PDA

View Full Version : Yard sale find

jaysouth
12-30-2017, 10:29 PM
I found these at a yard sale about a months ago. A buck apiece. I got both for a buck and took them home. I soaked in CLR for three days, then wiped them down. I pickled the blades with vinegar and spent some times making both razor sharp.

Nothing like old carbon steel blades for a sharp edge. These will go to deer camp and enjoy a good 2d life.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l222/jwsoutherland/20171212_230555%201_zpsxvzkgtkt.jpg (http://s97.photobucket.com/user/jwsoutherland/media/20171212_230555%201_zpsxvzkgtkt.jpg.html)

tinhorn97062
12-30-2017, 10:33 PM
Good score! I’ve got a ~60yr old cast iron pan that was $5. I scrubbed it down, greased it up, and it’s been my favorite pan ever since.

nagantguy
12-30-2017, 10:38 PM
That is my favorite yard sale find; have dozens of very old very sharp high carbon knives;the best one though is the one with J N S stamped on the rivets, that was my great x2 grandfather,he made knives and saddles and whatever else , it is a simple knives made from an old file, and is sharp enough to cut a molecule. Few years back when my daughter got her first deer, I cried tears of joy when she helped make it into meat with that very knife. It was like a 100 years of my people were here together in my kitchen about to pressure can a batch of great grandmas canned venison.

samari46
12-30-2017, 11:25 PM
I've had some "Old Hickory" knives that were bought over 30 years ago and still get used almost daily. Still take a nice edge even after the wife gets done with them. Frank

starmac
12-30-2017, 11:33 PM
I always liked old hickory knives, grew up using them. We used them to even scrape hogs when I was a kid. I bought some new ones a few years ago, and I think it will take a side gringer to even think about putting any type of edge on them, they must have been sued from someone that cut a finger or something.

birch
12-31-2017, 02:09 AM
Very nice score! That little one will be a potato peeling/cutting machine. Makes me want to fire up a pan of them right now.

rond
12-31-2017, 10:02 AM
Nice, I wonder if that's an A G Russell.

NyFirefighter357
12-31-2017, 10:04 AM
Rehabilitating old knifes is a little hobby of mine. I find many old knives in basements , some so rusty the last inch of the point is gone. I'll also check the kitchen draws of estate where someone had died and the family is cleaning out the house. Some that were sharpened with the old can opener sharpeners and have a gouge close to handle from uneven pressure. I sand & grind and file to reshape them then sharpen them to a razors edge with a mix of belt sanders, carborundum stones, diamond stones, ceramic and diamond hones. I also have made a few I've made & several I haven't finished. There is nothing better than a good knife. When I learn of a family member or friend in need of a good knife as many don't have a sharp knife in the house, I make a cardboard sheath and gift them a suitable knife. Usually these knives sit in a draw in the sheath in there house waiting for me to use when I'm visiting because they are so sharp they are afraid of it. Bu that's OK, because there's always a sharp knife waiting for me to use in there kitchen. When I head to someones house for the holidays or a party I always bring a few knives and my 3 sides diamond sharpener as I always work myself into the kitchen to cook. I'll post some pics later. My wife is on blood thinners so I bought her a filleting glove to help protect her hand while using sharp knives.

nagantguy
12-31-2017, 10:07 AM
Rehabilitating old knifes is a little hobby of mine. I find many old knives in basements , some so rusty the last inch of the point is gone. I'll also check the kitchen draws of estate where someone had died and the family is cleaning out the house. Some that were sharpened with the old can opener sharpeners and have a gouge close to handle from uneven pressure. I sand & grind and file to reshape them then sharpen them to a razors edge with a mix of belt sanders, carborundum stones, diamond stones, ceramic and diamond hones. I also have made a few I've made & several I haven't finished. There is nothing better than a good knife. When I learn of a family member or friend in need of a good knife as many don't have a sharp knife in the house, I make a cardboard sheath and gift them a suitable knife. Usually these knives sit in a draw in the sheath in there house waiting for me to use when I'm visiting because they are so sharp they are afraid of it. Bu that's OK, because there's always a sharp knife waiting for me to use in there kitchen. When I head to someones house for the holidays or a party I always bring a few knives and my 3 sides diamond sharpener as I always work myself into the kitchen to cook. I'll post some pics later.

