PDA

View Full Version : Retired and happy

vrh
01-05-2018, 08:58 AM
I'm one of the ol' farts here. Don't have to go to work. Can stay indoors all of the cold winter. Prefer to stay in my garage loading up some bullets for my 243 and 30-06.
Joined a local gun club. So that has been taking up most of my time. Sat down yesterday and loaded up some. My new rule is load in the winter months and shoot in the warmer months.
Here is a tray of the ones I loaded up. Sorry for the quality of the pics. That is the only camera I have available.

Jal5
01-05-2018, 09:41 AM
I do the same process: cast and load enough in the winter to last the rest of the year! It’s good to be retired!

Krag1902
01-05-2018, 09:45 AM
Me too. It's been so cold here (NE) lately that the only thing worthwhile to get done is cast bullets, and I cast a lot of bullets. Been retired for four years now and don't miss working one bit.

CastingFool
01-05-2018, 09:52 AM
I retired a little over 4 yrs ago and I love it. Now, I can hunt every day of the deer season, if I want to, and not have to settle for just hunting on the weekends. I tell folks that every day is Saturday.

dverna
01-05-2018, 11:19 AM
Also retired....nearly 5 years ago. Moved to a smaller place in God’s country. Have my own 100 yd range. Dealing with downsizing as I muddle along.

Too cold to cast in the winter. That is a spring and fall activity for me.

Actually shooting less than when I worked. Used to load 20k shotgun shells a year. This winter plannng on 8k or so. But been shooting more for fun than competition. A lot more pistol and rifle.

Started deer hunting last year and got a nice doe. Passed on a lot of deer this year. Cannot shoot a fawn, spike horn or a doe with fawns. Too much of a softie I guess. Even passed a small 8 point buck. He will be bigger next year.

Teaching the fiancé to shoot. She is hopeless at Trap but a good rifle and pistol shot. Maybe one reason for the move to more rifle and pistol shooting.

DocSavage
01-05-2018, 11:35 AM
Retired end of 2010 had a chance to retire early and I took it. Spend a fair amount of time casting,some shooting and senior citizen's day at the local cinema.

flyer1
01-05-2018, 11:52 AM
I retired 18 monyhs ago. I did not realize retirement was full time. My wife had me busier than any job I have had. Lasted 365 days. I went back to work so I could get some rest. :-)

OldBearHair
01-05-2018, 11:53 AM
DVerna ------ Says the old Native American Indian " Squaw heap purty good reason"

lightman
01-05-2018, 01:56 PM
I retired about 2-1/2 yr ago. I was really bored the first winter after hunting season closed, but I learned to save up things to do during the winter. I've been processing pistol brass lately. I'll do some loading later on. When the temps warm up a little I have a lot of smelting to do. And casting. I plan to shoot more this year. I took up Turkey Hunting. I could never get off in the spring when I was working. I plan to take up fishing.

Dan Cash
01-05-2018, 02:25 PM
I retired in 2006. Moved 1500 miles, built a house, got a bit of hunting done and a bit of reloading with presses mounted to a 2X12 screwed to a pair of saw horses. House is built and a good reloading cave established. More time now as am too old to chase cattle or run hay equipment in season but still too dang busy. I am bone idle at heart.

DocSavage
01-05-2018, 02:48 PM
Anyone who says "you're retired you got all kinds of time." deserves a dope slap I don't know how I got anything done working 8 hours a day.

Bohica793
01-05-2018, 02:59 PM
I retired March 1 of last year and still wonder now how I ever had time to work in the first place.

Walter Laich
01-05-2018, 04:16 PM
retired about 8 years ago. Agree, don't know how I had time for work
days are full and fun

along the Gulf we can cast, coat (PC), load and shoot pretty much year round

elk hunter
01-05-2018, 06:38 PM
I retired April 31, 1999 and then contracted back for a few months, when the boss offered me my old job back at 1/2 time and less money per hour I said; "why would I do that and come to think of it why am I still here". I left and didn't look back. This is the best job I ever had but it does have it's draw backs, i.e. the pay isn't nearly as good, no paid vacation or holidays or double time and one half for working holidays but still better than working at a full time job.

waco
01-05-2018, 07:46 PM
I still have something like 25 years till retirement. Not wishing my life away by any means!:razz:
It will be nice have time to do more things for my wife and myself rather than for "The Man"......
Lord willing I live to see those days.

waco
01-05-2018, 07:48 PM
I retired April 31, 1999 and then contracted back for a few months, when the boss offered me my old job back at 1/2 time and less money per hour I said; "why would I do that and come to think of it why am I still here". I left and didn't look back. This is the best job I ever had but it does have it's draw backs, i.e. the pay isn't nearly as good, no paid vacation or holidays or double time and one half for working holidays but still better than working at a full time job.
Hey neighbor. Where in Central Oregon are you?

