PDA

View Full Version : How are the new Lee Loadmasters?

wdfwguy
01-12-2018, 11:03 PM
I'm really enjoying my LCT, but kicking around the idea of a progressive, and maybe a new Loadmaster

Obviously they get mixed reviews, but it seems like I've read that the newer versions have less issues. Are they worth trying with some of the fixes and mods out there? Just trying to get a sense of how likely it's just going to be a pita.

Kenstone
01-13-2018, 12:22 AM
I suggest you take a look at the Pro 1000 too.
Either way watch the setup vids here:
https://leeprecision.com/help-videos.html
:mrgreen:

Edit:
Commonly known by Pro 1000 owners is priming issues are related to the index adjustment, and is stated in the index adjustment video on the Lee website.
The problem is most new Pro 1000 owners never look at any of the vids on the Lee website, get frustrated and post bad reviews.

The 2018 Pro 1000 design now has a index alignment pin, making priming issues less sensitive to index adjustment.
For me it's a fix looking for a problem, found in new owners who fail to understand how the press adjusts/works...kind of idiot proof thru complexity.
I guess that makes me a Lee critic now, but still enjoy using Lee stuff,
jmo

toallmy
01-13-2018, 08:08 AM
I like my loadmaster very much it's a couple years old and came with the new primer system . I spent a lot of time figuring out how it works and spent a lot more time setting it up , but I am more than happy with it . If you are willing to do the research and put in the time with it you can load some nice ammunition with a loadmaster . Currently loading 38,357,45 auto , and 9 mm on a loadmaster .:popcorn

kmw1954
01-13-2018, 02:19 PM
Another thought. I think I would hold off as the rumor is that Lee will be coming out with a new 4 hole Pro1000 with some very nice improvements and will use the same turret heads.

Lloyd Smale
01-15-2018, 08:29 AM
My mother allways said if you have nothing good to say ______________. Id about bet anyone that brags on them has never used a Dillon or hornady progressive.

17nut
01-15-2018, 08:46 AM
My mother allways said if you have nothing good to say ______________. Id about bet anyone that brags on them has never used a Dillon or hornady progressive.

And i bet there is nothing but the finest Zeiss scopes on all your rifles as well?
Not all of us can afford a brand new F-150 with all the bells and whistles, we have to make do with a Toyota.
I will continue to use the fine Lee Pro 1000 i have, that works, than linger on with a single stage press and wait for the time in the distant future when i might afford a Dillon, but thats just me.

HangFireW8
01-15-2018, 09:16 AM

Well Lloyd you should have followed your Mother's advice.

Lee, Dillon and Hornady (I have one) have all improved their designs over the years. I guess none of them got it perfect on the first try.

Petrol & Powder
01-15-2018, 09:27 AM
The problem with the Lee progressive is that it's too oddly shaped to be a paperweight and it isn't heavy enough to be a good boat anchor.

However, I don't wish to completely disparage the device, it IS a very effective tool to convert cash into frustration.

jmort
01-15-2018, 09:51 AM
O/P asked a simple question. Crude ignorant reponses are not beneficial. The new model has not been out long. We know for a fact that many people are happily using Lee progressives but they require more owner involvement to make them run, but we know that can be done. Lot of info out their on their two models. I hope that the Lee new and improved progressive work well, as their price point is always excellent. I have two Lee classic turrets which are rightly praised by their owners, I know I love mine.

dverna
01-15-2018, 10:05 AM
Jmorris here on this forum got one to work reasonably well. They do need tweaking if you are up to that. He is quite a talented guy and has a lot of experience with many reloading tools. He is also a Dillon guy. Best advice I can give is to pm him and get his opinion....it is based on experience with more than just a Lee or just a Dillon or just a whatever.

Also, you will see some who prime off the press to get the Lee's they have to work with fewer problems. Not everyone, but some. To me, that defeats the purpose of a progressive and is not a compromise I would ever make. YMMV. Jmorris does not prime off the press.

Your mechanical abilities and disposition will affect your choice. Some people love tinkering. I am not one of them. I use Dillon progressives for that reason. But the Loadmaster can be make to work.

Also, when seeking advice ask the person giving it how many rounds a week they reload. Those who reload 2000 a year are in a different situation than those who reload 2000 a month. BTW, I have reloaded 4000 in a day so it is easier for me to justify a more robust machine. By robust, I mean one with a higher level of reliability and less affected by operator error (like a change in cadence).

MyFlatline
01-15-2018, 10:07 AM
My Hornady LNL AP has taken a back seat the the Lee Classic Turret. Doubt I will ever entertain the cost of a Dillon.

kmw1954
01-15-2018, 10:17 AM

You are correct. I never have used DILLON and most likely never will. The 2 Lee presses I have WORK perfectly fine so why should I spend the money just to satisfy you or any of the other reloading SNOBS.

Petrol & Powder
01-15-2018, 10:51 AM
I will not disparage the Lee Classic Turret press or even the Turret press with auto index. They are good values.

However, at $230 the Loadmaster is not the bargain that it initially appears to be. It is about $200 less expensive than a Dillon 550 and that extra $200 for the Dillon is worth every penny.
I'm not a snob and I hate to spend money but sometimes you just have to spend a bit more.
Go to MidwayUSA and read the negative reviews on the Lee Loadmaster (there are a lot of them). I'm sure that some of those reports are from people that aren't mechanically inclined, but all of them ?
I have some experience with the Lee progressives, you can make them work for a little while but there was always something broken or in need of adjustment.
Lee didn't hit that $230 price point without cutting corners.

Dillon owners brag about their machines and the great Dillon service because, frankly, the machines and service are top notch.
Same holds true for RCBS.

I'm just not impressed with Lee progressive presses and I'm sharing my opinion with others on this forum.

If you have a Lee progressive and like it,.....great.

kmw1954
01-15-2018, 11:10 AM
I'm just not impressed with Lee progressive presses and I'm sharing my opinion with others on this forum.

If you have a Lee progressive and like it,.....great.

Same can be said, "If you have a Dillon and like it,...... Great". I really don't care what you or anyone else owns because I don't have to use it.

I can add that I also own a GMC pickup that cost me a lot of money and it's been the biggest piece of junk I've ever owned. Back when, I've owned AMC Gremlins that were more reliable than this truck. So does that make al GMC trucks junk? But for what it's worth I wouldn't buy a Loadmaster either though I would buy another Pro1000.

AnotherNew1
01-15-2018, 11:41 AM
OP: Was thinking about getting an AR, what do you think?
Res: That's worthless u should get a mounted 50 Cal, it works better????????

OP, I enjoy using my LoadMaster, i'm newer than everyone here but for what i spent i'm happy 1-2000 Rounds (Handgun) month.
Have not ventured into Rifles yet with the LoadMaster, so i cant say.

45workhorse
01-15-2018, 11:42 AM
I deprime and size on the Lee 1000. Clean, trim, and prime off press and then load on the Lee 1000. It may not work for everybody, but I ain't everybody. Dang fine press
I have a Dillion bought second hand, dang fine press.
Also have RCBS Jr., bought in 1985, that press will not go anywhere has long I can remain above ground!
All reloading presses single, and progressive, have a learning curve, learn it and you will be fine, don't then let the cuss words fly.
Just my opinion, that and $2.00 will get you a cup of coffee at most places.

Kenstone
01-15-2018, 12:22 PM
Check out this Dillon thread...
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?352237-Dillon-550-vs-650
You won't see any Lee owners trolling there...know why?
We don't do it,

Threads like this one tend to grow my ignore list.

Papercidal
01-15-2018, 01:43 PM
I had a loadmaster for a few years and started on my dads pro 1000 and would greatly recommend the pro 1000 and crimp on a single stage if you really need to crimp as a separate step. The loadmaster is a third the press my 650 is at half the price the pro 1000 is better than half the press at a third the price.

toallmy
01-15-2018, 06:55 PM
When I posted earlier , I thought this would happen , it took a couple days but it turned ugly . I picked up a Dillon 550 a few months after I got the loadmaster set up and figured out how it liked to be used and I can honestly say both of them are setting on the bench right beside each other without fighting they get along fine .

toallmy
01-15-2018, 07:02 PM
I posted twice

Bzcraig
01-15-2018, 08:33 PM
When I posted earlier , I thought this would happen , it took a couple days but it turned ugly . I picked up a Dillon 550 a few months after I got the loadmaster set up and figured out how it liked to be used and I can honestly say both of them are setting on the bench right beside each other without fighting they get along fine .

You're absolutely correct, did take a little longer than usual for the childish stuff to start. I have Lee, RCBS and Hornady on my bench that don't fight either.

zomby woof
01-15-2018, 09:22 PM
LM owner for 30 years. It makes great ammo, rifle and pistol.

Up'd my ammo usage shooting USPSA and getting older, the LM was getting old. I sprung for a 650.

LM will do the job very well.

HangFireW8
01-15-2018, 10:36 PM
LM owner for 30 years. It makes great ammo, rifle and pistol.

Typo? Different press? The Lee LoadMaster hasn't been around for 30 years.

Well, introduced 1992, I guess we'll get there soon enough, in 4 more years.

DougGuy
01-15-2018, 10:51 PM
If you like skipped primers, flipped primers, sideways primers, you will LOVE the loadmaster. If you love a staticky *** powder measure that throws whatever charge it decides on at the time, you will LOVE the loadmaster.

Once you figure out that if you want foolproof priming, and you use a hand primer to do this because it works SO much better than priming on the loadmaster, and once you figure out that you would be better off with a different powder measure than what comes with the loadmaster, then you figure out well, what in the daylights do I NEED a loadmaster for? And you figure out that a pro 1000 or even a manual 3 hole press makes more sense and costs less money and a LOT less time and frustration than the loadmaster.