I also am often asked to sharpen knives when I visit people, so I keep a stone,ceramic and strop in my truck kit

NyFirefighter357
12-31-2017, 10:22 AM
This is a Damascus Japanese Shun knife given to me by a teaching chef who's student put 2 knicks in the blade. This knife retails for $170 I still need to etch the blade to show the Damascus layers. Before https://i.imgur.com/5P8vQ1um.jpg
After https://i.imgur.com/16EmfUBm.jpg

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/shun-premier-7-inch-asian-cooks-knife/1061769939?skuId=61769939&utm_source=bingpla&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=ProductType1%3Dknives&mcid=PS_bingpla_nonbrand_cutlery_&creative=9338890572&device=c&matchtype=e&mrkgadid=3022663631&mrkgcl=609&rkg_id=h-18427690ba66be1a8a7579de0eb32c0c_t-1514729806

NyFirefighter357
12-31-2017, 10:30 AM
I got this one yesterday It's a Solingen, made in Germany https://i.imgur.com/5rN5O7ym.jpg

DCM
12-31-2017, 10:31 AM
Great find! I need to learn to properly sharpen knives, I can improve their sharpness but nothing like my FIL or hunting partner. My hunting partner gets them so you actually shave with them, which is his final test to see if he is done with it!
Any tips?

NyFirefighter357
12-31-2017, 10:32 AM
These are some of the kitchen/butcher knives
https://i.imgur.com/qAo61aP.jpg?1

GhostHawk
12-31-2017, 10:40 AM
I have some Old Hickory's, some old Remington Butcher knives, some no name knock off's that look like an old Hickory but probably are not.

They all take an hold an edge like a dream.

You can do it with stainless it just takes a lot more time. High carbon is quick and easy.

This one is the pigsticker.

richhodg66
12-31-2017, 10:40 AM
I have a few old carbon steel butcher knives I use when I process deer. They do work better than most of the stainless steel ones nowadays and are easier to put an edge on.

I really do wish I could sharpen things like my dad, but try as he might, he's never been able to quite get it through to me how he does it. With five minutes and a piece of sandstone out of a creek that man could put a shaving edge on a 2x4". I do Ok, but can't seem to get the knack for that.

Texas by God
12-31-2017, 01:27 PM
This is Granddad's corn knife. Dad told me his dad shaped a piece of steel on a pedal grinder and when it was passed to me it had a shotgun shell pommel and a badly split Bois d'arc handle. I epoxied an ash handle on it to make it usable again. I'm sure the curved blade came from use or maybe he shaped it that way on purpose.
I skinned a deer with it and it worked great.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171231/6e04c471e029240ee2e2842c79c3433e.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

NyFirefighter357
12-31-2017, 04:15 PM
The key to sharpening is keeping the correct angle on both sides as well as the same stroke length. It takes lots of practice to keep these two the same. For those who really can't get the knack you can always cheat and use a draw through sharpener like these. The yellow one is carbide steel as the course and ceramic for the fine & the black one is diamond for the course and ceramic for the fine. https://i.imgur.com/i4EmOQ4.jpg?1.

Texas by God
12-31-2017, 06:30 PM
I hear you Rich. I have many different sharpening systems but I can't get a razor edge on anything. Once a year I gather all my hunting knives and take them to a knife shop where a charming Japanese woman does her magic for $2 per knife.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

xs11jack
12-31-2017, 08:51 PM
I can put a edge on knives that will shave hair off my arm but my problem is consistency. Most times I do fine but now and then I can't make it work no how. I have finally found a sharpen my wife will use most of the time, it's that yellow one up two posts from me. She says that she doesn't want to go to all the messing around and besides if I am around I'll do it for her. If not she will use the yellow thing, in fact I have used it a time or two.
Ole Jack

MaryB
12-31-2017, 11:09 PM
I would not use those on my knives! Angles are often wrong so you end up having to reprofile the blade to put a decent edge back on.

I use an edgpro sharpening system. Angle is adjustable and the blade is held on a little shelf so the angle stays even as you sharpen. Not cheap but I seem to sharpen everybody and their brothers knives and it has paid for itself. $5 to sharpen a chef's knife and it only takes 10 minutes unless I need to reset the edge or remove a bad nick, then I charge $10. Reminds me... I need to sharpen my chefs knife that I use every day... been close to a year and the steel isn't correcting the edge anymore.

The key to sharpening is keeping the correct angle on both sides as well as the same stroke length. It takes lots of practice to keep these two the same. For those who really can't get the knack you can always cheat and use a draw through sharpener like these. The yellow one is carbide steel as the course and ceramic for the fine & the black one is diamond for the course and ceramic for the fine. https://i.imgur.com/i4EmOQ4.jpg?1.

fiberoptik
12-31-2017, 11:15 PM
Hard to clean the ceramic side to remove the metal vs a flat stone, coffee cup bottom, plate, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk