PDA

View Full Version : Winchester 1885 Traditional Hunter 38-55

Nrut
08-23-2008, 05:07 PM
I am interested in one of these rifles but would like to know the twist rate, groove and bore dia.(I plan on shooting jacketed along with cast boolits)...Also I would like to know if they are are D&T on top of the receiver and barrel so one can mount a scope for load testing...
Living here in Canada I would have to import this rifle site unseen as Davidson won't ship to Canadain dealers is why I ask these questions..
Thanks for your replies...:)

Doc Highwall
08-23-2008, 06:40 PM
Yes they are drilled and taped for scope. I will have to check the twist rate on mine, I forget what it is. The groove dia on mine is .3764 and the bore is .3680

ktw
08-23-2008, 06:45 PM
Are you asking for people's personal experience? (I don't have any).

Davidsons gives values for all those specs on their site.

SAFETY: Half Cock Safety
TYPE: Rifle
SIGHTS: Marbles Blade Front & Rear Tang Mounted Peep
CALIBER: 38-55
BARREL LENGTH: 28" w/Semi-Buckhorn Rear Sight, Rifling 1-18
FINISH: Blue
OVERALL LENGTH: 44.5"
ACTION: Single Shot
WEIGHT: 9 lbs
STOCK: Walnut, Satin, Checkered, Straight
FEATURES: Octagonal BBL, Bore Diam's: Lands .368 Grooves .376
FEATURES: Davidson's Exclusive Spec Edtn w/Auth Certificate
BUTT PLATE: Crescent Butt Plate with Strap on Top
RECEIVER: Blue, Drilled & Tapped

-ktw

Nrut
08-23-2008, 07:35 PM
Thanks to both of you ktw and Doc Highwall!...The twist maybe a little slower than I want but the groove and bore dia. are just what the doctor ordered...And I'll be ordering one next week..
thanks again!..:-D.

Idaho Sharpshooter
08-24-2008, 12:24 AM
My suggestion would be to wait for the Pedersoli Target Model. It has the 1:12" twist which makes it a 1000 yard gun if you PP.

Rich

lotech
08-24-2008, 09:01 AM
If you can find a copy, HANDLOADER #210 (April-May 2001) contains a cast bullet article using the rifle you mention. A good bit of load data is included. Good luck-

Nrut
09-01-2008, 04:34 PM
ktw... I see Davidsons has changed their site since I was there last..Much more info now as all they had before was barrel length and total rifle weight IIRC...

ISS/Rich... I plan on using this rifle for hunting using the RCBS .375 gc. cast boolit which comes out at 269grs. with my WW's...There is no BPCR competion 1000yd or Silhouette with in a days drive from here as far as I know...wish there was...I just got a bunch of 9.3X74R Hornady brass a few weeks ago and no 9.3X74R...got any ideas? :lol:

lotech... I have the issue of HANDLOADER that your refer to...Lots of good smokless loading data there for sure and that's what I plan on using is smokless..

Doc HighWall... do scope rings come with this rifle? If not, do you know where they can be purchased?

Thanks again...
:smile:

Doc Highwall
09-01-2008, 09:20 PM
Nrut, they do not come with rings or bases. The Weaver bases for it are # 11 for the front, and # 29 for the rear. The front base will fit by sliding the elevator all the way forward in the sight so it will not get lost. These are what I put on mine.

Nrut
09-01-2008, 09:24 PM
Thanks Doc!... Weavers sound good...;)

NHlever
09-01-2008, 10:01 PM
ktw... I...I just got a bunch of 9.3X74R Hornady brass a few weeks ago and no 9.3X74R...got any ideas? :lol:

[:smile:

Pester a Ruger distributor...... seems like there were some No.1's made in that caliber...... or maybe will be?