PDA

View Full Version : henry big boy loads

unclebill
08-25-2008, 01:53 PM
ive got a henry big boy .45 long colt and wanted to know if it could handle powerful loads.
so i called henry.
i asked him about BUFFALO BORE ammo.
the guy told me i could use CORBON 300GR. AND 265 GR.ammo.
these are rated +p
300 GR.
vel. 1300 fps
energy 1126 ft/lb.
that seems like an extremely powerful load
there is nothing in my loadbooks like this.
it is approaching .454casull speeds

the CORBON website says
Not Loaded to SAAMI Specifications.

i just e-mailed henry to see if what they say in a message is the same as the man on the phone said.
i have no intention of running super hot loads through this gun.
but it WOULD be fun to run some spicy ones!

does anyone have some thoughts on this?
i just want to run some quick 300 gr. boolits
:drinks:

unclebill
08-25-2008, 01:56 PM
P.S.
here is the response i got not 10 minutes after sending my e-mail

Yes, and thank you for owning a Henry Golden Boy.

Anthony Imperato, President
Henry Repeating Arms, Co.
110 8th Street
Brooklyn, NY 11215

Telephone 718-499-5600
Fax 718-768-8056
Email Anthony@HenryRepeating.com
Website http://www.henryrepeating.com

"MADE IN AMERICA AND PRICED RIGHT"

(718) 499-5600
----- Original Message -----
To: webletters@henryrepeating.com
Sent: Monday, August 25, 2008 2:35 PM
Subject: Web mail from wi8lliam hedges

Date: August 25, 2008
Time: 1:35 PM EST

greetings,
i am the proud owner of a big boy in .45 long colt.
can this rifle handle this ammunition?
CORBON 45 COLT+P 300 GR. JSP

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME
bill hedges

leadeye
08-26-2008, 10:29 AM
My Henry has had two cast loads run through it so far using RCBS 300 gc boolits. 21g 296 and 17g 2400. These were ones I had made up for my Ruger Blackhawks and the Henry had no problem with them. The gun is chambered for 44 mag so it should do well with 54 lc loads in the same area. They are nice shooting guns.

missionary5155
08-26-2008, 08:46 PM
Just a sideline on the Henry Rifle Corp. I am somewhat fond of the .44 Russian cartridge. There are no lever action rifles made for this cartridge (except the new Spencer) I contacted (Email)Henry Rifles 3 years ago and asked if their Big Boy 44 lever action would reliably cycle .44 Russian cartriges. The President responded and asked where he could get some .44 Russian and run some tests. I suggested two manufacturers. A week later the President wrote again stating he had finished the testing and the 44 Big Boy would not only reliably cycle the cartridge but was reasonably accurate in shooting them.

corvette8n
08-27-2008, 04:30 PM
I've been shooting Doubletap ammo 300gr. 1325 fps ,1170 ft. lbs. in my LSI/PUMA 1892 carbine in .45 Colt, so far it didn't fall apart.
16" bbl. large loop lever, saddle ring, handy and fun to shoot.

WickedGoodOutdoors
08-27-2008, 06:55 PM
Henry Rifle Company is one of very Few Companies that give High Quality Honest products.

They deliver what they promise. No ifs and or butts. If every American company would follow their example we would be the envey of every other Nation in the World.

The owner Anthony is the Straight Shooter. I hope his family continues to make rifles for many generations

If I could own just One Rifle it would be a Henry.

But what would I do with my second Henry>

Capt Walt

I tried to load on Sunday and Shoot all week but I ran out of .44 mag so I used the Henry .22 LR until it ran out of Ammo so I went fishing

Boy I wish they would make a .44 Mag Revolver (Hint to Anthony: CZ is not making the Alaskin Guide .445 supermag anymore?) to compliment the Henry Big Boy. Hint: Hint: Ported Barrel, .44 special, .44 Mag, .445 Supermag all in 3 in, 5 in or 7 in interchangeable barrels with a .22 LR practice kit. Maybe you could call it the Maine Guide Model?