Other than that? The loadmaster is a great press. For someone else.

Lloyd Smale
01-16-2018, 07:32 AM
there was no personal attacks here so that said Ive got just as much of a right to post my opinion as you or anyone else. Ive owned both pro1000 and a loadmaster and there junk. If that hurts your feelings I'm sorry but you weren't the person that built or designed it so theres no reason you should take it personaly. I know many here don't load as much as I do and maybe can get away with cheap stuff. But theres many here that come to get opinions of whats good and whats not and if they pick up a 550 vs a loadmaster ive probably saved them the 300 bucks I wasted on mine. Maybe if your idea of mass loading is cranking out 200 rounds youll bet by just fine. But I know that after even a couple hundred thousand my 55O will work just as well as it did the day I bought it. Is it perfect? Nope but its hands down worth the extra money over a loadmaster. I load and shoot.

I spend my hard earned money on that hobby. I do it ALOT and its my only hobby. I laugh because some here will go cheap on a loading press but think nothing of spending a 1000 bucks putting chrome on there truck or Harley. Will spend thousands going on vacation every year, or even can justify owning 10 or 15 guns when for the price of just ONE of those guns can buy a good press. There was absolutely nothing crude or arrogant posted by me or anyone else here. If your that insecure in your choice of a press then maybe you have a reason to be insecure. Kind of reminds me of my dads old buddy. He was half owner I our hunting camp. He had his own airplane bought new snowmobiles every year but would come to camp to hunt deer with an m1 carbine with some old scope on it that had duck tape wrapped around the mount to hold it on the rifle.

I guess it all comes down to what your priortys are and mine are loading and shooting and casting. I'm not going to do it with a cheap press, lee sizers and alox, or a gun with the scoped duck taped to it. I know its not in everyones budget to buy a Dillon press or a star sizer ect. But personaly if I couldn't afford to buy a 550 id stick with my single stage press and save my change for a couple more years till I could. Its your post that is a personal attack not mine.
O/P asked a simple question. Crude ignorant reponses are not beneficial. The new model has not been out long. We know for a fact that many people are happily using Lee progressives but they require more owner involvement to make them run, but we know that can be done. Lot of info out their on their two models. I hope that the Lee new and improved progressive work well, as their price point is always excellent. I have two Lee classic turrets which are rightly praised by their owners, I know I love mine.

jmorris
01-16-2018, 09:59 AM
I have or had progressives from everyone that offers one RCBS, couple Hornady’s, more than one of all the Dillon’s and will brag on the worlds fastest Loadmaster, I put together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9pjmuHAkBU

I can’t say they are the best machine but once you get one to run right, you will have the knowledge of how to keep it running.

Any idea what has changed on the “new model”?

I used the 3 gen primer system on mine. They are not for everyone but they can be made to run.

kmw1954
01-16-2018, 10:10 AM
WOW Lloyd that is some rant. Sounds like someone that was personally insulted and had to attack back. But hey let's go back to post #5;

I believe that is attributed to you? Was there really a point to that statement or was it just to draw a response like you have received? Sure you are entitled to your opinion but a statement such as above does nothing to advance the discussion. There is no fact, no substance. Just innuendo and what comes across as bitterness.

Now you want to read a rant try this one at post #24. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?352202-hand-priming-with-progressive-press&p=4262592#post4262592

Then I'll state it AGAIN. I don't care 2 hoots what equipment you use or own. I don't have to use it and what I do have works just fine for me. If you feel the need to post a rant to justify what you have then go ahead. Buy as you yourself have stated this is a public forum and we are also free to follow up and post our opinions of your opinion.

dverna
01-16-2018, 11:12 AM
Just to be fair kmw, Lloyd did state he has owned both a pro1000 and a loadmaster so he has a basis for his opinion. Maybe he is not as good at mechanical things as you are, or maybe his expectations are higher, or maybe he has experience with other presses and has an informed opinion.

BTW, just a short story. I moved to northern MI 5 years ago. I have a 1999 Mercedes (as well as two pickup trucks)....about the only Mercedes in the area. None of the people here had ever ridden in one. They could not believe how smooth that car was on ratty roads, or it's ability to reach a high speed without fanfare and cruise effortlessly well over the speed limit. They also commented it was tighter and more solid than anything else...even newer offerings by Ford, Chevy etc. These are good honest people. They are poor, but they are not stupid. They will never own a Mercedes but know it is a better car than they will ever have.

Sometimes you do not know what you do not know. If you ever run a Dillon for a few hours and still prefer the Lee...well...not more to say. You are happy with your Lee. All is good.

kmw1954
01-16-2018, 12:19 PM
Just to be fair kmw, Lloyd did state he has owned both a pro1000 and a loadmaster so he has a basis for his opinion. Maybe he is not as good at mechanical things as you are, or maybe his expectations are higher, or maybe he has experience with other presses and has an informed opinion. .

dverna and yes to be fair I did also state that if you do have first hand experience then share it! Don't just make a condescending remark and then walk away. Back it up with some facts so people can make an honest judgment. Did you choose to skip that part of my comment or just not read it?

I have nothing against Dillon or any other press for that matter. Use what you want or can afford. A press is just a tool like any other. I've got no skin in your game. If you feel the only way to make good ammunition is by using Dillon then good for you. I happen to not feel the same way which also makes no difference to anyone but me.

In my tool box I have Snap On tools and I have a set of wrenches that were purchased from Ace Hardware back in 1970. I still use both, so what!

Lloyd Smale
01-16-2018, 12:42 PM
you don't have a lot of say in what or how I post as long as I stick to the rules and those rules state no personal attacks. A line your coming pretty close to crossing. Maybe there is a bit of bitterness because I basically threw away 500 bucks on junk. If I can save one other person from making the same stupid mistake I did then my post is valid to me. I'm sorry if it hurts your feelings but I wouldn't bother with another one if it were free. To many things to give a guy stress in his life as it is. Reloading is my time away from the stress and its relaxing and I want to keep it that way.
WOW Lloyd that is some rant. Sounds like someone that was personally insulted and had to attack back. But hey let's go back to post #5;

I believe that is attributed to you? Was there really a point to that statement or was it just to draw a response like you have received? Sure you are entitled to your opinion but a statement such as above does nothing to advance the discussion. There is no fact, no substance. Just innuendo and what comes across as bitterness.

Now you want to read a rant try this one at post #24. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?352202-hand-priming-with-progressive-press&p=4262592#post4262592

Then I'll state it AGAIN. I don't care 2 hoots what equipment you use or own. I don't have to use it and what I do have works just fine for me. If you feel the need to post a rant to justify what you have then go ahead. Buy as you yourself have stated this is a public forum and we are also free to follow up and post our opinions of your opinion.

kmw1954
01-16-2018, 01:04 PM
you don't have a lot of say in what or how I post as long as I stick to the rules and those rules state no personal attacks.

Maybe there is a bit of bitterness because I basically threw away 500 bucks on junk. If I can save one other person from making the same stupid mistake I did then my post is valid to me. .

You are correct. You can say anything you like and voice any opinion you have just as we have the right to respond to that. And It may not seem like it to you but I view your comment in post #5 as a personal attack on anyone that uses something other than your precious blue press.

Now fine, you have experience with the Lee equipment, even bad to poor experience, so why is it that you couldn't relate that before and add substance to your comment? Myself I have issues with the Lee Auto Drum measure but when people ask I take the time to explain why I do. I explain the experience and then let them judge the validity of the comment. Open ended comments serve no useful purpose to anyone.

Lloyd Smale
01-16-2018, 01:33 PM
personal attack is when I come at you personaly. Not because I make a general statement like lee progressives are junk. I buy chev trucks. Why? Because ive been stung on two fords. Did I make that chev truck or that ford truck. NOPE. I bought, I didn't make it, it and its no personal attack on me if you don't agree with the brand I buy unless a guy has some real skin. As to open ended comments that's my choice if it doesn't break any rule. you didn't make a blanket statement about that. You quoted MY post. No rule says I have to give an explanation for any opinion I have. Really no need to with this subject anyway. Ive been here for 15 years and this subject has been hashed out over and over and over. So if you don't like the way I post you have a couple choices. Put me on your ignore list or report a violation to the moderator. Now I'm done here.

marek313
01-17-2018, 08:58 AM
This topic always ends the same way but I think there is probably better way of looking at this. Look at Lee as an entry level progressive press. Yes it works if you set it up properly but it is not a Dillon or Hornady. Price reflects that accordingly. I bought LM to learn because I never had a progressive press. I knew what i was buying but I did it anyway. I dont regret my purchase at all. I get that priming sucks on LM so either make it work/ hand prime or go buy another press. Simple options if you ask me. For most part I get about one or two misprimes in a hundred cases. Thats not bad enough for me to hand prime or pay more money for another press. One day I'm sure I'll move to some other press whatever brand it may be but I will only do it when I'm ready and when i'm done with LM. I think LM provides important learning stage and for many people progressive might not be the way to go. Considering price of factory ammo even If I only loaded few thousands rounds on my LM and then trashed it. I would still consider that $250 money well spent.

kmw1954
01-17-2018, 10:15 AM
Yes this topic does always progress the same way and that is the same with each of the 3 of the 4 forums I participate in. It just takes one word in the topic. LEE.

