PDA

View Full Version : Newbie for CASS

robertbank
11-21-2005, 01:57 AM
OK I love my IDPA shooting but wife bought me a Beretta Stampeder .45 Colt. Want more. So my question is what rifle for CASS. I like the lever guns just because they look they look the part. I 'll have a 20 or 12 gauge Norinco Coach Gun for my shotgun. If I'm wrong about the lever gun tell me a pump is better. I reload so pistols don't have to match rifle.

Stay Safe

Denver
11-21-2005, 10:44 AM
There's a good selection of lever guns available for your intended use. The most popular are the Marlins and Winchester 92 clones and originals. The best out of the box are the Marlins for ease of tune up and reliability. I have 2 in 357 Mag. a 94C carbine and the 24 inch barrel Cowboy. Both shoot well with cast. Something I could never achieve with the other Marlins in 44-40, 44Mag and 45 Colt.
Lots of guys shoot the 92s and claim to get great accuracy with them. The only 92 I have any experience with is a Browning B92 in 44 mag that shoots well enough for CAS, but is disappointing for any serious use with higher velocity at longer ranges.
Then there are the Henrys, 66s, and the 73 clones, all of which start at much higher prices, and usually require some 'smithing to get them to top notch functioning.
My recommendation would be a Marlin in 357 mag.

mag_01
11-21-2005, 12:12 PM
:lovebooli I like the Marlin 30-30- mod. 366 very forgiving and easy to work with---I shoot 160 gr. lead G/C with AA5744 with good results in fact I can punch a clean hole in a 3/8s steel plate at 50 yrds.---3 shots 3 clean holes--and as far as Micro groves with lead I have sized .309 and .311 --- both shoot well---enjoy our sport of shooting---Mag

Throckmorton
11-21-2005, 12:41 PM
use the same caliber as your pistols,and the same load.We ain''t knockin' rams down,it just has to get there and go 'ding'.
or in my case,CLANG!! I don't shoot wimp loads.:)
The marlin is a great starter gun,not sure if they make it in.45 though.
I use a Rossi that's been tunded some,but it's still not as fast as a tuned Marlin.
btw,you will need 2 pistols,and thutty thutty is not a main match caliber...side match only.
the winchester '73 clones come in a lot of different confiurations,and they can be made to go as fast as anybody can crank 'em.
Just to add to the mix;
Taurus just came out with a pump rifle like the old Lightenings.reave reviews so far,especially the price...mid 350.00's

SharpsShooter
11-21-2005, 01:12 PM
Marlin makes the 1894 in 45 colt. It is the 1894CBC. I'm along the same line of thought...2 guns...1 caliber.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firearms/leverActionCB_rifles/1894CBC-45.htm

robertbank
11-21-2005, 01:46 PM
Thanks guys for the suggestions. Something to ponder over. Like the idea of one caliber. Will look at the Marlin and investigate the Taurus.

Stay Safe