PDA

View Full Version : Thermometer's face gone brown!

Blackwater
11-21-2005, 03:28 AM
Well, some time ago, I decided to leave my Lyman casting thermometer in the mix, for constant monitoring of the alloy temp. Not so good a move. The apparently paper (?) face with the numbers on it kinna' swinged up a bit, and is now a medium brown color. Didn't catch it until I glanced at it, and glad I caught it before it went coal black.

Is there a thermometer that will endure constant submersion in the pot? Just curious. Would let me keep up a better rhythm. I wanted to constantly monitor temp so that I could observe temp's effect as I cast. I did a lot of experimenting and eval work in that session, and actually learned a thing or two, or maybe I should say RE-learned a thing or two. Would like to find a thermometer that would let me constantly monitor the temp without making me stop and put the thermometer in, etc., if there's one out there. Was casting as hot as 850 at the time the face went brown. Should'a known, I guess, but I've done worse.

Springfield
11-21-2005, 02:44 PM
I leave my Brownell's in there all the time, been a couple of years casting 3 times a week,still very white.

StarMetal
11-21-2005, 03:05 PM
My thermometer is and industrial thermometer I got from the oil refinery. They have to hold up under constant use.

Joe

Marc2
11-21-2005, 05:29 PM
My RCBS stays in the pot. The lens fogs up occasionally but clears right up after casting.

Marc In VA

Ken O
11-21-2005, 08:09 PM
I always leave my Lyman in the pot and haven't had any problem.

762cavalier
11-22-2005, 12:07 AM
Oh I thought you were supposed to keep the thermometer in the melt so you could monitor temperature. My lyman has done it several times already and seems to work just fine

Blackwater
11-22-2005, 03:18 AM
Hmmm. Well blyme! Most of my casting for the past several years has been BPCR bullets of 30:1 or 20:1, and run hot at 800-850. With the turkey fryer, I probably eked up to 900 a time or two. Wonder if this caused it? It's rated to 1000 degrees, so I didn't think lead would discolor it. Could be a "bad" batch of paper or whatever fiber it's made of, I guess. I may email Lyman and ask them. Thanks for the info. Not many casters in my area, so don't have many to consult with on matters like this. You guys sure do help! Thanks.