PDA

View Full Version : Help Identifying OLD molds...

maxreloader
12-31-2017, 12:37 PM
Some of the oddball molds I have saved over the years. No clue about any of these, just thought they were cool so held onto them when going through purchases...

Maven
12-31-2017, 01:34 PM
maxreloader, The 7 cavity mold at the bottom left isn't a bullet mold, but a suppository mold. My parent were pharmacists and in the 1930's - early '40's, had to learn to roll pills, compound medicines, fill toothpaste tubes, and "cast" suppositories. I have such a mold on my casting bench as I write.

maxreloader
12-31-2017, 01:41 PM
No krap! pun intended hahaha. Well since its made of brass into the scrap bucket it goes.

NoZombies
12-31-2017, 05:31 PM
He is correct that the mold mentioned is a suppository mold. I wouldn't scrap it, it has some value as an antique.

Close ups would help identifying the others, but I see at least one bag mold for a flintlock.

Good Cheer
12-31-2017, 06:49 PM
Well, just thinking out loud but if it's a brass mold then maybe what you really need is a barrel to shoot the boolits in. :happy dance:

Traffer
12-31-2017, 07:13 PM
maxreloader, The 7 cavity mold at the bottom left isn't a bullet mold, but a suppository mold. My parent were pharmacists and in the 1930's - early '40's, had to learn to roll pills, compound medicines, fill toothpaste tubes, and "cast" suppositories. I have such a mold on my casting bench as I write.

So you have to shoot em in a certain area when making boolits with it? Wax boolits?

maxreloader
12-31-2017, 08:26 PM
So you have to shoot em in a certain area when making boolits with it? Wax boolits?

:shock:

ascast
12-31-2017, 08:58 PM
Some of the oddball molds I have saved over the years. No clue about any of these, just thought they were cool so held onto them when going through purchases...
I'd sell the suppository mold, worth more to collector than scrap brass. The one with the square plug is ( I think) for a breach loader, flintlock, french, mid 1700. The lug is used to unscrew the barrel for breach loading. the other 2 steel look like Colts patent types or knockoffs, maybe Maynards, the other brass looks blacksmith made

maxreloader
12-31-2017, 09:14 PM
and to think I thought that was a paper-patch design boolit mold! :holysheep

if any member casts their own wax... pm me and I'll ship it to you for postage.

lead-1
01-10-2018, 04:43 AM
Save the suppository mold for when you and your friends are sitting around shooting the "bull", you can use it to reload.