PDA

View Full Version : New Lyman turret press

mwhite49
12-29-2017, 09:43 PM
Someone has mentioned that Lyman is coming out with a new 8 station turret press. That has to be a monster.

flashhole
12-30-2017, 03:27 PM
There was an active thread on one of the forums about all the new Lyman presses with pictures. The 8-station turret press looked the most interesting but it didn't look overly massive nor overly inventive.

LUBEDUDE
12-30-2017, 04:31 PM
Look on page three towards the bottom of the page, for now at least. Tomorrow it may reach page four.

Livin_cincy
01-09-2018, 07:14 PM
They have pictures up on their Website:
https://www.lymanproducts.com

Bumslie
01-10-2018, 10:13 PM
I generally poo poo lyman products but the turret has me intrigued.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Hamish
01-10-2018, 10:52 PM

Removable turrets too. I think they've got a winner.

omgb
01-11-2018, 11:25 AM
So Lyman has managed to knockoff the Redding T7. I wonder if it is as good?

trapper9260
01-11-2018, 12:28 PM
I wonder for what holds the turret can take the pressure of the size of the case. I have the old T press and the bolt that holds the turret, need to make sure you do not break the bolt. I got a single stage to do all my size of cases it is a used one.

LUBEDUDE
01-11-2018, 04:17 PM
So Lyman has managed to knockoff the Redding T7. I wonder if it is as good?

I wonder as well. However, one upside is that the Lyman is an 8 holer vs 7 on the Redding.

Drew P
01-12-2018, 01:22 AM
I think Redding still gets the nod on this one if nothing else because they were already doing it.

Also, near as I seem to see they have one of the worst customer service in the industry. (Still above average)

flashhole
01-12-2018, 09:17 AM
Who is "they" ... Hornady?

Drew P
01-12-2018, 12:47 PM
Redding?

flashhole
01-12-2018, 02:04 PM
No, he was talking about the worst customer service.

Drew P
01-12-2018, 02:05 PM
Oh, no I think Lyman has the less stellar customer service when compared to hornady Redding Dillon rcbs lee etc etc but honestly I haven’t had a lot of experience woth them so I shouldn’t disparage them.

rototerrier
01-12-2018, 03:37 PM
Main reason I'd avoid it is because of the open primer catcher. I prefer captured systems like Hornady, Lee, Redding and Forster. I just recently bought and returned a Rock Chucker Supreme because of this. I didn't realize it had an open catcher system that was horrible at best. I replaced it with a Redding T7 and couldn't be happier. I've had the press for a couple weeks and it's just a pleasure to use.

I do like the idea of the 8 positions, but not for the obvious reason. I'd assume having 8 positions will give you 4 equally spaced holes for the rotation bar. The only complaint I have about the T7 is that it has only 3 bar positions and 2 are equally spaced and the 3rd isn't. I know, it's nit picky, but I've already had to fiddle around with my die placement to ensure I get things where the bar is conveniently positioned for the reloading process. Having 4 equally positioned holes would make it just a smidge nicer. This is really the only complaint I can come up with for the T7.

I've seen reviews and complaints where folks say there's too much play in the T7 turret head, but I've not experienced this. If you look super close you can barely see any rocking. You can't see it unless you specifically look very closely for it. The tolerances are quite tight. I'll be curious how the lyman compares. This has always been an issue that comes up around these style presses.

flashhole
01-12-2018, 03:41 PM
If you can see it, it's too much.

rototerrier
01-12-2018, 04:50 PM
If you can see it, it's too much.

Then that would eliminate any turret press, cause you simply can't have a turret that turns not have some amount of wiggle. I consider it a fine tradeoff.

Not to mention, I've used a Lee Turret for many years and have produced perfectly fine ammo, for my needs, and it moves a HUGE amount. I believe Lee likes to claim that the movement is beneficial and allows things to float. I can't really claim that I know enough about it to give an opinion. I just know both my Redding and my Lee produce ammo fine enough for me and the Lee flexes huge amounts and the Redding moves whatever smidge of space is there for the turret to turn.

And let me clarify even further on what I mean by being able to see it. I can't see it from the front when using it. I can only see it move if I look up under the back of the turret head where the gap is located. I can see that gap open and close. This is why I said you have to be looking for it. You can't just see it move. Some folks say they can actually see their turret head move from straight on, I can't.

flashhole
01-12-2018, 05:10 PM
When the turret is pressed against a hard stop there is no gap and there is no wiggle.

I have two Lee turret presses. They make very high quality ammo.

KenT7021
01-12-2018, 07:11 PM
I have two turret presses.The Lyman TMag II has no play or flex in the turret.The RCBS turret press has flex in the turret.I contacted RCBS and they sent me a new washer for the turret retaining bolt.That helped but the turret still had up and down play.I tried a shim washer which removed the play but then I couldn't rotate the turret.The ammo loaded on the press is fine.I suspect some play is designed into the press.

OS OK
01-13-2018, 11:22 AM
I don't think Lyman is trying to sell us T-Mag II users a new press especially those who have collected 4~6 extra turrets and keep them set up for specific calibers. No matter how you set these presses up/single caliber, there's still 1~2 holes left unused.
I think, 'they' think...they need to look like the Redding for some reason, like-'more is better'...it ain't gonna happen.

There is a hex-screw post in the rear that allows the adjustment of that gap to be minimized and if you are stuffing with j-types you can run 2 calibers per turret with these old ones too.

flashhole
01-13-2018, 04:17 PM
There are turret presses out there with a lot more die stations. Look at the Hollywood or Herter's presses. It has already happened.

omgb
01-13-2018, 05:12 PM
I have more than enough holes in my T7 thank you. In fact, I had Buckshot bore one hole out and thread it fine for an old set of Lachmiller 12 ga dies. Because it had just 7 holes there was enough “meat” to get away with this

Drew P
01-14-2018, 02:26 AM
I have more than enough holes in my T7 thank you. In fact, I had Buckshot bore one hole out and thread it fine for an old set of Lachmiller 12 ga dies. Because it had just 7 holes there was enough “meat” to get away with this
Bonus! What thread size did they call for?

OS OK
01-14-2018, 07:54 AM
There are turret presses out there with a lot more die stations. Look at the Hollywood or Herter's presses. It has already happened.

No, not the number of holes in a turret...they are not going to get T Mag II users to swap up for more holes when the amount they have now is sufficient.

Bmi48219
01-14-2018, 09:14 AM
Is Lyman discontinuing the T-Mag II? If so additional turrets may be available at reduced $$, at least for a while. Not crazy about the T-Mag primer are but decided shortly after purchasing the press that a bench priming unit is better suited to my reloading routine. For that matter, I don't de-prime on press either. For my needs the T-Mag II is good enough.