PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Pro Melt

georgewxxx
12-28-2017, 01:37 PM
After reading several comments on the new and older RCBS Pro Melts(Mostly positive) I wanted to share what I've done to improve on it some.

My RCBS Pro Melt is about 10 years old. Not long after I started using it I decided to add some stainless steel to keep the splattered lead from sticking to the green paint. I'm not a cleanliness freak but the lead adhered so bad it looked terrible and very hard to remove from the pot. Lead still spatters to the top of the pot, but not near as bad as the it did on the bottom. I also have a big sheet of SS in front also to keep the bench clean also. The SS was from a discarded commercial sink top.

I drop my finished product on an old folded mattress pad I've used for 40 years to keep the damage to the hot soft boolits to a minimum.

ioon44
12-29-2017, 09:59 AM
I set my Pro Melt in large cookie sheet, this catches most of the splatter. I use a scraper to remove the splatter from the green paint, so far I have not damaged any of the paint.

Walter Laich
12-29-2017, 03:57 PM
mine is a used one and masked off the good paint areas then sprayed high temp black on the bare spots.

Not as good looking as yours but OK for me.

next time I have to take it apart will do a better job and paint entire case same color--course the lead doesn't care what color the pot is

Lloyd Smale
12-31-2017, 07:51 AM
mines are well used tools. I could care less if they win a beauty contest. To me that's about like painting your saw or hammer after you use it. Or doing a complete stripping and cleaning of every gun I shoot. Wipe it down and put it away. Paint doesn't effect its operation one bit.

Grmps
12-31-2017, 01:44 PM
If I was worried about looks, I'd be in trouble. I'm just happy when everything functions properly. I'm not saying that I don't take care of my equipment, they all get maintained regularly. It would be nice if mine looked as pristine as yours.

jsizemore
01-01-2018, 11:28 AM
That's some fine sheetmetal work. I have a corn muffin pan under the spout for the drips and the tops on it's own.

lightman
01-01-2018, 01:02 PM
The only mod that I have made for mine was a piece of flay bar drilled to bolt to one of the top bolts to hole a thermometer or temp probe. Your base plate looks nice!