PDA

View Full Version : ? on early Marlin 1894/32-20

STP22
08-25-2008, 06:22 PM
I was handed an early Marlin Model 94 today in 32-20. I web searched serial numbers and struck out. Brophy`s data stops before this one, serial number wise. Does someone have dates of manufacter for the earlier Marlins that could shed some light?

Here are the particulars....

Serial #408XXX (Patent dates 10/11/1897-4/2/1899-8/1/1893)
24 inch round barrel
Straight grip stock with crescent butt
1/2 magazine
Open sights & D&T on receiver top and tang (original?)

Having just pulled a patch thru the bore...sad to say...the bore is not what I had hoped for.:( I will be scrubbing shortly to see how bad)

The tang is in fact stamped Marlin Model 94, which identifies it as later manufacture.

Another disappointing item is that when the lever is opened and closed, the hammer follows the bolt and will not cock. Pulling the hammer back in SA mode, the trigger pull is waaaay too light. Certainly either the trigger or the hammer sear surfaces are either messed with or it may simply be worn out. I will be taking the whole thing apart later for a look see.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

Denver
08-26-2008, 09:11 AM
I'm not that familiar with the older Marlin 94s, but I'd venture a guess that the holes in the top of the receiver are non factory. The holes in the tang quite likely are. As to the trigger hammer problem it could be as you suggest that someone has messed with it and caused it to act as it does. If that is the case or it's worn from use, the notches on the hammer possibly can be recut. Likewise the trigger sear can be reshaped if not too badly buggered. Also, a later model hammer even from current manufacture might work. I don't think the internals have changed much in these models. The trigger may be a different story. Yours is probably a one piece affair, where the modern ones are two piece. It could also be that the whole thing just need a good cleaning to work right. Hopefully the bore will clean up and be shootable.

Good luck :Fire:

ronbo
08-26-2008, 09:45 PM
The Marlin records on the model 94, 93 marked marlins are poor. I have a 1894 marked 32-20 that I had factory lettered to 1898 when Marlin still did the factory letters, went to Cody, Wy now. Have a 93 marked 32-40 with 40xx number that could not be lettered from Marlin. It does have the astrik mark on the tang though that Marlin put on rifles shortly after going bankrupt so puts it about 1924.

Link to Marlin look up but not for later 94's

http://oldguns.net/sn_php/marlinlookup.php

bandit7.5
08-26-2008, 11:20 PM
I have one of those 94 marlin 32-20 rifles and you described it al except for the full mag on mine and a 410xxx serial number and your patent date should be 18/11/87, 4/2/89, 8/1/93 , AND I think the D&T on top of the receiver is factory too. there are two more 94s in my area with the same holes and one has a aperture sight on top the other just has empty holes where mine has the fillin screws. the tang screws fit the top holes with no problem. I got mine as a wall hanger, barrel looked like a sewer pipe could not see rifling two ss brushes and a five gallon bucket of patches later and 100 rounds of paper patch boolits and the bore is still dark but smooth and the rifling is all there.