PDA

View Full Version : swagged bullets

Big Fella
08-25-2008, 11:06 PM
With Starr bullets out of business, what commercial dealer is selling good, swagged bullets?

Buckshot
08-26-2008, 01:55 AM
...............I don't know what Starr sold, so what kind of swagged bullets?

................Buckshot

Firebird
08-26-2008, 11:46 AM
Star specialized in swaged bullets for Bullseye shooting, my favorite was their 45 cal 185 grain SWCHP that had the same profile as the H&G #68 200 grain, with the hollow point to drop the weight to 185 grains and the special "white" lube that stuck to the bullet better than their standard sticky black lube.. They also had a very good 148 grain DEWC bullet in 38 caliber that was very popular. He made several other calibers and weights, but I think most of his business was those two bullets. Very good quality control, his swaged bullets were more accurate than any cast bullet due to the weight and void control that swaging can allow.
Is he finally out of business for good? I know several years ago he quit, then started up again.

Big Fella
08-26-2008, 07:52 PM
Sorry Buckshot, I should have been more specfic. I shot thousands of his 148 grain, hollowbase wadcutters. They were very uniform and very accurate. Still have some left, but would like to find another supplier. Thank you for looking!!

Buckshot
08-31-2008, 01:44 AM
.................Have you tried any of the Remington or Speer HBWC's. I have read that the Remingtons were exceptionaly accurate out of good 38's. I have intended for some time to order some and see.

................Buckshot

MakeMineA10mm
08-31-2008, 06:19 PM
I've shot a lot of the Hornady swaged 38 148gr HBWCs and they've shot well. They have a knurled circumference and a white wax-like lube.

I know Hornday swages 45 x 200gr SWCs, but I've never shot any or compared them to my H&G #68s...

LAH
08-31-2008, 07:52 PM
With Starr bullets out of business, what commercial dealer is selling good, swagged bullets?

Any address/phone number for Starr? They may have just what I'm looking for............Creeker