PDA

View Full Version : Number Of +P Loads from 38

Kawriverrat
01-03-2018, 07:05 PM
Any body kept a record of number of +P loads you get out of your 38 brass. Say in the neighborhood of 5.5 of Unique 150 -158 boolit... Jeff

osteodoc08
01-03-2018, 07:31 PM
I haven't kept records but I imagine it's still gonna be quite a bit, to the point of not being that concerned about it. Even on my Mag brass I've got some with 10-15 moderate loadings and are fine. Nickel cases crack sooner and the amount of mouth work has the most influence in my experience with how long the brass lasts.

Kawriverrat
01-03-2018, 09:23 PM
Thanks for that. I was curious because I dont shoot full bore 357 loads all the time dont own a 38 specific gun & wish to start making use of my stockpile of 38 brass.... Jeff

tazman
01-03-2018, 09:43 PM
I don't count the number of reloads. I just shoot them until the crack.
I know some of mine have over 15 loads per case. It makes the brass pretty cheap as far as cost.

FergusonTO35
01-03-2018, 10:12 PM
I have one batch of brass that I would bet has been loaded 30 times. Each time, one or two case mouths split and they get discarded. Somebody on this forum did some measurements and found that modern .38 Special and .357 Magnum brass is identical except for case length.

Honcho
01-04-2018, 12:19 AM
I would agree with all the posts, .38 Spl. brass can last a LONG time if you're not hot rodding them! My target loads of 2.8 Gr. of Bullseye with a HBWC bullet work great in both the .38 Spl. and .357 Magnum, but I always put a "Walter's" fiber wad on top of the powder charge, to keep it right next to the primer. (We old timers always used to elevate the muzzle before firing the wadcutter loads, so the powder would fall back onto the powder, because of the long case, before Walter's wads came out--)
I concealed carry a Charter Arms .38 Spl. snubby, every day, that is rated "+P", but don't use a lot of it for practice, just my carry loads. The "+P" rated brass I have lasts just as long as the regular .38 Spl. fodder.

reddog81
01-04-2018, 02:05 AM
Until they start to crack.

I've got multiple batches of 50 with 25 or more reloads. Once they get much above that I usually retire the brass and move on to the next batch. By retire I mean load it with a favorite load and only shoot it if I'm running low on loaded rounds.

FergusonTO35
01-04-2018, 09:27 PM
I would agree with all the posts, .38 Spl. brass can last a LONG time if you're not hot rodding them! My target loads of 2.8 Gr. of Bullseye with a HBWC bullet work great in both the .38 Spl. and .357 Magnum, but I always put a "Walter's" fiber wad on top of the powder charge, to keep it right next to the primer. (We old timers always used to elevate the muzzle before firing the wadcutter loads, so the powder would fall back onto the powder, because of the long case, before Walter's wads came out--)
I concealed carry a Charter Arms .38 Spl. snubby, every day, that is rated "+P", but don't use a lot of it for practice, just my carry loads. The "+P" rated brass I have lasts just as long as the regular .38 Spl. fodder.

I use magnum primers in .38 Special for basically the same effect.

Bookworm
01-04-2018, 09:54 PM
Thanks for that. I was curious because I dont shoot full bore 357 loads all the time dont own a 38 specific gun & wish to start making use of my stockpile of 38 brass.... Jeff

This is precisely why the 358-156 boolit was designed.

It's a gas check design, with 2 crimp grooves. If one uses the lower groove - closer to the base of the boolit - in 38Spl brass, the resulting cartridge will not fit in a 38Spl.

It will, however, fit a 357 Mag chamber.

And, the case will have the capacity of a 357 Mag. The idea was, that back in the day, 357 brass was expensive, but 38 brass was everywhere. This way, the cheap, plentiful 38 brass could be loaded with 357 data, and fired in a 357, without worrying about it accidentally being used in a 38.

Kawriverrat
01-04-2018, 10:16 PM
At some point would like to get a 358156. But the gas check is a pain for what I'm wanting here.

However I have no desire or need for the extra powder capacity offfered by using a 358156 or a 357 case. I want the lesser capacity of the 38. There are times when the 38's lesser powder capaity is a plus for certain loads.... Jeff

44MAG#1
01-04-2018, 10:38 PM
""It's a gas check design, with 2 crimp grooves. If one uses the lower groove - closer to the base of the boolit - in 38Spl brass, the resulting cartridge will not fit in a 38Spl.""

This is how misinformation is passed along. If you are talking about Thompsons 358156 from Lyman when seated in the groove closest to the base for the longer length they will more than fit in my J frame M37 Smith.
I know I've shot them like that.

44MAG#1
01-04-2018, 11:54 PM
Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
""It's a gas check design, with 2 crimp grooves. If one uses the lower groove - closer to the base of the boolit - in 38Spl brass, the resulting cartridge will not fit in a 38Spl.""

This is how misinformation is passed along.
I didnt even want to bother addressing it... Jeff"

Sorry then.

Kawriverrat
01-05-2018, 02:57 PM
Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post

This is how misinformation is passed along.
I didnt even want to bother addressing it... Jeff"

Sorry then.

No reason at all for apology. Probably best some one said some thing... Jeff