PDA

View Full Version : Field pants and game shears

osteodoc08
01-16-2018, 05:11 PM
Now that deer season is over, I'll have a chance to march through some briars in search of the wascaly wabbit. My field pants that I inherited from
My father have reached their useful life. I stole them from him about 20 years ago and never let him have them back!

Needless to say, looking for a nice set of field pants that will protect me from the briars and won't get hung up. The ones I had were a nice tan to brown color with a red insulated liner. Looking for similar. May as well look for another game vest as well.

While I'm at it, I'd like to find a solid set of game shears, preferably heavy SS.

Suggestions?

country gent
01-16-2018, 05:20 PM
I had a set of charhart insulated Bibs I used for years. The brown duck / canvas last wears forever. They were warm and comfortable. Had zippers in the legs and were easy to get on and off if need arose. With a coat over them and moving thru brush they were plenty warm here. LOL

starmac
01-16-2018, 05:46 PM
I don't know if they still make the very same pants, but about 15 years ago I bought 2 pair of carhart insulated pants, with full length zippers on the legs. These are like the bibs, but just the pants and I wear them pretty much every day I work in the winter, and they seem to just be broken in good.
I have not seen these exact pants for sale in several years though, they have some similar, but with different insulation and seemingly not quite as tough a material.

MyFlatline
01-16-2018, 05:55 PM
Check out the Duluth Trading Post,,they sell a fire hose pant that is bullet proof. I out grew mine or maybe they shrank :)

Rick Hodges
01-16-2018, 06:32 PM
I have had a set of game shears make by Buck knives for about 20 years....first rate and still going strong.
I just looked, they were made in Korea.

ShooterAZ
01-16-2018, 06:35 PM
It's amazing how stuff shrinks from just hanging in the closet. Happens to me all the time...:bigsmyl2:

edler7
01-16-2018, 06:50 PM
Duluth Trading has fire hose briar pants. They have a nylon front from mid thigh down, you just glide through weeds, briars and other prickly things with that nylon front. I wear them for pheasant hunting, and they are great.

Unfortunately, no insulated liner.

Fortunately...on clearance right now.

Petrol & Powder
01-16-2018, 07:40 PM
Another vote for the Duluth fire hose gear !

Beerd
01-16-2018, 07:48 PM
good to know closet shrink isn't limited to my house.

AZ Pete
01-16-2018, 07:50 PM
Game shears....got two pair, one bought in Germany in 1974, and a pair of Case shears that are a few years younger, both used annually and performing as new. I would recommend looking at a cutlerystore thahandles high quality kitchen cutlery, or find aset of Case 48-8 shears.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pete501
01-16-2018, 10:04 PM
Filson Tin Cloth pants are tough as nails and water proof.

Minerat
01-16-2018, 10:29 PM
I have a set of Filson chaps that work great. I use them for hunting upland birds, elk, deer and when riding the ATV. They fold up and go under the back seat of the truck or in a hunting pack. You could probably wear shorts under them in summer and they go over insulated hunting pants in winter and they are water proof too, unless you go wading.:lol:

Petrol & Powder
01-16-2018, 11:15 PM
YES to Filson Tin Cloth (heavy waxed cotton) as well but you'd better have about 6 months to break them in first.

Greg S
01-17-2018, 05:51 AM
https://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_store.html?usrsearch=Poultry+shear

When I was busting brush with your dad, I picked up a pair of Filson brush pants. There better be a heavy frost about or you will be sweating. As I got older (fatter) I moved on to some Carhart field bibs. They were regular duck bibs with side zippers on the lower legs and cordura nylon second layer on the leg fronts with elastic shot shell carrier sen on about the chest pockets.

Had a nice pair of Wurstoff poultry shears until I loaned them to a friend once. Keep a dummy cord on them still tied to you if you should loan them out.

Mr_Sheesh
01-17-2018, 06:29 AM
Sadly, some dummies have learned to cut dummy cords. So maybe just require a $3k deposit before loaning them :p

pworley1
01-17-2018, 09:30 AM
I use Carhart pants and a Filson jacket. I have to replace the pants from time to time, but the jacket is about 40 years old and is just getting broken in.

Cowboy_Dan
01-17-2018, 08:07 PM
I wear chapps from Dan's Briarproof whenever I'm hunting. Place I hunt is about made of thorns, and as a bonus, the tags already have my name on them.

MaryB
01-17-2018, 10:18 PM
Carhart insulated coveralls, mine are blaze orange for deer hunting, and they are 30 years old... outside deer season they ride in my pickup as part of my winter survival gear.

Idaho Mule
01-20-2018, 10:28 PM
Filson Tin Cloth pants are tough as nails and water proof.

And there ya go!! JW