with the fiber optic. Couldn't find a replacement front sight. Marks a lot marker lives in my range bag. Instant black front sight.

Jtarm
08-19-2018, 08:33 PM
Nice looking revolver, except the un-fluted cylinder. It resembles the blued Redhawk.

The grips look a lot better than the Match Champion, which almost point in to the ground.

Now we need one in 10mm.

megasupermagnum
08-19-2018, 11:04 PM
Nice looking revolver, except the un-fluted cylinder. It resembles the blued Redhawk.

The grips look a lot better than the Match Champion, which almost point in to the ground.

Now we need one in 10mm.

No we don't, we need a 41 mag.:Fire:

osteodoc08
08-21-2018, 12:00 PM
A 41 mag factory GP100 would be the bees knees for me for sure. Sign me up!

Texas by God
08-21-2018, 01:18 PM
A 41 mag factory GP100 would be the bees knees for me for sure. Sign me up!Now we're talking. It's a .41 sized gun already.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Ickisrulz
08-21-2018, 05:56 PM
I think there are a lot of people that would like to see a GP100 in 41 mag. Send Ruger a message letting them know what you want.

Livin_cincy
08-22-2018, 08:25 AM
I would like a (5) shot GP100 in 45 ACP. It would be a target/ range gun.

It seems very doable since 44 Special and 45 ACP are similar in pressure etc.
Charter arms has a Moon Clip free 45 ACP technology that would be nice to see in the gun as well.
Ruger can buy the technology from them and legally use it.

osteodoc08
08-22-2018, 08:51 AM
I would like a (5) shot GP100 in 45 ACP. It would be a target/ range gun.

It seems very doable since 44 Special and 45 ACP are similar in pressure etc.
Charter arms has a Moon Clip free 45 ACP technology that would be nice to see in the gun as well.
Ruger can buy the technology from them and legally use it.

Perhaps this will light your fire then.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-625-jm

Livin_cincy
08-22-2018, 10:09 AM
Perhaps this will light your fire then.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-625-jm

I would if they made a 5" version.

megasupermagnum
08-22-2018, 12:01 PM
I think there are a lot of people that would like to see a GP100 in 41 mag. Send Ruger a message letting them know what you want.

I just wrote both Ruger and Lipsey's a message.

Petrol & Powder
08-23-2018, 07:16 AM
I'm just glad Ruger finally made a GP-100 chambered in 44 Special.

I haven't picked one up yet but it's on my list. The 44 Special in the "Skeeter Load" territory is a great cartridge and the GP-100 is about the right size of gun for that combination. The strength is there and the gun isn't super large. The market for DA 44 Special revolvers had settled into the stratosphere in terms of price and I'm hoping the 44 Special GP-100's will help bring that back down to more normal levels.

In a perfect world........Ruger would make a stainless GP-100 chambered in 44 Special that had a half lug 4" barrel and fixed sights. (OK, that's my little corner of that perfect world).

Jtarm
08-23-2018, 03:38 PM
No we don't, we need a 41 mag.:Fire:

I’ll give you that, since we have a 4” 10mm now. Though a 10mm magnum would be awesome.

I’ve said for DECADES the GP100 and probably S&W 686 could be built in .41 mag or 10mm.

Thanks to Ruger for FINALLY listening.

flint45
08-23-2018, 07:20 PM
I like those grips a lot.

TRM
08-23-2018, 07:47 PM
Can no one stay on topic

osteodoc08
08-28-2018, 09:09 AM
Can no one stay on topic

Conversations naturally drift back and forth. I've enjoyed this thread. I would like to think other members have as well.

JoeJames
08-28-2018, 09:32 AM
I have the 3" version with the fiber optic. Couldn't find a replacement front sight. Marks a lot marker lives in my range bag. Instant black front sight.Great idea; I hate the glow worm front sight. It is distracting.

AlanF
09-13-2018, 01:13 PM
Any updates on how the after-market sights are working out on these GP100 44 Specials?

dougader
09-14-2018, 08:04 PM
Mine went back 50 rds. Nosler 200 gr 8 gr unique.Cracked forcing cone.Mine seemed to shoot high.Didn't get to shoot enough to really see.

I'd like to hear more about this one. How heavy were your loads to have a cracked forcing cone so early on?

megasupermagnum
09-14-2018, 08:59 PM
I'd like to hear more about this one. How heavy were your loads to have a cracked forcing cone so early on?

I hope that wasn't a 357 mag...

Do the 357 mag versions shoot high too? I own the 327 federal version, and I've tried from 100-150 grain bullets, and there is plenty of adjustment for this caliber. It's really dumb they didn't use the quick change sights like every other GP100.

One Gun Andy
09-16-2018, 05:07 PM
I have the 5" full Lug GP100, but really like the looks of the Half Lug, and the Bisley Flat Top is kind of the best-of-show single action IMO.

