PDA

View Full Version : US Springfield Krag sporters-let's see them

ticket machine
01-08-2018, 12:52 PM
I have always like the smooth Krag action and shot one for many years. It was an 1898 model, no mods to it, and it shot great. Found this rifle on Gunbroker last year and had to have it. Someone did a beautiful job on it and for what I paid it was a bargain. Can't believe nobody bid on it. Don't see skeleton butts that are checkered or grip caps cut out like a deer hoof print. The receiver sight has no markings on it but the rifle shoots to point of aim with 180gr. bullets. Trigger has been worked on also. I can't bear to put sling swivels on the stock.21137821137921138021138121138221138321138421 1385

Hamish
01-08-2018, 12:59 PM
Now that is one tasteful Sporter! Love the grip cap,,,,,,.

Mines not so fancy, but I like it!

ticket machine
01-08-2018, 01:14 PM
I hope someone will recognize the rear sight on my gun and tell me who made it. I would love to find an aperture for it so I will have a smaller hole to look through.

JRPVT
01-08-2018, 01:54 PM
If you have a local gun shop, they probably have a box full of apertures for you to choose from. Walking in with a beauty like that, you should have one in no time. Dave

Der Gebirgsjager
01-08-2018, 03:00 PM
click to enlarge

Here are a couple of mine-- not as elaborately done as yours. Your rifle's custom work is seldom seen now days. Although no doubt there are still some who do such work, and the skeleton grip caps and butt plates are still available, such work as your rifle displays is usually the product of an old timer in the 1940s or earlier. Your rifle is very nicely done, and you got a great deal on it.

As for your question about the peep sight aperture, I have several different vintage peep sights mounted on Krags, but do not recognize your exact model. So, speaking in generalities and not really promising anything, it has in general been my experience that the sights that mounted on the left side pre-dated those that mount on the right side, so I would think that yours would be relatively newer. Not like just a few years ago--newer like perhaps the '40s or '50s compared to the '20s or '30s. It is a very basic, simple sight and the big screw dates it. But somewhere along the line all of the major sight companies like Lyman, Redfield, Williams, etc. standardized the threads on the apertures, so if you buy one from Brownell's the odds are good that it will work. I have the "Twilight" aperture installed on most of mine, which has a gold ring around the peep and helps a great deal in low light. Maybe someone here can yet positively identify your sight. Good luck with this.

TNsailorman
01-08-2018, 03:51 PM
I knew several gunsmiths that were still doing skeleton cap and butt plates well into the late 1960's. Problem was, it is time consuming and takes a steady hand to get them right --thus pricey to have it done. There are gunsmiths that can do such work today but we live in a plastic world now and the demand is just not there except for a small fast dwindling market. Too bad, the 50's and 60's were the heyday for custom rifles. james

ticket machine
01-08-2018, 06:39 PM
Now if I can just find a Sedgley Springfield sporter at the right price I would be satisfied. Always wanted one and couldn't afford one.

quack1
01-08-2018, 07:53 PM
Here's mine, still in progress. Wasn't really looking for a Krag, but this one came along at a price I couldn't pass up. Somebody had really hacked up the stock, but, since the inside of the barrel was pretty good, I figured it was worth saving. At first I was just going to make a new stock, but there was some pretty nice grain in what was left of the issue stock. It would have probably been easier and taken less time to make a new stock. In a few months, once it warms up outside, I'll polish the metal and then drag my bluing tanks out of the garage and blue it. A couple of before and after pictures.
https://i.imgur.com/7ChaVV7.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/B32skKg.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/8hrpZWr.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/eTH3pXg.jpg

Texas by God
01-08-2018, 08:17 PM
If you have a local gun shop, they probably have a box full of apertures for you to choose from. Walking in with a beauty like that, you should have one in no time. Dave
No kidding! Bring it to my house and we'll look for one! That is a beauty and it would be great to hunt with.

