PDA

View Full Version : SSA Brass Question

tred1956
01-02-2018, 05:44 PM
I know nothing about this brass. Is it comparable with other brass? The reason I ask is Nosler has some of it on Closeout at what looks to be a good price. Also some Combined Technology Bullets Here is link:

http://shop.nosler.com/closeouts/shopby/utm_source//utm_campaign//utm_medium/.html

Safe shooting
Doug

hornet112
01-02-2018, 07:04 PM
I saw the same brass just made me wonder why it was on closeout. But I'm like you I know nothing about it.

maxreloader
01-02-2018, 07:16 PM
They have 47 bags of the 223 left. Called and was told it was a discon/closeout item which (and I quote) "May or may not mean the company has gone out of business and/or discontinued to support a particular product". Caveat Emptor!

Pipefitter
01-02-2018, 08:24 PM
I just pulled the trigger on the .224 55gn ballistic tipped coated bullets for $12.95/100. i can't make or buy bullets for that price, let alone the moly coated bullets.

maxreloader
01-02-2018, 09:25 PM
I just pulled the trigger on the .224 55gn ballistic tipped coated bullets for $12.95/100. i can't make or buy bullets for that price, let alone the moly coated bullets.

Pipe, those are coated with Lubalox... which isn't exactly the same as "moly"... I saw them bullets and figured they were too good to pass up and found this on them: http://www.shootforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=20547
I have no experience with Lubalox but wanted to mention it.

barkerwc4362
01-02-2018, 10:07 PM
SSA makes superior brass. Anyone who has shot 6.8 SPC will vouch for the quality. I believe Nosler purchased SSA, so they may be transitioning all the brass to a Nosler headstamp. If I had a need for commercial 223 brass and the prices was right I would jump on it.

Bill

Ianagos
01-02-2018, 10:11 PM
SSA makes superior brass. Anyone who has shot 6.8 SPC will vouch for the quality. I believe Nosler purchased SSA, so they may be transitioning all the brass to a Nosler headstamp. If I had a need for commercial 223 brass and the prices was right I would jump on it.

Bill

I don't mean to doubt you but i heard that SSA brass was not the greatest out there and quality was a bit lacking. i considered this deal too as they have some .243 for $20 per hundred but after doing some research i decided against it.

maxreloader
01-02-2018, 10:44 PM
For the record I know absolutely nothing about SSA, I only know what what I was told when I called Nosler. Quite often "the broom sweeps clean in a buyout so there you go. Clearance items IMO are always a 50/50 ****-shoot...

tred1956
01-02-2018, 11:50 PM
Thanks fellows. Exactly what I needed to know
Safe shooting
Doug

BCB
01-03-2018, 11:23 AM

Bill

I agree...

I have put hundreds of rounds downrange in my Contender Carbine in the 6.8mm SPC caliber and much of the brass was SSA. It was some of the first brass I purchased new several years ago and it is still going. Some has been fired at least 9 times, without looking at my records. None was annealed...

It's been good for me in the one caliber I used it with...

Good-luck...BCB