376Steyr
09-16-2018, 11:35 PM
Any updates on how the after-market sights are working out on these GP100 44 Specials?

I ordered two Dawson Precision replacement front sights. They arrived quite quickly. I decided to try the .340" tall, .125 inch wide version first. I used the supplied aluminum punch to drive the old sight out, going from left to right as viewed from the rear. Knocking the old sight out chewed up the tip of the aluminum punch quite a bit. I put the Dawson sight in the dovetail and tapped it most of the way in with a sturdy brass punch, then finished up with the Dawson punch. I centered it on the barrel by eye only, trying to get an equal amount of dovetail cut showing on each side of the sight. I didn't have to file on the sight at all. When I got done I held the finished assembly up to a strong light, and had only a couple of pinpoints of light showing tiny gaps between barrel and sight, all in all, a most satisfactory installation.
I hauled the Ruger to the local shooting spot, set up a paper plate at 25 yards, and shot my heavy Skeeter load with the rear sight screwed all the way down. Point of impact had changed from 6" high to 4" low. I cranked up the rear sight and soon was soon hitting to point of aim at 25 yards, with lots of travel remaining. I'm happy now.
I used product number 050-532-00, which is a fiber optic version. In full sunlight, that red dot is bright! I can see how it would be distracting for pure paper punching; I want to see how it performs on game and plinking targets before I make up my mind about it.
https://dawsonprecision.com/novak-cut-fiber-optic-front-sights/

AlanF
09-18-2018, 08:10 PM
Thank you 376Steyr. That is exactly the info I was looking for.

Fernando
10-16-2018, 07:25 PM
Now I just need to find one - half lug
Anyone know if they plan to run more?

AlanF
10-17-2018, 11:17 AM
Ordered mine back in July just before transferring from Pearl Harbor to WI. In the midst of getting moved into a home so it has not been on my priority list. Got it picked up about 3 weeks ago and recently received my pin gauges to check cylinder throats. All throats measured at .231. My sample is very well put together and I look forward to getting some rounds loaded and heading to the range. The only difficulty I have had is in getting the trigger guard to release. I could not get it done despite being able to depress the locking pin. Will give it another go. Wish the fellow still offered the "Ruger Popper" take down tool. Need to see if I can find a picture to help in making my own. Anyway I recommend you keep an eye on Gunbroker and hope for the best.

rking22
10-17-2018, 04:38 PM
AlanF, did you have trouble getting the hammer pivot pin out? The one on mine won't budge. My other 2 GPs, you can push it out with a finger! Gotta make a nylon punch I guess. I need to pull the cyl to pin gage it, cant bring the whole thing to work!
These things are nice, anyone half interested should grab one up!

AlanF
10-17-2018, 06:50 PM
rking22, I had to use a brass punch and lightly tap it out. Hopefully things will loosen up a little once I have shot it a bit.

AnthonyB
10-17-2018, 06:53 PM
My five inch full lug has the same pivot pin problem. I have not yet worked up the nerve to use a brass punch yet. The three in stainless pin comes out with a push from a finger.
Tony

rking22
10-17-2018, 07:22 PM
Well thanks for the confirmation, guess they tightened the tolerances! That should have been purple font:groner:

megasupermagnum
10-17-2018, 07:58 PM
Mine pulls out normally. It's a good tight fit, but I don't need a punch to get mine out. Maybe try pulling the trigger a little to take some tension off the hammer?

AlanF
10-24-2018, 09:55 AM
Ordered a new front sight from Dawson Precision yesterday. Will follow up once installed and tested. I went with the .100 width in order to have more light around the front sight.

AlanF
11-02-2018, 07:43 AM
My front sight will not budge using the provided sight punch. Got to find a plan B.

rking22
11-03-2018, 08:01 AM
Bigger hammer? Just kidding there, kdoil for things you want to move... if not you need a sight pusher.

AnthonyB
11-09-2018, 03:07 PM
My local gun shop enabler called me today. He had been on the waiting list for a half-lug 5 inch and one is on the way to him now. I should have it on Tuesday.
Tony

AlanF
11-09-2018, 06:25 PM
I am taking mine to the range tomorrow to try a couple hunting loads. I think you will enjoy the revolver.

AnthonyB
11-14-2018, 01:33 AM
Picked up my 5 inch half-lug today. The front sight looked good in the dovetail, but the rear sight was adjusted all the way over to the right. Took it to the range for a quick 20 rounds of the MP 503 HP over 7.5 grains Unique. It shot 6 inches high offhand and a little right of POA. The is travel left for elevation in the rear. I did NOT notice a big bluing blemish on the bottom half of the muzzle while I was in the store. I’ll try cleaning it before saying it is a really bad scratch, but that is my initial impression. Will definitely check the trigger pivot pin to see if I can get it out and do a lot more shooting before making any decision about contacting Ruger.
Tony