Jal5
01-05-2018, 08:01 PM
Also retired....nearly 5 years ago. Moved to a smaller place in God’s country. Have my own 100 yd range. Dealing with downsizing as I muddle along.

Too cold to cast in the winter. That is a spring and fall activity for me.

Actually shooting less than when I worked. Used to load 20k shotgun shells a year. This winter plannng on 8k or so. But been shooting more for fun than competition. A lot more pistol and rifle.

Started deer hunting last year and got a nice doe. Passed on a lot of deer this year. Cannot shoot a fawn, spike horn or a doe with fawns. Too much of a softie I guess. Even passed a small 8 point buck. He will be bigger next year.

Teaching the fiancé to shoot. She is hopeless at Trap but a good rifle and pistol shot. Maybe one reason for the move to more rifle and pistol shooting.

Makes sense to me on selective deer hunting. I enjoy seeing them up close more than shooting one these days!
Then there is bad weather to consider too...i can choose only the best days to hunt now :)

Jal5
01-05-2018, 08:03 PM
retired about 8 years ago. Agree, don't know how I had time for work
days are full and fun

along the Gulf we can cast, coat (PC), load and shoot pretty much year round

Nice!

jimb16
01-05-2018, 08:42 PM
I've been retired for 14 years. Busier now than when I was working! Holidays? The only time I know there is a holiday is when I go to the bank and find it closed!

bstone5
01-05-2018, 09:03 PM
Retired at the age of 70 now 72. Do a little contract work from time to time. Still like to do design work in the Offshore Drilling Industry. The offshore industry is very slow with few offshore drilling units working. Did some work with regard to off shore wind mill installation an interesting area of indevor not a lot here in the US but a lot in Europe and Australia.
Deer hunted this year the first time in 30 years, no deer for me but the grandson got a nice 8 point and bobcat. May hunt next year on a new deer lease.
Stay busy with casting with automated Master Caster and loading pistol ammo with powder coated cast bullets.
Still healthy and go to the gym each week for light workouts.
Trying to keep strength in my legs and upper body.

ole_270
01-05-2018, 09:50 PM
Retired 2nd week of may, plenty to do according to the wife, just don't seem to have time though. I'm busy keeping several rifles tuned up and running, finding new loads for old rifles, trying new molds, keeping several game cameras rolling and picking out interesting bucks to hunt. Had one nice long tined 8 pt that has eluded me for 3 years, told my son, "he don't know it but I'm retired now." Got him too.

Leadmelter
01-05-2018, 10:38 PM
I had to quit last January because colon cancer had invaded my liver and lung. I got the lung thing cleared up and now its time to attack the liver.
My wife is sick with metastatic breast cancer.
I spend my time taking care of us and sorting all the **** I have accumalted over the last 45 years.
Don't wait. It can end in a heart beat.
Leadmelter
MI

smoked turkey
01-05-2018, 11:08 PM
This is an uplifting thread about folks that have earned the right to do as they pretty much please. I am very blessed to have earned an early retirement at 52 years old. I'll be 72 this Sunday. So I am pretty much into this retirement thing. The wife and I are blessed beyond measure and couldn't be happier. I shot a six point buck early in the season and went out the last day of the season which is known as alternate methods here in Missouri, but is muzzleloader for me. It was very cold but I went just to say I did. In late afternoon I uncapped my muzzleloader and just watched a couple of nice does for a while before walking back to the house. Life is good and did I mention we are blessed?

Hossfly
01-05-2018, 11:10 PM
Retired 3 years, got a Dillon 650 at 65th birthday been reloading mostly 9MM and 223 for target and hunting. Started casting 38 and 9MM, WW and Pb, got hooked on that and can’t seem to quit.
Still contract some when they force me to just for pizza money, but try to stay clear of work, enough work at home taking care of 3 horses 2 dogs 2 Orchid greenhouses and wife. Got a couple old jeeps to rebuild 1945 type so there a challenge or just another project,any way got plenty to do here in Louisiana without working. Old chiller tech boiler man Hossfly out.