I believe you will find that throughout those 4 forums that I stay consistent in my approach to equipment, what value it has, it's short comings, it's strengths and how I use it. You can also find that throughout those same forums that nowhere will you ever find that I state that Lee makes the best stuff or that Lee presses are superior to all the others because they are not. They are also not as bad as some people like to make them out to be. If they were that bad they would not still be in business. There is more than plenty information on the web for anyone with half a brain to do a search and find all they info the could ever want on Lee Presses. Good and bad so there is no reason anyone should have to come onto a forum and ***** that they bought a piece of junk press. If they do then they didn't do their homework before they purchased it. It's that plain and simple.

Are Lee presses the best option for everyone? NO, BUT THEN neither is Dillon, Hornady or RCBS. Even Progressive presses as a whole are not for everyone for many different reasons. Investment cost, ease of use and yes even the volume of use. It is my belief that if you are not loading at least a 1000 rounds every month then you do not need a progressive press and if you are loading more than 3000 every month then you probably need something more than a Lee Pro1000 or even a Dillon 550. That is of course unless you want to be at the loading press every night.

For myself I have found that I am loading about 3000 round per year just by what I have bought for primers and bullets. Then my presses are sitting idle for probably 9 months out of the year so with that I will ask again as I have before w/o any answers. Someone please explain to me why I need more press than I already have? Why do I need hundreds to thousands of dollars tied up in equipment that is only going to be used sparingly?

I know because Lee Presses are JUNK! Just ask anyone.

jmorris
01-17-2018, 10:22 AM
I bought LM to learn because I never had a progressive press.

I think this is the case in many instances.

I didn’t have the fights with the LM others have had they throw them away because I had already been using “good” progressives for over 30 years from everyone else that made them.

PS. Please post photos of the reloading room with hundreds of thousands of dollars of reloading equipment in it.

Smoke4320
01-17-2018, 10:50 AM
I think this is the case in many instances.

I didn’t have the fights with the LM others have had they throw them away because I had already been using “good” progressives for over 30 years from everyone else that made them.

PS. Please post photos of the reloading room with hundreds of thousands of dollars of reloading equipment in it.

I would actually advise NOT to post pics of your reloading room .. Some might be on here cruising for info that you do not want out

sparky45
01-17-2018, 10:51 AM
I'll say that the LM is an adequate press for loading pistol and not so good for rifle, at least in my experience. I have owned at least one of each Lee press(s) made and my favorite is a LCC Turret press. Ive sense culled the flock so to speak and presently only have 4 presses left, not a single one of them a Lee. Not because I didn't like them, just because I don't load as much as I used to. Now I have (2) RCBS Rock Chuckers, Redding T-7 (did have two of those but my grandson has one now), and a Dillon 650 with casefeeder. Dillon gets the least attention these days.
Got a LLM running extremely well and dedicated to .380 and she almost never had a hiccup, once I got her tuned up with Magic Mike's after market kits, a real pleasure to run. I had a total of (4) LLM's at one time and tinkered with all of them. If I was to get back into the LLM, it would be by following the "rules of engagement" as expressed by those who make them sing (jmorris, magic mike, ect.).

kmw1954
01-17-2018, 11:41 AM

I believe the sentence was, hundreds to thousands, not hundreds of.
I have seen a number of photos of benches that have a few thousand dollars worth of Dillons sitting on them. In my wildest dreams I couldn't picture me getting to the point of needing that much equipment.

NoZombies
01-17-2018, 12:17 PM
I've owned several over the last decade, as well as other brands of progressives. The loadmasters weren't the worst I've used, but I never had a great experience with them either. The priming system was always the big issue, they've improved it over the life of the press, but every time I upgraded, I was again disappointed. I haven't tried the newest update to the priming system, call it frustration, or perhaps complacency. I've got other presses that work, so the loadmaster sits in a box. I need to dig it out and sell it one of these days.

LittleLebowski
01-17-2018, 06:56 PM
I would actually advise NOT to post pics of your reloading room .. Some might be on here cruising for info that you do not want out

I sincerely doubt that there is anyone on earth cruising Cast Boolits for EXIF data in order to do harm to forum members.

fcvan
01-17-2018, 07:21 PM
I don't have a dog in this fight, I fon't own a progressive press. I have used Dillons and Lee 1000s, but I started loading single stage on a Pacific 'C' press. I had a Rock Chucker that I never used (bequeathed to me) which I in turn passed on to a friend just starting. I began loading with the older Lee Turret press as I like the ease in switching calibers. I still load 'single stage style' by sizing everything, priming everything, and then charge/seat/crimp 50 at a time. It works for me. I listen to sports/news/music and keep some iced tea on hand. It is about personal preference. The only 'extravagant' expense for me is having identical setups (casting too) in 2 states as I have several houses where I split my time. I don't have doubles of all my molds, just the more common ones I use more regularly. Again, it is personal preference. I never thought this thread would turn into "Great Taste/Less Filling" style of comments. I did once consider powder coating one of my turret presses blue just to confuse my Dillon buddies :)

jmorris
01-17-2018, 09:06 PM
I believe the sentence was, hundreds to thousands, not hundreds of.

Misread, I was hoping to see the room next to this one.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=212084&d=1516237566

RobS
01-17-2018, 10:10 PM
Figure out the kinks of a LM press and they can be good presses. After figuring out how one works and setting up several others for friends I actually traded a Dillon 550 for a LM and a Ruger Blackhawk because the person said the press was a ***. Long story short I loaded thousands of rounds on that press then gave it to a friend and he is still loading on it.

The original priming system was temperamental and required a solid mount and full strokes of the press. The newer priming systems are much better but do better with a solid press mount. Not saying that LM is for everyone as they are not and simple as that. If you like to tinker a bit and read to improve a few things on the press then a LM works just fine.

May I suggest for those looking into a LoadMaster:
http://loadmastervideos.com/

To each their own.

kmw1954
01-17-2018, 11:18 PM
jmorris I figured you did. That is quite a collection is that a museum?

I have seen the new model Turret and the new model Pro1000. They are nice with some nice improvements though that still is not enough to make me upgrade from what I already have.

As best as I can figure I spend about $400.00 per year on reloading supplies which includes, primers, powders and bullets. So I don't feel any need to go bigger than I already have. Both the Lee Turret and the Lee Pro1000 can more than keep up with my needs. Also just did a quick inventory of my equipment of which most was purchased used. I have tooling to load for 380acp, 9mm, 38Spl, 357mag and soon 45acp. The new 45 dies are on their way and for now are the only rounds I cannot do in the Pro1000 because I don't have a shell plate for it. So including the 2 presses, powder measures, beam scale and manuals I estimate I have less than $300.00 invested in my equipment. So I have purchased all this for less than the price of a single Dillon or Hornady press with one set of dies.
Lastly, at 64 years of age I doubt very much that I will ever wear this stuff out.

I am not a big fan of telling others how they need to spend their money. I can make suggestions and then it up to them. If they take my suggestion, great. If not well that great too.

jmorris
01-18-2018, 09:12 AM
I don’t know exactly, someone sent me photos of the room years ago reported to be Charlton Heston’s vault/home Snopes says it’s Bruce Stern’s, if you google “charlton heston gun room”.

I don’t tell folks how to spend money much either, heck my wife has more money in shoes, cloths and purses than I do in reloading gear and I have seen boxes go to goodwill with clothes that still had tags on them.

That said I don’t mind using the finest equipment even though I don’t need to.

kmw1954
01-18-2018, 10:11 AM
That said I don’t mind using the finest equipment even though I don’t need to.

No quarrel with that either. If a person is in the position to do that then that is great.

I got back into this after going into retirement/disability so funds were/are limited. One of the reasons for coming back is that I have been spending more and longer times away in hospitals leaving the wife alone. I wanted her to be able to defend herself, even with deadly force if the need arose. Just last year alone I had 2 extended stays in the hospital. So far her shooting skills have improved greatly and she just recently purchased herself another new Springfield XD, this one in 45acp.

jamesp81
01-18-2018, 11:26 AM
I'm really enjoying my LCT, but kicking around the idea of a progressive, and maybe a new Loadmaster

Obviously they get mixed reviews, but it seems like I've read that the newer versions have less issues. Are they worth trying with some of the fixes and mods out there? Just trying to get a sense of how likely it's just going to be a pita.

My opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it.

The LCT is, by far, the best press Lee ever made and one of the best period. I am giving serious consideration to selling my Hornady LnL AP setup entirely and going back to an LCT. It's reasonably fast, and it works with minimal drama. I cannot say the same for the LnL AP. Maybe Dillon is better, but I'm not built out of hundred dollar bills and gold bars either.

My LnL AP has been a plagued mess since day one. I won't itemize it's legion of issues here, not the thread for it.

FWIW, if I do go back to the LCT I'll be doing some of the aftermarket mods Inline Fab makes for it. Namely the auto ejector, and I'll be using a tube based bullet feeders from socalsw.com. At this point my only hand motions besides pulling the handle are inserting a case and activating the primer feed to place a primer in the primer ram. What I'd like to do is figure out how to get the primer feed tube mechanism from the Hornady LnL single stage to work with the LCT to feed the ram automatically. At that point you just put cases in it and pull the handle 4x to get a loaded cartridge.

jmort
01-18-2018, 11:49 AM
Agree, the Classic Turret is a great press.

jmorris
01-18-2018, 09:07 PM
I do think the LCT is the best value out there.

Firebricker
01-18-2018, 09:29 PM
I had a load master several years ago. The two issues I had were the priming system and the auto indexing. Now as several have mentioned the priming system has been updated. With mine it was the plastic piece that fed the primer. I thought if it was metal it might have worked better. The auto indexing was giving me problems too. It was clever how it worked. If I remember correct it some how used the frame to rotate the shell plate. Sorry for the poor description. It took some tinkering on set up but that I do not mind. The case feed was really simple and worked well. You dumped them in shook it and it filled the tubes. The primer system and indexing pushed me to a 550 . So if they fixed those two things who knows I might have kept it. So my advise would be to watch some of the videos on them and watch them working. And make your decision from there. Good luck with which ever decision you make on it. FB

slim1836
01-18-2018, 10:12 PM
I have always been a single stage reloader and am fine with that as I don't shoot as much as I'd like.

