PDA

View Full Version : Engraving service wanted

scarry scarney
01-11-2018, 11:02 AM
I am in the need of an affordable engraver, to engrave a pistol to present to a friend who is retiring.

Anyone have some recommendations ?

Thx

map55b
01-11-2018, 11:05 AM
Sorry I don't but I'd like to see what recommendation you get.

waksupi
01-11-2018, 11:27 AM
There is no such thing.

Ickisrulz
01-11-2018, 12:56 PM
I am in the need of an affordable engraver, to engrave a pistol to present to a friend who is retiring.

Anyone have some recommendations ?

Thx

Service or a machine?

scarry scarney
01-12-2018, 12:11 PM
He is retiring from Law Enforcement, and I would like his badge, name, and years of service. I don’t think I could do it with a machine, so looking for a service.

Have not picked the pistol yet, want to here back from his wife and service that will preform the engraving

map55b
01-12-2018, 02:02 PM
A friend who did a lot of rifle smithing used a trophy engraver to inscribe his barrels with his name and other information. Perhaps you can find a local service that can do this for you.

dk17hmr
01-12-2018, 02:21 PM
I had Colorado Gun Writers engrave my SBR, it was nothing fancy just what the law requires, very reasonable and quick turn around.

knifemaker
01-12-2018, 03:48 PM
I think what you are looking for is something like my 1911 in the photo that is attached. It was done 15 years ago and the engraver is probably retired now. The fake ivory grips was done by laser engraving and you can do a google search for that service. You will have to supply a picture of the badge for them to duplicate it on the grips. You can also have the firearm laser engraved which is cheaper then cut engraving.

country gent
01-12-2018, 06:12 PM
Yes it can be done with the proper programs and machines. A picture can be down loaded and then loaded into the machine program and an engraving program written. We did this at work occasionally. More common was a DAte of manufacturer and part number on parts this was written on the drafting program and then the program wrote the program for the cnc mill. On some gage these programs got involved with the instructions, drawing number, part number, and other information.

A scan of the parts pieces into the program and then some alighnment work and the program could be done. Its work and takes some time but not as much as hand engraving. A lot of times we ran the program one on a thin sheet of brass or aluminum to check and or test it before the gages base. We used a point and engraved .010- .013 deep once engraved and blued or anodized engraving was filled with white paint and excess rubbed of.

ulav8r
01-12-2018, 07:33 PM
Many trophy shops now use cnc engravers and can provide whatever you want.

HATCH
01-12-2018, 08:01 PM
This is the guy that I recommend
http://www.orion-arms.com/

He can do exactly what you are looking for.
I have used him to do NFA engravings and he does excellent work.

scarry scarney
01-13-2018, 12:11 PM
Hatch

Thank you, it looks like Orion Arms can do what I want done.

Firearm engraving is rapidly becoming a lost art. There use to be an engraver that attended the local gun shows around Sacramento, Yuba City, Oroville. I had one pistol done by him. Sure wish he was around still, I would like to have a couple more.

I contacted the S&W performance center and they do custom engraving. The average price for a logo is $300, and a line of text is $$90. Then of course, reblue afterwards (unless stainless ) is another $200-$300. Easy to spend $900.

I will contact Orion, I just love our board, members helping members

Thank you

LMB
01-23-2018, 06:51 AM
You could give Roger Sampson in Mora Minnesota a call.
http://www.sampsonengraving.com/

Randy Bohannon
01-23-2018, 01:22 PM
www.enraverscafe.com you will find every level of skill on there web site.Lots of great talent at various price points you want a Master Engraver or someone with up and coming skills for far less or maybe at a journeyman level.You will get what you pay for and bad engraving jobs last forever.

EMC45
01-23-2018, 01:45 PM
Angelo Bee

Geezer in NH
01-31-2018, 04:34 PM
Look up local laser engravers I will bet there is one near you.

RayinNH
01-31-2018, 04:58 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?110216-Gun-Engraving

Joe was/is a member here. The Photobucket images are gone but his web site is valid.