PDA

View Full Version : Surplus Ammo

Fly
01-12-2018, 01:55 PM
I know this topic has been beat to death. The thing that brought the Mosin Nagant to the front of the hottest selling
military rifle was there cost. But more than that was cheap surplus ammo. When ammo dried up, MN did not look so
attractive.

My question is did we buy up the all that supply? Price has always been the effect of supply & demand. Or is it our sanction's
imposed on Russia ? Do any here really know the answer ?

Fly:confused:

lefty o
01-12-2018, 02:29 PM
i believe there is plenty of surplus ammo out there yet for the mosin, just obamma's EO's stopped it from coming here.

Fly
01-12-2018, 02:46 PM
I wondered about that. Maybe Trump will reverse that. I have not bought any surplus in years. I still have some. But
I would like to get some brass & reload my own. That's even hard to find at a descent price.

Fly

MUSTANG
01-12-2018, 05:19 PM
I do not envision President Trump and Administration allowing the warehouses of Russia and Client States to be opened and Ammunition and Rifles to come into the US. The reason has more to do with the "RUSSIA COLLUSION" fabrication than any other reason; why would they want to open the political can of worms that would ensue about "Working with Putin"?

Wish reality were different. Have sent several notes to the Whitehouse advocating they open the doors to both US and Foreign Firearms and Surplus Ammunition to be imported into the US.

Mytmousemalibu
01-12-2018, 06:02 PM
I still have 3 unopened 440rd spam cans of 54R light ball ammo that I bought when they were just south of $100 a can. Now you're looking at more than double which is absurd. Wished I had bought more. What I really wish is I had bought a bunch of the 7N1 "sniper" ammo and a bunch of Soviet PZ "marking" ammo. While I was at it, hoards of 7N6, .50BMG Raufoss, S.L.A.P. etc. That stuff is worth a fortune now.

Popularity of the Mosin and other 54R chambered guns and lack of any substantial importation of that ammo has dried the wells up and driven prices up. There's a lot of Class III guys with registered full auto's that have been rechambered/rebarreled to 54R because of cost too. Those guys burn up spam cans by the pallet!

Outpost75
01-12-2018, 06:37 PM
US industry doesn't want the floodgates of cheap Russian and Chicom ammo opened again either.

If you didn't buy it cheap and stack it deep before the opportunity is gone forever.

Buy some PPU, save the brass to reload, and buy an NOE clone of #314299 and load your own. About 30 grains of either RL7, 3031, 4895, 4064, RL15 or Varget all make good loads for the boltguns. If you need to cycle an SVT40 you will need to bump the charge about 5 grains.

lefty o
01-12-2018, 07:59 PM
agree with the buy PPU ammo. decent ammo and good brass can usually be found for 15-16 a box.

J257
01-13-2018, 08:22 PM
A little off topic but is there any 30 carbine milsurp still floating around? Korea used carbines for years. I figured something would be around.

GhostHawk
01-13-2018, 09:59 PM
I'm pretty much agreeing with Outpost75.

I happened to run into a pretty good deal on some PPU Match ammo, figured the cost of the brass and subtracted it from the cost per round. It was down to some figure like 12 cents, seemed like a bargain, so I bought a few hundred rounds of it. Still sitting down there on the ammo table in the original packagaing inside a sealed plastic bag. By the time it arrived my brass from other sources had accumulated enough that I did not need to get into it. So I leave it there, not hurting a dang thing sitting down there.

Prices have come up since I bought most of my 7.62x54r ammo, but ppu was still a better bargain than the other big name brands last I checked. I've had no problems with the brass.

Earlwb
01-14-2018, 12:53 AM
I think they pretty much sold off much of the old military surplus ammo by now. But you have to figure that much of the surplus ammo and rifles wound up going to the middle east for the wars going on there. They were showing lots of rebels using Mosin Nagants and other old military weapons in the middle east wars. Thus I bet the old ammo all got sold to the rebels at higher prices. Heck they even shipped off tons of rifles and ammo to Venezuela too.

The Chinese had flooded the market with cheap ammo years ago. The government was slow to act but eventually they slapped tariffs on them for dumping ammo and firearms too. That pretty much stopped them for the most part. The ammo that does get imported now, comes in at higher prices of course. But I think that the new sanctions will likely cause the Russian made ammo to disappear in the marketplace soon. Hard to tell so far though.

tomme boy
01-14-2018, 01:54 AM
Most ALL the 54r ammo was coming out of the Balkans. WHAT IS GOING ON THERE RIGHT NOW? A war with rebels backed by Russia. They need the ammo. THAT is why there are no rifles and ammo coming in NOT Obama.