Recently, A friend gave me a Loadmaster and as a progressive noob immediately ran into so many issues that I won't elaborate on them. However, I considered this a challenge and have since worked them out one by one thanks to research. I am still tweaking the machine but it is now dedicated to reloading .45's. Since I don't have deep pockets and the .45's are for plinking this machine will do fine. I have not been spoiled by all the extra add-on features or high dollar machines (yet) but if Publishers Clearinghouse finds me I may reconsider. If it weren't given to me I'd never had tried a progressive. It's been fun, and challenging.

Slim

jmorris
01-18-2018, 10:33 PM
The two issues I had were the priming system and the auto indexing.

The auto indexing was my main issue with it, the “flipper” seemed cheesy, for lack of a better word, after having used about every other system on other presses. Once I wrapped my head around what they were trying to do, with new parts and a little help on contact points, it worked well.

kmw1954
01-18-2018, 11:27 PM
Slim1836 if it was a free gift then by all means bolt it down and fool with it you have nothing to loose but some time and sanity. Have fun with it. Sounds as if you already are. Next I would suggest that if you need small replacement parts for it use Titan Reloading. I was absolutely impressed with the service and their pricing.

wdfwguy
01-20-2018, 10:18 PM
I do really like my LCT, and I was hoping the LM might just be a faster version of that. Although, it sounds like a completely different animal.

The negative reviews are enough to keep me from getting one. I just don't want something I have to constantly tinker with to keep it running. I'd like to load more ammo, faster, but be as close to plug and play as possible.

After doing some more reading, maybe a Dillon 550 might be a better choice.

kmw1954
01-20-2018, 10:37 PM
It certainly does sound like you've done the legwork to make an informed decision. The 550 is a very nice press and worth the investment though as I stated earlier I went a different way with the Pro1000. It falls more inline with the Dillon Square Deal press than the 550 and I have been able to load on it very well. There are many less moving parts or adjustments with this press than the LM or the Hornady LNL. If I wasn't so tied up into this press with turrets, carriers and shell plates I would seriously be looking at the new updated model of the Pro1000.

BigBore45
01-20-2018, 11:13 PM
They are the best press for the money by far. I would say I got a loadmaster in my bench and a 550b sitting under my bench in a box after I got the loadmaster.

Lloyd Smale
01-21-2018, 06:40 AM
lol I have to see pictures to believe that one. Ill make you a deal. You send me that piece of junk 550 collecting dust and ill send you another BRAND NEW LOADMASTER.
They are the best press for the money by far. I would say I got a loadmaster in my bench and a 550b sitting under my bench in a box after I got the loadmaster.

RobS
01-21-2018, 06:26 PM
Who cares..........if it works for some and not for others then it is what it is. I liked the Dillon 550 however never regret the decision to trade the Dillon to someone who thought the LM was a *** because I ended up with a Ruger BH in addition to a LM press which I could tune to work as well as a Dillon.

zomby woof
01-21-2018, 07:03 PM
Typo? Different press? The Lee LoadMaster hasn't been around for 30 years.

Well, introduced 1992, I guess we'll get there soon enough, in 4 more years.

Really? I guess it just feels like 30 years. Ha

FabMan
01-21-2018, 09:48 PM
My LM’s are dedicated to .45ACP and 9mm. Mount them solid and know how they work. Keep the primer system clean with compressed air and watch the primers coming down the chute. Works great. My 550 was sold to my brother. I can load faster on the LM’s. Rifle rounds are loaded on the LCT.

MyFlatline
01-21-2018, 10:05 PM
I keep seeing people say that their press is set for one caliber....That just don't make since. I see that the Dillons are set specific and now the LM's. All my presses are set to do both rifle and pistol calibers..Maybe that is why I am having such a hard time grasping the brand dedication..I want a useful tool for any function.

Kenstone
01-21-2018, 11:30 PM
I keep seeing people say that their press is set for one caliber....That just don't make since. I see that the Dillons are set specific and now the LM's. All my presses are set to do both rifle and pistol calibers..Maybe that is why I am having such a hard time grasping the brand dedication..I want a useful tool for any function.

The Lee Pro 1000s are sold/marketed/setup for one caliber, come with everything needed to load that caliber, and even has a case feeder :wink:
You don't even need a scale when using the included Auto Disc powder measure, but it is recommended for verification/peace of mind.
They can be changed-over/converted, but at about $180 why would you :rolleyes:

kmw1954
01-22-2018, 01:43 AM
The Lee Pro 1000s are sold/marketed/setup for one caliber, comes with everything needed to load that caliber, and even has a case feeder :wink:
You don't even need a scale when using the included Auto Disc powder measure, but it is recommended for verification/peace of mind.
They can be changed-over/converted, but at about $180 why would you :rolleyes:

Not sure if I should take this post seriously or if it was all meant tongue-in-cheek?

Let's see the Pro1000 can be purchased separately as can any of the other presses by Lee. Yes it can be purchased "set-up" with a caliber of your choice as can the Lee Load Master. Don't need a scale? Not buying it by any means. Wouldn't catch me loading anything w/o a scale on the bench.

Pro1000 Can be changed over to another caliber, sure it can and those that can afford it or have the room to do it could easily add individual presses for each caliber they load and never have to change a thing. For the rest of us I can change over for just the cost of a shell plate and a set of dies. In Lee product terms that amounts to $30.00 for a set of dies and $15.00 for a shell plate if purchased from a site sponsor here Titan Reloading. Other costs involved, large and small primer parts and a shell pusher for large of small case which again are minimal costs.

The primer parts could possibly be eliminated because from listening to many of you here no one primes on their press anyways.

jmorris
01-22-2018, 10:37 AM
I want a useful tool for any function.

Having a dozen progressives so one can sit down and start loading any one of a dozen different loads with zero setup time doesn’t make them any less functional than if the guy sold 11 of them and spent time converting the one he had left every session.

Kenstone
01-22-2018, 01:39 PM
Not sure if I should take this post seriously or if it was all meant tongue-in-cheek?

Let's see the Pro1000 can be purchased separately as can any of the other presses by Lee. Yes it can be purchased "set-up" with a caliber of your choice as can the Lee Load Master. Don't need a scale? Not buying it by any means. Wouldn't catch me loading anything w/o a scale on the bench.

Pro1000 Can be changed over to another caliber, sure it can and those that can afford it or have the room to do it could easily add individual presses for each caliber they load and never have to change a thing. For the rest of us I can change over for just the cost of a shell plate and a set of dies. In Lee product terms that amounts to $30.00 for a set of dies and $15.00 for a shell plate if purchased from a site sponsor here Titan Reloading. Other costs involved, large and small primer parts and a shell pusher for large of small case which again are minimal costs.

The primer parts could possibly be eliminated because from listening to many of you here no one primes on their press anyways.

Thanks for reading my post and commenting on it.
Certainly NOT tongue-in-cheek...

I've never seen a Pro 1000 listed separately without dies/powder-measure/shell-plate at Titan. https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-precision-reloading-equipment/lee-presses/lee-pro-1000

I'm with you on needing a scale and mentioned it.

Yes, a Pro 1000 can be changed over, I mentioned that too. (I'd include the $9 turret in change over cost if it were me tho)
Change-over on other presses can be way more expensive, costing up to/over $100, and still not have a case feeder.

Yes, I can afford it, grew up poor, and changed that in adulthood, but old habits die hard.

I don't have a lot of room, load in a 38" wide closet under some stairs, with only 1 press on the bench, 3-4 others on a rack on the wall.
Bench is 38" long/wide, all presses have a common mounting plate with the same bolt pattern.

You're not listening to me, I prime on all 4 of my progressive presses, but rarely change over from small to large or large to small.

I guess we can agree on different strokes for different folks...
I love the diversity of reloading methods/equipment/etc.

kmw1954
01-22-2018, 02:49 PM
Kenstone, I take no issue with what you say, just trying to clarify your feelings so we are on the same page.

I comment all the time that this hobby is only limited by ones imagination, budget, space or degree of interest. I did just go into both Titan and Lee website to look again and it appears that some changes have been made since I've last looked. Some of it may be because of the "New" upgraded presses that lee has brought out. I also noticed that the parts that used to be listed to upgrade the old 3 hole press are also no longer listed.

Yes the extra turrets are handy but ultimately they are not needed, just makes things easier and quicker for sure. Heck one really doesn't even need a powder measure to reload even with a progressive. With the Lee die it could still be done with dippers and a funnel. Slow but could be done.

Also my comment on priming wasn't directed at you as it was to all those in any post regarding priming that insist that priming on the press is either a waste of time or is unsafe. They are certainly entitled to that opinion even though it is not the opinion of all others.

kmw1954
01-22-2018, 02:54 PM
Thanks for reading my post and commenting on it.
Certainly NOT tongue-in-cheek...

I don't have a lot of room, load in a 38" wide closet under some stairs, with only 1 press on the bench, 3-4 others on a rack on the wall.
Bench is 38" long/wide, all presses have a common mounting plate with the same bolt pattern.:

I seem to recall talking with you about your room under the stairs! So did you get it finished? Sounds like it.

Kenstone
01-22-2018, 04:57 PM
I seem to recall talking with you about your room under the stairs! So did you get it finished? Sounds like it.
haha...always a work in progress, but remember, I'm coming from a loading cabinet, so It's actually more room in the closet.

