PDA

View Full Version : .54 Derringer

Buckshot Bill
12-30-2017, 11:07 PM
I took a break from the Renegade Pistol and decided to finish the derringer that I had started. I got sloppy on the lock inletting, I wanted to get the lock set last night before I had to go to bed and rushed it (foolishly). Regardless I think it turned out o.k for my first sidelock. I sure learned a LOT, so there's that at least. The barrel was a 3" stub of 7/8" .54 barrel from a CVA I forget the model, a stalker carbine, or some such. I purchased a breech plug, drum and nipple and installed them, I made the stock from a chunk of walnut, trigger guard, trigger and pins I made from raw materials as well. The lock was a spare CVA lock I had laying around. I grab any ML parts I see cheap at flea markets so wind up with surplus of everything, my goal is to start building guns from all the pieces I have accumulated. Total cash investment in this is less than $30

rodwha
12-30-2017, 11:32 PM
That is way too cool! I like the large caliber as well!

Will you be firing it? I'm a bit curious what such a short barrel could produce. The .44 cal Philadelphia derringer seems anemic from what I recall. Often wondered what a slightly longer barrel would do for it (~4.5").

Just looked up the velocity given for a .44 derringer using 30 grns of 3F Swiss producing 579 fps. With that charge of Goex it produced 419 fps.

Buckshot Bill
12-31-2017, 12:00 AM
Yes ill be firing it tomorrow over the chrony. I popped a couple shots off tonight even though it was dark just becuase I had to. 15 grn Pyro P was very unsatisfying, 30 grns was better, :D I want to build another with a proper philly lock so it can be made a little more proportioned, maybe in a .56 smoothbore and about 4" of barrel. I also want ramrod provisions on the next one I think. Even though many did not have them.

Buckshot Bill
12-31-2017, 03:58 PM
Shot a few shots today before my fingers went numb. averaged 530 fps. I was shooting 40 grains of FFFg Goex with a .530 RB and .015" patch. velocity increased slightly with each shot since I wasn't cleaning between shots. Groups @ 10 yards were inside 2" with the bead sight but it's shooting about 6" low so I'll probably rig up as low profile of a rear blade sight as I can to get it to hit POA.

rodwha
12-31-2017, 09:23 PM
I'd certainly like to see some ballistics gel results. As I recall the derringer used on Lincoln didn't seem to penetrate that deep.

The derringer used in the book I have that I gave results for penetrated 1" of pine board, which back then was considered barely lethal.

Buckshot Bill
12-31-2017, 09:37 PM
Ball is quite a bit heavier so I'm sure it will penetrate deeper than a .45. I know I wouldn't want to catch one. No gel on hand, might shoot some other stuff with it tomorrow though just for kicks.

Fly
12-31-2017, 09:41 PM
I have one just like that I bought about 1978 in kit form. Want some fun, shoot it at night. It will light up the hill side.
Oh mine is just a .45 cal.
Fly:bigsmyl2:

Boz330
01-01-2018, 12:03 PM
I have one of the early CVA colonial pistols as well as the Philadelphia Derringer. Never shot the Derringer but put quite a few rounds through the Colonial pistol. IIRC the kits were less than $20 back then (1974 or so).
I had a buddy that pulled the breech plug on one and cut the rifling deeper as an experiment and that thing shot like a house afire. After that he started recutting rifling for guys in his club in the Cincinnati area when their rifles needed freshing out. They all raved about how good they shot afterwards. Problem was that he was only making about 50 cents an hour for his time.

Bob

Eddie2002
01-01-2018, 12:33 PM
That's real cute, makes me want to start looking around for parts for a build like that.