lightman
01-06-2018, 10:50 AM
I had to quit last January because colon cancer had invaded my liver and lung. I got the lung thing cleared up and now its time to attack the liver.
My wife is sick with metastatic breast cancer.
I spend my time taking care of us and sorting all the **** I have accumalted over the last 45 years.
Don't wait. It can end in a heart beat.
Leadmelter
MI

Gee Leadmelter, we hate to hear this. Hope you both can beat the cancer and enjoy your last years together.

smoked turkey
01-06-2018, 09:01 PM
Good Evening Leadmelter: First let me say I am so sorry that I breezed by your post and posted about my retirement being so great without giving consideration to you and your wife's present situation with your colon cancer and your wife's breast cancer. It was so rude of me and I wanted to let you know that I am truly humbled by your post. I have thought about you and your wife today as I went about my activities. I am a praying person and have had you in my prayers and on my mind today. Being the caregiver for someone is a very tough job. I can't imagine your situation. I am going to echo Lightman(post #25) and say that I am praying for your health needs and really pray that you and your wife beat these cancer problems and can enjoy the retirement that you have earned.
Stan...aka smoked turkey

Grmps
01-06-2018, 10:00 PM
Welcome to CB Hossfly,
Sounds like you will fit right in with us CB addicts.

Rooster
01-06-2018, 10:24 PM
Semi retired as I am running a few varied instructional courses several times a month. Too much to do at the properties to really relax but I do get in my range time. I also make time while lying in bed to read this forum and one other. Staying active helps as far as I can tell with my health, at least so far.

murf205
01-06-2018, 11:27 PM
Be thankful that you have a gun club to join. There are a lot of casters and shooters who have to jump through a lot of hoops just to cast, much less shoot. Good for you, hope you enjoy retirement as much as I have.

Tom W.
01-07-2018, 12:19 AM
I retired April 31, 1999.

Where do you live that you have 31 days in April?

I got medically retired a few days before Christmas last year when my colon cancer returned. It's been a rough year, but I'm still kicking. Lori expects me to vacuum when I feel well enough, and I have no qualms about trying to keep the kitchen clean, but I have loaded so much that I'm out of small pistol primers and brass..... lots of boolits though!

kevin c
01-07-2018, 02:51 AM
I just retired this past week. I have already cast 2700 pistol bullets, coated and baked once, second coat on and ready to bake, been to the gym twice, been to the range once, and have read two books cover to cover. So much to do.

Lead melter, Tom W., I am sure that all here will think and wish and pray for you and yours.

hardcase54
01-07-2018, 02:58 AM
Went to work in 1957( paying ss, still paying) officially retired 11/2007. Still running a small business. I was diagnosed with lung cancer Nov 2014 , had left lung removed, in Dec 2014. Good til 2016 now have metastatic lung cancer in the spine and pelvis, but God gives us no more than we can handle with his help. Still shooting loading, and swaging. Can no longer cast.

hardcase54
01-07-2018, 03:00 AM
Oh yeah, still " HAPPY AND RETIRED"

JMax
01-07-2018, 05:37 PM
Retired a year and a half ago. Stopped flying all over the world every week and now spend time with grand kids on some weekends, cast and shoot during the week, travel around with the wife exploring this part of the world. I get a new left shoulder on Thursday to go with knees and lenses from 2012 and 2014 but nothing like cancer. I will turn 70 in three weeks and should have retired earlier.

6bg6ga
01-07-2018, 05:43 PM
Will be retiring in May God willing. Looking forward to some free time.

Reverend Al
01-07-2018, 05:55 PM
I retired at 58 nearly 7 years ago (I turn 65 in February) and have never regretted the decision. Like so many of us my health was declining and it was just time to call it quits before the job made me any worse. I had several years of enjoyable retirement, mostly loading and shooting, but also spending some time on my two '60's collector Mustangs. Over the past year I've developed heart issues (which run in my family, so it was not unexpected) and will be looking at some major surgery sometime later in 2018 if all goes according to plan. Still trying to get out to shoot with friends at 3 of our local gun clubs as time and health permits, but I do run out of energy quickly. Don't leave it too late in life to finally do all of the things that you'd like to do before the clock runs out. Having said that, if things suddenly went really badly tomorrow I would have absolutely no regrets. I've had a wonderful life surrounded by a wonderful family and couldn't ask for more ...

RichardF
01-07-2018, 08:08 PM
I retired July of 2014, 3 days after turning 62. Stayed retired for around 18 months and went to work for a friend part time. Best job I ever had, work the hours I want to work and he really appreciates my being there!! I have gotten involved in BSF and a fledgling church plant and those are starting to take up more time so I may have to retire on a full time basis to keep up. I will be praying for you all with health issues.