BigBore45
01-22-2018, 05:22 PM
lol I have to see pictures to believe that one. Ill make you a deal. You send me that piece of junk 550 collecting dust and ill send you another BRAND NEW LOADMASTER.

why wouldnt i set the 550B under the bench when my loadmaster changes calibers faster, cheaper to set up new calibers and puts out about 200 rds per hour more?

i had the 550 set up for 45 acp, bought it that way. well i have 16 calibers now and i would of been an extra $1000 in the hole atleast if i set that 550 up for all of them, so i made a choice to switch to the loadmaster. what a good call on my part saved tons of money and load way faster with faster switch over time. and i love the way you load the primer tray absolute slickest thing i have ever seen.

slim1836
01-22-2018, 08:48 PM
I found a YouTube video that was interesting where cell phone vibrators were installed on a LM on the primer and the powder feeds. This could be used on any progressive press and was not expensive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3ekMb3C0Wg

Slim

Lloyd Smale
01-23-2018, 06:57 AM
I made you an offer. Enough said. If you truly love that loadmaster why wouldn't you want a second one vs looking at a press collecting dust under your bench. Just for grins lets see a picture of that press resting under your bench. :popcorn:
why wouldnt i set the 550B under the bench when my loadmaster changes calibers faster, cheaper to set up new calibers and puts out about 200 rds per hour more?

i had the 550 set up for 45 acp, bought it that way. well i have 16 calibers now and i would of been an extra $1000 in the hole atleast if i set that 550 up for all of them, so i made a choice to switch to the loadmaster. what a good call on my part saved tons of money and load way faster with faster switch over time. and i love the way you load the primer tray absolute slickest thing i have ever seen.

wdfwguy
01-23-2018, 10:15 AM
I love the internet. As soon as I decide the LM sounds like too much trouble, the Loadmaster is better than a Dillon and it's everyone's most beloved reloading press.

:wink:

Too late for me, I have a 550c on the way from Graf's...

jmorris
01-23-2018, 10:23 AM

If you don’t use it, why not get rid of it for another LM or two or three?

BigBore45
01-23-2018, 10:43 AM
I made you an offer. Enough said. If you truly love that loadmaster why wouldn't you want a second one vs looking at a press collecting dust under your bench. Just for grins lets see a picture of that press resting under your bench. :popcorn:

Ok. I'll take pics when I get home from work. I'll even throw in a bonus pic or two.

BigBore45
01-23-2018, 10:44 AM
If you don’t use it, why not get rid of it for another LM or two or three?

It has sentimental value and also have plans to make a case prep setup with it.

kmw1954
01-23-2018, 02:02 PM
My opinion is irrelevant as all my equipment was purchased used and I have no intention of upgrading to new equipment anytime soon.

Though my general observation from watching ebay auctions almost daily is this;

Dillon progressive presses.
SBD are generally available in varying degrees of completeness and condition though one might have to wait for the correct caliber or change over.
550 Presses seem to be more commonly available, again in varying degrees of completeness or condition. Usually 2-3 always up for auction
450 can be found on occasion
650 very rarely seen on ebay

Hornady progressive presses are few and rarely complete.

Lee progressives and turret presses.
3 hole turret press are common and condition varies greatly as does the extras that are included.
4 hole Value turret about the same as the 3 hole.
4 hole Classic Cast Turret not as common but do show up used
Pro1000 availability varies, at times they cannot be found while other times they everywhere and again the condition and completeness varies greatly
LoadMaster Not as common used as the Pro1000 and usually not complete

RCBS progressive are seen so seldom that when they do show up I don't even notice.

So what this all means I have no idea or even if it means anything.

wdfwguy
01-23-2018, 02:16 PM
Just doing a quick search of completed auctions on eBay, I didn't find the same results that you're reporting...

kmw1954
01-23-2018, 03:18 PM
Just doing a quick search of completed auctions on eBay, I didn't find the same results that you're reporting...

So what did you find different? Again those are just my observation w/o compiling any data or notes.

bgw45
01-23-2018, 04:20 PM
There's a lot to be said of those with the skills to make the LM run. I'm not one of those guys. Tried and failed. Off to Blue I went and have no issues with my 3 Dillon presses. Set up properly they run reliably. I just didn't have the insight or patience. So, hats off to those that are successful.

toallmy
01-23-2018, 05:22 PM
I have more problems priming on my 550 then my loadmaster :confused: , ' but it's just because I keep forgetting to push the handle forward '. Use what you got but don't be afraid to explore your options I thought I was in heaven when I started charging brass with a little dandy powder measure over a loading block .

Kenstone
01-23-2018, 10:20 PM
OK, 4 pages in I have to ask, what constitutes the "NEW" Loadmaster?
At Titan I've read of the updates to the 2018 Pro 1000 being an index pin/steel base and primers exiting thru the ram, but nothing in the way of up-grades to the Load Master...
So what are the changes to the New Loadmaster and when will/did it happen?
just askin'

iomskp
01-23-2018, 11:20 PM
I do not know anything about the loadmaster, my first press was a lee 1000 progressive press, at the time they were pretty new to the market and the hell I went through with that press it put me off progressive presses until recent times, the only way I could use the old lee 1000 was to hand index, I hope the new ones are better.

kmw1954
01-24-2018, 01:06 AM
OK, 4 pages in I have to ask, what constitutes the "NEW" Loadmaster?
So what are the changes to the New Loadmaster and when will/did it happen?
just askin'

Honestly I cannot answer that question or even if there is an answer. All I know is that even for me and my patience and mechanical ability the LoadMaster is too finicky for me and came to that conclusion before I even bought a press. Too many items that need attention and adjustment when compared to the Lee Pro1000 or even the Dillon SDB.

Lloyd Smale
01-24-2018, 06:56 AM
you wont regret it. I wouldn't be without one.
I love the internet. As soon as I decide the LM sounds like too much trouble, the Loadmaster is better than a Dillon and it's everyone's most beloved reloading press.

:wink:

Too late for me, I have a 550c on the way from Graf's...

Lloyd Smale
01-24-2018, 07:02 AM
Ive been mass loading 223 for the last few days on my blanket blank lnl and although its in a different league then the lees its case feeder must be produced by satan himself! I was sure dumb buying two of them when they were giving away a 1000 bullets with them. The bullets are long gone and the smartest thing I could have ever done was to buy a 650 instead. Now I got so much wrapped up into coversions and extra powder measures and bushings that I could never get anything close to my money back out of them. Ive loaded about 3k in the last couple days and after the second day I started feeding it by hand. Case feeders for them seem to do fairly well with handgun rounds but tall rifle cases are a royal pain!

Lloyd Smale
01-24-2018, 07:07 AM
still waiting and I have a loadmaster in my cart on midway just waiting for the trade:popcorn: No brainer! You can have a "SUPERIOR" press for the cost of shipping. Heck id send you the 25 bucks it would cost to ship!
Ok. I'll take pics when I get home from work. I'll even throw in a bonus pic or two.

BigBore45
01-24-2018, 01:37 PM
Well i took pics of every reloading item i have but my casting equipment because its in my shop and im not digging it out. unless you try to call me out on not casting boolits. this is gonna be pic heavy. also you will notice to the addition of the 550-b i have a 1050 or 650 dont remember after 6 years and dont really care. set up for 45acp that i used for about a month, got it at an auction. sets in my storage shed and i just moved the 550 out there after the pics because i dont need it to make good ammo fast.

21262521262621262521262721262721262821262921263021 2631212632212633

BigBore45
01-24-2018, 01:37 PM

BigBore45
01-24-2018, 01:38 PM
212639 1050 or 650 i dont even remember thats been 6 years ago

BigBore45
01-24-2018, 01:39 PM
212640 loadmaster setup on bench...... i know ur shocked. maybe you should try one

BigBore45
01-24-2018, 01:39 PM
almost for got the powder/primer rack212641

BigBore45
01-24-2018, 01:44 PM
Lloyd Smale so anyways. dillion 1050 or 650 hey maybe u could tell me what i have.?.? lol jezz i dont like blue koolaid. anyway not in use due to to0 much cost and headache to switch calibers. 550b on floor due to time and cost to switch calibers. old pacific shell loader, getting ready to upgrade to a grabber in pic. gonna leave the pacific for buck and slug loading. good old lee loadmaster my go to press for fast caliber switches and cheap adding of new calibers and 500-600 rds per hour!!. to date i would look at my load log and we are at around 26k loaded on the loadmaster, no major problems to date. not to mention it loads awesome. best press per dollar by far no question!!!, good old lee classic turret press odd rifle loading and small volume loading. good old lee single stage for odd stuff and bullet sizing. and all the componets one needs to shoot at my level and volume. if u are upset about not showing the casting equipment i will have it out in the next month as i need to cast up some more lee keydrives. i also cast my own bird shot!.

Edit: nothing is for sale or trade at the moment. sorry.

BigBore45
01-24-2018, 02:03 PM
still waiting and I have a loadmaster in my cart on midway just waiting for the trade:popcorn: No brainer! You can have a "SUPERIOR" press for the cost of shipping. Heck id send you the 25 bucks it would cost to ship!

not for sale. it has sentimental value to me. also had plans for a case prep station someday...... anyway i dont need another loadmaster why would i when i can change calibers for cheap and in 5 mins or less. its not gonna break on me either. im well off enough if i wanted another loadmaster i could get one. but thanks for the offer.

if people cannot get the newer style loadmaster to run as good an LNL or even a 550b im shocked especially rds per hour wise. i dunno about an older model... maybe im just very mechanically inclined? maybe i can channel mr. lee when i set the loadmaster up? who knows. im not the only one to get them to run great i do know that. anyways. i have wasted a good hour of my life on this so i think im done for the afternoon.

