PDA

View Full Version : Question on Hardness and Gas Checks

Vettepartz
01-05-2018, 07:01 PM
Brand new, first post here. Years ago I used to cast my own boolits for reloading 9mm, 45acp, 38Spc. I never thought much about hardness, as I used linotype and lead. Fast forward to the present. I just picked up a bunch of cast boolits from a widow and have some questions. The boxes have labels from Cabelas and gives this info: Bullet = Paul Jones Creedmore, caliber = 45, Weight = 538 grains, Alloy = 20:1, Sized 458/450 and Lube = Sagebrush Alox. Cabelas doesn't list these any more.
I was hoping to make up some reloads with these to use in my Marlin 1895 45-70 and push them out at around 1500-1600 fps. My question is this: Can I use these as they are with this alloy, or do I need to get some PB gas checks or will I have to run some really slow reloads? I appreciate any help I can get in this area.

Rcmaveric
01-05-2018, 07:58 PM
Its a soft alloy 20 parts lead to 1 part tin, great for hunting. Should be fine to run them up to about 1200 fps as is plus or minus a bit. How old are those bullets? More than a year old I would clean the lube off and re lube them. I would take a keen eye to the condition of the lube. At 538 grains I wouldn't want to push them over 1200 fps those bullets are gonna kick like a mule and at 1200 fps would nock a white tail on its keester and you could eat right up to the bullet hole. High weight bullets need less velocity and retain it over longer distances. Do a load work up with them and they should work fine as is.

Vettepartz
01-05-2018, 10:15 PM
Thanks for that info. I was wondering if I put on some of the gas checks made for the PB boolits if there would be anything to gain.

Rcmaveric
01-05-2018, 10:59 PM
The gas checks would help prevent leading above 1200 fps. At 538 grains that's 1.23 ounces. Do some sperimentin and let the gun tell you what it wants.

mehavey
01-06-2018, 08:33 AM
I should have weighed in here earlier

What you have is the Paul Jones (true classic**) heavy 45 rifle bullet for single shots (rolling blocks/Sharps/Ruger#1/`85-`95 Browning High & Low Walls, etc, etc)

http://i45.tinypic.com/30cvhjn.jpg

like its close cousin, the 535 Lyman Postell.....

http://i59.tinypic.com/2iubbcx.jpg

.... it is waaaaaay too long to fit/cycle in a Marlin action.

** See http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?205974-Update-on-Paul-Jones-no-new-mould-orders

upnorthwis
01-06-2018, 12:12 PM
I've shot the Lyman Postell in my Marlin in gong matches. They have to be single loaded and I don't know what I would do if one failed to fire. Would probably have to disassemble the bolt. And the recoil was brutal. I put lead in the stock and a .500 steel bar in magazine to try to tame recoil. It worked until inertia ripped the dovetail out of its slot.

mehavey
01-06-2018, 01:12 PM
recoilOuch....

Bookworm
01-06-2018, 03:34 PM
Man alive, took at the lube grooves.

Wouldn't take long to run through a pound of lube, slickin' them boolits up...

Vettepartz
01-06-2018, 03:52 PM
Original Poster here. It's too bad about them being so long. Here is a picture of this boolit on the right standing next to a 525gr "Pile Driver" from Beartooth Bullets. The PD will cycle in my Marlin. I guess I could always just shoot them as a single shot and not put any in the tube magazine. Probably a good thing, as I would need to sit down a bit after the recoil.

fcvan
01-06-2018, 09:21 PM
I purchased dies to make PB gas checks from PatMarlins (a vendor/member here), makes checks from soda cans. The dies are top shelf and the PB GC Boolits flew true. I haven't loaded any for a few years after I started powder coating my Boolits. I have been able to launch a NOE 150gr 3R GC at 2250fps from my Springfield M1A and my Sig 716 Patrol Rifle with great accuracy. This from 30 cal gas check made from annealed Aluminum flashing and also some printing plate another member sent for me to try.

I have also been able to Launch a NOE 62gr RN PB 2350fps from a 24" NEF/H&R 1871, also with great accuracy. Not so much through an AR because of the pressure needed to cycle the action. I think there is too much base obturation. Mind you, the alloy is just a little softer than Lyman #2. I am going to order some Linotype/equivalent and see if that changes things. I hope this has been helpful. Frank

mehavey
01-06-2018, 09:28 PM
https://s9.postimg.org/4k81wpudr/Paul_Jones-v-_Piledriver.jpg