PDA

View Full Version : 45-70 & wc846 "help"

gtim88
08-23-2008, 09:18 PM
I'm trying to get a deer hunting load put together. I am shooting a H & R 45-70
using unsized water quinched ww's 457122 hollow points weighing approwimately 340 grains lubed with LS's 2500 and winchester large rifle magnum primers using a Lee factory crimp on the top band. I have several pounds of wc846 purchased from Pats about a year and a half ago.

I didn't set up the chrono today as it has been raining and windy here while whats left of t.s. Fay is passing over.

I started with 40gr of 846 extremely squib loads at 80yds the bullet was falling short. I only loaded and shot 3 rounds. Two rounds fell a couple feet short of the target and one round fell 15 ft short. Each round had a different report. There was lots of unburned powder. Dacron filler used.

At 42gr nothing changed much. Dacron filler used.

At 44gr two rounds were the same, little recoil and fell short of the target, but one had substantial recoil and smacked the target within the 5" ring. No dacron.

At 46gr things got interesting. I thought the first round was a misfire until I saw smoke. I ejected the shell and along with it came the powder. I went back to the bench and drove the lodged bullet out of the barrel with a wood dowel. I cleaned everything up and promptly discarded the rest of those primers. I went back with three of the same load only a new box of wlrm primers. Two rounds hit the target and there was modest felt recoil. One round apeared to do the same thing, I saw smoke, but nothing, then boom it went off. Delayed reaction approximately 1.5 seconds. The spent cases had a substantial amount of smoke on the outside.
No Dacron.

At 48gr everything else remaining the same, all three fired, good felt recoil, group was the size of my fist, no high pressure signs, much less unburned powder, and a much larger flame at muzzle. No dacron.

I'll continue on when I get home from work in three weeks hopefully the weather will be better.

I don't think the primers were the problem. My friend Jeff said this powder may be sensative to reduced loads.

Has anyone here experienced this? What are your thoughts besides use another powder (my plan).

Thanks
Tim

Bullshop
08-23-2008, 09:29 PM
I believe your problem was just too low pressure to burn the powder.
I was using wc846 from bartlets about 20 years ago in the 45/70 marlin at 52gn with the RCBS 425gn boolit and yealded just under 1800 fps. It was my favorite hunting load with the Marlin. I use up two 8 lb kegs and had to hunt for more.
Fast forward about 15 years and I was finally able to get two more kegs from Jeff. The second lot is so slow it is usless in the 45/70 even with heavily compressed loads. It will just barely break the sound bearier with a compressed load and magnum primer.
If the lot you have is the same as the second lot I have forget about it in your 45/70.
It takes more pressure than you will be able to get in the straight wall case to get it to burn with any uniformity.
Blessings
bic/bs

Bullshop
08-23-2008, 09:32 PM
Oh btw I can get you the lot number of the current batch I have if you want.

gtim88
08-23-2008, 09:37 PM
thanks Bullshop

If it's not too much trouble, Lot number would be good.

tim

Scrounger
08-23-2008, 09:53 PM
Seems like I remember some people posting about using a couple of grains of Bullseye and similar powders under a caseful of super slow powders to make it burn better; raises pressure/velocity and doesn't leave unburned powder in the barrel.

gtim88
08-23-2008, 10:06 PM
Hey Scrounger

I've read those posts too. If I'm not mistaken, they are using the 50 bmg powders such as wc860 and 872. I would like some info if anyone has tried this with wc846 and 45-70

snuffy
08-31-2008, 06:03 PM
I had the same results with WC-846 in my H&R buffalo classic 45/70. Take a look at my post on this forum here. Last post on that page, last paragraph.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=19852&page=2

I can't say for sure, but I guess the pwder is just too slow to be used in that particular load/rifle combo.

I know the powder works, I tried some in .223 here lately with J-word bullets, they worked quite good.