And to others: is this sorta a mic drop moment?[smilie=s::popcorn::razz:.

jmort
01-24-2018, 02:10 PM
It makes no sense to have to post pictures of anything. Hopefully now this matter is settled as it seems to be proven as a fact beyond dispute
Nice yellow stickies
Hopefully less chest thumping moving forward
You put up, now it is time to ....

BigBore45
01-24-2018, 02:16 PM
It makes no sense to have to post pictures of anything. Hopefully now this matter is settled as it seems to be proven as a fact beyond dispute
Nice yellow stickies
Hopefully less chest thumping moving forward
You put up, now it is time to ....

lol im done. hints the mic drop comment:wink:

BigBore45
01-24-2018, 03:14 PM
Oh one last thing I wanted to add. To the op. I seen u got a 550. Good for you, they are a good press. Just not what I was looking for for reasons/downfalls that I have stated. You will not be disappointed in it by any means.
Wish you the best of luck in your reloading ventures.

wdfwguy
01-24-2018, 05:26 PM
Oh one last thing I wanted to add. To the op. I seen u got a 550. Good for you, they are a good press. Just not what I was looking for for reasons/downfalls that I have stated. You will not be disappointed in it by any means.
Wish you the best of luck in your reloading ventures.

Thanks, I can't wait to get it set up this weekend!

And I'm not trying to bad mouth the LM. I've never used one, and I thought I sounded like an inexpensive alternative. It just seems to me that a higher percentage of users have issues with them compared to some other progressives. I'm glad to hear you like yours.

dverna
01-24-2018, 06:00 PM
For a guy who worries about the cost of caliber changes, it makes no sense to let a used 550 and 1050 sit in a shed and rust away. That is a lot of value going to waste.

I understand sedimental reasons for holding on to things. I have my first .22 my dad gave me over 55 years ago. Those Dillons must have some treasured memories for you.

Good luck to you BB45.

BigBore45
01-24-2018, 06:34 PM
Thanks!

i dont worry about the cost as much as using that as a +1 for the LM. and at the time of this LM or 550 setup decision i was starting my business and was not as well of as i am now.

But i do have experience with them all and was sharing. i think the LM gets an unfair bashing most of the time because it is attractive to novice loaders or at least novice to progressives. Kinda like if someone drive a manual for the first time and they hate that vehicle, then the next manual drives almost the same way but they got it figured out by then.

they by no means are rusting away.
i run my own HVAC company and the shed is climate controlled.
i even took a bit of rust inhibitor and sprayed them down after i took pics:wink:

fcvan
01-24-2018, 07:24 PM
My Lee turret press has a left handed case feeder (right hand pulls the handle) :)

toallmy
01-24-2018, 07:24 PM
I'm shore you will love your Dillon 550 also , sturdy well built simple to set up and operate + the warranty . May I suggest staring slow in your loading , take your time with the setup and load small batches of ammo . When loading take the time to slowly look at each thing that has happened in all the stations every time , this could save you a lot of aggravation . A few rounds to test is easier to correct a possible issues , rather than having a thousand rounds you should disassemble for safety reasons . Besides you can play with your new toy more often .

Lloyd Smale
01-25-2018, 08:07 AM
I have to apologize and my jaw is about on the floor. Why a guy would have a 1050 and a 550 sitting under the bench and then actually buy a Loadmaster is beyond the comprehension of about 90 percent of the people on this fourm. Most of the ones that use lees use them because of cost and would surely use a 550 or 1050 if they had them or would at least sell them and buy something else they wanted. then I guess some love the challenge of making a Yugo keep going down the road too. You said you have sentimental attackment to that 550. id make you the same deal on that piece of junk 1050. As a matter of fact id send you two promasters. It kind of sounds like you haven't even tried the 1050. Don't you realize its probably the best progressive press ever made and is even used by commercial businesses to produce ammo to sell. Its almost sacrilegious to let one collect dust! Do you realize you have a grand sitting there if you cleaned it up??? Are you so well off that you couldn't find use for a grand to buy casting and loading stuff if you refuse to give it a try (because if you did youd never look back) I have lots of loading and casting gear and allways wanted a 1050 but its priced to high for me to afford. To let one sit wasting is almost a crime. Also if that 550 is really a press that has sentimental value to it id about bet the man that gave it to you is rolling over in his grave knowing its sitting and theres red on your bench:veryconfu Don't take any of this personal. I didn't design Dillon presses and could care less what someone else thinks of them. I do again apologize though because I would have about bet my house that no one would have a 550 under the bench and a lee on it let alone a 1050!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

Lloyd Smale
01-25-2018, 08:21 AM
heres a couple pics of mine. Pics are a bit old theres 2 550s the non case fed lnl is gone now and the tv has been replaced by a flat screen:bigsmyl2: [/ATTACH]212694212695212698212699212700212698

nun2kute
01-25-2018, 08:32 AM
I had a loadmaster for a few years and started on my dads pro 1000 and would greatly recommend the pro 1000 and crimp on a single stage if you really need to crimp as a separate step. The loadmaster is a third the press my 650 is at half the price the pro 1000 is better than half the press at a third the price.

....... Who's on First ?????

BigBore45
01-25-2018, 09:44 AM
Well I know what I have setting there. I have plans for both. But you know the loadmaster is working flawlessly for me and I'm awful busy with small kids to be tinkering in the reloading area without making ammo. I'm sure once the kids are a bit older that 1050 and 550 will be up an running as a dedicated pistol caliber press. I assure you that loadmaster will be there holding its own.

jmort
01-25-2018, 10:10 AM
Why do people care who does whatever they want with their own stuff??? The nanny mentality is rude and obnoxious. This Lee Derangement Syndrom is tedious, and this nonsense posted herein is just beyond the pale. I have two 550s that I like, but mostly I use the two Classic Turrets in single stage mode. I have two A2s and a Big Max and then some. I wish I had the mad skills of jmorris and a fleet of 1050s looks impressive, but I don't have the skill and don't want a 1050. My choice, my life. I enjoy seeing what everyone is doing, exactly what they want and how they want. I get zero pleasure or enjoyment telling them how to do what they want to do and how they are wrong about it. Lee Derangement Syndrom is different from making suggestions and leaving it at that.

BigBore45
01-25-2018, 10:55 AM
I agree. People can do as they please with what they have. It's America after all.

The choice to use a LM over a 550 is pretty strait forward. More rounds per hour and lower tool up cost per caliber and switching calibers if a primer size is involved is faster on the LM.

Using a LM over a 1050 is borderline insane if all else is equal. But I have the loadmaster setup for 16 calibers. Do you realize the cost to have 15 setups for that 1050? Also the switchover time on that 1050 is crazy. So here is where I'm at. Ymmv. All presses have quirks and they all can work well.

BigBore45
01-25-2018, 11:06 AM
I have to apologize and my jaw is about on the floor. Why a guy would have a 1050 and a 550 sitting under the bench and then actually buy a Loadmaster is beyond the comprehension of about 90 percent of the people on this fourm. Most of the ones that use lees use them because of cost and would surely use a 550 or 1050 if they had them or would at least sell them and buy something else they wanted. then I guess some love the challenge of making a Yugo keep going down the road too. You said you have sentimental attackment to that 550. id make you the same deal on that piece of junk 1050. As a matter of fact id send you two promasters. It kind of sounds like you haven't even tried the 1050. Don't you realize its probably the best progressive press ever made and is even used by commercial businesses to produce ammo to sell. Its almost sacrilegious to let one collect dust! Do you realize you have a grand sitting there if you cleaned it up??? Are you so well off that you couldn't find use for a grand to buy casting and loading stuff if you refuse to give it a try (because if you did youd never look back) I have lots of loading and casting gear and allways wanted a 1050 but its priced to high for me to afford. To let one sit wasting is almost a crime. Also if that 550 is really a press that has sentimental value to it id about bet the man that gave it to you is rolling over in his grave knowing its sitting and theres red on your bench:veryconfu Don't take any of this personal. I didn't design Dillon presses and could care less what someone else thinks of them. I do again apologize though because I would have about bet my house that no one would have a 550 under the bench and a lee on it let alone a 1050!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

First off they are not wasting away. They are in a climate controlled building. Second I truly find the LM superior to the 550 in 3 aspects cost, rounds per hour, and switchover time.
After getting the 2 quirks I had with the loadmaster ironed out (took a total of 1 hour). It has worked as reliably as the 550 for me. I have loaded thousands of rounds on both.

I never called any press junk btw. Dillon makes a good press. And so does lee.
I applaud the apology as it takes some good character to do so. However I feel somewhat off about the implication that I'm in some sorta weird 10% of forum population because I load ammo fast and of quality. I don't think anyone would argue or find it off just because the press is red instead of blue.

I used the 1050. It is a nice press. I just haven't a need when the loadmaster is there. If I shot 10k a month of 45 acp you'd bet ur butt that 1050 would be on the bench right now.

BigBore45
01-25-2018, 11:29 AM
I also feel obligated to say for anyone reading this to have all of my truthful info. the 550 has some edges over the LM. I believe it is a smoother press out of the box. The loadmaster requires a break in if you will before it smoothes out. The priming system is a bit more reliable out of the box on the 550 and does require attention on the loadmaster. Up until the new lee powder drum the old disk dropper sucked compared to dillion powder dropper. Now I would interchange one with the other and it would not be noticed.

ranger391xt
01-25-2018, 01:03 PM
@BigBore45 - can you share any of your secrets for addressing priming issues? The main issue I face is primers that seem to go down the ram and I end up with an unprimed case. I've done the smoothing of the primer trough and try to keep the priming system clean, but it still seems that I drop a couple or so per hundred rounds. The press has a solid mount so I don't think I'm dropping them for that reason.

