PDA

View Full Version : Lee Safety Prime System

Hrfunk
01-09-2018, 11:54 AM
For anyone who might be interested. I recently added this system to my Classic Turret Press. The link below will take you to my video review.

Happy New Year!
HRF

https://youtu.be/wIq9JcvtazY

wdfwguy
01-10-2018, 09:30 PM
I gave up on mine and took it off

sparkyv
01-10-2018, 11:05 PM
I have the older version with circular shaped trays. It takes some tweaking and adjusting, but once you get it aligned, it works pretty well. I still drop (and usually lose) about 1 primer in 100. For me it's a MUST for long pistol reloading sessions.

tazman
01-11-2018, 12:22 AM
I have the older round trays as well. I have tried the new, triangular ones but prefer the round ones.
I drop less than 1 every 200 primers or so.
They really help the production on my press.

Hrfunk
01-11-2018, 08:50 AM
I must be living right. So far, I haven't dropped any. Admittedly, though, I have not been using it long.

HRF

DAVIDMAGNUM
01-12-2018, 10:13 AM
I have the Lee Classic (iron) Turret with the safety prime. I have been using the safety prime with very little trouble for three years or more. I do remember "fiddling" with it to get the large and small primers to feed/work the same. There are two things that I know I have to pay attention to. Always have two extra primers in the tray of the last one I need will not load. The weight of the line of primers pressing down on the one ready to feed is what puts and holds it in place. The curve in the trough at the bottom has the last two primers horizontal and will not feed without primers above them pushing them in place. I have also found that when seating primers I must push the feeding head/button in and not down even a little bit. If I let the head cam and push down on its own it works fine. If I push down any to help it seat a primer it may work, may barely work clicking louder feeling rough or pop the primer out of the feed arm.
Once aligned and I pay attention to operating it all is good .

TCFAN
01-12-2018, 10:32 AM
Mine is the round tray and it has never given me any trouble. I use mine on both the single stage cast iron press and the cast iron turret. If I had to put a number of primers dropped I would say maybe 1 in 500 or so.

w5pv
01-12-2018, 10:45 AM
good luck and keep all of your fingers intack.

OS OK
01-12-2018, 11:31 AM
Hey funk, how ya doin?

Good setup there but...if you were to add a 'wee lil bit-O-bell' to the case you wouldn't have to guide the projectile all the way up into the seater die.
I am a 'minimalist' also on belling brass but I've found that when the projectile will hold itself in place via a larger diameter bell...it doesn't shorten the life of your brass.

Nice flicks you do...SeeYa & Semper Fi...c h a r l i e

Hrfunk
01-12-2018, 01:37 PM
Hey funk, how ya doin?

Good setup there but...if you were to add a 'wee lil bit-O-bell' to the case you wouldn't have to guide the projectile all the way up into the seater die.
I am a 'minimalist' also on belling brass but I've found that when the projectile will hold itself in place via a larger diameter bell...it doesn't shorten the life of your brass.

Nice flicks you do...SeeYa & Semper Fi...c h a r l i e

Thanks! I know I could add a little more "bell" to the case, I just don't really like to. With semi-auto cartridges, I try to use the minimum amount necessary to allow the bullet to seat. I'm not quite as concerned with revolver cartridges that use a roll crimp.

Take Care,
HRF

DirtyJack
01-12-2018, 10:43 PM
Great video. It looks like it works well for you.

Hrfunk
01-13-2018, 09:26 AM
Great video. It looks like it works well for you.

Thank you!

HRF