PDA

View Full Version : Outrageous BS

Denver
08-23-2008, 09:06 PM
My FFL dealer friend told me today that UPS wanted $64 to ship a handgun by overnight air! Needless to say he told them to stick it. This has gone from bad to worse and it's obvious they're taking full advantage of a situation caused mainly by there own employees.
As far as I can remember, it has always been illegal for an unlicsensed individual to use the US postal service to ship handguns. For a service owned by the citizens of this country and largely subsidized by taxpayer money, why in hell is this service denied to you and I?

500bfrman
08-23-2008, 09:12 PM
I shipped a handgun and UPS wanted 83!! But if your friend has an FFL just have him do it USPS. right?

jswaff
08-23-2008, 09:14 PM
Has anyone ever tried shipping a handgun in pieces? Slide in one box, frame in another, grips and mags in another? Might save a little bit of a hassle.

buck1
08-23-2008, 09:22 PM
If its the main pice with the # on it (action) its not a part, but a gun. Or so I hear.
Your local gun shop will know the best way to ship thats legal and cost efective.
PS UPS is the one shipper that I will not use.

Blammer
08-23-2008, 09:37 PM
my ffl uses the USPS $12 priority box, no problems.. :)

Scrounger
08-23-2008, 09:45 PM
Has anyone ever tried shipping a handgun in pieces? Slide in one box, frame in another, grips and mags in another? Might save a little bit of a hassle.

Pointless. The shipping costs would be even worse than shipping it in one piece because the part, frame, receiver, wherever the serial number is, still has to be shipped to a dealer in the approved shipping method.

mike in co
08-23-2008, 11:10 PM
what are you trying to accomplish ?

are you selling a gun. buying a gun or what ??

different rules for each situtation

mike in co

Hardcast
08-23-2008, 11:38 PM
My FFL dealer friend told me today that UPS wanted $64 to ship a handgun by overnight air! Needless to say he told them to stick it. This has gone from bad to worse and it's obvious they're taking full advantage of a situation caused mainly by there own employees.
As far as I can remember, it has always been illegal for an unlicsensed individual to use the US postal service to ship handguns. For a service owned by the citizens of this country and largely subsidized by taxpayer money, why in hell is this service denied to you and I?

"Largely subsidized by taxpayer money"? Where did you get this misinformation?

Jim
08-24-2008, 01:23 AM
Scrounger's right. The frame with the serial number MUST be shipped according to the rules. The rest of the gun you can send by carrier pidgeon if ya' wanna'. No need to, though. Send the whole thing by the rules and you don't spend extra money.

Lloyd Smale
08-24-2008, 07:30 AM
mine too. He just adds insurance
my ffl uses the USPS $12 priority box, no problems.. :)

mike in co
08-24-2008, 09:35 AM
"Largely subsidized by taxpayer money"? Where did you get this misinformation?

a) i believe he was refering to usps not ups.

B) he is wrong...usps is a self funded government function...no longer government funded.

mike in co

dakotashooter2
08-29-2008, 03:11 PM
Have the recipient charge UPS $30 to step onto his property to deliver it.

On a somewhat related issue has ANYONE ever heard of any incidents with UPS transporting primers or powder that would warrant a hazmat fee??

Bad Water Bill
08-29-2008, 05:18 PM
I think back in the 70s a U P S truck did burn and there were primers on board. That was then this is a scam by U P S and the catalog company. Show me 2 companies that ship the same powder and or primers for the same hazmat fee.

shotman
09-03-2008, 02:10 AM
guys the high ups price is for NEXT DAY--- usps is very high too for NEXT DAY ups has a 2nd day saver for guns that is $20 usps if you want to take the chance that it will get there you can send it They dont ask if it is a gun but if the package comes open you have lost it .As a FFl i have to give them a copy of my license to keep on file to SHIP a gun because I insure it . The usps dont ask if its a gun , they only ask if hazardous. Next ups will let powder and primers ship together Graf does it all the time shot man /rick