KCSO
01-08-2018, 09:55 PM
Measure the threads on the sight I have a drawer full of aps.

map55b
01-08-2018, 10:02 PM
Nice! I was looking for an action and found a decent sporter (no pictures at the moment) for a good price. I plan to re-barrel it in 6mm Ackley Krag Long and cantilever a scope off the barrel reinforce so I don't muck up the action for the next owner. :)

uscra112
01-08-2018, 10:27 PM
Nice. Longtime fan of sporters, rather than original milspec Krags. Lots of quality gunsmithing went into the good ones.

Here's my favorite - has the magazine milled off, a .22 Armory barrel chambered .22 Lovell R2, and a Stith scope. Don't know who made the stock, but it's decent wood. Spent cases drop neatly into the magazine cavity. Wish I knew who the gunsmith was, but it's totally unmarked.

Gtrubicon
01-08-2018, 11:48 PM
Now I know I want a krag

Multigunner
01-08-2018, 11:59 PM
Here's mine, still in progress. Wasn't really looking for a Krag, but this one came along at a price I couldn't pass up. Somebody had really hacked up the stock, but, since the inside of the barrel was pretty good, I figured it was worth saving. At first I was just going to make a new stock, but there was some pretty nice grain in what was left of the issue stock. It would have probably been easier and taken less time to make a new stock. In a few months, once it warms up outside, I'll polish the metal and then drag my bluing tanks out of the garage and blue it. A couple of before and after pictures.

I love it. I'd have left it as in the first picture but you definitely turned it into one fine looking rifle.

I was within hours of sealing the deal on a sporterized krag offered me by a forum member when fate slapped me down.
I'd just figured out my monthly financial situation with just enough left over to buy the Krag when the floor of my bathroom collapsed. I had to replace the entire floor joists and all and replace most of the plumbing and buy new fixtures. No cash leftover for months to come.

Once I've repainted the house this spring I may have a little set aside for a decent Krag but I doubt I'll find as good a deal as I was offered that time around.
Right now I'm looking at having to replace my water heater, but I suspect the seepage is not coming from the WH at all. It is probably a leak under the sink which is dripping water onto the feeder pipe of the under the counter top 30 gallon heater. If so that's 400 bucks I won't have to spend this month.

One thing about growing old, you find a lot of necessary stuff you bought new has worn out before you have.

uscra112
01-09-2018, 12:34 AM
Now I know I want a krag

Yes, you do. Every cast boolit shooter must have a Krag. The best cartridge we have for heavy .30 caliber boolits. Just watch out for cracked bolts and excessively worn throats.

ticket machine
01-09-2018, 12:51 AM
I love this, it has a European sporter look to it. Very nicely done!

tim338
01-09-2018, 07:38 AM
I am a big fan of the Krag sporterized too. I would love to find a good one. They don't seem to show up very often in my neck of the woods.

gnoahhh
01-09-2018, 03:44 PM
One of my "sportered" Krags:

https://i.imgur.com/oGu2JvFl.jpg

Altered to single shot, heavy barrel, chambered in .22 Maximum Lovell. Barrel and stock marked by Hervey Lovell himself. (Yes that's how his name is spelled.) I'm assuming from that that he built the gun. Pacific double set triggers (push the front trigger forward to set the rear trigger, it won't fire unset). Scope replaced with a Fecker since the pic was taken. Hervey knew what he was about- it'll slop 3 into sub-1/2MOA @ 100yds.

500Linebaughbuck
01-09-2018, 04:18 PM
very nice rifles!!!!

mine is kinda plain jane with a 22" barrel and redfield peep sight. i shot my first cast boolit buck with it.

