PDA

View Full Version : Revolver Crimp (re)Discovery

26Charlie
08-24-2008, 12:52 PM
Haven't shot pistols in quite some time; been playing with rifles. Decided to take some heavy revolvers to the range. A S&W M544 revolver with 5" bbl. in .44-40, a S&W M29 .44 Magnum with 6 !/2" bbl., and a Ruger Bisley Blackhawk with 7 1/2" bbl. in .41 Magnum. No trouble with the Smiths at all, and I discovered I can still shoot heavy loads OK one-handed.
With the Ruger - my loads would chamber only with great difficulty - but when fired, extracted slickly. As a radio operator used to say "What the sh*t, over?" The load was 41028, 210 gr. (a cowboy design before they decided to call it that) with 9.5 gr. 800-X.

Investigation at home - the rounds chambered fine in a Redhawk, and an older Blackhawk. Looking closely, it seemed that the crimp was a trifle short of covering the crimp groove, maybe five thousandths, and the crimp consequently a little bulged. Date on the box was 2002, about the time I picked up a Tru-line Jr. press all set up for .41 Mag. I surmised I had mis-adjusted the seater die and leaned on the crimp a little too much, and that it was not discovered because I didn't try the rounds in all the .41's - and that the Bisley's chambers are a tad tighter than the other guns. I examined some loads dated 1999, which were fine, using the same bullet.

To fix the ammo, I first tried the seater/crimp dies both in the Tru-line and with the older Lachmiller dies I used before, in the Rockchucker. No effect - the rounds still stuck in the Bisley. Then I used the Lachmiller sizing die screwed in a bit at a time - seven threads seemed to size the round to fit without a hitch. Ran them all through, curing the problem.

It then occurred to me that perhaps I should examine all my loaded .41 ammo, and sure enough I found some 175 gr. NEI-bullet loads I had been using in the Redhawk for a bowling pin match, which crimped over the nose, needed the same treatment to chamber in the Bisley. Another load I used in the older Blackhawk also featured a 260 gr. NEI bullet crimped over the nose, and got the treatment also. I had shot some of this load in the Bisley, but with the bullet crimped in the crimp groove.

Lesson relearned - watch the crimp force and location, and try the loads in all the guns you might fire them in. Discovering the problem on the range is an annoyance; discovering it in the field could be a serious problem.

Doc Highwall
08-24-2008, 01:20 PM
I wonder if the LEE factory crimp die would be kinda all time cure for this crimp problem.

Sprue
08-24-2008, 02:00 PM
+1 Doc

It doesn't require one to read very far down in your post before the Lee FCD comes to mind.

That fourth hole in a toolhead serves well.

leftiye
08-24-2008, 04:41 PM
Just push em into a sizing or taper crimp die a little. Just enough to decrease the diameter of the crimp a little.

Bret4207
08-24-2008, 08:31 PM
That Lee FCD works slicker than poop otta a goose for this application and cheap too.

AlaskaMike
08-25-2008, 12:08 PM
I don't know about the Lee FCD for revolver rounds (I use and like it for .45 ACP but never used one for a revolver round), but I absolutely love the Redding Profile Crimp die for all my revolver ammo. It gives a gentle taper crimp and then progresses into the roll crimp. Because of that it totally eliminates the case bulging you get with a regular seat/crimp die.

Mike

MakeMineA10mm
08-25-2008, 12:44 PM
I don't know about the Lee FCD for revolver rounds (I use and like it for .45 ACP but never used one for a revolver round), but I absolutely love the Redding Profile Crimp die for all my revolver ammo. It gives a gentle taper crimp and then progresses into the roll crimp. Because of that it totally eliminates the case bulging you get with a regular seat/crimp die.

Mike

Yep, love that Profile Crimp. It's so good, Dillon copied it in their revolver-caliber crimp dies. Dillon calls it the "accu-crimp" but it's the exact same style as the Redding.

Three44s
08-28-2008, 01:29 AM
The Lee FCD fixed this very problem in .41 in a DW!

When in doubt over which is the best stand alone crimp die (Lee FCD vs. the Redding Profile)...... get BOTH!

..... and use each where it shines the best!

Three 44s