PDA

View Full Version : Must be getting old; trigger really affected accuracy.

Idaho45guy
12-31-2017, 07:38 PM
Started shooting in GSSF matches last Summer and won the newbie class with my 10mm G29. Guys said I needed a G34 or G35 to be really competitive, so I bought a G35; the .40 S&W version of the Glock match pistol.

I knew the trigger was awful compared to my G29's stock trigger, and I was having trouble getting it to group better than 3" at 25yds when my 10mm will do less than 2" pretty easily.

Went to a match last month and came in 2nd overall with it and had the Glock armorer take a look at it. He said it was pretty bad at around 9-10lbs and gritty.

I replaced everything (for under $50) and it is now lighter and almost as good as my other Glock's trigger.

Took it back to the range and got a best group of 1 5/8" at 25yds. Got a couple more almost as small as well. Very happy with the pistol now, even though those group sizes are pretty big for a "match" pistol, they are dang good for a Glock.

I didn't realize just how much trigger pull can affect accuracy; guess I've never had a pistol with that bad of a trigger before.

6bg6ga
12-31-2017, 07:40 PM
WOW!! My Glock 35 measure in at 3.25-3.5 lbs trigger pull. Yes, trigger pull and slop play a part in accuracy.

tazman
12-31-2017, 09:22 PM
I am not a competitor. I just enjoy shooting small groups.
Any time I get a handgun with a trigger in excess of 4 pounds, I have accuracy issues far worse than yours. If I have a heavy trigger, I flinch and jerk the trigger.
With light triggers I don't do that. Not certain why. It just is.

6bg6ga
12-31-2017, 09:45 PM
When one pulls the trigger it is supposed to be a surprise and not a long drawn out painful process.

Idaho45guy
12-31-2017, 09:57 PM
When one pulls the trigger it is supposed to be a surprise and not a long drawn out painful process.

Sounds like my last marriage...

MyFlatline
12-31-2017, 09:59 PM

ROFLMAO me too twice...

tazman
12-31-2017, 10:03 PM

Now I have to dry off my keyboard. Too funny.

dubber123
12-31-2017, 11:25 PM
I have had plenty of shooters say their triggers are just fine and don't need to be any lighter, until you hand them something with a good trigger on it. Suddenly they can feel the weight and creep they have been dealing with. I've gotten to be a trigger snob in my old age :)

dverna
12-31-2017, 11:41 PM
Many of we older guys grew up when about the only game in town was Bullseye competition. We grew up with guns that HAD to have good triggers. High Standards, S&W M41ks, Clark’s, K38’s, Pythons, etc etc.

Stock Glock triggers feel like ****. I carry a Glock, but it not a target gun.

In fact, I do not want a trigger with less than a 4 lb pull on a defensive gun.

country gent
12-31-2017, 11:41 PM
Well with a 8 lb trigger pull it hard to keep a 2 lb handgun from moving. What is a real eye opener is a single action pull may be 4-5 lbs and feel much lighter due to crispness and travel. A 1911 with the right 4 lb pull may actually feel like 2 lbs to some shooters due to thee reasons. A good tuned trigger can make a big difference.

lefty o
01-01-2018, 12:24 AM
triggers are important, many people will jump up and down and say it doesnt matter, but they are wrong!

Idaho45guy
01-01-2018, 10:45 AM
I grew up shooting only 4 firearms; a Browning BLR22 lever-action, a Model 70 XTR Featherweight in .257 Roberts, Berretta Silver Snipe over/under .20 ga, and a Ruger Single-Six .22.

All had pretty decent triggers.

Then I started buying guns for myself as an adult and didn't really pay attention to triggers until I got into BPCR competition and got accustomed to the 2.5lb trigger on my Winchester 1885 High Wall.

When I went from it to pulling the trigger on my Ruger M77, I realized just how crappy the triggers were on some of my firearms.

Never really concentrated on accuracy in pistol shooting until going to matches this past summer and it's amazing how much I don't know about shooting at a higher level.

GEOMETRIC
01-01-2018, 11:42 AM
Yea, triggers do make a difference. I once missed a deer because of a crummy trigger. Well, it was me that missed the deer but I don't think I would have with a decent trigger. I could only see his head but I should have made the shot. I later killed that same deer. I have owned jamomatics (hand guns) but now shoot only wheel guns. Never had a trigger problem with either of them.

ReloaderFred
01-01-2018, 01:29 PM
As far as I'm concerned, a good firearm should be built around a good trigger, not the other way around. When my department switched over to the Glocks, some know it all in the training division decided we needed 600 Model 22's with "New York triggers". My Skillsaw had a better trigger than the pistol I was issued did. Miserable thing to have to shoot, and when I retired I was more than happy to turn that thing in.

I grew up on S&W revolvers, which had glass smooth double action pulls and crisp single action triggers. I guess I was just spoiled by quality at a young age.

Hope this helps.

Fred