The Only thing better than a Henry Lever Action is a Left Handed Henry Lever Action

Here is some Video of the Henry .22 and the Henry .44 Mag

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W1br232K8I

oldcowpoke
10-29-2016, 05:55 PM
Hello all Henry fans. My first post so bear with me. Regarding "hot" loads for the Big Boy .45, I, too, called Henry a few years ago just to compliment them on a fine piece of craftsmanship and to my surprise, Anthony answered the phone. I asked him what CUP the rifle was tested at and all I''ll say is that he said a value that was over 48,000 cup. A few years later, I spoke to Tech support about hand loads with some juice for hog hunting. Naturally, he wouldn't repeat what the boss and repeated the industry party line about factory ammo only but he did suggest contacting Buffalo Bore. If memory serves me, I think he mentioned something about a boolit around 268 gr. but I'm not positive about that.

Buffalo Bore came up with a couple of options which I bought: "Heavy 45 Colt +P 260 gr.; JHP at 1450 FPS," and ( I love this description) "45 Colt +P Deer Grenade , 260 gr., Medium Cast HP-GC at 1500 FPS". The first one has the big warning on the box saying "All heavy .45 Colt +P is to be fired only in Ruger Large Frame, Colt Anaconda, Freedom Arms Revolvers, T/C Winchester 94 and Marlin 94. Not for use in the small frame Ruger Vaquero", which I also have.

Using those values as a basis, I developed a load using a Hodgdon recipe for the 45 Colt revolvers by Ruger, Freedom Arms and T/C, using 26.5grs, H110 with a 250gr Hornady XTP boolit. The pressure on that load is 29,800 CUP and the velocity is 1455 ft/s. There was a hotter load listed using 240gr Sierra JHC with 28.0grs H110 pushing out at 1532 ft/s and 30,000 CUP.

Based on a very unscientific method of recoil comparison between the Buffalo Bore rounds and my handloads, I'd say they were darn close. I used the same Starline brass BB used as well as a mild crimp; COL was the same as was the seating depth. I have no idea what powder or primer BB uses. Dummy here, didn't think of marking the hits on
another target at my bench as I shot each round. Next time I'll be smarter about stuff like that.

Next project is to do the same with the new Pedersoli Sharps I'm getting after I get some range time with it. But I have to pick the brains on a different forum topic and learn what others have come up with for a safe, "warmer" round for that rifle on a hog.

buckshotshoey
10-29-2016, 09:40 PM
Hello all Henry fans. My first post so bear with me. Regarding "hot" loads for the Big Boy .45, I, too, called Henry a few years ago just to compliment them on a fine piece of craftsmanship and to my surprise, Anthony answered the phone. I asked him what CUP the rifle was tested at and all I''ll say is that he said a value that was over 48,000 cup. A few years later, I spoke to Tech support about hand loads with some juice for hog hunting. Naturally, he wouldn't repeat what the boss and repeated the industry party line about factory ammo only but he did suggest contacting Buffalo Bore. If memory serves me, I think he mentioned something about a boolit around 268 gr. but I'm not positive about that.

Buffalo Bore came up with a couple of options which I bought: "Heavy 45 Colt +P 260 gr.; JHP at 1450 FPS," and ( I love this description) "45 Colt +P Deer Grenade , 260 gr., Medium Cast HP-GC at 1500 FPS". The first one has the big warning on the box saying "All heavy .45 Colt +P is to be fired only in Ruger Large Frame, Colt Anaconda, Freedom Arms Revolvers, T/C Winchester 94 and Marlin 94. Not for use in the small frame Ruger Vaquero", which I also have.

Using those values as a basis, I developed a load using a Hodgdon recipe for the 45 Colt revolvers by Ruger, Freedom Arms and T/C, using 26.5grs, H110 with a 250gr Hornady XTP boolit. The pressure on that load is 29,800 CUP and the velocity is 1455 ft/s. There was a hotter load listed using 240gr Sierra JHC with 28.0grs H110 pushing out at 1532 ft/s and 30,000 CUP.

Based on a very unscientific method of recoil comparison between the Buffalo Bore rounds and my handloads, I'd say they were darn close. I used the same Starline brass BB used as well as a mild crimp; COL was the same as was the seating depth. I have no idea what powder or primer BB uses. Dummy here, didn't think of marking the hits on
another target at my bench as I shot each round. Next time I'll be smarter about stuff like that.

Next project is to do the same with the new Pedersoli Sharps I'm getting after I get some range time with it. But I have to pick the brains on a different forum topic and learn what others have come up with for a safe, "warmer" round for that rifle on a hog.

You definitely have found another Henry fan and welcome to the forum.