Texas by God
01-09-2018, 10:55 PM
Yes, you do. Every cast boolit shooter must have a Krag. The best cartridge we have for heavy .30 caliber boolits. Just watch out for cracked bolts and excessively worn throats.I'd never seen a cracked lug before. Now I have, thanks. I'll check there whenever I handle one. I love Krag sporters. Well, military sporters period.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Bent Ramrod
01-12-2018, 12:16 AM
211690 211691

This one started out as an 1899 action with an aftermarket carbine stock. After some parts scrounging, I turned a Douglas 12" twist barrel down and milled integral Weaver type bases onto it, added a Lyman #1 cocking piece sight, a Redfield front, and a sling, and chambered it in .30-40. Still haven't blued the barrel yet, nor drilled the forward attachment for a third sling swivel.

Didn't have the heart to turn the barrel down enough to make the weight of a Scout Rifle, but that's the general look and effect I tried for. Colonel Cooper would have said it wasn't a "True Scout," although it has many "Scoutlike characteristics."

It's one of my favorite cast-boolit toys. I annoy the 500-M Ram silhouettes off the bench with 21 gr SR-4759 and whatever boolit I have on hand. The current one is Ideal 311467. For some reason, sizing to 0.308" gives the best results.

The trigger could use some improvement, though.

uscra112
01-12-2018, 12:35 AM
That set trigger on gnoahhh's Krag looks like this one, said to be Hervey Lovell's invention. Not too hard to make, if you're so inclined.

Clark
01-13-2018, 02:22 AM
I made this video 5 days ago.

https://youtu.be/y_vG9YlnJkc

Bent Ramrod
01-13-2018, 05:18 PM
Thanks, uscra112. My list of projects needs to be pared down before tackling that one, though. Has anyone tried the Huber Concepts trigger for the Krag? They seem to be the only outfit that makes one for this model rifle.

S.B.
01-14-2018, 07:57 PM

I always imagined a scout scope base that use the original rear sight screw holes would be ideal on a 1898 Krag? Man in video needs to get some good screw drivers!!!
Mine has a Redfield 102K rear sight with a 1903 front sight on a 21 & 1/2" barrel. Just recieved a classic sporter stock that has promise someday.
Steve

tdoor4570
01-14-2018, 08:10 PM
You can get a scout scope base that will fit the original rear sight screw holes from www. Kraghaus .com I will check that to be sure of the website got one and it works just great. There is two different ones just depends on what you want.

S.B.
01-14-2018, 10:02 PM
Yes, but for which rear sight,1898, 1901,1902,1896,1892? They were all different screw spacing?
Steve

tdoor4570
01-15-2018, 10:56 AM
Yes, but for which rear sight,1898, 1901,1902,1892,1892? They were all different screw spacing?
Steve

Just let them know which rear sight you have and they should be able to help you

gnoahhh
01-15-2018, 04:17 PM
That set trigger on gnoahhh's Krag looks like this one, said to be Hervey Lovell's invention. Not too hard to make, if you're so inclined.

Thanks. I didn't know that the trigger is attributable to Hervey Lovell. It works a treat.

Hervey was very innovative guy, and from what I've been able to uncover, was a rather personable fellow too. I wish there were more about him in print. Landis's comments regarding him (in ".22 Varmint Rifles") are some of the best but still not very biographical.

madsenshooter
01-19-2018, 02:58 PM
Yes, but for which rear sight,1898, 1901,1902,1896,1892? They were all different screw spacing?
Steve

Screw spacing is all the same, but if you still have a handguard on, you might have to modify Kraghaus' short rail. I had to modify the rail for one of my rifles but I can't recall for which model handguard. Must've been for the 1896 handguard. I only had to remove a small bit of the rail. If you have no handguard, they have a longer model that you can drill and tap more holes in the barrel for.

madsenshooter
01-19-2018, 03:22 PM
Nice! I was looking for an action and found a decent sporter (no pictures at the moment) for a good price. I plan to re-barrel it in 6mm Ackley Krag Long and cantilever a scope off the barrel reinforce so I don't muck up the action for the next owner. :)

Hold the reamer short and use .303 British. It's cheaper and easier to find than Krag brass. I came very close to building one with a Obermeyer barrel. Already had it threaded and chambered.Then I got an AR and it seemed having an upper built in 6x45 was an even better idea!

