PDA

View Full Version : First PC'd boolits

44Blam
01-02-2018, 09:43 PM
I made my first PC boolits today! I need to cast some more so I can coat some more...

Anyway, I bought a little thing of Harbor Freight Red and a thing of Airsoft BBs. The first little fun thing was when I got the thing of airsoft BBs home, I found that there was a GUN IN THE CANISTER of BBs!!! Woot! (of course now I have those **** things everywhere)...

So, my first coating didn't really cover the boolits quite well enough, so I recoated and rebaked. They came out pretty decent looking. But I think I'm going to go ahead and buy the spray gun...And more colors...

These guys are 405 grn (actually they are 401-402 grn) and are sized to .460. I'm a little new to reloading for my 45-70, so I decided to do a ladder between Lee's recommendation of starting load and max. So, I'll shoot 'em and see!
Anyway, my wife came by while I was loading these and she said "aww, those are cute little lipsticks!". *Grumble* *Grumble* *Grumble*

RP
01-03-2018, 12:25 AM
When I first looked at the thread I saw the pistol and I was think what in the heck has this guy done to his pistol lol but a airsoft pistol its not bad looking. Other powders coat better then the HF I have not tried any of Smokes powders but the reports say they cover good with shake and bake. You may want to contact him I think he has a sample pack of colors.

I do not promote him or his product as a mod just trying to be helpful nothing to gain on my end or the site. This is the disclaimer part lol. Welcome to the PC world.

BTW my wife said the same thing about my 45/70 PC in red I told her if you got kissed by this lipstick it would be a bad day

44Blam
01-03-2018, 01:02 AM
LOL! That's what I was thinking when I was grumbling...

That little airsoft gun shoots pretty straight but a bit high. I plinked a couple cans while my PC was cooking... :)

RKJ
01-03-2018, 06:57 AM
If I can give some advice, stay with the HF red and don't get any of their other colors. I've not got decent coverage with any other color from them. I've tried Smoke4320's powder and it works great. I personally like the Jet Black & Signal Blue, but guys are mixing colors for some real nice combinations. He used to sell a sample pack that had 1/4 pound each of 4 colors for $20.00, but I'm not sure if he still offers it. He sells a very good powder, plus is a good guy to do business with. I don't have any connection with him (other than buying that sample pack a few years ago, and I do need to get some more), I just like the product so try and tell folks of it.

jimb16
01-05-2018, 08:53 PM
I'd be interested in that kind of sample pack myself. even if it were a bit more $.

MyFlatline
01-05-2018, 10:50 PM
Agree about the HF Red, it does spray nice tho. Higher quality powders do actually do better. Welcome to the world of coating...most folks ramp up casting just to coat..

Hossfly
01-05-2018, 11:26 PM
I agree with MyFlatline HF Red works good with one coat, other colors not so good. Tried some Eastwood powder Ford light Blue, Mirror Red had excellent coverage, just need to buy in 1 lb. bags to get best bang for buck on shipping. I’ve rebuilt an old Lyman vibrator to coat boolits. Works very well at 15 min. Then bake at 400’ for 20 mins.

W.R.Buchanan
01-07-2018, 03:16 PM
44blam: you boolits look far better than the ones on the cover of the current Handloader Magazine..

I guess it really isn't that hard to do a decent job if you want to.

Randy