PDA

View Full Version : Sizing die for Wildcat

silverjay
01-11-2018, 01:02 AM
I am working on a project that takes a standard size caliber and lengthens it retaining the same geometry. While I am waiting for custom dies, can I use the base caliber dies to neck size the wildcat Brass?

Larry Gibson
01-11-2018, 07:58 AM
A standard NS die should work to NS the wildcat cases. The standard FL die may work but probably not.

Moleman-
01-11-2018, 08:55 AM
If it's a straight wall there is a good chance that a standard die will work depending on the length and taper if any in the case.

gzig5
01-11-2018, 10:35 PM
Info on what it was and now is would be helpful. If the reamer was simply run in deeper, the standard die will probably work fine if pressures are kept in the reasonable range. At least after the first firing. Otherwise the base which the standard die won't size may swell and cause difficulty chambering the second go around. There are ways around that too, but you would need to make a special die to size the base area. If the reamer was run in deeper, that extra length at the base should be straight walled, unless the reamer taper continued in that area.

silverjay
01-12-2018, 12:57 AM
Thanks, the cartridge is not of my design so I am hesitant to post details without the permission of the developer. I will be asking him this weekend.