MT Gianni
01-07-2018, 09:48 PM
I retired last year and recommend it to all except my medical people and financial advisor. My wife still works but I keep my mouth shut around her too.

Shuz
01-08-2018, 12:06 PM
Last year on June 2,I hit a milestone. On that date I became retired for 25 years and I only worked for 25 years! I was one of those lucky dogs that you read about who got an "early out", from a large Fortune 500 company,due to a plant slowdown. So,I retired at 51, and have done nothing since but serve the Lord, reload, hunt, fish and travel! I am so blessed!

Cherokee
01-08-2018, 12:36 PM
I retired in May 2009, never looked back. Have been able to load and shoot more than ever before. Don't see how I had the time to work and do all the other things I did, and now time flies. Enjoy !!

fcvan
01-08-2018, 01:51 PM
I retired (the first time) at the end of 2011. I worked 28 years as a LT (LEO in CA) and reached 50. Oldest daughter was having her second and was bed rested for 5 months, youngest daughter was graduating High School out in CO. I needed 2012 off, so I retired. Man that was fun! when I could I made the circuit of CO to see the Mrs.m So CA to see my parents/brother, Nor CA to see grandkids/brother, repeat. Good times! Didn't do much hunting or fishing but I sure did a lot of casting, learned to powder coat and think that is awesome, did some maintenance on the house at west, and in the Rockies. At the end of 2013, my youngest moved out and my wife asked if I was going to go finish my full 30 (we had always talked about that). I went back, picked up a few raises along the way which substantially bumped my pension.

Back to retirement, 3 grand babies now, middle daughter stays and keeps an eye on the house, which is less than a mile from her sister or uncle or the Pacific. Mom, Dad, and oldest brother are all good down south. The doctors in CO are trying to figure out whats going on with her insides (not cancer) so we will see. I'd just like to get the pesky bear that keeps coming in my back yard. This year, she had 2 cubs with her and there are tons of security camera images of the on the front porch, in the driveway, in the back yard, but no pictures of bear meat in my freezer. Mule deer like to pee on my wife's back yard, and a cougar likes to wait under the sun porch for the deer. Did I mention I live in town? To me, every day is not like Saturday but more like the first Monday of a long vacation. I'm rested and ready to go.

Binky
01-08-2018, 02:24 PM
In my whole life, I never had a problem not working! My problem was not having any money!(or acquiring it without having to spend time in jail!) At 65.5 I figured(with a little help from my financial advisor) I could make the switch. The stock market had been good to me and except for my affliction concerning interweb purchases, I live a fairly simple life. After 3 1/2 years folks have stopped asking if I want to go back to work. I fish a little, hunt a little, reload, cast and spend a little time on the confuser. Do a few projects around the house. (Current project is reorganizing my reloading room - - trying to establish some order after living in this house for 14 years!) The only part of work I miss is the part where they payed me to stay home for 9 days a year(paid holidays) and the 4 weeks of vacation that I don't get paid to not come to work! Life is good!

LAH
01-08-2018, 07:50 PM
Never a problem with work or getting out of bed. I retired the day job at 50. Closed the bullet business for good when I was 60. I'm 67 now & have never felt the need to go back to a job. I'm happy & love my current routine. I study at least an hour each morning & normally longer. I can workout every day afterward. I can shoot 3 or 4 times a week. While I'm not a big time hunter I do like to fish. Barbara & I dearly love being retired. All I really have in this life is the time my Lord gives me & I want to make the most of it.

NMLRA Guy
01-08-2018, 10:38 PM
Been retired 18 years this month. I recommend it! I do some shooting, some loading, some writing. Just got my third gun book in print. Be 83 next month.
NMLRA Guy

murf205
01-10-2018, 10:10 PM
I'm one of the ol' farts here. Don't have to go to work. Can stay indoors all of the cold winter. Prefer to stay in my garage loading up some bullets for my 243 and 30-06.
Joined a local gun club. So that has been taking up most of my time. Sat down yesterday and loaded up some. My new rule is load in the winter months and shoot in the warmer months.
Here is a tray of the ones I loaded up. Sorry for the quality of the pics. That is the only camera I have available.

Pretty much fun isn't it. I retired at 62yrs and 7 days. Never looked back and I had a very good job. Beat cancer and now have a 3yr old grandson that makes every step I do and I love it! Who wouldn't want to spend time with this guy? You couldn't work me with a laxative!