Herb in Pa
01-19-2018, 03:56 PM
Nothing fancy but a good shooter...................

map55b
01-19-2018, 08:00 PM
Hold the reamer short and use .303 British. It's cheaper and easier to find than Krag brass. I came very close to building one with a Obermeyer barrel. Already had it threaded and chambered.Then I got an AR and it seemed having an upper built in 6x45 was an even better idea!

Thanks for the tip. Fortunately, I have plenty of 30-40 Krag brass. :)

S.B.
01-19-2018, 10:48 PM
Screw spacing is all the same, but if you still have a handguard on, you might have to modify Kraghaus' short rail. I had to modify the rail for one of my rifles but I can't recall for which model handguard. Must've been for the 1896 handguard. I only had to remove a small bit of the rail. If you have no handguard, they have a longer model that you can drill and tap more holes in the barrel for.
I don't have a handguard on mine but, according to pictures of rear sights over on Krag Collectors the screws don't look the same spacing to me, anyhow?

Steve

Char-Gar
01-19-2018, 10:51 PM
I hope someone will recognize the rear sight on my gun and tell me who made it. I would love to find an aperture for it so I will have a smaller hole to look through.

That is a Redfield 102 rear sight. The Redfield 102K fitted on the left side and was a no drill installation. Yours is likely a Mauser sight that was fitted by drilling and tapping two holes on the right side of the receiver. None the less, it will take Redfield, Lyman or Williams apertures. Pretty much standard.

Der Gebirgsjager
01-20-2018, 12:59 AM
Nice looking ol' rifle, Herb.

You know, I have most of those sights in my parts drawers. I'll dig some out tomorrow, given the time, and take some measurements. If I remember correctly out of the 5 or so different models at least 3 have the same screw spacing.

RPRNY
01-20-2018, 01:49 AM
My most fun rifle.

madsenshooter
01-20-2018, 12:07 PM
I don't have a handguard on mine but, according to pictures of rear sights over on Krag Collectors the screws don't look the same spacing to me, anyhow?

Steve

Line em up with the holes, they're the same screw spacing. Nice sight collection, you wouldn't happen to have a 1901 sight that is graduated to 2100yds would you? Or maybe a 96 carbine sight?

swheeler
01-20-2018, 02:19 PM
You'll have to excuse the cell phone pictures, they suck but I can't save the pictures from my digital camera.212256212257212258

500Linebaughbuck
01-20-2018, 02:48 PM
Hold the reamer short and use .303 British. It's cheaper and easier to find than Krag brass.

i have many 303s that are made into krag brass. i don't need 30-40 brass anymore but there is still graffs...

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/73152

S.B.
01-20-2018, 04:20 PM
Line em up with the holes, they're the same screw spacing. Nice sight collection, you wouldn't happen to have a 1901 sight that is graduated to 2100yds would you? Or maybe a 96 carbine sight?

No, the farthest mark on mine(1901) is 20 for 2000 yards unless you count the open notch on the top as 2100 ?
Steve

17nut
01-20-2018, 11:28 PM

If you flip the front ring 180degrees around the "clamping part" will be on the bottom of the action and hidden in the stock.

Der Gebirgsjager
01-21-2018, 06:00 PM
Click to enlarge.

Here are 3 different types with one or two variations. Viewed from the top you might not think the hole spacing to be the same, but turned over and with the holes aligned it is apparent that they are.

condorjohn
01-21-2018, 09:42 PM
I would like to put to rest the question of rear sight hole spacing. From 1892 to 1902, they are the same

Paul in Oregon
01-22-2018, 10:56 PM
Hello uscra112 I would love to make a set trigger like the one you showed.Any chance you could show a pic from the other side if it`s different? Thanks ,Paul.

Alstep
01-23-2018, 11:53 PM
I've got a bunch of 30-40 blank brass. Can that brass be reloaded to shoot real bullets or boolits???

uscra112
01-24-2018, 12:25 AM
Hello uscra112 I would love to make a set trigger like the one you showed.Any chance you could show a pic from the other side if it`s different? Thanks ,Paul.