I have three of the LM's and I've replaced primer trough assemblies on all of them. Some of the replacements have worked better than others. No two replacements have been the same in that either the slider arm is a different color (2 different shades of gray and one black) or the numbers molded into the plastic are different. That makes me think Lee continues to tweak the design of the priming system on the LM.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

BigBore45
01-25-2018, 01:17 PM
@BigBore45 - can you share any of your secrets for addressing priming issues? The main issue I face is primers that seem to go down the ram and I end up with an unprimed case. I've done the smoothing of the primer trough and try to keep the priming system clean, but it still seems that I drop a couple or so per hundred rounds. The press has a solid mount so I don't think I'm dropping them for that reason.

I have three of the LM's and I've replaced primer trough assemblies on all of them. Some of the replacements have worked better than others. No two replacements have been the same in that either the slider arm is a different color (2 different shades of gray and one black) or the numbers molded into the plastic are different. That makes me think Lee continues to tweak the design of the priming system on the LM.

Well if you notice on the frame of the press on the back side of the priming system. It hits two little casting bumps on the way up and on the way down. This shakes the priming assemble. I added 1/8" to those bumps with jb weld. Also I run 120-130 primers in my tray at start. Or another way of saying it is I never run light on the chute running to the delivery. I refill primer tray the first time I see a space in the slot on top of the chute. Try those two in conjunction and see if it helps. I'll add pics later. I cannot do it on my phone for some reason I have to email them to myself and download via computer.

I have never had a problem with them going down the ram. Is the press level?

1bluehorse
01-25-2018, 01:50 PM
Ranger, not wanting to hi-jack this entertaining thread so if you send me a PM I will give you some "fixes" for the LM priming system. In the past I've owned several LM's off and on and was able to get them running very well, they kinda have always intrigued me the way they operate. I do not own any now, sold the last two I had last year, also sold the Dillon I had as I was "downsizing" my equipment. I'm left with a RCBS Pro 2000, a Forster Co-Ax and a Lee classic cast SS. The Co-Ax gets the most attention these days. :bigsmyl2: Would be glad to assist you in any way I can.

salpal48
01-25-2018, 02:33 PM
I found Out. It no longer Wise to bash Lee. The lee people will come Out and picket your home or Seal your Dog. So It try To keep my Opinion to myself.
The only Think i can say In good faith. Lee is the Poor man's Dillon, and Dillon is the Poor Man's STAR

ranger391xt
01-25-2018, 04:23 PM
Well if you notice on the frame of the press on the back side of the priming system. It hits two little casting bumps on the way up and on the way down. This shakes the priming assemble. I added 1/8" to those bumps with jb weld. Also I run 120-130 primers in my tray at start. Or another way of saying it is I never run light on the chute running to the delivery. I refill primer tray the first time I see a space in the slot on top of the chute. Try those two in conjunction and see if it helps. I'll add pics later. I cannot do it on my phone for some reason I have to email them to myself and download via computer.

I have never had a problem with them going down the ram. Is the press level?Yep, press is level. Trough makes good contact with the bumps....although I've had some that did not.

I think this usually happens if I miss turning the case feeder to the next tube and have an empty station on the shell plate. The next case is usually the one that doesn't get primed. Almost like the primer has slide forward and off the primer pin, even though the slider never moved it forward.

Apologies for hi-jacking the thread, but BB45 mentioned priming...

Now, about Sealing someone's Dog that was mentioned in another post...what is that? Guessing the wonderful feature called Autocorrect strikes again...

BigBore45
01-25-2018, 04:46 PM

the way my LM is set up at the priming station i cannot see a way for the primer to go into the ram if its not being jerked around and is level. i would caution to say you may want to check for adequate spring height on the priming ram to primer loading arm as it keeps it up and allows a low spot to hold the primer before or after full up ram.

the only time in the operation it could be moved forward to drop down the ram( full up ram)212747

it is cupped the rest of the stroke up or down.212748

BigBore45
01-25-2018, 04:49 PM
spring to create tension. top of priming assy. should ride on bottom of shell plate with the spring working.212749

This is the cup that holds it in place212750

i could see it walking out if that spring is not holding the assy up against bottom of shellplate.

i really am guessing i have not ran into this problem before.

retread
01-25-2018, 05:28 PM
I guess I am an "equal opportunity" reloader. I have a bit of everything. Dillon 550's, Lee Pro 1000"s, Pacific "C", Texan Turret, CH Magnum "H", RCBS Rockchucker......
All have their uses and positive points. I prefer the Dillon's but have been able to get the Pro 1000's to perform well with some additions and slight modifications. I SS pin wet tumble all my brass so one of the Pro 1000's, is dedicated to decapping, and it is quick! The others I have picked up and modified to give to a couple of friends I am mentoring now. I am teaching the on single stage first before going to the progressives. Right now I have then set up in adjacent rooms but want to consolidate after some new benches are built. The one Pro 1000 is not yet in service. I screwed it to my case cleaning station to keep it from being knocked around.

opos
01-25-2018, 08:07 PM
Guess I'm "bi equipmental"...I don't much care about the color...I load a certain way that has suited me well since the '50s....if a particular bit if equipment suits that way I load it's on or under my bench...if a piece of equipment doesn't work for me I don't own one no matter the color or the mumbo jumbo on the internet. I've been much involved in another hobby (not there now from health circumstances) but it deals with high end sport fishing boats...high end salt water tackle, etc. The thing that seems to be constant there and is here as well...from what I've seen...is that how well something works is often dependent on how proficient the user becomes with the particular item....I load with Lee presses and dies...they do fine for me....hate the rock chucker because of the primer catching situation.....Have had problems with the Lee scales and old powder measures from Lee so I use an RCBS 5-0-5 scale and I use the new Lee autodrum measure.....so whatever item works when I've learned to work it is what I use....I'm cheap and have been satisfied not being a brand snob just because "good stuff must cost more"

there is a toilet seat for every butt.

AnotherNew1
01-25-2018, 11:20 PM
Read all 118 posts. I cant seem to find any information on the "New LoadMaster". I guess i should be following other presses to find out about the LoadMaster? I'm sooooo confused?????

FYI: I just had to dig a "little hole".

Isn't life simply great when we truly have choices ?????

BigBore45
01-25-2018, 11:35 PM
Read all 118 posts. I cant seem to find any information on the "New LoadMaster". I guess i should be following other presses to find out about the LoadMaster? I'm sooooo confused?????

FYI: I just had to dig a "little hole".

Isn't life simply great when we truly have choices ?????

There is no "new" loadmaster they have been updated with a better primer system and I believe the new drum powder measure.

Edit: so the updated "new" loadmaster is better at powder dumping and primer feeding/seating than the first "old" loadmaster. Lol why dig a hole?

ranger391xt
01-25-2018, 11:49 PM
I guess I am an "equal opportunity" reloader. I have a bit of everything. Dillon 550's, Lee Pro 1000"s, Pacific "C", Texan Turret, CH Magnum "H", RCBS Rockchucker......
All have their uses and positive points. I prefer the Dillon's but have been able to get the Pro 1000's to perform well with some additions and slight modifications. I SS pin wet tumble all my brass so one of the Pro 1000's, is dedicated to decapping, and it is quick! The others I have picked up and modified to give to a couple of friends I am mentoring now. I am teaching the on single stage first before going to the progressives. Right now I have then set up in adjacent rooms but want to consolidate after some new benches are built. The one Pro 1000 is not yet in service. I screwed it to my case cleaning station to keep it from being knocked around.

212752212753212754212755212756212757Nice set up. I reloaded 22 hornet on one of those CH 4D presses with my dad when I was a kid....

Lloyd Smale
01-26-2018, 07:30 AM
I could care less what anyone uses to load. It sure doesn't effect me. The reason for my post is theres lots of beginning loaders and loaders that want to step up the first time to a progressive because they just need more ammo. Natural tendency is for them to go cheap. they might just be on the borderline of actually needing a progressive and they don't want to shell out 500 dollars or more. I WAS ONE OF THEM AT ONE TIME. So they (me) buy a pro 1000 or loadmaster and struggle with it and end up selling it for half what they paid for it and step up to a better press or get so discusted they go back to there single stage. Most (not all) of them would have been better off to save a few more months and buy a Dillon to start with.

Say what you want but I don't know of to many competitive shooters that load on lee presses. About all that I know use Dillon stuff. I'm also not saying there isn't guys mechanically inclined enough to make those lees spit out ammo. But there a very small percentage of people buying presses. Like I said I'm not talking down on lee. I don't have much great to say about my LNL's either. For the most part I can spend a day running one with a case feeder. Tweak the timing occasionally clear the case feeder feeding problems, clear the case feeder trouble feeding cases into the tube or I can load on one of my 550s and load and load and load without a single problem. Yup its slower but at the end of the day id about bet I end up with the pretty much the same amount of ammo and leave the loading room a lot less frustrated.

Now ive ran 650s and 1050s and they will leave my lnl and 550 in there dust trail. Bottom line is I could one 550 and one 650 and a single stage and be set for life. Yup, I make mistakes too. I'm just as susceptible to caving to the "save money" bs as the next guy. I lost all my loading gear in a fire. At that time I had a 550 and 5 square deals and a rock crusher. When I set up my loading room after the fire I could have used my head and passed on the lnls that I bought because they gave me a 1000 free bullets and were a couple hundred bucks less then 650s but I had nobody on line telling me that they were so much trouble. I wish someone would have grabbed me by the ear and set me straight because the bullets are long gone and the presses are still there. Bottom line is id trade both of them for one 650. That said I have lots less trouble with them then I did my lee progressives.

