PDA

View Full Version : First pewter smelt today

brewer12345
01-07-2018, 04:05 PM
211301[ATTACH]

Did my first pewter smelt today. The hotplate did not cut it, so I resorted to using a propane burner I really don't want to use for this stuff. The pewter melted easily and although I fluxed a few times with beeswax, the junk skimmed off very easily. I poured partial fills of mini muffin pans.and ended up with 36 discs that are just shy of half a pound on average. There was about another pound left in the smelting pot that will probably stay there until I smelt again.

I don't smelt lead, so a dumb question: Do I need to clean the bottom of the smelting pot? There is some black junk on the bottom.

I figure each disc should be perfect to sweeten a full pot of range lead.

pjames32
01-08-2018, 12:32 PM
With the pot cool, I'd dump the remaining pewter and clean it. FWIW...I usually use a large mold (500+/-gr) for my pewter to make it easier to add the amount I want to my mix.

Grmps
01-08-2018, 03:28 PM
I found that 50 cal 320 mini was 1/2 ounce with the pewter I smelted

https://i.imgur.com/Ffx487d.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Axvvj8Z.jpg
[OK not quite 1 ounce but close enough for the girls I go out with]
great for "sweetening" a pot or accurately recreating a favorite alloy.

brewer12345
01-08-2018, 04:28 PM
With the pot cool, I'd dump the remaining pewter and clean it. FWIW...I usually use a large mold (500+/-gr) for my pewter to make it easier to add the amount I want to my mix.

Anything special I should do to clean it? Soap and water?

I might pour the ingots a little smaller next time. For my purposes and as long as I can get pewter for an average of $3 a pound or less, I don't mind if range lead plus pewter gets me to around 40 to 1 plus 1% or so antimony. That should be good for everything but the serious rifle rounds.

pjames32
01-09-2018, 02:28 PM
I'd just wipe the pot our unless there is a lot of debris stuck to the sides/bottom. I'd probably not use water, maybe an abrasive pad. I've never cleaned my smelting pot much. It is an old Dutch oven.

brewer12345
01-09-2018, 06:04 PM
I'd just wipe the pot our unless there is a lot of debris stuck to the sides/bottom. I'd probably not use water, maybe an abrasive pad. I've never cleaned my smelting pot much. It is an old Dutch oven.

Thanks.

lightman
01-13-2018, 02:15 PM
I'm envious of you guys that can find pewter. I find very little thats affordable. I depend on solder for my tin source and the rosin and acid core stuff is messy to work with.

brewer12345
01-13-2018, 03:41 PM
I average about 3 bucks a pound and will buy it online if an auction shows up at that price or better.