PDA

View Full Version : Kroil to clean screw and screw hole?

Naphtali
12-27-2017, 06:31 AM
After I clean a screw hole and screw with Kroil penetrating oil, will there be any problems using removable Lock-tite (spelling??) as fastening/holding agent for holding the screw within the hole?

Isaac
12-27-2017, 07:09 AM
I've done this many times and never noticed any issues. After I clean the hole I will follow with a clean patch to remove any residual liquid.

Isaac

55fairlane
12-27-2017, 07:21 AM
"Degrease" the hole with some acetone, enamel reducer, or something like it, then after that has flashed off, loc tite away

georgerkahn
12-27-2017, 09:06 AM
++ on 55fairlane's comment! I generally replace the Kroil with Ronsonol lighter fluid to hopefully dilute/replace most of it and then got the bright idea -- which works -- of using the long teeny tube on brake-cleaner aerosol, with the tip actually at bottom of hole as I press release. One "tip" and one necessity: WEAR SAFETY GOGGLES (necessity!) as it squirts right back; and, I put an old towel about everything that may be dripped upon -- this, being the "tip".
geo

jonp
12-27-2017, 09:55 AM
Degrease the hole and screw for max hold. A squirt of carb cleaner on the screw and into the hole will work but I generally use Acetone. I buy it by the gallon at Lowes to make penetrating oil

waksupi
12-27-2017, 10:06 AM
I generally use fingernail polish, rather than Locktite. Easier to remove a screw in the future if you need to.

country gent
12-27-2017, 01:19 PM
Kroil is a vary light penetrating oil. Using it to clean and lubricate parts pieces is what its meant to do. we used it ilubricators for the ball slide post in dies at work. As to cleaning for Loctite application it will act as a release agent weakening the bond of the Loctite. I use nail polish or enamel paint more than locktite on small screws as its easier to get them loose when needed. Even blue locktite on #8 screws properly cleaned is pretty much permanent with out heat, and even then its sometimes iffy. Green or red lockitite is even harder to break loose.