PDA

View Full Version : 1917 303 British? and a WW 1917

JSH
11-21-2005, 06:16 PM
OK, have not looked around much as I just got to look at these two today. You fellas sparked my interest in these, so I am coming here for help. I didn't recognize any of the markings on the 1917 that looks to be a 303. No US markings or loan markings at all. The bolt face is fairly large which is why I am thinking it is a 303. It has a couple of screws here and there that are missing bu other than that looks to be a very honest old rifle. The only thing I could see that was missing was the volley fire little whatchamacallit. Bore looked good, rifling was high and pround with some dark in the lands.

The Winchester has had bubba work done to it. I am pretty sure this one is 30-06 as the bolt face is smaller. The rear sight ears have been ground off of course, !!!((*^%%^^^__---. Has a Bishop stock that looks to have never been touched other than a coat or two of varnish. The attempt at sporterizing it was pretty crude. The action was not drilled and tapped, but a rear sight was placed on the barrel in front of the action. The barrel and action does have some proof marks left, but no bluing or finish left to speak of. Some minor pitting but not bad.
Both are priced the same. I am leaning more towards the full dressed on. But am open to you guys input as well. I know I could buy them both, but that damn St.Claus fella is not far off.........................
Jeff

Four Fingers of Death
11-22-2005, 06:33 AM
From memory, there were not many markings on the P14s. The Winchesters all had the big W in front of the serial number. The M17 you said was a Winchester and these actons have always been popular, so if it is not far gone you may be abe to sell the action to a rebuilder for a better price than the whole rifle. Good luck, they are a bit of a boat oar in comparison to other military rifles, but they are like warts, they grow on you.

Bad Ass Wallace
11-22-2005, 08:11 AM
This look familar M17 Eddystone in 30.06 with ears on and of course the dog-leg bolt handle?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/BAWallace/M17_2.jpg

For Service rifle competition, the M17 and P14 has the longest sight radius of any modern military bolt action. I used a Remington M17 in competition for over 20 years with great success

JSH
11-22-2005, 09:15 AM
Yessir that is the animal. Now to my rcollection they both had the dog leg bolt handle. The 303 aka P14 looks like what ya have pictured.
Any of you gents have any luck getting the P14 to shoot well?
I just sure hate to see either get put back to truck gun duty.
Jeff

junkbug
11-22-2005, 01:07 PM
The U.S. Rifle, Model 1917, and the British P-14 look nearly identical in original configuration. An unaltered Model 1917 (in 30-06) was the first firearm I ever purchased, on my 18th birthday.

I have no real insight on the P-14 in .303, other than to treat it the same as a Lee Enfield, and see what it likes best. Some people believe the P-14 can handle somewhat warmer reloads than a Lee Enfield, but that is just hearsay, to me anyway. I have never felt the need to load my Model 1917 to the max, since I use it mostly for target shooting, and it still has only open sights. It has been a while since I have used it, also.

Take care.

Sean

swheeler
11-23-2005, 03:15 AM
JSH; cosmetically they look very similar, especially in full military dress. Internally they are quite different, the 1917 uses a coned breech barrel and the P14 doesnot. The bolt bodies are different on the locking lugs(and face recess), magazine boxes, follower and extracters are different(rimmed v nonrimmed) Remington used the design after the war to produce M30 sporting rifles, doglegged bolt and all. The REM marked recievers do not have the relief cut under the rear sight, WIN and Eddystone do. I have had a couple P14 in mag calibers-Eddy and REM- both held up fine in 6.5 REM MAG and 375H&H. They were manufactured by two arms companies, Winchester arsenal in New Haven, Conn. and Remington with Bridgeport, Conn. arsenal(REM) and Eddystone,Penn arsenal(Eddystone) The eddystone marked guns usually have the roughest finish of the three. I bought my first Eddystone in 1964? at the Trading Post, Glendive,MT for 35.00 I believe. Seemed like a kings ransom when I could buy a mauser or SMLE for around 20.00 at the local grocery store in Sidney, and had to druel at those out of sight 03 springfields for around 60.00. Get the one that ain't butchered and ENJOY! Just my 2 cents Scooter