'Fraid not. Those fell off the Internet vine into my hard drive some years ago, actual source now long forgotten. It looks pretty symmetrical to me, though. Or maybe you could talk gnoahhh into photographing his.

Pirate69
01-24-2018, 01:18 AM
I have 30-40 Krag that was sporterized by Mel Johnson. In great shape. He was the inventor of the Johnson Rifle and started the Johnson Automatics Comany. Johnson also had his custom shop located in Hope Valley, Rhode Island where he made custom conversions of surplus bolt action rifles into 'state of the art' hunting rifles. The barrel, a 30-40 Krag, is stamped with Johnson Automatics. Had communications with his son a few years ago. He verified it was one of the rifles done by Johnson in his shop. Need to dig it out of the safe to get some pictures. Shot it a few times and it became a Safe Queen.

map55b
01-24-2018, 02:12 AM
I've got a bunch of 30-40 blank brass. Can that brass be reloaded to shoot real bullets or boolits???

I'd guess yes. I have a bunch of .30-06 blanks, cut one lengthwise and it was just as heavy as the standard GI stuff. This made sense to me because it would be simpler to use the same line to make both. You might wish to do the same to one piece of your brass and see how they measure up. I'd also want to make sure they are not balloon head.

map55b
01-24-2018, 02:17 AM
I have 30-40 Krag that was sporterized by Mel Johnson. In great shape. He was the inventor of the Johnson Rifle and started the Johnson Automatics Comany. Johnson also had his custom shop located in Hope Valley, Rhode Island where he made custom conversions of surplus bolt action rifles into 'state of the art' hunting rifles. The barrel, a 30-40 Krag, is stamped with Johnson Automatics. Had communications with his son a few years ago. He verified it was one of the rifles done by Johnson in his shop. Need to dig it out of the safe to get some pictures. Shot it a few times and it became a Safe Queen.

I'd love to see it! I have a Johnson M41 and a small collection of literature from Johnson Automatics Company.

Gewehr-Guy
01-24-2018, 09:26 AM
Years ago I had a Johnsons Automatics BB gun, looked like a submachine gun, was very well made of some kind of bakelite type plastic, and used a spring type of catapult system to propel the BB. I've never seen another one .

gnoahhh
01-25-2018, 11:21 PM
'Fraid not. Those fell off the Internet vine into my hard drive some years ago, actual source now long forgotten. It looks pretty symmetrical to me, though. Or maybe you could talk gnoahhh into photographing his.

I would be happy to. I'm away from home until Sunday, not checking in much. I'll pull it apart and take some close-up happy snaps for you.

quack1
01-26-2018, 09:18 AM
Although not as good as double set triggers, drilling and tapping the sear for a setscrew can improve trigger pull immensely. I thought the sear would be hardened, but it drilled and tapped easily. Once you get the slack out, the trigger will be loose and able to flop forward freely. To remedy that, I inletted a light spring and plunger to keep the trigger to the rear. The trigger guard holds the spring in.
https://i.imgur.com/cRb5cD1.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Q02kHSN.jpg

Der Gebirgsjager
01-26-2018, 10:47 AM
Nice engineering, Quack. Must take a little tinkering to get the two opposing forces balanced, but I can see where you could get very good results.

quack1
01-26-2018, 09:59 PM
Not much tinkering at all. The spring was the thinnest wire I could find and I even stretched it out a little to weaken it even more. All it does is keep a very light pressure on the front of the trigger to keep it from flopping forward.

Catshooter
01-27-2018, 12:12 AM
There are two threads for the vast majority or apertures. They aren't close to each other either. 10 x 32 is for Marble (I think) and 7/32 x 40 is most everything else. Taps for the 7/32 aren't that hard to find, but I sure would like to find a die for it. Need one.

Cat