One other thing I will say about Dillon is there customer service is hands down better then lees. About the only company that's better is rcbs. heres a Dillon story for you. After my fire my buddy was over and I was picking through the ashes and found the ram from one of my 550s. He laughed and said Dillon claims there warrantee is great why don't you ask them if they can rebuild it. I called them and told them I lost 5 square deals and a 550 in the fire. They blew me away when the customer service guy said "I can do this. ill send you your choice of a new 550 or a square deal" I told him id prefer a 550 and they sent me a brand new 550 with a strong mount and a conversion in 45acp and a certificate for one other caliber change including dies. They didn't even ask to see pictures of the burnt press or make me return what was left of it!! Try that with your lee presses. So am I a bit of a cheerleader? YOU BET I AM. Bottom line is theres no magic or bs to any of this. Its like just about everything in life. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. you don't buy 600 dollar quality for 300 dollars anywhere I know. If the lees were even near as good as the dillons, Dillon would have been out of business 20 years ago.
Why do people care who does whatever they want with their own stuff??? The nanny mentality is rude and obnoxious. This Lee Derangement Syndrom is tedious, and this nonsense posted herein is just beyond the pale. I have two 550s that I like, but mostly I use the two Classic Turrets in single stage mode. I have two A2s and a Big Max and then some. I wish I had the mad skills of jmorris and a fleet of 1050s looks impressive, but I don't have the skill and don't want a 1050. My choice, my life. I enjoy seeing what everyone is doing, exactly what they want and how they want. I get zero pleasure or enjoyment telling them how to do what they want to do and how they are wrong about it. Lee Derangement Syndrom is different from making suggestions and leaving it at that.

opos
01-26-2018, 06:49 PM
Got a question..the link is to a you tube of a 650 being used to load 100 9mm in about 6 minutes...very impressive...however I got a question....they show no set up time or adjustments at all...some of the more knowledgable folks might explain how much time might really be involved? Also he makes at least "one mistake" and jams up the works....any problem with mis seating primers? I may be slower but I check the charges the "old way" with a light and by seating the primers by hand in a ram on my Lee Classic turret press. I've yet (and I know..."yet") to seat a primer backwards....I still think that the average loader can do very well with much less horsepower than a 650...and no...I don't have one and never have....I'll bet with my Lee Turret press with the dies set up in the carrier and using the Lee auto drum and looking at the powder charge with a press mounted light that I can come close to 100 rounds in a very respectable time...start to finish from initial set up to clean up and tear down for the next caliber and I think I might be more comfortable with the end result..."loading 100 rounds in 6 minutes" would be 1000 rounds in an hour...I'd think for a loader working for a club or the like that might be a real benefit but how many newer reloaders would need or want 1000 rounds in an hour of loading? I must be way to old to even fathom that kind of volume. I don't shoot competitive matches and my shooting might be more like one or maximum of two range visits a week...I probably shoot 100 rounds with these old hands and another 50 rounds of my 357 and I'm done...with a Dillon the way I see it I could load for a couple or three hours.... 2 or 3 times a year and be pretty well done. Guess I'm just old and slow and enjoy no stress or rush.

https://youtu.be/HLuz6tKI3Wk

toallmy
01-26-2018, 07:14 PM
^^^^^^ this is the bottle neck in my ammo production , I have a hard time making enough empty cartridges

BigBore45
01-26-2018, 07:36 PM
Production rate on a lee turret is about 175 rd per hour. 200+ with add-ons. Setup time on a 650 is 12-20 mins setup time on the turret and load master are under 5 mins.
The 650 is depending on primers and case size from one to the other. That video is nothing special that can be done in short bursts on a LM. Gotta fill cases and primer hopper just like every body else.

Legion489
01-27-2018, 12:27 AM
Well I too had heard the kid was improving quality after the Dick left. NO idea if this is true or not (improved quality), but judging from what they DID put out, what their QC is now and CS still is, well, I still am not impressed and nothing I have read here really answers the question.

However I will state that after owning or using every press (EXCEPT the Cast Classics, and the reviews run 50-50 on those) Lee makes, I was HAPPY to spend the money for a Dillon and my ONLY regret was I didn't buy it first and save all that money, time and bother, because "I couldn't afford a Dillon". As it turned out, I couldn't NOT afford a Dillon!

sawinredneck
01-27-2018, 01:36 AM
Well I too had heard the kid was improving quality after the Dick left. NO idea if this is true or not (improved quality), but judging from what they DID put out, what their QC is now and CS still is, well, I still am not impressed and nothing I have read here really answers the question.

However I will state that after owning or using every press (EXCEPT the Cast Classics, and the reviews run 50-50 on those) Lee makes, I was HAPPY to spend the money for a Dillon and my ONLY regret was I didn't buy it first and save all that money, time and bother, because "I couldn't afford a Dillon". As it turned out, I couldn't NOT afford a Dillon!
Not sure where the reviews on the Lee CCT are 50/50, I’ve sure not seen that? I have one and love it.
You are correct, a 550 it’s not, I also have one of those.

kmw1954
01-27-2018, 01:41 AM
Seeing as this thread has gone completely off the tracks and has become another Lee vs Dillon debate I'm going to make another off topic post and then be done.

In the past 2 days I have acquired for my Lee Pro1000 press a set of 45acp dies, a #2 45acp shellplate and a #4 380acp shellplate all for the outrageous price of $40.00 delivered to my mailbox. That now makes 5 different calibers I will be able to load on this one press and all for an investment of less than $300.00 now that is what I call Value.

BigBore45
01-27-2018, 03:12 AM
It has gotten off topic. I'll throw in another thing for lee against Dillon. The primer flip tray is way easier than a primer tube to load up. Also the 550 powder drop station is a bit farther back and harder to see.

BigBore45
01-27-2018, 03:16 AM
One other thing nice with the lee. It is way less exhausting to load on. I can use body weight to run the press, I never have to push forward to seat a primer. My arm on the lee is no more than a fulcrum point with the LM. However that grabbing the press and pushing forward on a Dillon to seat a primer wears me out...

fcvan
01-27-2018, 04:35 AM
I can remember when I was loading for shear production. I had my casting furnace fired up and ran 2 molds, a 125 RN for 38/9mm, and a 230 RN for 45acp. I would cast 100 each and refill my pot. I'd prime and charge 100 cases and by then the boolits were cool. I'd lube 100 and set them in the case mouths, followed by seat/crimp. By then, the pot was up to temp and time to repeat. Cold ice tea, a baseball game on the radio, and I had a good afternoon.

Once the 38s or 9mms were loaded, I would switch to loading 45acp. Lee turret press, the discontinued one. I like a turret because I tend to load 'single stage style' and check my powder in each case with a flashlight. Switching calibers is a minute or more tops. I generally cast about 2500 boolits/week, load and shoot 1250 rounds/week (500 wheelgun double action, 500 1911, 250 41 Mag at 100-150 yards double action slow fire) for a good range day. Best part was I got my range lead free from work, would trade 500 boolits for a pond of unique, 500 boolits for 1000 primers, and generally shot for free. I could not load/shoot that much on dad's old Pacific press. Oh, and I got to listen to a lot of baseball!

DanLee
01-28-2018, 06:42 PM
I guess I'm one of those people who bought the Loadmaster because it was cheaper than any other complete progressive. I think I paid around $200 for mine, maybe less, back in the 1990s. The priming system was not that great, but I decided early on to hand prime because I wanted to inspect the cases before loading them. My procedure is to deprime, clean, hand prime, then use the Loadmaster to drop powder, seat bullet, and crimp, all in different dies. I have never had a squib with this system in a couple decades of loading six different pistol cartridges running from .32 ACP to .45 Colt. I don't shoot a lot of centerfire metallic cartridges, maybe 1,000 total per year, as my real interest is shotgun games, but I'm satisfied and feel no need for anything else.

Livin_cincy
02-09-2018, 11:21 PM
... If you powder coat a brand new LEE Load Master with Eastwood Ford Blue does a tree make noise if it falls in the woods if nobody is around ?

Big Tom
02-10-2018, 08:52 AM
No. Not in that case. But the green grass it falls on screams like crazy.

... If you powder coat a brand new LEE Load Master with Eastwood Ford Blue does a tree make noise if it falls in the woods if nobody is around ?

FLDad
02-16-2018, 05:39 PM
Darn. I just looked at the original question about a Lee product and didn't see where he asked for a comparison with Dillon. Guess he just wanted to know about factory improvements on the current version. If it had been my question, I'd be sorry I asked!
This red vs blue stuff reminds me of election night...

Livin_cincy
02-16-2018, 06:36 PM
Darn. I just looked at the original question about a Lee product and didn't see where he asked for a comparison with Dillon. Guess he just wanted to know about factory improvements on the current version. If it had been my question, I'd be sorry I asked!
This red vs blue stuff reminds me of election night...

There is a mod for the LEE Loadmaster press that ends all issues with the debate about it being made from pot metal die cast aluminum like a Dillon.
https://www.eastwood.com/hotcoat-powder-ford-light-blue.html
This is a deal changer. Just dust your LEE and bake @ 350-400 for 20-30 minutes. Two coats are recommended for safety.

Moonie
02-19-2018, 09:03 PM
No. Not in that case. But the green grass it falls on screams like crazy.

Would we still cut trees down if they screamed? Well yea, if they screamed all the time for no good reason!

hollywood63
02-28-2018, 11:05 PM
:popcorn: