PDA

View Full Version : Sprue plate source

JRLesan
12-27-2017, 09:02 AM
I am looking for a sprue plate for a lyman single cavity mold for the old style small blocks. Have emailed KAL but no response as yet. Google search only shows up the larger (?) plate for the newer style larger s/c blocks. My blocks, which I got off fleabay have a home made version which works but sprue is way off center.

pjames32
12-27-2017, 11:44 AM
Midway used to stock them.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-27-2017, 12:17 PM
Sometimes it's easier and cheaper to find/buy a troublesome mold, just for the sprue plate.

1Hawkeye
12-27-2017, 01:47 PM
Try Lyman they may still have some.

georgerkahn
12-27-2017, 08:23 PM
A great (imho) source is north of that double yellow line drawn on most maps:
http://www.kal.castpics.net/Molds3.html
Buffalo Arms has a sprue plate listed: https://www.buffaloarms.com/lyman-mould-repair-kit-for-large-single-cavity-lyman-molds-lym2680100
Good luck!
geo

skeettx
12-27-2017, 09:22 PM
The need is for lyman single cavity mold for the old style small blocks

http://www.kal.castpics.net/Molds3.html

hermans
12-28-2017, 01:35 AM
I am looking for a sprue plate for a lyman single cavity mold for the old style small blocks. Have emailed KAL but no response as yet. Google search only shows up the larger (?) plate for the newer style larger s/c blocks. My blocks, which I got off fleabay have a home made version which works but sprue is way off center.

If you look in Cast Bullets by Col EH Harrison, on page 60 is a very nice article on how to make the plate yourself. I made some in the past, even using uluminum and it works great, and I am no expert!
To get hold of the book, do a search here on the forum and you will find this very informative book in pdf format.

KenT7021
12-28-2017, 03:12 PM
It looks like KAL tool has the correct sprue plate.I recently got one from Gun Parts Corp as part of a 5 lbs of reloading tool related parts for $25.00 but that was just luck.You could call them to see if they have any.

JRLesan
12-28-2017, 07:37 PM
I believe I mentioned in the second sentence of my original post that I have emailed KAL but no response. The problem with finding a troublesome mold is it may have a bad sprue plate just like the (troublesome) mold I already have. I have Harrisons's book from the 80's and will look that article up. Meanwhile, if someone has a 'troublesome' small block single cavity mold with a good sprue plate let me know...

earlmck
12-28-2017, 08:32 PM
If the boolet fills out ok then the sprue hole being off center is no big deal. At one time I played with positioning the sprue plate clear over past the edge to reduce the size of the cut-off, thinking I could improve accuracy with less sprue cut. Didn't help noticeably, but didn't hurt either.

I quit worrying about it.

55fairlane
12-28-2017, 08:53 PM
One could get a ground fist plate (most tool steels like A1,O1 or W1) are offered that way, drill and counter sink or use a center drill for the fill hole, drill for the pivot screw

If you go this way, low speed for the counter sink to Keep chatter down, if the cutter still wants to chatter, "clog the flutes with a shop towl,and increase feed....

Aaron