PDA

View Full Version : Need help with gun ID

grumble
11-21-2005, 05:34 PM
Ok, guys, this is embarassing, so don't give me TOO much grief. Please?

You know that 3-screw Ruger I was bragging about? Well, it ain't, I don't think. Went to buy the Wolf Springs, and all they had were coil springs, and I need leaf springs, I think.

First, though, I need to know what I have. Can anyone identify it?

StarMetal
11-21-2005, 05:41 PM
Geez Grumble,

guess you were so enamered with that pricetag you didn't look the gun over that good. Don't blame ya. It's not a Colt either so I'd say it's some Italian copy.

Aren't there any marking on it?

Joe

grumble
11-21-2005, 05:50 PM
It looks like the previous owner tried to reblue it, and in the process sanded off every marking except the serial number. That "15500" number sounds kinda fishy to me, but that's the only marking.

Denver
11-21-2005, 07:29 PM
Grumble;

It definitly ain't a Ruger. When I saw the hammer, I thought I had it nailed. That's the type used on the Hawes Western Marshal, J.P. Sauer, Hy Hunter, etc. of 60's vintage. The grip frame tho, doesn't appear to be correct for those models. They used a 2 piece frame, pretty much like a Colt.
Looks like something put together by somebody who worked at Gun Parts Corp. Kinda like a Johnny Cash lunchbox Cadillac.

Wayne Smith
11-21-2005, 07:48 PM
I don't know nothin about it, but that mainspring tension adjustment thinge looks different than I've seen before. Who has used those?

longhorn
11-21-2005, 11:11 PM
Early Weihrauch (sp?) I believe; shape of the trigger guard gives it away. I've never had the grips off one to see that tensioner, but I'll do so fairly soon.

Four Fingers of Death
11-22-2005, 06:42 AM
Took the words right out of my mouth longhorn, I remember looking at one years ago but it didn't flow right with the goofy trigger guard. Being made by Weirauch, it shoot shot ok thought.

grumble
11-22-2005, 03:02 PM
Great hints, guys, thanks! I've never heard of Weirauch, so googled it. Looks like they're an air gun maker. I couldn't find anything about that brand name on a firearm.

I don't know by whom or where the gun was made, but it "feels" like a regular old 'made in USA' gun, with plenty of heft and seemingly good hard steel.

It very well may be a kluge of different gun parts, I dunno. Amazing that all the holes are drilled in the right places to match up with different parts, though. And, FWIW, the cylinder is of the same dimensions as a Ruger.

So, any suggestions as to how to replace the two poorly homemade springs? (Hammer spring and trigger-pawl spring)

StarMetal
11-22-2005, 03:30 PM
Grumble,

Go to this Numrich gunpart page I have copied here. Look at that Abilene model. That grip frame looks just like yours and that I believe it once took the coil mainspring and someone modified to what you got, along with a whole bunch other parts.

http://www.e-gunparts.com/productschem.asp?chrMasterModel=4390zABILENE

Joe

By the way that Abilene is a U.S. Marshal gun

grumble
11-22-2005, 03:44 PM
Joe, that grip frame looks like it just might be the right thing! Some other parts of the gun don't quite match, but as was said earlier, it could be a kluge of other gun parts.

I think I'll order the springs and attaching pieces just to see what happens. The hammer is different where the spring touches it -- mine is more like a Colt hammer with the notch and roller for the leaf spring. But, I'll order the parts and see what I can do.

Many thanks for looking that up! I thought I'd looked through all the GPC diagrams. You sure are good at finding web pages that I can't find!

StarMetal
11-22-2005, 03:47 PM
I think that someone changed that hammer out or modified it when they went from a coil mainspring to a flat leaf one.

No problem, glad to help you out.

Joe