PDA

View Full Version : harvest right freeze dryer

rancher1913
12-29-2017, 09:47 PM
we just purchased one of the harvest right freeze dryers, been wanting one for years but the cost was too much. found out yesterday that they are on sale and the wife found several fb groups devoted to freeze drying that all had good things to say about the current units. so we got it on the layaway program and hopefully my off ranch job lasts long enough to get it paid for. (could buy quite a few really nice rifles for what we paid)

does anybody here have one, any tips or advice. hoping this will allow my wife to empty the regular freezers and take some of the risk out of losing electricity and having food spoil.

the early units did not have very good reviews but they seem to have most of the bugs worked out now and lots of the reviews I am reading now, the poster is planning to purchase a 2nd unit because they love preserving food this way.

MUSTANG
12-29-2017, 10:03 PM
We are envious. Just have not been able to justify the expense of the Harvest Right FreezeDryer when we have success with Freezing from the Garden and Calves/Chickens (4 Freezers), canning (Old Mason Jar Style), and some Jerky making using a Smoker.

Geezer in NH
12-29-2017, 10:10 PM
Nice I am envious.

MaryB
12-29-2017, 11:00 PM
On my want list but way out of my price range.

rancher1913
12-30-2017, 12:49 AM
mustang we have been doing the same as you for a long time and we are hoping that we can cut back to just one freezer, the electric bill is getting ridiculous with 5 freezers. we have been drying food and that works good but we are hoping that the freeze dryer will replace at least 3 freezers. the wife is hoping to fd ham for her meals in a jar stuff as honeyville seems to always be sold out of ham.

not to be a salesman but harvest right has a great layaway program and them being on sale pushed us into going for it.

Down South
12-30-2017, 11:26 AM
Congrats on your freeze dryer. I've thought about getting one, but like you the price for a good one is high.
I do pressure can meats. And I do preserve some beans and rice in Mylar bags with oxygen absorbers.

edler7
12-30-2017, 03:14 PM
I have some extra oxygen absorbers here. 5 in-laws that have been here since before Christmas. I'd put them in a bag of food and seal it, but there wouldn't be any food left when I opened it.

Is that harvest right big enough for my problem ?

Down South
12-30-2017, 03:52 PM
I have some extra oxygen absorbers here. 5 in-laws that have been here since before Christmas. I'd put them in a bag of food and seal it, but there wouldn't be any food left when I opened it.

Is that harvest right big enough for my problem ?
LOL, I don't think the Harvest Right will correct your oxygen absorber problem.