PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Mould Question

jameslovesjammie
08-25-2008, 05:16 AM
I am looking at a couple of used Lyman Moulds. One ends in S and one ends in L. By the looks of the pictures, the L looks to be longer and the S looks to be shorter. Is this a common thing Lyman did throughout the years? Possibly offered the same bullet in 2 different weights?

floodgate
08-25-2008, 02:10 PM
jameslovesjammie:

Not sure what you are reading there; can you give us ALL the lettering/numbering on both blocks of each mould? There are several different "codes" that may be involved. Photos of the cavities would help also, plus top to bottom height measurements of the two block sets. Yes, Lyman DID cut various lengths of the same bullet in many cases, sometimes in the same mould, but the different lengths were USUALLY indicated by weight markings.

Floodgate (the Lyman mould "peed-ant")

jameslovesjammie
08-25-2008, 04:37 PM
The moulds in question are the 280468.

The first mould is the 280468L. According to the lady, the stampings on the side of the block are 280468 L and 250.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/jameslovesjammie/Message%20Board%20Pics/280468L.jpg

The second mould is the 280468S. The stampings are 280468 S and 758.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/jameslovesjammie/Message%20Board%20Pics/280468S.jpg

According to CastPics, they made this mould in a 109 and 114 grain model. I already have a 280468, and out of wheelweights it drops at 124 grains w/o lube. I also have a 280473, and it drops at 125 grains, as specified by Lyman. The side of MY 280468 says 280468 and 474.

Thanks for the help!

jameslovesjammie
08-25-2008, 04:55 PM
My mould also has 6 lube grooves, and the bottom one appears to only have 5. I could be wrong, but it's just a guess.

floodgate
08-25-2008, 11:23 PM
James...:

OK, those are most likely the "short" and "long" versions. A new marking for me; I've seen "-S" for "small" used to indicate an undersized mould. The exact weights, of course, depend upon the actual alloy used - and even more, on the state of wear on the cherry used to cut the mould cavity and how far it was actually set into the blocks. The "250" and the "758" should appear on both blocks of the respective sets; this is a "match number" to keep the two halves of the mould together through cutting, finishing and packaging. The moulds appear to have owner-applied vent lines; Lyman did not add these until the mid-1950s, so these are truly "vintage" moulds. They should be stamped "IDEAL" rather than "LYMAN"; this change was made about 1964, when they realized that the Ideal loading tool operation they had bought out in 1925 was actually the "cart leading the horse" of their original gun sight business.

Floodgate

jameslovesjammie
08-26-2008, 05:14 AM
Thank you very much for the time, Floodgate! I really do appreciate it. I think I may pick up the short version as well, just to have it.

I just purchased an Ideal mould from the same person. It's the 280411. Just as you mentioned, it has no vent lines. The markings on it are IDEAL, Middlefield, CT, USA, 280411, and A-174. Would you figure that these are of the same vintage? I pretty much got it because it's an interesting design. Honestly, it was the last Lyman mould I intended to buy in .270 caliber, but I snatched it up with all due haste! Looks like it should work quite nicely on coyotes with minimal pelt damage.

Thanks again for your time!

James

walltube
08-26-2008, 11:39 AM
I am looking at a couple of used Lyman Moulds. One ends in S and one ends in L. By the looks of the pictures, the L looks to be longer and the S looks to be shorter. Is this a common thing Lyman did throughout the years? Possibly offered the same bullet in 2 different weights?

Lyman Guru Floodgate always has the correct answers..:)

I have both "S" and "L" moulds in 1x & 2x cavity configuration. Air cooled WW alloy are respectivley: "S" @ 112 gr. ; "L" @ 119 gr. One produces a boolit @ .280 dia.

These were bought to feed a fat Italian Carcano with a bore that slugged .2695. Unfortunately this project died on the vine so I gotta no data.

Maybe one day another nice fat Italian (Carcano, that is), or, maybe even an attractive ( but rotund) Greek Mannlicher will fall into my trembling, sweaty hands. Of course there is the 6.8 SPG....

Sorry 'bout the highjack, j'loves'j...but Loverins make do me hot :mrgreen:

Y.T.,

Wt.

floodgate
08-26-2008, 01:30 PM
james...:

If the "174" appears on both blocks, it is the matchnumber. Is the "A-" part of the same stamping? I don't recognize it. An IDEAL-marked mould with no vent lines could have been made at any time from about 1926-7 - when they introduced the "loose block" moulds (cribbed from Modern-Bond) - through the mid '50's.

+ walltube:

...those weight differences seem awfully small for "short" vs. "long" moulds; but what do I know?

Floodgate

jameslovesjammie
08-26-2008, 02:11 PM
Walltube, 6.8 SPC is where I think my .270 cal moulds are going to be headed. I'm thinking a barrel from Match Grade Machines in an Encore would just be fantastic!

Floodgate, The A- marking looks like part of the matchnumber. I was curious if it had any significance. Sorry for the over exposed pics, but I don't have the best lighting by my computer desk.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/jameslovesjammie/gun%20stuff/Casting%20Stuff/P1020293.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/jameslovesjammie/gun%20stuff/Casting%20Stuff/P1020299.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/jameslovesjammie/gun%20stuff/Casting%20Stuff/P1020296.jpg

walltube
08-27-2008, 07:30 PM
james...:

+ walltube:

...those weight differences seem awfully small for "short" vs. "long" moulds; but what do I know?

Floodgate

Couldn't find the "S" mould boolits, but I did find an "L" mould boolit:

http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/kk401/AuntJanie/MyStuff036.jpg

"..but what do I know?"

Mr. Floodgate,

You know far more than I, that's for sure
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
j'lovesjammie,

Good luck with the 6.8 SPC project. Give us updates with your progress; with pics too.

Y.T.,

Wt.